Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,191,834 members, 7,945,682 topics. Date: Tuesday, 10 September 2024 at 11:22 PM

Nasa Starts Year-long Isolation To Simulate Life On Mars - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Nasa Starts Year-long Isolation To Simulate Life On Mars (680 Views)

Ten of the greatest threats that could wipe out all life on Earth / New Satelite And Rover (exomars) Launches To Mars (photos) / Is There Life On Mars? Bizarre Photos Of 'iguanas, Mermaids And Spaceships' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nasa Starts Year-long Isolation To Simulate Life On Mars by bankoleben(m): 8:03pm On Aug 29, 2015
A team of Nasa recruits has begun living in a dome near a barren volcano in Hawaii to simulate what life would be like on Mars.

The isolation experience, which will last a year starting on Friday, will be the longest of its type attempted.

Experts estimate that a human mission to the Red Planet could take between one and three years.

The six-strong team will live in close quarters under the dome, without fresh air, fresh food or privacy.

They closed themselves away at 15:00 local time on Friday (01:00 GMT Saturday).

A journey outside the dome - which measures only 36ft (11m) in diameter and is 20ft (6m) tall - will require a spacesuit.

A French astrobiologist, a German physicist and four Americans - a pilot, an architect, a journalist and a soil scientist - make up the Nasa team.

The men and women will each have a small sleeping cot and a desk inside their rooms. Provisions include powdered cheese and canned tuna.

Missions to the International Space Station last six months. The US space agency has recently conducted four-month and eight-month-long isolation experiments.

While others focus on the technical and scientific challenges of the journey, the isolation experiments address the human element of exploration and problems that arise living in tight quarters.

"I think one of the lessons is that you really can't prevent interpersonal conflicts. It is going to happen over these long-duration missions, even with the very best people," said Kim Binsted, a Nasa investigator.

https://alabaadeniyi./2015/08/29/nasa-starts-year-long-isolation-to-simulate-life-on-mars/

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-34092770

Re: Nasa Starts Year-long Isolation To Simulate Life On Mars by kelechiug: 8:07pm On Aug 29, 2015
yeah, read this on the guardian today, but if they sey make i do this one by force, i must sneak my phone inside cuz i must surf net no matter what grin grin
Re: Nasa Starts Year-long Isolation To Simulate Life On Mars by Dekatron(m): 8:12pm On Aug 29, 2015
Really?
Re: Nasa Starts Year-long Isolation To Simulate Life On Mars by Blakjewelry(m): 8:16pm On Aug 29, 2015
I can't wait for the day man will set feet on mars
Re: Nasa Starts Year-long Isolation To Simulate Life On Mars by johnydon22(m): 9:22pm On Aug 29, 2015
kelechiug:
yeah, read this on the guardian today, but if they sey make i do this one by force, i must sneak my phone inside cuz i must surf net no matter what grin grin
You will have fully operational systems inside the dome. . so you have no problem..
Re: Nasa Starts Year-long Isolation To Simulate Life On Mars by johnydon22(m): 9:26pm On Aug 29, 2015
Am loving this, its breathe taking to think that with each passing day, man takes more bold step that gets him closer and closer and closer to the red planet. .

One cannot help but simply love #Science... I am hopeful that in a short while we will see humans on mars too and then we will fully find out what exactly that planet is all about..

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

The Genetic Inheritance Is Weirder Than We Thought --- Scientists / Very Hot On Mtn.!!! Read How To Get 11.5GB For Just N1000 On MTN. / Check Out This RC Bike That Was Made By A Young Nigerian

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.