Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,985 members, 7,873,174 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 09:10 AM

Niger Delta Activists Protest The Siting Of A $1.5 Billion Dry Dock In Lagos - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Niger Delta Activists Protest The Siting Of A $1.5 Billion Dry Dock In Lagos (25153 Views)

Niger Delta Activists; Annkio briggs– Dissociate South South From Biafra / EFCC Planned Seizure Of Tompolo’s Assets Splits N-delta Activists / Nigerian Gay Activists Protest, Ask Buhari To Repeal Nigeria's Antigay Law (Pics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Niger Delta Activists Protest The Siting Of A $1.5 Billion Dry Dock In Lagos by aleem50(m): 9:31am On Sep 01, 2015
kponkanaG3:
omo thanks for the correction but it doesn't need to come with an insult. And again I am not comparing SS&SE if you read my post carefully I was just trying to make a point
sorry for the insult bro.
Re: Niger Delta Activists Protest The Siting Of A $1.5 Billion Dry Dock In Lagos by oluamid(m): 10:03am On Sep 01, 2015
CSTR2:
Absolute bullshitt.
How is badagry more feasible for a dry dock ?
Your country is afflicted with tribalism. Don't be an ostrich.

I take it you have done your own feasibility studies that suggests the ND is the better locale for the project, no?

It's not every single thing that should be looked through a tribal prism. Business and tribalism don't mix well.

1 Like

Re: Niger Delta Activists Protest The Siting Of A $1.5 Billion Dry Dock In Lagos by Guyman02: 10:15am On Sep 01, 2015
NLNG lying about the project, initially they claimed it was a joint venture and then later turned around to say they have no interest in it. The former MD who is Igbo man located the project in the Niger Delta and then the Yoruba MD Babs Omotowa decided to relocate it to Lagos.

The Yorubas had effectively used their control of the media in the past to deceive the Niger Deltans that Igbos who were suffering like them and do not own Oil wells like northerners and Yorubas are their enemies, but today the scales have fallen off their eyes to realise that a good road in Port Harcourt benefits the man in Enugu and a sea port in Onitsha benefits the man in Ikot Ekpene.
Re: Niger Delta Activists Protest The Siting Of A $1.5 Billion Dry Dock In Lagos by coolscott(m): 11:01am On Sep 01, 2015
lalasticlala:

Source: http://saharareporters.com/2015/08/31/photonews-niger-delta-activists-protest-siting-15-billion-dry-dock-lagos-state
SUGARBEE, mogidi, dunkem21, LadyF, rickrichards, amadice, atlwireles numerouno111

I am from the south-south but I say the Niger Deltans have nothing to protest about because

1) I believe it is not the fed govt building the shipping dock

2) It is not NLNG that it building the dry dock.

Any group of business people can come together and invest in any project in any part of the country so long as they are not breaking Any laws.

Nothing stops...

::: The Rivers state government from initiating such a project in Rivers state.

::: Individuals with money from rivers state from investing in establishing that kind of project in Rivers state.

::: The Rivers state govt from attracting foreign investment into the state in a foreign + local private sector + govt partnership in order to build something they know is needed and beneficial to the region.

Our people should learn to respect the power of private enterprise and use it in their favour and do what they can to improve themselves. Take responsibility

Do not take a perpetual beggarly stance.

1 Like

Re: Niger Delta Activists Protest The Siting Of A $1.5 Billion Dry Dock In Lagos by Atonto: 12:09pm On Sep 01, 2015
Mogidi:

Imagine the employment opportunities we're being denied by siting this project in Lagos.

Gbe enu re dake....Why dem no site am for Ekiti.... ND n Lagos is border by the same water, hence why must it be in ND. Na u get d Company ni?

1 Like

Re: Niger Delta Activists Protest The Siting Of A $1.5 Billion Dry Dock In Lagos by zimoni(f): 12:17pm On Sep 01, 2015
What a thread.

Intelligence is the Key.

Seek Intelligence and Every Other Things Will Fall In Place grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Proudly A Yoruba.

2 Likes

Re: Niger Delta Activists Protest The Siting Of A $1.5 Billion Dry Dock In Lagos by shurlermoz(m): 12:47pm On Sep 01, 2015
Mogidi:

Imagine the employment opportunities we're being denied by siting this project in Lagos.
Did you read the whole article?
The consortium is at liberty to site the dry dock wherever it deems ok.

1 Like

Re: Niger Delta Activists Protest The Siting Of A $1.5 Billion Dry Dock In Lagos by Ghost01(m): 1:37pm On Sep 01, 2015
Guyman02:
NLNG lying about the project, initially they claimed it was a joint venture and then later turned around to say they have no interest in it. The former MD who is Igbo man located the project in the Niger Delta and then the Yoruba MD Babs Omotowa decided to relocate it to Lagos.

The Yorubas had effectively used their control of the media in the past to deceive the Niger Deltans that Igbos who were suffering like them and do not own Oil wells like northerners and Yorubas are their enemies, but today the scales have fallen off their eyes to realise that a good road in Port Harcourt benefits the man in Enugu and a sea port in Onitsha benefits the man in Ikot Ekpene.
You guys keep saying the Yorubas control the media, ignorantly. Daar Communications (AIT + Ray Power) is owned by Dokpesi from Edo. Silverbird is owned by Murray-Bruce from Bayelsa. The Sun is owned by Uzor Kalu from Abia. The Guardian is owned by the Ibrus from Delta. Leadership is published by Nda-Isaiah. The Daily Trust is not controlled by Yorubas. So how do you substantiate your claim?

2 Likes

Re: Niger Delta Activists Protest The Siting Of A $1.5 Billion Dry Dock In Lagos by free13: 3:33pm On Sep 01, 2015
Guyman02:

The Yorubas had effectively used their control of the media in the past to deceive the Niger Deltans.
Re: Niger Delta Activists Protest The Siting Of A $1.5 Billion Dry Dock In Lagos by osemwengie1: 4:39pm On Sep 01, 2015
zeembab:

SITING THE DRY DOCK IN NIGER DELTA SO THAT THE YOUTH CAN START KIDNAPPING THE WORKERS AND CAUSING PROBLEM AT SLIGHTEST PROVOCATION.....COME TO THINK OF IT.....THESE ARE PRIVATE INVESTORS....NOT GOVERNMENT, THEY ARE FREE TO SITE THE PROJECT ANYWHERE THEY DEEM FIT.
Stupid yoruba goat. They should stop operating in the Niger Delta if that is the case. They should relocate to Lagos. Idiot.
Re: Niger Delta Activists Protest The Siting Of A $1.5 Billion Dry Dock In Lagos by osemwengie1: 4:42pm On Sep 01, 2015
zeembab:

COCONUT HEAD LIKE YOU.....WHEN OBJ REFUSED TO GIVE LAGOS STATE ITS SHARE OF FEDERAL ALLOCATION, DID WE NOT SURVIVE ? YOU GUYS CAN GO AND DRINK YOUR OIL FOR ALL I CARE....SINGAPORE, KOREA, MALAYSIA ARE EXAMPLE OF BIG ECONOMIES THAT ARE NOT BUILT OF NATURAL RESOURCES. NOTHING WILL HAPPEN IF YOU GUYS DECIDED TO LEAVE NIGERIA FEDERATION.

. Nothing will happen and yet, your poverty stricken states cannot pay salaries without oil money. Thunder will fire you people

1 Like

Re: Niger Delta Activists Protest The Siting Of A $1.5 Billion Dry Dock In Lagos by Nobody: 5:00pm On Sep 01, 2015
zeembab:

COCONUT HEAD LIKE YOU.....WHEN OBJ REFUSED TO GIVE LAGOS STATE ITS SHARE OF FEDERAL ALLOCATION, DID WE NOT SURVIVE ? YOU GUYS CAN GO AND DRINK YOUR OIL FOR ALL I CARE....SINGAPORE, KOREA, MALAYSIA ARE EXAMPLE OF BIG ECONOMIES THAT ARE NOT BUILT OF NATURAL RESOURCES. NOTHING WILL HAPPEN IF YOU GUYS DECIDED TO LEAVE NIGERIA FEDERATION.

olodo...it is the oil that pays every useless state its salaries...stop bragging like you can survive without oil....nonsense...if all the oil companies leave lagos and relocate to the niger delta where would all non niger deltans work and make money ...from which companies would the useless lagos state accrue tax from ...just to make mouth ona sabi.. angry angry
Re: Niger Delta Activists Protest The Siting Of A $1.5 Billion Dry Dock In Lagos by Nobody: 5:02pm On Sep 01, 2015
osemwengie1:
. Nothing will happen and yet, your poverty stricken states cannot pay salaries without oil money. Thunder will fire you people
dont mind that fellow....we niger deltans have been too welcoming reason for such arrogance from dimwits.. angry angry angry
Re: Niger Delta Activists Protest The Siting Of A $1.5 Billion Dry Dock In Lagos by Nobody: 5:29pm On Sep 01, 2015
Rotimi47:
But companies are being milked dry in the Niger Delta as you have to pay the community certain amount mostly in millions, you have to employ people from that community who are mostly not qualified for any position, the community dictates how much you must pay them, most of the people from the community don't contribute anything to the growth of the company as they don't come to work and when they come, its usually for some few days in a month. The same people take company secret to their people who will come once in a while to seal up the company premises hereby using it to ask for more money; I am by root a Niger deltan but from the Yoruba side and a professional who work in the Niger Delta for years, so I understand what companies are going through and this is why most companies will rather stay out of the Niger Delta if they have the opportunity. If the Niger Delta can change their attitude then there would be improvement but till then; they don't have a choice as some investment would be taken outside this region.
lol... Niger delta from d yoruba side...
Re: Niger Delta Activists Protest The Siting Of A $1.5 Billion Dry Dock In Lagos by Nobody: 5:58pm On Sep 01, 2015
fulanimafia:

Are you suggesting that Lagos State owes non-indigenes some kind of obligation because a private company decided to site its project in Badagry?
am saying Nigeria is for all...
On a very good day who cares abt d location of d project but recent happenings got a lot of people thinking. like d yorubas wud normslly say Lagos is not a home for all its yoruba land... so let it stay that way.
People are now thinking of der villages d yorubas said they should go back to.
Re: Niger Delta Activists Protest The Siting Of A $1.5 Billion Dry Dock In Lagos by Nobody: 12:03pm On Sep 02, 2015
Time is of the essence...thank you but plz be informed that no form of violence will win this battle. All I know is, it will be a monumental victory for the Ndeltans
pazienza:

Wait further and see opportunities to control such resources denied.

Set from you thoughts such futuristic plans and seize the moment when the resources are still present, your resources are depleting at a fast rate, Oloibiri is no longer an oil producing town today, they are no drops of oil in Oloibiri the once oil rich town, today.

Time is of the essence and it's running out.
Re: Niger Delta Activists Protest The Siting Of A $1.5 Billion Dry Dock In Lagos by Nobody: 12:24pm On Sep 02, 2015
JayJohnson:

Which resources? Resources that will soon become useless, currently it is about 40 USD per barrel, by the time Iran oil comes in, then jungle will mature, it will be going for less than 20 USD. In another 5 years when the US becomes a net exporter, it will be going for about 5 USD! At that time, you will still be in control of your resources grin[colcolor] grin
You need wisdom. Man cannot successfully create an alternative or eradicate gifts and resources given to man by God. There might be shakes ups...bt there wnt be a shutdown or uselessness as you opined. A man is driven by his thoughts, I perceive your prejudice. You number among the majority at war against our resource liberation n control.
Re: Niger Delta Activists Protest The Siting Of A $1.5 Billion Dry Dock In Lagos by Nobody: 12:44pm On Sep 03, 2015
Ranks007:
You need wisdom. Man cannot successfully create an alternative or eradicate gifts and resources given to man by God. There might be shakes ups...bt there wnt be a shutdown or uselessness as you opined. A man is driven by his thoughts, I perceive your prejudice. You number among the majority at war against our resource liberation n control.

Bold above, not correct. If you have lived anywhere in the Niger-Delta, you will understand what I am saying. Inhabitants of Niger-Delta are by nature idle and lazy due to the oil in the area, especially in place like Rivers state. The way things are going if you follow oil prices properly, it will bottom out to prices like 5 US$, at that time, precious stones which is abundance in the North will probably be the mainstay of the economy
Re: Niger Delta Activists Protest The Siting Of A $1.5 Billion Dry Dock In Lagos by Nobody: 2:44pm On Sep 03, 2015
Going by what you said, I want to believe to an extent. however, we must not ignore the fact that there are factors affecting their psychology, those who might not handle this imbalance end up rogues, militants or retiring to laziness. I don't want to delve into that for now since it wasn't part of our argument. If you said a barrel will never be $100 I will agree bt 4 $5 a barrel No it'll only create excess supply than demand and that's what opec is not willing to let happen. And you believe the northerner will agree 4 Nigeria feed on its resources? No make me laugh, abeg
JayJohnson:

Bold above, not correct. If you have lived anywhere in the Niger-Delta, you will understand what I am saying. Inhabitants of Niger-Delta are by nature idle and lazy due to the oil in the area, especially in place like Rivers state. The way things are going if you follow oil prices properly, it will bottom out to prices like 5 US$, at that time, precious stones which is abundance in the North will probably be the mainstay of the economy
Re: Niger Delta Activists Protest The Siting Of A $1.5 Billion Dry Dock In Lagos by Nobody: 6:45pm On Sep 03, 2015
Ranks007:
Going by what you said, I want to believe to an extent. however, we must not ignore the fact that there are factors affecting their psychology, those who might not handle this imbalance end up rogues, militants or retiring to laziness. I don't want to delve into that for now since it wasn't part of our argument. If you said a barrel will never be $100 I will agree bt 4 $5 a barrel No it'll only create excess supply than demand and that's what opec is not willing to let happen. And you believe the northerner will agree 4 Nigeria feed on its resources? No make me laugh, abeg

People like you are rare on Nairaland - people that make their opinion known without cursing and abusing others with divergent opinions, I am happy to engage you, I will address your point one after the other.
The reason why Niger-Delta natives are always restive and idle is because of the oil, whether you like it or not that is the truth. I have a friend that was kidnapped somewhere in Niger-Delta for urinating at the wrong place - they claimed his urine was disturbing their dead ancestors and was asked to pay money to bail himself out, stories like this abound.
Another thing you might find difficult to agree with is the fact that per barrel of crude oil will eventually go as low as 5 US$, it is just a matter of time. In few year's time, America will become a net exporter of oil (In case you don't know, US is the largest single importer of crude oil). Again, new huge deposits of oil are being found everywhere. Ten years ago, Ghana was not an oil exporting country, but today, they are; the same thing goes for Niger republic. New deposits of oil are being discovered everywhere around the world. At that time (when oil is US$ 5, the people of Niger-Delta will learn not only to be hard working but also not to rely on oil.
Whether the north likes it or not, if precious stones becomes the mainstay of the economy, they have no choice but to share the proceeds with the rest of the country just as we are doing with oil at the moment
I rest my case
Re: Niger Delta Activists Protest The Siting Of A $1.5 Billion Dry Dock In Lagos by Nobody: 7:11pm On Sep 05, 2015
JayJohnson:

Thank you for the candid compliments. I agree to some extent but time won't permit me to inform you on the secret cold war world powers are engaged, in regards to the oil market, try get information and strike a balance with the real life events you'll be extremely shocked of ur discovery. On the other hand, you have an iota of truth considering the lakadiasical approach to life of some Ndeltan youth. I still believe there are many variables that equates to their indolence though to me, there's no excuse. I will state one briefly, and frankly the major cause, the Nigeria factor as a typical reference: why would some big man up north and west manipulate oil n gas recruitment exercise to favour their kinsmen, only to discover you're left out as an indigene despite following the process duly while a very insignicant quota is given to the host community leaving them to fight who among them should get the job. Why would oil companies ignore oil spillage to the detriment of these pple and their livelihood. Who are the powerful hands backing oil coys from responding to their obligation in situation like this. Why is mobil headquarters in lagos, 4rm d time they started exploration and drilling in Nigeria. Paying tax to a state govt. where the oil isn't drilled? Why is 65percent of its core staff westerners and northerners and barely a handful of gainfully employed indigenes plus the largely organized contract staff job for locals. Why are managerial positions given to non-indigenes while indigenes are regulated within career limit? Why would "they" fly in n out workers from lagos every blessed day to do the work endless number of staffs over here are waiting for ever to do? I can answer you, the selected few anointed to know the technical know how of a given specialty wants it to remain within an orchestrated circle of their ethnic nationals hence the side-lining other nationals esp. D indigenes.

That transfer of knowledge is blocked. Hmm....why would the oil servicing firms operate just like their host coys? Why would oil thiefs based in abuja and diaspora drill oil outside official national records, ship it and sell it to overseas contacts and when an indigene attempts to do it, they use the law on him. Need I mention the subleting of contracts? What about oil well ownership? Assuming the aforementioned manipulated instances weren't there, assuming everything was plainly and fairly done, assuming the motto of the day was without education no entry to the rig? Would there have been any record, of restiveness or indolence of any form. NO!
They've (Ndeltans) now seen education is a modern way of servitude, y waste my time going to school in when ethnic politicking is the order of day? If education was/is a factor to rely on why hasn't this age long opression been solved or what can be said never done that isn't done to seek a permanent solution to this matter via educative/diplomatic channels. They all realized its pure waste of time esp. In a scenario like ours. Hence the retirement to a lifestyle and funny enough its giving them the much needed attention. I believe you can join me to see lines of reasons why this guys are reacting, can you remember what karl max said about the breakdown of law if any government fails to meet the demands of its masses?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Fayose Distributes Tubers Of Yams To Ekiti State Residents / Buhari Appoints James Momoh As NERC Chairman / Obasanjo’s Party Splits As New ADC Emerges

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.