Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,780 members, 7,875,938 topics. Date: Sunday, 30 June 2024 at 03:44 AM

Are Pastors Exempted From Paying Tithe? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Are Pastors Exempted From Paying Tithe? (9534 Views)

Why Is Songs Of Solomon Always Exempted From Church Teachings ? / Your Motive For Paying Tithe / Are Pastors Thieves Without Guns? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are Pastors Exempted From Paying Tithe? by topeokunol: 8:20pm On May 02, 2009
no they are not exempted but it is most likely that most of them dont pay,because it comes back to them.
Re: Are Pastors Exempted From Paying Tithe? by arowolo888: 8:15pm On May 04, 2009
yuou people are revealing alot here oooo
Re: Are Pastors Exempted From Paying Tithe? by pilgrim1(f): 10:35pm On May 04, 2009
anonimi:

Pastors who request tithes from their congregation are also required by their dispensation to also offer tithes as per Malachi 1:

6 A son honoureth his father, and a servant his master: if then I be a father, where is mine honour? and if I be a master, where is my fear? saith the Lord of hosts unto you, O priests, that despise my name. And ye say, Wherein have we despised thy name?
7 Ye offer polluted bread upon mine altar; and ye say, Wherein have we polluted thee? In that ye say, The table of the Lord is contemptible.
8 And if ye offer the blind for sacrifice, is it not evil? and if ye offer the lame and sick, is it not evil? offer it now unto thy governor; will he be pleased with thee, or accept thy person? saith the Lord of hosts.
9 And now, I pray you, beseech God that he will be gracious unto us: this hath been by your means: will he regard your persons? saith the Lord of hosts.
10 Who is there even among you that would shut the doors for nought? neither do ye kindle fire on mine altar for nought. I have no pleasure in you, saith the Lord of hosts, neither will I accept an offering at your hand.

This also should help put  the over-quoted Malachi 3:8 in proper context.

@anonimi,

Malachi 1:1 - "The burden of the word of the LORD to Israel by Malachi"

Malachi 3:9 - "Ye are cursed with a curse: for ye have robbed me, even this whole nation"

Perhaps you are missing the highlighted words in those verses to help you reason carefully that Malachi 3 was addressing the entire nation, not just the priests. Reason through again in chapter 3 -

[list][list]4 Then shall the offering of Judah and Jerusalem be pleasant unto the LORD, as in the days of old, and as in former years.
5 And I will come near to you to judgment; and I will be a swift witness against the sorcerers, and against the adulterers, and against false swearers, and against those that oppress the hireling in his wages, the widow, and the fatherless, and that turn aside the stranger from his right, and fear not me, saith the LORD of hosts.
6 For I am the LORD, I change not; therefore ye sons of Jacob are not consumed.
7 Even from the days of your fathers ye are gone away from mine ordinances, and have not kept them. Return unto me, and I will return unto you, saith the LORD of hosts. But ye said, Wherein shall we return?
8 Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me. But ye say, Wherein have we robbed thee? In tithes and offerings.
9 Ye are cursed with a curse: for ye have robbed me, even this whole nation.
10 Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it.[/list][/list]

Learn to look carefully before drawing unhealthy conclusions. Anyhow, I hope you're doing well? Blessings.
Re: Are Pastors Exempted From Paying Tithe? by eghosaobas: 10:52am On May 05, 2009
ok oooooooo
Re: Are Pastors Exempted From Paying Tithe? by KunleOshob(m): 11:22am On May 05, 2009
To understand the often misquoted Malachi 3:10 very well you have to go back to the bible to study and understand how tithes was administered. Evidently the levites were the ones who gave tithes to the priest and not the Israelites. The israelites gave there own tithes to the levites.[numbers18:25-28] Evidently the social structure for tithing which the Israelites used at that time does not even exist today and the mordern day Jews don't even practise this obsolete rite any more as the people (levites) legally entitled to collect it don'rt exist anymore.

Numbers 18:25-28:

25 The Lord also told Moses, 26 “Give these instructions to the Levites: When you receive from the people of Israel the tithes I have assigned as your allotment, give a tenth of the tithes you receive—a tithe of the tithe—to the Lord as a sacred offering. 27 The Lord will consider this offering to be your harvest offering, as though it were the first grain from your own threshing floor or wine from your own winepress. 28 You must present one-tenth of the tithe received from the Israelites as a sacred offering to the Lord. This is the Lord’s sacred portion, and you must present it to Aaron the priest.

Also there were reasons given by God as to why the levites were entitled to collect tithes of the people of Israel the reason being the levites were not allowed to own any permanent property in israel[numbers 18:23-24] I wonder why all these greedy preachers that preach tithing don't keep this other side of the agreement.

Numbers 18:23-24:
23 Only the Levites may serve at the Tabernacle, and they will be held responsible for any offenses against it. This is a permanent law for you, to be observed from generation to generation. The Levites shall have no permanent property in Israel, 24 because I have given them the Israelites’ tithes, which have been presented as sacred offerings to the Lord. This will be the Levites’ share. That is why I said they would receive no allotment of land among the Israelites.”
Re: Are Pastors Exempted From Paying Tithe? by eghosaobas: 11:28am On May 05, 2009
hmmmmmmmmmm
Re: Are Pastors Exempted From Paying Tithe? by pilgrim1(f): 1:43pm On May 05, 2009
@KunleOshob,

KunleOshob:

To understand the often misquoted Malachi 3:10 very well you have to go back to the bible to study and understand how tithes was administered. Evidently the levites were the ones who gave tithes to the priest and not the Israelites. The israelites gave there own tithes to the levites.[numbers18:25-28]

As can be seen in Malachi's prophecy, God was addressing the entire nation, not just the priests:

[list][li]"The burden of the word of the LORD to Israel by Malachi" - Mal. 1:1[/li]
[li]". . even this whole nation" - Mal. 3:9[/li][/list]

KunleOshob:

Evidently the social structure for tithing which the Israelites used at that time does not even exist today and the mordern day Jews don't even practise this obsolete rite any more as the people (levites) legally entitled to collect it don'rt exist anymore.

Does that therefore mean that Jews today NO LONGER tithe? This false assumption is often pandered about by "Christians" - whereas informed Jews even today actually tithe. The simple point here is to understand that the informed Jew does not see things in a legalistic manner that many "Christians" apply to Scripture. These Jews understand the 'spirit' of the Word, rather than resort always and only to the "letter".

Here are examples that someone has helped to outline to the fact that it is NOT true to assert that Jews today are not tithing:

1. "Christians" who claim that Jews do not tithe today:
[list]"Today, Orthodox Jews do not tithe. No one is qualified
to receive tithes now that the priesthood and temple are gone."[/list]

How true is that claim?? See below:

A. from an Orthodox Jew:

[list][li]"You are correct; tithing is mentioned in the Torah, and WE
ORTHODOX JEWS give at leat 10% of our earnings to charity,
since the recommended amount is 20%."[/li][/list]

B. From the "[url=http://]AllExperts[/url]" website -
[list][li]"When the Temple stood, Jews were required to give a portion of
their income to the Priests. Currently WE are without a Temple AND WE
GIVE THIS AMOUNT TO CHARITY INSTEAD
"[/li][/list]

C. Comments from Rabbi Dr. Asher Meir -
[list][li]"The Biblical tithing obligation applies only to agricultural
produce in the land of Israel. But for hundreds of years it has been
customary to donate a portion of our income to charity
, and the most
accepted amount is one tenth of after-tax income.
The *Shulchan Arukh (authoritative Code of Jewish law) states that
the average person should give one-tenth of his income to charity,
and that anything less is considered stingy
. This custom retains
the spirit of the original agricultural tithe
. The personal element is
maintained
, as this tithe is distributed according to individual
discretion and is in addition to regular taxes, including communal
levies, which are administered by the community as a whole."
(see *Shulchan Arukh
[(authoritative Code of Jewish law) Yoreh Deah 249:1)[li][/list]

D. Wikipedia articles on "orthodox Judaism" and tithe -
[list][li]"Orthodox Judaism still regards tithe obligations as IN EFFECT on produce grown in the Land of Israel, although the obligations
have been somewhat modified since the days of the Hebrew Bible and
Talmud and proceeds from the tithes are no longer given to a Kohen or
Levite or taken to Jerusalem."[/li][/list]

Having read the above (which can be confirmed from many scholarly Jewish sources), is it healthy for us "Christians" to keep recycling ideas borrowed from other "Christians" and their websites claiming that 'Jews today no longer tithe'?? Abeg, make una dey recycle ideas small small - we Christians should know better than making public statements that are false and unfounded.

Cheers.
Re: Are Pastors Exempted From Paying Tithe? by KunleOshob(m): 3:25pm On May 05, 2009
@pigrim.1
Thanx for this wonderful insight, at least you have proven from your posts that even the Jews whom the law was directed to and who should know and understand better than our mordern day pharisees[pastors] do not tithe to their temples rather it is given to charity which is in conformity with what what i have been saying that the way our pastors today preach tithing is not only wrong but it is manipulative and skewed towards selfish gain which is instigated by a love for filthy lucre. As i have always said it is not the act of tithing that i am against, it is the way the word of God ismanipulated to extort it that i loath and i seek to enlighten my fellow brethen about this truth. The onus is on those twisitngthe word of God to trace back there steps and ask for forgiveness.
Re: Are Pastors Exempted From Paying Tithe? by eghosaobas: 5:50pm On May 05, 2009
thank God nobody can re-write the bible,if not we would have had the whole place flooded with GOs and Founders bibles and it would have be punishment for whoever doesnt have a copy,as they do with Rhapsody of Their realities.
Re: Are Pastors Exempted From Paying Tithe? by pilgrim1(f): 8:00pm On May 05, 2009
@KunleOshob,

KunleOshob:

Thanx for this wonderful insight, at least you have proven from your posts that even the Jews whom the law was directed to and who should know and understand better than our mordern day pharisees[pastors] do not tithe to their temples rather it is given to charity which is in conformity with what what i have been saying. . .

Em. . . did you say "in conformity" with what you have been saying? Well, I would not excuse you on this one, sorry. Your assertion was rather that "the mordern day Jews don't even practise this obsolete rite any more", and what I posted hardly bears any conformity with what you might've been saying. There are many "Christians" who have been making the unfortunate claim that, "Today, Orthodox Jews do not tithe"; and as 'Christians' we should know better than recycling unfounded assertions.

Nonetheless, tithes are not always tied to the Temple; so I don't see how anyone should be assuming that unless there is a 'temple', tithes cannot be given. The nation of Israel was asked to bring their tithes to the storehouse; but the concept of 'storehouse' was not even contained in the Law. Yet, the Jews understood quite well the 'spirit' of the commandment to tithe, rather than straining on the 'letter' of the Law - that is why they actually tithe today, contrary to the unhealthy claim being put forward by uninformed "Christian" ministers.

There's no need to be pejorative at anyone; so I don't see the need to keep harping in yours about "mordern day pharisees[pastors]" - such an attitude is not helping your position. If you agree that people should tithe in the same way that you are seeking "conformity" with what I've posted about Jews today who still tithe, then we should by all means encourage what is good and promote sound reasoning, rather than be reactive everytime 'tithes' are mentioned. God bless you if that is the "conformity" you've been preaching; wherefore then has been all the quarrel about this subject?

KunleOshob:

. . . that the way our pastors today preach tithing is not only wrong but it is manipulative and skewed towards selfish gain which is instigated by a love for filthy lucre.

The love for 'filthy lucre', selfish gain and other financial scandals in certain quarters should not be blamed every single time on the word 'tithes'. I understand that you may be operating on this subject only locally in the Nigerian context (pardon me, as I'm only assuming and may be wrong). However, even within Nigeria I know some very godly pastors who preach tithes without living in such scandals. Outside of Nigeria, there are many more godly people who are not rigid about this matter of tithes; and even when they encourage their members towards a healthy stewardship through tithing, they do not seek tithes for satiating any greed.

KunleOshob:

As i have always said it is not the act of tithing that i am against, it is the way the word of God is manipulated to extort it that i loath and i seek to enlighten my fellow brethen about this truth. The onus is on those twisitng the word of God to trace back there steps and ask for forgiveness.

I don't think you have handled this subject with tact and fairness. It seems more to observers that you've been against 'tithes', regardless whatever the manner it is preached by anybody. If one wants to enlighten his or her brethren, it seems the more appropriate thing to do would be to encourage tithing (whether for charity, the need of the poor, missions and missionaries, local needs of the churches, etc) - it would not be helpful to repeatedly condemn 'tithes' every single time as you have often done, only to come back now looking for "conformity" somewhere.

Cheers.

Edit:

Anyway, as regards the topic of this thread, I encourage pastors to lead by example - they should long have been tithing in an honest and open manner before they teach others to do so. As often mentioned, tithing is not "obligatory" for the Christian; and those pastors who preach to others to tithe should not make it an "obligatory" matter if they cannot practise what they teach others. Happily, there are godly pastors whose denominations favour tithing, but these pastors do not enforce it upon their local congregations. If is entirely up to the Christian whether he/she would like to tithe - whether for charity or anything else that God lays upon their hearts.

Regards.
Re: Are Pastors Exempted From Paying Tithe? by KunleOshob(m): 11:01am On May 06, 2009
pilgrim.1:

@KunleOshob,

Em. . . did you say "in conformity" with what you have been saying? Well, I would not excuse you on this one, sorry. Your assertion was rather that "the mordern day Jews don't even practise this obsolete rite any more", and what I posted hardly bears any conformity with what you might've been saying. There are many "Christians" who have been making the unfortunate claim that, "Today, Orthodox Jews do not tithe"; and as 'Christians' we should know better than recycling unfounded assertions.

When i say obsolete rite i mean obsolete rite. it still remains a fact even from all your posts about jewish tithing that Jews don't practise tithing the way it was described in the bible [that is what i mean by rites]deut 14,deut26, levitcus27, malachi3. Clearly it is not practical today. But what i want to draw from it is that at least their rabbis are more honest that our pastors by preaching they should give it to charity instead of to them if the principle of tithes must be practised. Kudos to the rabbis. Nigeria and indeed the whole world would have been a much better place if christians are keeping the mandate christ gave us and that is to help and assist those in need. This what i expect our preachers to be preaching that people should use their tithes to do that is if they must preach tithes at all.
Re: Are Pastors Exempted From Paying Tithe? by pilgrim1(f): 12:26pm On May 06, 2009
@KunleOshob,

KunleOshob:

When i say obsolete rite i mean obsolete rite. it still remains a fact even from all your posts about jewish tithing that Jews don't practise tithing the way it was described in the bible [that is what i mean by rites]deut 14,deut26, levitcus27, malachi3. Clearly it is not practical today.

You're not being consistent. You seem to ever flag and fluctuate on this subject, so that after you have made assertions that cannot stand up to scrutiny, you come back to say what has been posted is in your "conformity".

The bottom line is that the oft-recycled claim being made by many "Christians" about "Jews do not tithe at all today" is false - no matter how that claim is edited and re-edited, it is false and has no substance to bear in reality. That was the essence of my posting all those sources - including the Wikipedia source that succinctly states: "Orthodox Judaism still regards tithe obligations as IN EFFECT on produce grown in the Land of Israel", as well other sources that show that the Jews still practise it. The only difference is in the manner (the 'how') in which they do so today; that does not say they do not practise it any longer.

KunleOshob:

But what i want to draw from it is that at least their rabbis are more honest that our pastors by preaching they should give it to charity instead of to them if the principle of tithes must be practised.

Okay, let me take it that you realise your previous grave oversight in which you assumed two fallacies - that (a) the Jews no longer tithe today; and (b) that "tithes" was fraudulent. I've asked again and again if it was actually "tithes" in themselves that are the problem, or the manner in which it is abused; and between times you haven't been fair in the way you discussed the subject.

People can use all sorts of means to defraud others - such means including "freewill offerings", perhaps you may never have realized this fact. That being the case, WHY is it that anti-tithers never also attack "freewill offerings" and call it the same thing (fraud)? Someone once said that if we have to be so technical to attack the word "tithes", we should also realize that the term "freewill offerings" does not appear a single time in the NT, but all references to the term are in the OT Law! It seems that since "freewill offerings" are anti-tithers favourite word, they actually have never seen that fraudsters use that same thing to defraud people in the Body of Christ. Should I therefore join the anti-tithing group and start attacking 'freewill offerings' because the same 'prosperity preachers' are no longer using "tithes" for their adventures?

Here's an example of such an abuse (ignore the comments on the screen; and please note: this is not a personal derision of anyone who appears on the clip):

[flash=425,355]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aOFSgt5w-c&hl=en&fs=1[/flash]

[flash=425,355]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fknk2MO0MyU&hl=en&fs=1[/flash]

The point is that when you check out the massive financial problem in such settings, these preachers may not even mention 'tithes'; but while anti-tithers are busy quarrelling over 'tithes' and 'tithing', the abuses continue in such circles through other means, including 'freewill offerings', 'anointed money', 'money cometh', etc. Even if the word 'tithe' could one day no longer be used in Christian vocabulary, will that mean that these abuses will automatically become non-existent? Those who are raking $16,000 for a dog from "frewill offerings" will look for other means to keep their trade - just as they have employed ingenious terms that have nothing to do with tithes.

Let's not keep making the mistake of using tithes as the basis of all kinds of misplaced thinking - deal rather with the problem itself rather than mispunching and allowing the real problem to go unnoticed.

KunleOshob:

Kudos to the rabbis. Nigeria and indeed the whole world would have been a much better place if christians are keeping the mandate christ gave us and that is to help and assist those in need. This what i expect our preachers to be preaching that people should use their tithes to do that is if they must preach tithes at all.

Can I ask a simple question (even though I've asked it before): if "tithes/tithing" is a false doctrine, then should people "use their tithes" (ie., use their 'false doctrine') to promote charity? This is why I've been appealing for consistency - one who condemns tithes cannot come back at the same time encouraging the same tithes. Yet, it's great to see you acknowledge that tithes could be used for assiting the needy, among several other uses.
Re: Are Pastors Exempted From Paying Tithe? by topeokunol: 12:40pm On May 06, 2009
PILGRIMS,you talk assive you are one of the tithes collecting poastors.
Re: Are Pastors Exempted From Paying Tithe? by pilgrim1(f): 1:31pm On May 06, 2009
topeokunol:

You're mistaken.
Re: Are Pastors Exempted From Paying Tithe? by PastorAIO: 1:49pm On May 06, 2009
pilgrim.1:

You're mistaken.

Is s/he mistaken about the way you talk or about the fact of whether you are a tithe collecting (im)poaster.
Re: Are Pastors Exempted From Paying Tithe? by pilgrim1(f): 1:53pm On May 06, 2009
Pastor AIO:

Is s/he mistaken about the way you talk or about the fact of whether you are a tithe collecting (im)poaster.

Was the question meant to be two different things? In that case, s/he is mistaken.
Re: Are Pastors Exempted From Paying Tithe? by topeokunol: 2:44pm On May 06, 2009
topeokunol:

sorry what i was trying to say is that,you talk assive you are one of the tithes collecting pastors
Re: Are Pastors Exempted From Paying Tithe? by pilgrim1(f): 3:02pm On May 06, 2009
topeokunol:

sorry what i was trying to say is that,you talk assive you are one of the tithes collecting pastors

@topeokunol,
I got you the first time, nevermind the typos - we all make them, and there are so many in my posts. I understand you, but I'm not what you supposed.
Re: Are Pastors Exempted From Paying Tithe? by KunleOshob(m): 3:07pm On May 06, 2009
pilgrim.1:

Can I ask a simple question (even though I've asked it before): if "tithes/tithing" is a false doctrine, then should people "use their tithes" (ie., use their 'false doctrine') to promote charity? This is why I've been appealing for consistency - one who condemns tithes cannot come back at the same time encouraging the same tithes. Yet, it's great to see you acknowledge that tithes could be used for assiting the needy, among several other uses.

My dear either you don't understand me or you are deliberately trying to be dishonest, we have had several debates on tithes since last year and i believe i have expressed my self clearly enough on this issue of tithes. i have consistently told you that i don't have anything against tithing per se that it is the way it is being preached and imposed on unsuspecting christians to de-fraud them that i loath. the definition of tithes today[ten percetn of income] is not biblical hence it is a false doctrine. Biblical tithes is ten percent of the produce of the land of Israel, which is not what is being preached today. If a pastor wants to preach tithes he should explain to his congregation that they are not obligde to practise it, but most of them preach from malachi 3[distort the meaning of biblical tithes] which is not relevant to christianity becos it is best suited to intimidate and deceive christians into tithing. No matter how you want to argue it pilgrim.1 it is very evident that tithing the way it is preached and practised today in churches as NO sound biblical basis it is just a distortion of biblical practise becos of the greed of a few. The pulpit owes the congregation the truth and nothing else, they are not allowed to add their own to scripture or twist it. I agree with you that there are other methods being used by certain pastors to extort money from their congregation but you would agree with me that tithing is the most instituitionalized and popular method of extortion in the church today hence my speaking against it
Re: Are Pastors Exempted From Paying Tithe? by topeokunol: 3:07pm On May 06, 2009
i will say you said so.
Re: Are Pastors Exempted From Paying Tithe? by pilgrim1(f): 3:27pm On May 06, 2009
KunleOshob:

My dear either you don't understand me or you are deliberately trying to be dishonest, we have had several debates on tithes since last year and i believe i have expressed my self clearly enough on this issue of tithes. i have consistently told you that i don't have anything against tithing per se that it is the way it is being preached and imposed on unsuspecting christians to de-fraud them that i loath.

You have made this allegation so many times it has become redundant and out of date. The reason why I asked you to be clear was because you were being inconsistent, making assertions that were unfounded only to recently come back and hoot for some "conformity" somewhere. If you don't have anything against tithes, why has it been difficult for you all this while to encourage it?

KunleOshob:

the definition of tithes today[ten percetn of income] is not biblical hence it is a false doctrine.

That was why you praise the Jews today who still tithe after asserting they do not, yes? Let's for your sake even say that the Jews are tithing and therefore practising a "false doctrine", one wonders how you would still come to praise the same thing in them.

KunleOshob:

Biblical tithes is ten percent of the produce of the land of Israel, which is not what is being preached today. If a pastor wants to preach tithes he should explain to his congregation that they are not obligde to practise it, but most of them preach from malachi 3[distort the meaning of biblical tithes] which is not relevant to christianity becos it is best suited to intimidate and deceive christians into tithing.

You're basing the totality of your arguments on the narrow locality of your experience. I've hinted so many times that there are many Churches and pastors who teach tithe without making it a matter of coercion.

KunleOshob:

No matter how you want to argue it pilgrim.1 it is very evident that tithing the way it is preached and practised today in churches as NO sound biblical basis it is just a distortion of biblical practise becos of the greed of a few.

Same as above - just because the only thing you see around you is "greed" does not mean that is what all tithers have been practising.

KunleOshob:

The pulpit owes the congregation the truth and nothing else, they are not allowed to add their own to scripture or twist it. I agree with you that there are other methods being used by certain pastors to extort money from their congregation but you would agree with me that tithing is the most instituitionalized and popular method of extortion in the church today hence my speaking against it

I disagree with you that the most institutionalised method for filthy lucre is tithes - that was why I posted you samples of clips earlier to see the most popular examples in many places. We owe people truth, yes: but that does not include the example of the false claim you borrowed from whereever about Jews not tithing today. As Christians, we should not be making false claims just because we're not inclined to something.
Re: Are Pastors Exempted From Paying Tithe? by KunleOshob(m): 4:05pm On May 06, 2009
pilgrim.1:

I disagree with you that the most institutionalised method for filthy lucre is tithes - that was why I posted you samples of clips earlier to see the most popular examples in many places. We owe people truth, yes: but that does not include the example of the false claim you borrowed from whereever about Jews not tithing today. As Christians, we should not be making false claims just because we're not inclined to something.

I can assure you that those "pastors" in the videos you posted are tithe preachers and they are already reaping off their congrgation this way. The methods shown in that video are just extort more from the congregation. The problem is that the pentecostal movement as so much instituitionalize tithes that people no longer question it they believe it to be the truth they now only ask if tithes should be after tax or before tax. these pastors already take tithes collection as granted they are just trying to milk their gullible congregation further. But thank God today we are in the information era and the truth about tithes is slowly being revealed to all. personally i can testify that God as been using me to reveal the biblical truth about tithes to christians and a lot of christians have had the scales taken off their eyes through my effort and are no longer wasting their money on dubious preachers who claim they are serving God.
Re: Are Pastors Exempted From Paying Tithe? by pilgrim1(f): 4:21pm On May 06, 2009
KunleOshob:

I can assure you that those "pastors" in the videos you posted are tithe preachers and they are already reaping off their congrgation this way. The methods shown in that video are just extort more from the congregation. The problem is that the pentecostal movement as so much instituitionalize tithes that people no longer question it they believe it to be the truth they now only ask if tithes should be after tax or before tax. these pastors already take tithes collection as granted they are just trying to milk their gullible congregation further. But thank God today we are in the information era and the truth about tithes is slowly being revealed to all. personally i can testify that God as been using me to reveal the biblical truth about tithes to christians and a lot of christians have had the scales taken off their eyes through my effort and are no longer wasting their money on dubious preachers who claim they are serving God.

Kunle,

You simply have no clue and I wonder if you're arguing out issues from an informed position or you just like to say anything you like. The clips were not referring to tithes - view them again and again. I know Leroy Thompson speaks about tithes, as do many of his contacts (Kenneth Copeland, Creflo Dollar, etc). However, in those clips it was not tithes they are all about (unless you are largely unware of the "money-cometh-to-me-now" movement). In such abuses, these folks speak more about "miracle seed", "faith seed", 'money-money', 'anointed money', 'faith offering' and other things like 'sow-a-seed'. If you never heard these guys talk about tithes, would those abuses automatically become non-existent?

And, oh, I forgot to mention indeed that Kenneth Copeland and Leroy Thompson also use "freewill offerings" to the same effect. cheesy
Re: Are Pastors Exempted From Paying Tithe? by realpastor: 4:25pm On May 06, 2009
Pilgrim,what exactly are you driving at?
Re: Are Pastors Exempted From Paying Tithe? by pilgrim1(f): 4:31pm On May 06, 2009
realpastor:

Pilgrim,what exactly are you driving at?

Please read my posts and let me know what issues you may have. Thank you.
Re: Are Pastors Exempted From Paying Tithe? by KunleOshob(m): 4:34pm On May 06, 2009
@Pilgrim.1
When i said i am sure those preachers preach tithe, it was on the assumption that all properity pastors [which they are] preaxh tithes. i never infered that they preached tithes in that video, an that is why i mentioned that tithes is already taken  as granted becos they have instituitionalized it.
Re: Are Pastors Exempted From Paying Tithe? by pilgrim1(f): 4:40pm On May 06, 2009
KunleOshob:

@Pilgrim.1
When i said i am sure those preachers preach tithe, it was on the assumption that all properity pastors [which they are] preaxh tithes. i never infered that they preached tithes in that video, an that is why i mentioned that tithes is already taken as granted becos they have instituitionalized it.

Kunle, I understand you and can bear with your concerns. The thing is that you haven't handled this subject fairly. I've taken the time to check out these issues; but it's not my style to make everyone guilty just because some people are abusing tithes. If that is how we read issues, perhaps also we should all reject 'freewill offerings' for the same reason that we often take it for granted since these same preachers in the clips use the same terms for the same effect. Let's learn to discuss in a healthy manner and not be reactive. I know very many pastors who preach tithes and freewill offerings, and they have lived examplary lives in the Christian faith - surely this should not make them to come under the same accusations of the 'prosperity preachers' such as in the clips.
Re: Are Pastors Exempted From Paying Tithe? by gracearo73: 4:49pm On May 06, 2009
pastors are to also pay tithe,but to who?since the money comes back to them.
Re: Are Pastors Exempted From Paying Tithe? by segyemaro(m): 12:05pm On May 08, 2009
Thats the question.
Re: Are Pastors Exempted From Paying Tithe? by PastorAIO: 12:42pm On May 08, 2009
Please anyone that is unsure as to where to pay their tithes, both pastors and laymen, should send a cheque addressed to me to my address. I shall post the relevant details soon.

Cheers.
Re: Are Pastors Exempted From Paying Tithe? by KunleOshob(m): 12:52pm On May 08, 2009
Pastor AIO:

Please anyone that is unsure as to where to pay their tithes, both pastors and laymen, should send a cheque addressed to me to my address. I shall post the relevant details soon.

Cheers.

Please lets have the details before sunday so i can send my tithes. Pilgrim.1 tongue as convinced me to start paying tithes grin
Re: Are Pastors Exempted From Paying Tithe? by OREAWADOO: 1:26pm On May 08, 2009
OLE
IS YOUR ADDRESS GOD

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Adventist Church Appeals To FG To Stop Conducting Elections On Saturday / Praying Unclad..........................what Is The Spiritual Significance? / Why Do You Embrace Abrahamic Faith Over African Spirituality?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 120
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.