Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,883 members, 7,872,907 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 03:58 AM

Artist And Platinum Sales In Nigeria: How Are These Figures Collected - Music/Radio (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Artist And Platinum Sales In Nigeria: How Are These Figures Collected (8805 Views)

Ruggedman Ft. Reminisce - 8 FIGURES [official Video] / Solo Rappers With 5 Or More Platinum Albums / Please Do You Know This Artist And The Title Of This Song? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Artist And Platinum Sales In Nigeria: How Are These Figures Collected by ElRazur: 1:18pm On Apr 22, 2009
Obinna. I believe the figure have been amended for the UK. If memory serves me right, there was a discussion I heard not to long ago about it.
Re: Artist And Platinum Sales In Nigeria: How Are These Figures Collected by pek(m): 1:33pm On Apr 22, 2009
there are virtually no stat to monitor anything of such in nigeria.
Re: Artist And Platinum Sales In Nigeria: How Are These Figures Collected by cabali(m): 1:35pm On Apr 22, 2009
You see what I said abt silly arguments.

Do you guys read the Billboard magazine? Do U even listen to the billboard charts? There is no part where it is mentioned that the records are sold to customers. They always say 'certified shipped'

Can anyone tell me what part of the billboard mag states otherwise.
Re: Artist And Platinum Sales In Nigeria: How Are These Figures Collected by ElRazur: 1:54pm On Apr 22, 2009
cabali:

You see what I said abt silly arguments.

Do you guys read the Billboard magazine? Do U even listen to the billboard charts? There is no part where it is mentioned that the records are sold to customers. They always say 'certified shipped'

Can anyone tell me what part of the billboard mag states otherwise.

No it aint about silly arguments. It is logical that people ask questions when things do not add up.

No I do not read billboard magazine, I have stated time and time again that I speak from a UK perspective. Oh I listen to billboard charts once in a while though.

But at the sake of prolonging the matter, you can see the flaw in the way the figures are collected? smiley
Re: Artist And Platinum Sales In Nigeria: How Are These Figures Collected by MojiEsther(f): 2:03pm On Apr 22, 2009
You know, calling people names simply because they disagree with you shows that you are more or less grasping for point and it makes you look lame.
It also shows you level of intelligence.

It is a common human weakness you are showing, you have called me names when it was uncalled for, then result to the classic b.u.l.ls.h.i.t of how I forced you. Or you mean you cannot hold a debate in a civil manner. You know intelligence is measured in several ways. One of them is being civil and you severely lack this.

I have picked to ignore your rants and more or less focus on the debate, but somehow, some way, you have to speak of this superior intelligence of yours that you haven't even remotely demonstrate.

Dude get a grip, this is a forum and while not everyone will agree with you, it is important to present your case logically with simple common sense.
Also name calling is just soooo 1980 and a reflection of how weak you really are. I think this is it for me.   

Personally, I feel he is just one of those people who cannot really string up a few sentence without showing a sort of complex.
In his case, "I am right you are wrong and there is nothing you can say about it complex" Gosh that is a very bad complex to display on a forum.

You should check out his post in the thread "The game or 50cent who is better".

You really are a fool. How did you arrive at such conclusion with my musical collection?
You really are obtuse dude. Again you made an irrelevant point. What all of these because you got pawned in another thread? How stupidly pathetic.
Dude how old are you mentally? Based on you manner and style of posting you clearly have a lot of growing up to do.

What facts do you have to back this up? Or once again you pull these things out of your back side?

What an ignorant person! No artist will put out a show at a lost. Period. This is business and as such, no one is in it to make a loss.

Naija artists make more money from shows than they make on cd. Denying this is denying a well known truth.

grin  shocked Who got Sauron?
Re: Artist And Platinum Sales In Nigeria: How Are These Figures Collected by obinna5000(m): 2:32pm On Apr 22, 2009
@cabali
I visit Billboard magazine website on a weekly basis http://www.billboard.com and any single or album with platinum certification reads as "RIAA certification for net shipment for 1 million units".
Re: Artist And Platinum Sales In Nigeria: How Are These Figures Collected by cabali(m): 3:17pm On Apr 22, 2009
Thank you!!!!

'Net Shipments'

That does it!

@ razur. I dont think they can get a really, really precise figure. Thats just the way things is down here ya figure? But It will get better wink
Re: Artist And Platinum Sales In Nigeria: How Are These Figures Collected by ElRazur: 3:21pm On Apr 22, 2009
cabali:

@ razur. I dont think they can get a really, really precise figure. Thats just the way things is down here ya figure? But It will get better  wink

smiley No problem man. I am glad we are able to debate like adults and engage logical reasoning. Kudos to you for not losing it and insulting like some. smiley
Re: Artist And Platinum Sales In Nigeria: How Are These Figures Collected by MojiEsther(f): 4:03pm On Apr 22, 2009
grin Tee hee hee, Oh El razur, you are my NL 'music/Radio' segemnt hero.
Re: Artist And Platinum Sales In Nigeria: How Are These Figures Collected by MojiEsther(f): 4:05pm On Apr 22, 2009
Oops! Segment
Re: Artist And Platinum Sales In Nigeria: How Are These Figures Collected by cabali(m): 4:14pm On Apr 22, 2009
ElRazur:

smiley No problem man. I am glad we are able to debate like adults and engage logical reasoning. Kudos to you for not losing it and insulting like some. smiley

Yeah but u cant be too sure i didn't loose it grin wink
Re: Artist And Platinum Sales In Nigeria: How Are These Figures Collected by ElRazur: 4:37pm On Apr 22, 2009
MojiEsther:

grin Tee hee hee, Oh El razur, you are my NL 'music/Radio' segemnt hero.

You are a female? Oh, may be I can really be your hero! grin wink

No need to insult in a debate as far as am concerned. It would be nice if people can do exactly that.

I know we get upset at times, but the ability to control our anger is what shows how mature we really are.

cabali:

Yeah but u cant be too sure i didn't loose it grin wink

Lol. Good thing you didn't let it show on the forum then. Seriously, well done. It is the internet and we all have nothing to prove really as far as am concerned.
Re: Artist And Platinum Sales In Nigeria: How Are These Figures Collected by Sauron1: 4:41pm On Apr 22, 2009
MojiEsther:

grin  shocked Who got Sauron?

Have u been smoking your toe-nails again??
Keep ma name outta your lips. I have given u a fair warning, BEWARE!!!
Re: Artist And Platinum Sales In Nigeria: How Are These Figures Collected by eldee(m): 4:50pm On Apr 22, 2009
Hehehe . . . P-square 'sold a million in six days'
Lilwayne sold platinum in one month grin grin
Re: Artist And Platinum Sales In Nigeria: How Are These Figures Collected by MojiEsther(f): 4:52pm On Apr 22, 2009
grin Tee hee hee, Go face the men and stop being a bully.  Ha ha ha. Elrazur got ya!
Re: Artist And Platinum Sales In Nigeria: How Are These Figures Collected by Sauron1: 4:55pm On Apr 22, 2009
MojiEsther:

grin Tee hee hee, Go face the men and stop being a bully.  Ha ha ha. Elrazur got ya!

He got himself, not me!!!
ElRazur has got a one-track mind and he fails to realise Naija artistes spend more on overheads than their income.
Artistes like Azadus and co have been put out of business because of overheads.

eldee:

P-Square sold a million in 6 days?? It's possible.
Other African States are now interested in Naija hip-hop.
Re: Artist And Platinum Sales In Nigeria: How Are These Figures Collected by MojiEsther(f): 5:03pm On Apr 22, 2009
ElRazur:

You are a female? Oh, may be I can really be your hero! grin wink

No need to insult in a debate as far as am concerned. It would be nice if people can do exactly that.

I know we get upset at times, but the ability to control our anger is what shows how mature we really are.

Lol. Good thing you didn't let it show on the forum then. Seriously, well done. It is the internet and we all have nothing to prove really as far as am concerned.

I agree with you El. We are supposed to be adults. Nairaland is opened to all and we are all entititled to our opinions. Its either you agree or don't agree. Nobody should be made to feel less or called names. Its so childish.

~Sauron~:

Have u been smoking your toe-nails again??
Keep ma name outta your lips. I have given u a fair warning, BEWARE!!!

Beware of what? You got whooped, go sit down jo. I just got a rhyme for your name, wanna hear it?

eldee:

Those guyz,
Re: Artist And Platinum Sales In Nigeria: How Are These Figures Collected by MojiEsther(f): 5:08pm On Apr 22, 2009
Oops, "i meant Nairaland is open to all"
Re: Artist And Platinum Sales In Nigeria: How Are These Figures Collected by ElRazur: 5:09pm On Apr 22, 2009
~Sauron~:

He got himself, not me!!!
ElRazur has got a one-track mind and he fails to realise Naija artistes spend more on overheads than their income.
Artistes like Azadus and co have been put out of business because of overheads.

I don't understand as to why someone will put out a show at a loss. So if Azadus is out of business as a result of bad practice, are you suggesting our artist are in it to make a loss? If everyone spends more than they take in, surely we will be debt ridden?

You know, that is the same approach Gordon's taken on the economy, "Spend our way out of recession". It just do not make a business sense to spend more than what your monthly/annual earnings are.

My friend in Ireland paid one artist upfront for a show. [This artist never turned up for the show - do a google and you will find out who he is] He apparently took like equivalent of millions of naira. I am sure this particular artist havent spent up to that kind of amount on his own video or putting up shows.
Re: Artist And Platinum Sales In Nigeria: How Are These Figures Collected by eldee(m): 5:17pm On Apr 22, 2009
~Sauron~:

Come on . . . these same 'African States' don't listen to Lil Wayne??
Were talking bout Get Rich Or Die Trying figures here, they must be having a laugh
Re: Artist And Platinum Sales In Nigeria: How Are These Figures Collected by Sauron1: 5:20pm On Apr 22, 2009
eldee:

Come on . . . these same 'African States' don't listen to Lil Wayne??
Were talking bout Get Rich Or Die Trying figures here, they must be having a laugh

They don't!!!
Gambians can't be bovvered with Lil Wayne but they will gyrate their waists to P-Square and Yahooze tunes.

ElRazur:

My friend in Ireland paid one artist upfront for a show. [This artist never turned up for the show - do a google and you will find out who he is] He apparently took like equivalent of millions of naira. I am sure this particular artist havent spent up to that kind of amount on his own video or putting up shows.

If he was raking money in like you have claimed, he has no reason to take money without performing.
U have vindicated my stance with your example. These artistes have loads of expenses to worry about.
Trust me!!!

MojiEsther:

Beware of what? You got whooped, go sit down jo. I just got a rhyme for your name, wanna hear it?

MojiEsther is now a rapper?? Drop your rhymes. . . . . .Letz see if you are better than your hero(Mode9).
Re: Artist And Platinum Sales In Nigeria: How Are These Figures Collected by ElRazur: 5:27pm On Apr 22, 2009
~Sauron~:

If he was raking money in like you have claimed, he has no reason to take money without performing.
U have vindicated my stance with your example. These artistes have loads of expenses to worry about.
Trust me!!!

A simple case of this logic --> It is easy to get paid for doing nothing, than to get paid for doing something.

I really cant remember the thorough details, however the payment was for half now and half on completion.

Remember Rik waller? He famously sold two tickets and had to cancel the show. There is no way an artist will perform at a loss. Especially, those big names.

Do you think snoop dogg, 50cent et al will perform at a loss? I am sure if it aint a profit of at least half a million dollars those folk aint getting out of bed.
Re: Artist And Platinum Sales In Nigeria: How Are These Figures Collected by Sauron1: 5:37pm On Apr 22, 2009
ElRazur:

Remember Rik waller? He famously sold two tickets and had to cancel the show. There is no way an artist will perform at a loss. Especially, those big names.

We are talking about the relatively unknown Naija artistes here.
Peops like 50 cent, Eminem have other stuffs going for them.
Good production unit, good marketing outfit and several endorsements and TV appearances.
Any 50 cent interview on MTV/BET is more cash in his coffers.
Cats like M.I., Eedris must pay MITV/AIT to be on TV. They pay Radio stations to get airplay.

Do you think snoop dogg, 50cent et al will perform at a loss? I am sure if it aint a profit of at least half a million dollars those folk aint getting out of bed.

These are big time artistes.
If you dig deep into their career in the embryonic stage don't be surprised they musta performed at a loss way back.
Re: Artist And Platinum Sales In Nigeria: How Are These Figures Collected by ElRazur: 5:45pm On Apr 22, 2009
~Sauron~:

We are talking about the relatively unknown Naija artistes here.
Peops like 50 cent, Eminem have other stuffs going for them.
Good production unit, good marketing outfit and several endorsements and TV appearances.
Any 50 cent interview on MTV/BET is more cash in his coffers.
Cats like M.I., Eedris must pay MITV/AIT to be on TV. They pay Radio stations to get airplay.

These are big time artistes.
If you dig deep into their career in the embryonic stage don't be surprised they musta performed at a loss way back.

This is where we may have been misunderstanding each other. My stance all along have been the big names in naija scene. The cats and dogs holding it down right now. smiley P.Square are reported to have taken millions of money for some shows [50k dollars or so dont quote me on that], Sasha flies helicopter to go shopping, Tuface claims to make 10mila in a week. The point is these artist have massive disposable income and it wont have come from making a loss. Hence the point I was making all along.

As for the issues of paying in naija. While I disagree with it, I cannot change the system and I am not sure if those big names will pay on a regular basis when compared to the upcoming ones.
Re: Artist And Platinum Sales In Nigeria: How Are These Figures Collected by Sauron1: 5:49pm On Apr 22, 2009
ElRazur:

As for the issues of paying in naija. While I disagree with it, I cannot change the system and I am not sure if those big names will pay on a regular basis when compared to the upcoming ones.

But artistes are artistes, no??
Re: Artist And Platinum Sales In Nigeria: How Are These Figures Collected by ElRazur: 5:55pm On Apr 22, 2009
~Sauron~:

But artistes are artistes, no??

It is necessary to make the clarification from the beginning, one of the thing you and I are guilty off and never did. Perhaps all those aggro could have been avoided. smiley
Re: Artist And Platinum Sales In Nigeria: How Are These Figures Collected by Sauron1: 6:06pm On Apr 22, 2009
ElRazur:

It is necessary to make the clarification from the beginning, one of the thing you and I are guilty off and never did. Perhaps all those aggro could have been avoided. smiley

D'accord!!!
Re: Artist And Platinum Sales In Nigeria: How Are These Figures Collected by obinna5000(m): 7:35pm On Apr 22, 2009
@eldee
eldee:

Plz provide a web link or a newspaper article to prove your statement. Or did you get that from those 'Nigerian marketers'?

@ all
Some of these artistes pay marketers to put their singles on those pirated Nigerian music compilations. And later they will be telling you about rampant piracy in Nigeria.
Nigerian artistes make most of their money from shows and concerts.
Re: Artist And Platinum Sales In Nigeria: How Are These Figures Collected by hackney(m): 10:07pm On Apr 22, 2009
ElRazur and sauron can meet at my back garden in brixton for a proper throw-down grin grin grin
I mean the mother of all punch-ups
grin grin grin
ROTFLMAO!!!    i cant breathe ooooo!!!

Thread don turn to WW3 far back!!!
E just be like tottenham fans wey too fight after match dey destroy shops when players wey lose match don collect their £80-90k/week dey sauna anyhow
cool cool cool cool
Re: Artist And Platinum Sales In Nigeria: How Are These Figures Collected by GeorgeD1(m): 10:08pm On Apr 22, 2009
we suffer from poor record keeping in this country. so, no reliable database on which
to base such claims.
Re: Artist And Platinum Sales In Nigeria: How Are These Figures Collected by Bonjeh: 11:51pm On Apr 22, 2009

em, dude P-square are not Hiphop they are Afro-pop. People should categorize music properly
Re: Artist And Platinum Sales In Nigeria: How Are These Figures Collected by Utali(m): 8:38am On Apr 23, 2009
Bonjeh:

em, dude P-square are not Hiphop they are Afro-pop. People should categorize music properly

lol even the media who should know better don't know oooo
I even read on MTV's website that 2face is Nigerian Hiphop star shocked

If you go on lecturing em it will take a year

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

(DOWNLOAD MP3) S.dot X Small Baddo – As A Marlian / I Remember Getting Dissed on Nairaland - Fecko / Runtown – For Life (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.