Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,883 members, 7,872,907 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 04:01 AM

Artist And Platinum Sales In Nigeria: How Are These Figures Collected - Music/Radio (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Artist And Platinum Sales In Nigeria: How Are These Figures Collected (8806 Views)

Ruggedman Ft. Reminisce - 8 FIGURES [official Video] / Solo Rappers With 5 Or More Platinum Albums / Please Do You Know This Artist And The Title Of This Song? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Artist And Platinum Sales In Nigeria: How Are These Figures Collected by Utali(m): 8:39am On Apr 23, 2009
Bonjeh:

em,  dude P-square are not Hiphop they are Afro-pop. People should categorize music properly

lol even the media who should know better don't know oooo
I even read on MTV's website that 2face is Nigerian Hiphop star  shocked

If you go on lecturing em it will take a year
Re: Artist And Platinum Sales In Nigeria: How Are These Figures Collected by eldee(m): 9:51am On Apr 23, 2009
Utali:

lol even the media who should know better don't know oooo
I even read on MTV's website that 2face is Nigerian Hiphop star shocked

If you go on lecturing em it will take a year
Mordern hiphop is not only rap . . . step outside the box
Kanye's Heartless is categorised alternative hiphop, check Billboard, I-tunes or any other credible source
The beat that jumps at you is what makes the song hiphop . . . Bizzy Body is a hiphop song, Enter The Place is hiphop too
Just because it's influenced by dancehall doesn't pull it out of hiphop . . . by your own definition all Lil Wayne's Grammys should be returned.
Re: Artist And Platinum Sales In Nigeria: How Are These Figures Collected by eldee(m): 10:00am On Apr 23, 2009
~Sauron~:

They don't!!!
Gambians can't be bovvered with Lil Wayne but they will gyrate their waists to P-Square and Yahooze tunes.
Whatchu talking bout?? 50 and Weezy sell in Europe and Asia
Tell me you're not comparing that to those twins that are outof beats
Re: Artist And Platinum Sales In Nigeria: How Are These Figures Collected by cabali(m): 11:54am On Apr 23, 2009
Bonjeh:

em, dude P-square are not Hiphop they are Afro-pop. People should categorize music properly

And where is it stated that 'afro-pop' is a certified music category??
Tell us!!!
Re: Artist And Platinum Sales In Nigeria: How Are These Figures Collected by GeorgeD1(m): 12:29pm On Apr 23, 2009
afro-pop? why do people just go about spewing all sort of crap
just to be relevant?
Re: Artist And Platinum Sales In Nigeria: How Are These Figures Collected by Bonjeh: 2:38pm On Apr 23, 2009
afro-pop? why do people just go about spewing all sort of crap
just to be relevant?

Pop music stands for "Popular" music. It is a broad categorization of music that covers a broad category of genres. So afro-pop is popular african music. I'm not dissing P-square or anything, all I'm saying is we should put them in the right category so that they are not put in the stable with real hiphop artists.

Mordern hiphop is not only rap . . . step outside the box
Kanye's Heartless is categorised alternative hiphop, check Billboard, I-tunes or any other credible source
The beat that jumps at you is what makes the song hiphop . . . Bizzy Body is a hiphop song, Enter The Place is hiphop too
Just because it's influenced by dancehall doesn't pull it out of hiphop . . . by your own definition all Lil Wayne's Grammys should be returned.

Of course every genre of music is changing and I'm not resisting change but even though something changes, the fundamentals that make it what it is should not change. I mean our way of life is always changing with developments of technology but we are still human beings.

Hiphop in its true sense is fusion. DJs at the beginning of the art form used to take different records (Jazz, funk, electronica etc) and mash them together to make beats which from the beginning of time was accompanied by the lyrical workings of an MC. As per Kanye, he said himself that he was doing this his current album as a "pop" album with the motive of emulating the legend michael jackson.

What I'm saying is No MC = No Hiphop
Re: Artist And Platinum Sales In Nigeria: How Are These Figures Collected by SENservice(m): 4:44pm On Apr 23, 2009
Wow ,  quite a long discussion you have here,  back to main concept, youve said it all, we are moving to the age of digital music,  i hope we all realize that.

Artist aint complaining, they are making money,  fine,  and please dont negate Itunes for adding nigerian artist,  my bros and sis,  that will lead to alot of money for them.

I hope all of are aware that Cd sales is ready to fall though ,  considering the effects of cds and the Digital world of music, 

Ipod is cool at least the product they market are cool ,  but their are other hard drives,  out in the global mkt ,  that has other added benefit,  that we'll like.
Re: Artist And Platinum Sales In Nigeria: How Are These Figures Collected by GeorgeD1(m): 8:29am On Apr 24, 2009
Bonjeh:

Pop music stands for "Popular" music. It is a broad categorization of music that covers a broad category of genres. So afro-pop is popular african music. I'm not dissing P-square or anything, all I'm saying is we should put them in the right category so that they are not put in the stable with real hiphop artists.

Of course every genre of music is changing and I'm not resisting change but even though something changes, the fundamentals that make it what it is should not change. I mean our way of life is always changing with developments of technology but we are still human beings.

Hiphop in its true sense is fusion. DJs at the beginning of the art form used to take different records (Jazz, funk, electronica etc) and mash them together to make beats which from the beginning of time was accompanied by the lyrical workings of an MC. As per Kanye, he said himself that he was doing this his current album as a "pop" album with the motive of emulating the legend michael jackson.

What I'm saying is No MC = No Hiphop

Ok. So, re-invention is the way to go right?
Re: Artist And Platinum Sales In Nigeria: How Are These Figures Collected by Utali(m): 10:56am On Apr 24, 2009
Kanye West came out with a Pop album and just because he (was) is a rapper it should be termed Hiphop?
There are elements of hiphop music and those artistes Psquare and Tuface's works shouldn't be labeled Hiphop, i don't know about modern Hiphop,
I am sure that if 50 cent drops an rnb album and calls it Nano Age Hiphop you'll start labeling rnb songs Nano hiphop

Dumb!
Re: Artist And Platinum Sales In Nigeria: How Are These Figures Collected by rapjunkie(m): 11:20am On Apr 24, 2009
Utali:

Kanye West came out with a Pop album and just because he (was) is a rapper it should be termed Hiphop?
There are elements of hiphop music and those artistes Psquare and Tuface's works shouldn't be labeled Hiphop, i don't know about modern Hiphop,
I am sure that if 50 cent drops an rnb album and calls it Nano Age Hiphop you'll start labeling rnb songs Nano hiphop

Dumb!

I've had a million discussions on this very topic over many blogs in the past.

@ Utali

I agree with u 100%
Re: Artist And Platinum Sales In Nigeria: How Are These Figures Collected by GeorgeD1(m): 10:50am On Apr 28, 2009
Pls let's be a little bit polite in our posts, ok?
Re: Artist And Platinum Sales In Nigeria: How Are These Figures Collected by djcrucifix(m): 12:57pm On Apr 30, 2009
i don't think naija artistes really know how many copies of their album they sell, they just say random figures based on how long the song reigns. besides, most of them earn their money through shows.
Re: Artist And Platinum Sales In Nigeria: How Are These Figures Collected by jayskillx(m): 2:10pm On Apr 30, 2009
Whatever which way they make their claims,I know the accurate results is best knowned to them. shocked,

Naija music is moving forward and not stoping, grin

Grab the latest info
Jay Skillx is hotter now so come flex with me,
Re: Artist And Platinum Sales In Nigeria: How Are These Figures Collected by GeorgeD1(m): 11:04am On May 04, 2009
no reliable database. period

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

(DOWNLOAD MP3) S.dot X Small Baddo – As A Marlian / I Remember Getting Dissed on Nairaland - Fecko / Runtown – For Life (Video)

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.