Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,199,040 members, 7,970,211 topics. Date: Tuesday, 08 October 2024 at 11:45 PM

How To Decongest Lagos-pat Utomi - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How To Decongest Lagos-pat Utomi (5165 Views)

Ayiri Emami Hosts Pat Utomi At His Mansion (Photos) / "Port-Harcourt Is Part Of Igboland And Igbos Developed Lagos" - Pat Utomi / What Nnamdi Kanu Told Us In Prison — Pat Utomi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Decongest Lagos-pat Utomi by agabusta: 9:23am On Oct 02, 2015
chigoizie7:

Sea ports is a very big capital intensive project that can only be embarked on by FG considering the current economic situation. And akwa-ibom Can not just do that.

Lagos state govt did not build the port in Lagos, FG did, and with money generated from naija exports.

The FG also built a Port in Onne, Calabar and Warri. What is stopping the governors from those regions from putting pressure on the FGN to make those ports viable?? The last president that was in the saddle for the past 6 years was from the SS. The SS has the highest number of ports sited in their area. How come all the SS governors and GEJ did not make those ports viable. Does that not interest you?

Now coming to your statement that FG built those earlier ports. Sincerely, I dont think the FG has the financial muscle to build any port for now. Those waiting and expecting the FG to come and build a port for them are just on a long thing.

Lagos state Govt is already embarking on the construction of a deep sea port in Lekki. Smart Lagos state tagged it a joint venture btw Lagos, FGN, and some private investors.

http://sunnewsonline.com/new/work-commences-on-n325bn-lekki-deep-seaport/

http://www.lekkiport.com/

Apart from the Lekki deep sea port, there is also plans by the Lagos State Govt to build another port in Badagry! Imagine such foresight. If Lagos succeeds in building these two ports, that means Lagos alone will have four big ports!

This are evidences about the plans for the Badagry sea port for you. It is even tagged the deepest sea port.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/07/1-5bn-badagry-port-construction-begins-sept-lasg/

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/lagos-unveils-africa-s-biggest-deep-sea-port-in-badagry/214842/

Despite the plan to construct all these ports, Lagos is similarly building an international high way to connect Lagos and the neighboring country. This road is complete with a rail corridor. This is a Federal road, but Lagos has recognized the importance of this road to its socio-economics and has decided to embark on the bold project. You people better start electing people with foresight and vision to be governors over there, and stop crying and waiting for the FGN.

Abeg tell me, what is stopping other SS states from embarking on such a similar ventures?? Akwa Ibom is quite financially capable of such, but it is only rhetorics we have been hearing all this while about the Ibaka seaport. What is stopping Akwa Ibom from actualising this project during Akpabio's regime that they had so much rapport with the FGN?

I strongly believe if it was that port Akpabio constructed instead of that stadium, it would have had more economic advantage. A stadium can then be built thereafter.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: How To Decongest Lagos-pat Utomi by laudate: 11:58am On Oct 02, 2015
agabusta:
All you said is on point except the bold. Why should you force anyone to relocate its headquarters?? It should be a freewill thing. The FGN can only advise but not force. Forcing companies to relocate out of Lagos will be counter productive.

If I have a company mining gold in Gombe, the fact that my mine is in Gombe does not mean I have to compulsorily site my headquarters in Gombe. I can decide to have my headquarters in Kaduna to coordinate all my mines in different parts of the country. Forcing me to site my headquarters in a particular place is highly dictatorial, and will be counterproductive. The places companies site their headquarters is for convenience sake on the part of the company depending a lot of factors.

Gbam!! Gbam!!! cheesy 500 likes for you! Biko, come and perch here and collect two bowls of isi-ewu with one chilled bottle for your lunch break. All the drinks are on the house! cool

agabusta:
The FG also built a Port in Onne, Calabar and Warri. What is stopping the governors from those regions from putting pressure on the FGN to make those ports viable?? The last president that was in the saddle for the past 6 years was from the SS. The SS has the highest number of ports sited in their area. How come all the SS governors and GEJ did not make those ports viable. Does that not interest you?

Now coming to your statement that FG built those earlier ports. Sincerely, I dont think the FG has the financial muscle to build any port for now. Those waiting and expecting the FG to come and build a port for them are just on a long thing.

Lagos state Govt is already embarking on the construction of a deep sea port in Lekki. Smart Lagos state tagged it a joint venture btw Lagos, FGN, and some private investors.

http://sunnewsonline.com/new/work-commences-on-n325bn-lekki-deep-seaport/

http://www.lekkiport.com/

Apart from the Lekki deep sea port, there is also plans by the Lagos State Govt to build another port in Badagry! Imagine such foresight. If Lagos succeeds in building these two ports, that means Lagos alone will have four big ports!

This are evidences about the plans for the Badagry sea port for you. It is even tagged the deepest sea port.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/07/1-5bn-badagry-port-construction-begins-sept-lasg/

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/lagos-unveils-africa-s-biggest-deep-sea-port-in-badagry/214842/

Despite the plan to construct all these ports, Lagos is similarly building an international high way to connect Lagos and the neighboring country. This road is complete with a rail corridor. This is a Federal road, but Lagos has recognized the importance of this road to its socio-economics and has decided to embark on the bold project. You people better start electing people with foresight and vision to be governors over there, and stop crying and waiting for the FGN.

Abeg tell me, what is stopping other SS states from embarking on such a similar ventures?? Akwa Ibom is quite financially capable of such, but it is only rhetorics we have been hearing all this while about the Ibaka seaport. What is stopping Akwa Ibom from actualising this project during Akpabio's regime that they had so much rapport with the FGN?

I strongly believe if it was that port Akpabio constructed instead of that stadium, it would have had more economic advantage. A stadium can then be built thereafter.

Biko my guy, you are too much! Mba nu, I take it back. Eziokwu,....you are three much. When that waiter comes back, just collect as many chilled bottles as you like from him. All the drinks are on me. cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Decongest Lagos-pat Utomi by laudate: 12:06pm On Oct 02, 2015
4stylz:

Just a functioning seaport in calabar and Lagos will be free; how can a country as big as Nigeria have one seaport? Lagos is not even a liveable city.

There is a functional sea port in Calabar. Flat-bottom vessels without a deep hull regularly dock there. For larger vessels to go there, the waters have to be dredged. All the SS and SE governors should work with NPA to make it happen! sad

When it was fully dredged a few years back, only NNPC made use of the port to offload their wet cargo. Our Nigerian importers refused to even look in that direction and still kept scrambling to send their goods to Lagos!! shocked shocked angry

1 Like

Re: How To Decongest Lagos-pat Utomi by 4stylz: 12:10pm On Oct 02, 2015
laudate:

There is a functional sea port in Calabar. Flat-bottom vessels without a deep hull regularly dock there. For larger vessels to go there, the waters have to be dredged. All the SS and SE governors should work with NPA to make it happen! sad

When it was fully dredged a few years back, only NNPC made use of the port to offload their wet cargo. Our Nigerian importers refused to even look in that direction and still kept scrambling to send their goods to Lagos!! shocked shocked angry

Now it's governor's that should do that? Was it a governor that built lagos port? Or Niger deltan oil? SW should as well generate income from their state's and stop waiting for oil money for bailout

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Decongest Lagos-pat Utomi by laudate: 12:16pm On Oct 02, 2015
4stylz:

Now it's governor's that should do that? Was it a governor that built lagos port? Or Niger deltan oil? SW should as well generate income from their state's and stop waiting for oil money for bailout

You asked if it was the governors that should do that? sad If they are interested in making it easier for their people to carry out their daily trading and business activities...yes! If they are interested in further development of their areas, cities and communities...yes! if they are interested in earning more revenue by way of taxes, levies etc, arising from increased business opportunities in their region... yes! shocked undecided

Afterall, Lagos state did it in conjunction with the Federal Govt and their Lekki deep sea port is on course even as we speak!

2 Likes

Re: How To Decongest Lagos-pat Utomi by agabusta: 12:30pm On Oct 02, 2015
laudate:

Gbam!! Gbam!!! cheesy 500 likes for you! Biko, come and perch here and collect two bowls of isi-ewu with one chilled bottle for your lunch break. All the drinks are on the house! cool

Biko my guy, you are too much! Mba nu, I take it back. Eziokwu,....you are three much. When that waiter comes back, just collect as many chilled bottles as you like from him. All the drinks are on me. cheesy

grin grin you honour me thank you. #bows smiley
Re: How To Decongest Lagos-pat Utomi by laudate: 12:35pm On Oct 02, 2015
agabusta:

grin grin you honour me thank you. #bows smiley

Nah... it is actually the other way round. cheesy It was both an honour and a delight to read such a well-researched, well articulated post, devoid of any propaganda or rhetoric. It has been a long time since I read anything like that, on NL. Thank you. cool

1 Like

Re: How To Decongest Lagos-pat Utomi by Nobody: 1:12pm On Oct 02, 2015
I believe all we need is just improved transportation system, especially a railway network from Lagos to everywhere else. I'm talking of high speed trains like they have in Japan and china, people will definitely move out of Lagos. But I'm sure that is crazy expensive and Nigeria cannot afford it, unless maybe after the politicians repent from continuous looting of the nation's treasuries.
Re: How To Decongest Lagos-pat Utomi by scholes0(m): 1:25pm On Oct 02, 2015
4stylz:

Just a functioning seaport in calabar and Lagos will be free; how can a country as big as Nigeria have one seaport? Lagos is not even a liveable city.

And who told you Nigeria has just 1 seaport?
Re: How To Decongest Lagos-pat Utomi by Ofodirinwa: 1:32pm On Oct 02, 2015
4stylz:

Lagos depends on Igbo business, and makes sure ports don't appear anywhere else because of this. The single port situation give Lagos the majority of it's VAT. There's a port being built in Uyo and APC is 'investigating it'. Are we going to address the role of tribalism in this situation or are we going to act like it's not happening? Because if Utomi is ready to face that then that's good
Re: How To Decongest Lagos-pat Utomi by Nobody: 1:32pm On Oct 02, 2015
scholes0:

I tire ooo there is one port in calabar, one in delta and another one in port-harcourt and there's onne port also. We all know why the red mud region doesn't have a port cheesy grin otondos are waiting for Government to build seaports for them. I still don't know why they're waiting afterall they're the japan of africa

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Decongest Lagos-pat Utomi by Nobody: 1:33pm On Oct 02, 2015
Ofodirinwa:

Lagos depends on Igbo business, and makes sure ports don't appear anywhere else because of this. The single port situation give Lagos the majority of it's VAT. There's a port being built in Uyo and APC is 'investigating it'. Are we going to address the role of tribalism in this situation or are we going to act like it's not happening? Because if Utomi is ready to face that then that's good
Re: How To Decongest Lagos-pat Utomi by laudate: 1:37pm On Oct 02, 2015
scholes0:

Don't mind them. That is the lie that some of them want us to believe.
Re: How To Decongest Lagos-pat Utomi by 4stylz: 3:07pm On Oct 02, 2015
scholes0:

Where did you build yours? So I can use there for my goods next time I want to import.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Senate Sets December 19th For Passage Of 2018 Budget / New Year: Be Hopeful, Buhari, Govs, Others Tell Nigerians / Hurray:Dubai Court Extradites Ibori To London

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.