Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,107 members, 7,887,217 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 01:44 AM

Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! - Jobs/Vacancies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! (23566 Views)

80k Job In Sokoto Or Relocate To Abuja To Hustle Please Advice. / 7 Ways To Make Money Online Without Being Scammed… / I Think I've Been Scammed.. Please What Can I Do? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by ecotwins: 11:24am On Oct 05, 2015
I sent you a PM. you may wish to contact me.

Sylver247:
Fellow Nairalanders, I am the op of the thread on "How have you been surviving without a job?"
I have a friend who works with Shell, hes actually a childhood friend we grew up together. We have been apart for long cos he works in Warri while I reside in Lagos.
Recently we hooked up again via Facebook and we got talking on phone about life and all. Told him my jobless situation and he got very concerned about my plight. He promised to do something about it cos I was very open with him, didn't hide or form. He requested for my CV which I quickly edited, refined and wired to his email. He said he would submit it to some senior people in Shell.

About a month later he called me and told me something has come up. That there is 6 a year contract job that will be coming up in October and that I need to acquire a particular training (HUET) without which I can't work in the upstream. He said its normally free but the man in charge of recruiting people said since am just a referral, I have to pay for the training. He said the training is 65k which I confirmed and its true.

Now he promised to pay part of the training fee (40k) for me and said I should take care of the remainder.
I trust this guy (he is my very good friend from same community) but you know people can change suddenly.

I just need advice from people who know about this kind of stuff, if its possible or not. Its small money (25k) but I wouldn't want to be scammed off the little money am surviving with as am currently managing myself. I don't even have the money now but I can run round and get it.
He told me they are waiting for Buhari to announce his cabinet before the project starts and that he will call me.

Please advice me should I give it a shot?

davide470 uboma lalasticlala
Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by amakasparks: 11:25am On Oct 05, 2015
You don't have to send him the money, tell him you have it with you and when its OK to go for the training, you go along with him in person and pay for it, HUET is done everywhere, or better still let him send you the 40k so you go do it yourself. its still same thing.

1 Like

Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by kkboy(m): 11:25am On Oct 05, 2015
Simple thank him and send your account Number to him so that you can make-up the balance and pay directly to the trainer. If he try to object, Tell him you are getting the money from an uncle who is doubtful and you want to use that money paid in by him to convince him to give you the balance. His reaction on this will speak volume. Good luck

2 Likes

Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by Adesiji77: 11:25am On Oct 05, 2015
It is possible...be right back
Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by nobosaba(m): 11:25am On Oct 05, 2015
Sylver247:
Fellow Nairalanders, I am the op of the thread on "How have you been surviving without a job?"
I have a friend who works with Shell, hes actually a childhood friend we grew up together. We have been apart for long cos he works in Warri while I reside in Lagos.
Recently we hooked up again via Facebook and we got talking on phone about life and all. Told him my jobless situation and he got very concerned about my plight. He promised to do something about it cos I was very open with him, didn't hide or form. He requested for my CV which I quickly edited, refined and wired to his email. He said he would submit it to some senior people in Shell.

About a month later he called me and told me something has come up. That there is 6 a year contract job that will be coming up in October and that I need to acquire a particular training (HUET) without which I can't work in the upstream. He said its normally free but the man in charge of recruiting people said since am just a referral, I have to pay for the training. He said the training is 65k which I confirmed and its true.

Now he promised to pay part of the training fee (40k) for me and said I should take care of the remainder.
I trust this guy (he is my very good friend from same community) but you know people can change suddenly.

I just need advice from people who know about this kind of stuff, if its possible or not. Its small money (25k) but I wouldn't want to be scammed off the little money am surviving with as am currently managing myself. I don't even have the money now but I can run round and get it.
He told me they are waiting for Buhari to announce his cabinet before the project starts and that he will call me.

Op and to others, this is a big scam. Be warned.

I was also scammed this way through my uncle in warri who is a pastor, he called me and told me of his friend working in shell that said there is a vacancy was made to pay 40k, then another 50k for training .. Men I don't want to go into details. But bro trust me it's a scam.

2 Likes

Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by Eyepencil: 11:26am On Oct 05, 2015

If your friend actually works in shell go ahead and pay the money. 25k is a chicken change to him. Meanwhile, don't expect sm1 to pay up all the expenses 4u you have to show sm seriousness, thats why he is paying sm part 4u.
Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by jesussaves22: 11:27am On Oct 05, 2015
@ op this had happen to two of my friends one in ph and another in abuja. The ph guy start with 5k for drink to presents to VC of a university in ph down to 30k to settle registrar sec and VC secretary to another 10k to get buy drink for obiakpor LGA chairman to get state of origin. This is after the acclaimed Chief said he has putting 20k from his pocket. Before my guy realise whats happening 120k is gone only to be told that the VC travelled abroad till today. The other abuja guy amazed me because the doer is a childhood friend like op claim but dupe our friend 50k for deposit pending when the job will materialise so that my friend will finish the remaining 100k. Though his motor was sized last xmas when he came home and he paid it right there. Please verify if your friend is a shell staff and verify if there is such job
Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by 400billionman: 11:27am On Oct 05, 2015
Sylver247:

Have you travelled recently to see your friend to ensure he is still working with SHELL ?

I do not see how a confirmed staff(meanwhile they have contract staff o) of shell will scam a job seeker. Nah just one letter i go use secure his suspension and sack...
Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by IndianaJay: 11:28am On Oct 05, 2015
Sylver247:

Poster....Is your friend asking that you send him the money so he can pay for you?

If he is, then it sounds suspicious to me, you should tell him to pay what he wants to assist you with to a reliable training institute while you pay the balance, that way your money will not go awol.

25k is not small money for a job seeker, be very mindful.

We hear these scammers in Abuja use that "President is yet to choose cabinet...hence there is delay" story well.

Shine your eyes, ears and nose.

1 Like

Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by U2ice(m): 11:30am On Oct 05, 2015
My guy warri guys no de carry last o

4rm lag to warri no reach 3k o

I av spoken!

1 Like

Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by ruggedtimi(m): 11:32am On Oct 05, 2015
how sure re you that he is working and also d job opportunity.

1 Like

Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by naijathings(m): 11:33am On Oct 05, 2015
Bcole:
Bros if you cant trust him then don't call him your friend, doesn't seem like a scam to me, if he wanted to scam you he would have asked you to pay all of it or offered to pay a lesser amount..give it a trial...

hahaahahaha
so people still talk about trust in this world? even when money is involved ? wow!

if this is not a scam then I will meet that UR FRIEND anywhere and give him a handshake plus 100 thousand naira cash.
Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by Evathyst(f): 11:33am On Oct 05, 2015
All of you advising him to pay 25K are learners. The HEUT stuff may be real no doubt, but that his friend is working in SHELL is another thing.

See, that he even offered to help him pay part f it is the height of 'scamming'. If truly he works in shell, he shouldn't have a problem paying 65K for his friend. Highest the guy wil refund it as time goes by...

I have a case which I'm presently handling for a friend, if you know how a friend scammed his other friend of 100K. You'll fear human being. My advise, don't pay a dime.

2 Likes

Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by Pesuzok(m): 11:34am On Oct 05, 2015
OP, did you send your CV to his corporate email? Or better still try to confirm if he has shell email address just to be sure he works there. I don't see him scamming you if he works with shell
Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by obailala(m): 11:35am On Oct 05, 2015
Sylver247:

All I am going to ask is, hope you spoken with him on phone?... hope all communications regarding this cash haven't been based on facebook/email?

There's hardly anyway you can know if he's scamming you, you just have to trust him except you can't really afford the money. 25k is a large amount for someone who's not working, but then, it's a small amount to pay to get a job in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by Eyepencil: 11:36am On Oct 05, 2015
dlex21:
if truly he works in shell, he can pay the whole 65k na and when you get the job, if can pay him back double sef.

Remember, eni to mo yan lon pa yan(na person wey sabi you dey kill you)..

My 2kobo

Why would he pay the full money for her?

Nigerians eeh!
Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by Lexusgs430: 11:38am On Oct 05, 2015
Sylver247:

Simply plead with you friend to help you pay the 65k,on the proviso that when you commence employment with shell, he would receive his full payment (plus interest if he wants).
If he is a good friend, he would not collect the interest!!!

1 Like

Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by artade: 11:40am On Oct 05, 2015
Just my thought... But I will finish the sentence for you.
braine:
Yes.. thats probably how your friend survives: Scamming people he knows. lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by eleko1: 11:41am On Oct 05, 2015
embarassed embarassed O ye Grammarian here,helep me explain wetin dis one write.Tenk U.
kkboy:
Simple. Thank him and send your account Number to him so that he can pay in the 40k so that you can make-up the balance and pay directly to the trainer. If he try to object, Tell him you are getting the money from an uncle who is doubtful and you want to use that money paid in by him to convince that your uncle to give you the balance. His reaction on this will speak volume. Good luck
Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by ceejay80s(m): 11:41am On Oct 05, 2015
emmanuel596:
Some 1 wants to help u with 40k and because of ur small 25k balance u brought a useless thread all the way from your community to nl u must be very ungrateful

I don't blame u tho I blame the mods that made this rubbish hit fb

In life if u don't take risk u will never be successful please be wise about doing things what if your friend comes to nl to see this trash about u not trusting him??

As I said before I blame the mods not u
Guy don't talk like that ,my childhood friend scammed me £300 in 2009, I sent the first money for an item which was £65 and he bought and delivered it to me and I sent £300 in a few months to him, till today I no see money and I no see james, don't trust anybody ,even ur own brother

1 Like

Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by Osolo1(m): 11:42am On Oct 05, 2015
My guy,delay the issue about the 25k and discourse other issues with your lost friend.If he mentions the money issue in your conversations after then,take off,or better still send him your account number to send you just 5k so you can run arround to raise the cash,if he does he wants to truelly help,anything else is a scam ( I would already have concluded it is) based on experience.
Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by frisky2good(m): 11:42am On Oct 05, 2015
If you are sure he works with shell, send him the money. If he scams you, report to his company. I'm sure he won't even try it if he really works with shell.

1 Like

Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by sichri(m): 11:43am On Oct 05, 2015
Sylver247:

This your story is confusing.
Since you are from the same community, have you confirmed from a third party to be sure that your friend is actually working with Shell? If yes, are you sure the person you recently hooked up with on Facebook is the same guy? Again are you sure the person you are speaking with is your friend?
If the answers to the questions above are in the affirmative, then be careful of what you post cos I see no reason why someone working with Shell would want to defraud you. And if he sees this, you may have well lost the opportunity.
On the contrary, if your answer to any of my questions above is NO, then guard your money jealously.

1 Like

Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by harbeedaymee(f): 11:44am On Oct 05, 2015
It's obvious you are your own enemy. You are obviously a miser. You say you trust your friend, but when it comes to the issue of money, you start having doubts and yet you want a job. You already know the solution to your problem but your miserly nature is your problem angry angry angry

1 Like

Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by maryhaam(f): 11:44am On Oct 05, 2015
25k is not too much to risk oooo,life itself it a risk,try give it a shot if you have.
Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by kkboy(m): 11:45am On Oct 05, 2015
eleko1:
embarassed embarassed O ye Grammarian here,helep me explain wetin dis one write.Tenk U.

The difference is that you attended secondary school, while i attended grammar school. The difference is 7up!!!!!
Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by EbolaParasite: 11:46am On Oct 05, 2015
Sylver247:

Anyone that works offshore is required to do HUET - Helicopter underwater escape training. That said, rather than pay the money to your friend, suggest going to the training centre directly

1 Like

Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by ferhyntorlah(f): 11:46am On Oct 05, 2015
ollah1:
The easiest people to scam in nigeria today are job seekers

GBAM GBAM GBAM GBAM GBAM GBAM GBAM GBAM GBAM

1 Like

Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by emmanuel596(m): 11:48am On Oct 05, 2015
ceejay80s:

Guy don't talk like that ,my childhood friend scam me £300 in 2009

There are bad things and bad people all around the world but alk things are not bad and all people are not bad either
Am not saying it's not advice able to be careful and do research but 65k is to small for bringing dis topic here wat if d guy is for real and sees this And he the op has gotten d job without having to pay a dime would he has posted it on nl
Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by Excellent7(m): 11:50am On Oct 05, 2015
9jatriot:

Forgive me, I have not seen anywhere he said you should give him the money. If someone is willing to pay part of your training fee and he did not request you give him the money, why not identify the training institute and you both pay the cash direct to the institute and you go for the training.
HUET is usually a requirement for offshore jobs.

Not all that is gold glitters and not all gold glitters.

I concur with you, Sir.
For clarification;
HUET means Helicopter Underwater Escape Training
and SAS means Survival At Sea
These are some of the safety training requirements for personnel to be deployed off-shore.
Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by Nuhusky: 11:52am On Oct 05, 2015
Ghen! Ghen! Even you, you are not sure? For you to doubt him that mean is fake. How sure are you is your old time friend? Scammers have upgrade they study their victim very well before they approach him that's exactly what happen with my friend

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Meet Osahon Ewansiha Hired By Prestofresco In Italy For Preventing Robbery / Dangote Group: Graduate Trainee Driver Job Vacancies / Ernst And Young Calling For Aptitude Test 2012

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.