Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,198,462 members, 7,968,275 topics. Date: Sunday, 06 October 2024 at 11:06 PM

Religious Converts - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Religious Converts (832 Views)

Church General Overseer Converts To Muslim And Gives Reasons / Former US President George W Bush Converts To Islam / Former US President George W Bush Converts To Islam (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Religious Converts by mazaje(m): 12:05pm On Apr 22, 2009
people on nairaland have been stating and defending their beliefs or faiths for a very long time now. . . .some defend their religions against others example the christian faith against islam or atheism while others defend their own sect of christianity example the endless arguments between the catholics and the protestants as who are the true christians that understand the teachings of the bible or what the religion is all about. other arguments or war ranges between other sects of the same faith example between the members of christ embassy vs other christians. . . .i just want to know if all the arguments or case laid out by any member of any religion or sect of belief has ever made any body here to convert, change his/her mind and leave his/her faith. . . for starters i know 2 people(i wont mention their names) that have become atheist because of their visits to the niaraland religious section. . . i just want to know if there are other atheist that have converted to christianity or islam because of their visit to the nairaland religious section. . . . .
Re: Religious Converts by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:17pm On Apr 22, 2009
It is impossible for a Christian to convert to atheism because a Christian is someone who knows God. QED.
Re: Religious Converts by mazaje(m): 3:52pm On Apr 22, 2009
OLAADEGBU:

It is impossible for a Christian to convert to atheism because a Christian is someone who knows God. QED.

what is this fundamentalist deluded freak saying? there are millions of christians that are now atheist so what the heck are you saying?
Re: Religious Converts by Lady2(f): 4:08pm On Apr 22, 2009
mazaje:

people on nairaland have been stating and defending their beliefs or faiths for a very long time now. . . .some defend their religions against others example the christian faith against islam or atheism while others defend their own sect of christianity example the endless arguments between the catholics and the protestants as who are the true christians that understand the teachings of the bible or what the religion is all about. other arguments or war ranges between other sects of the same faith example between the members of christ embassy vs other christians. . . .i just want to know if all the arguments or case laid out by any member of any religion or sect of belief has ever made any body here to convert, change his/her mind and leave his/her faith. . . for starters i know 2 people(i wont mention their names) that have become atheist because of their visits to the niaraland religious section. . . i just want to know if there are other atheist that have converted to christianity or islam because of their visit to the nairaland religious section. . . . .

It has strengthened my faith. Is that good enough? I wasn't lukewarm and I always knew there's a God, but coming here and being challenged and actually forced me to look deeper into my faith and the more I looked the more I learned about my faith, the more I know that my faith is truth, it can be exlained with logic. But unfortunately logic doesn't seem to be enough as logic is becoming relative.

OLAADEGBU:

Are you serious? What world are you living in? Not all Christians know God and certainly not all understand the full truth of the Christian religion. If you were to say those who truly understand and know the full truth of the christian religion will never become atheist ok I would understand, but it is very evident that ppl are christians by name only and not by understanding their faith, so plenty of christians have become atheists or muslims or buddhists, not because the truth lies in those religions but because they misunderstand their own religion.
When encountering them, I find out that most of them do not leave Christianity because of what Christianity really teaches, but because they do not know what christianity realy teaches. They leave for foolish reasons if you ask me.
Re: Religious Converts by dalaman: 5:03pm On Apr 22, 2009
Nairaland was really instrumental for me in leaving my catholic faith, I use to hear arguments for and against Catholicism but my visits to the religion section really helped me to change, I was actually introduced to nairaland by a former Christians who told me that nairaland was instrumental in his conversion to atheism. The point is that I have learned a lot here from both Christians and atheist alike. Some of the arguments are really insightful and help full.
Re: Religious Converts by Lady2(f): 5:18pm On Apr 22, 2009
dalaman:

Nairaland was really instrumental for me in leaving my catholic faith, I use to hear arguments for and against Catholicism but my visits to the religion section really helped me to change, I was actually introduced to nairaland by a former Christians who told me that nairaland was instrumental in his conversion to atheism. The point is that I have learned a lot here from both Christians and atheist alike. Some of the arguments are really insightful and help full.

Do you mind sharing your reason for leaving your faith? Were you already borderline on leaving the faith and then nairaland sealed the deal for you?
Re: Religious Converts by dalaman: 5:22pm On Apr 22, 2009
~Lady~:

Do you mind sharing your reason for leaving your faith? Were you already borderline on leaving the faith and then nairaland sealed the deal for you?

I looked very well and I discovered that most of the things I used to believe in were not really in the bible. The discussions here on nairaland were really help full.
Re: Religious Converts by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:30pm On Apr 22, 2009
mazaje:

what is this fundamentalist deluded freak saying? there are millions of christians that are now atheist so what the heck are you saying?

That's because of your ignorance of who a Christian is.  A Christian is someone who not only knows about God but has a personal encounter and relationship with Him.  He is one who has experienced the cleansing blood of Jesus Christ and has faith in Him alone, and Jesus has come to set up His kingdom in his heart, he is one who has received the forgiveness of his past sins and received the impartation of righteousness by faith and  for the newness of life as a new creature and has hope for his eternal future.  He is not the religious type who only knows about God but doesn't have a personal revelation knowledge of God.
Re: Religious Converts by Lady2(f): 5:37pm On Apr 22, 2009
dalaman:

I looked very well and I discovered that most of the things I used to believe in were not really in the bible. The discussions here on nairaland were really help full.

First of all I am a bit confused. Did you become an atheist or you just left the Catholic faith and became a member of a christian denomination?

Second. Did you ever consider that maybe you haven't encountered passages that do prove the Catholic belief?
Or that you may have misinterpreted something there? Because our interpretation of the Bible isn't fallible. People make the mistake of thinking that they interpret the Bible passages infallibly, and yet fight against man interpreting the Bible, I hope you see the irony in that.

Third, before I continue the dialogue with you, I want to express something to you, I am not trying to convert you, I am not trying to insult you, and I am certainly not trying to have an e-fight with you. So please don't be defensive, a lot of us come to this website already in defense mode, myself included, and I try not to.
So with that being said let me introduce myself. I am ~Lady~, I haven't encountered you here before, are you just a regular spectator or do you get into the sport?
Re: Religious Converts by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:55pm On Apr 22, 2009
~Lady~:

Are you serious? What world are you living in? Not all Christians know God and certainly not all understand the full truth of the Christian religion. If you were to say those who truly understand and know the full truth of the christian religion will never become atheist ok I would understand, but it is very evident that ppl are christians by name only and not by understanding their faith, so plenty of christians have become atheists or muslims or buddhists, not because the truth lies in those religions but because they misunderstand their own religion.
When encountering them, I find out that most of them do not leave Christianity because of what Christianity really teaches, but because they do not know what christianity realy teaches. They leave for foolish reasons if you ask me.

You are still mixing up your understanding of who a Christian is with a religious person.  A religious person may think he or she is a Christian because they were born into a "Christian family", being born in a bakery does not make one a loaf of bread, does it?  Others think that because they belong to one denomination or the other that they are now labelled to be Christians.  A Christian is someone who does not just know about God but actually knows God experientially.  Jesus prayed that "they may know you the only true God and Jesus Christ who you have sent" A Christian is one who is connected to God by faith in Christ alone and not in addition to his works of righteousness which are like filthy rags before God.  Those who do not have this personal relationship with God may be religious and know all about their church traditions and about their church dogmas or doctrines but they do not have this intimate personal experience and revelational knowledge of who God is, when these people have a crisis in their lives they end up becoming atheists since they had no personal knowledge of God in the first place, they were never saved because they were still practising their sinful habits and have not surrendered their wills to the Lordship of our Lord Jesus Christ.  A typical example are those who claimed that they were once Christians but now they are either atheists or muslims, if they were ever Christians they would have known the Lord, even Satan cannot say that God does not exist, he only rebels and disobeys His Will and commandments.
Re: Religious Converts by Lady2(f): 6:00pm On Apr 22, 2009
@ olaadegbu

and you still haven't learned to read posts well. read my posts this time around pls. and see that i mentioned that there are christians who truly understand their fath and there are those who truly do not. basically there are those who are christians by name only. see that i said what you said. learn to read sir, pls.
Re: Religious Converts by Nobody: 6:16pm On Apr 22, 2009
lady u re a religious christian anyway so don't try to reconvert the man plsssssss, as hes free from all ur catholic man made doctrines even if few of them u said is biblical, i tell u right now that this thread has not made u found ur identity in christ ,u re mere lying to urself cos its made worse in accepting him in the proper way
Re: Religious Converts by huxley(m): 6:51pm On Apr 22, 2009
OLAADEGBU:

That's because of your ignorance of who a Christian is.  A Christian is someone who not only knows about God but has a personal encounter and relationship with Him.  He is one who has experienced the cleansing blood of Jesus Christ and has faith in Him alone, and Jesus has come to set up His kingdom in his heart, he is one who has received the forgiveness of his past sins and received the impartation of righteousness by faith and  for the newness of life as a new creature and has hope for his eternal future.  He is not the religious type that only knows about God but He has a revelation knowledge of God.

So this is what you mean - "Once a Christian, always a Christian", correct? So is it open to anyone to KNOW whether they are a Christian or not? If it is, how does one know that?

Jesus once said the following: [Matthew 7:21 (New King James Version)]

21 “Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven.

This implies that many people who call themselves Christian today are really wasting their time, as they will never make it into heaven. And God already knows that these people are just wasting their and his time. What a cruel way to treat people, stringing them along only to discard them into hell at the last day, without so much as informing them.

What if your pastor or minister realises that Christianity is all bollocks and decides to quit this delusion. Does that mean that he never was a real Christian?

Why do most Christian deonminations make a big deal about BACKSLIDING? Backsliding from what, if one was never really a Christian?
Re: Religious Converts by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:03pm On Apr 22, 2009
@huxley,

To be a Christian requires you to make a conscious decision to accept Christ as your Saviour and Lord.  The need of you exercising your will to continue to obey God depends on you but what I am saying is that once you know Christ in a personal way you cannot unknow Him, you may decide to no longer obey Him but you cannot now say that God does not exist, except you say that for ulterior motives.  You must know what it means to be a genuine Christian in the first place.  Read the explanation below and differentiate the religious person from the Christian.

The questions are often asked, “Who is a Christian? How do I know a Christian if I meet one?  Does every Matthew, Luke, or John pass for a Christian?  Is everyone who raises up his hand in response to a preacher’s call to repentance a Christian?  Does everyone who passes through the church isle to the altar pass for a Christian?  Are all those in church pews during church services Christians?  Who is a Christian?  Finally you may ask, “Am I a Christian?”

A soul winner on evangelism met a drunk drifting down a lane.  In his attempt to help him discover the true purpose of living’ he asked, “Are you a Christian?”  The answer came quick and sharp “What do you think I am? A Pagan?”  This is a pitiful point.

A brilliant preacher full of energy and zeal got the pass mark of his congregation. But his life at home showed a pattern of pride and jealousy found in the fallen angel - Lucifer.

A gifted and talented lady-soloist sings like an angel and prays like a prophet but she talks and acts with thunder and volcano in her voice.  Her red-hot temper, contentiousness and confusion are marks of her presence at home or at work.  Are these Christians?  A ‘Niagara’ of stormy words is an indication of the absence of Christ in the heart.

Being a Christian is not a new label: It is a new life.  The word ‘Christian’ first occurred in the New Testament.  It was not in the Old Testament.  “The disciples were called Christians first in Antioch” (Acts11:26).  From the first use of a word, the true meaning and significance of the word become clear.  Disciples were called Christians.

‘Disciple’ is a prominent word in the New Testament.  It did not have any place in the Jewish Religion.  One of the disciples in Antioch referred to as a Christian was in Jewish religion (Galatians 1:13) before he became a Christian.  Living by the Mosiac code of “ordinance, touch not, taste not, handle not,” the ceremonial washing in holy water is ignorance of true discipleship and Christianity. Christianity centres on Jesus Christ - His love, life and light. A Christian therefore is the person who lives the life of Christ as revealed in the New Testament.

The New Testament opens with Jesus Christ who saves from sin (Matthew 1:21) and closes with Jesus Christ, the King who will come quickly - Revelation 22:20. Christ died to make you a Christian.  He did not have to die to make you a churchgoer; you can do that on your own.  But you cannot overcome sin in your natural human nature.  Christ died to suffer for you-through Christ’s merit.  If you confess your sins and ask for pardon and grace you will be forgiven.  Peace and joy will come into your heart.  You will never be the same again.  Christ died to make you live - through definite faith in His precious Blood; your heart and life are changed.  Christ died to reconcile you to God.  Through His meritorious sacrifice, a love relationship is established between you and God. Christ died to give you a new heart and life like His.  You can only enjoy a new heart at the expense of another.

The Christian life radiates the beauty of Christ’s lifestyle - humility, obedience, love, integrity and newness of life.  Check up if you are a Christian.  If not, why not? Be not deceived: God is not mocked: For whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap (Galatians 6:7).  Remember that not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter the kingdom of heaven: but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in Heaven.”

You can decide to confess your sins to God today and repent - make a wholehearted change of life.  Ask for pardon from God in the Name of Jesus, the only one Mediator between God and man (1 Timothy 2:5).  Believe God for His mercy.  Changed and transformed, begin to live a Christian life.

1. Pray everyday especially before you go out in the morning and before you sleep in the evening.
2. Read the Bible everyday especially in the morning before you begin the day and before you sleep in the evening.  (Start with the gospel according to John)
3. Fellowship with Bible-believing Christians.
4. Be conscious of the presence of Jesus EVERY TIME; therefore, do not do whatever will displease Him.
5. Send for more tracts to give to your friends as you share your testimonies with them.
Re: Religious Converts by noetic1: 7:11pm On Apr 22, 2009
mazaje:

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
atheism is as a result of hopelessness. there are millions of people all over the world, in all continents, of all races, tribes and tongues who are accepting Christ and living the christian life.

thou blind atheist . . . . . .u need to see beyond ur nose grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Religious Converts by mazaje(m): 10:09pm On Apr 22, 2009
n_o_e_t_ic:

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
atheism is as a result of hopelessness. there are millions of people all over the world, in all continents, of all races, tribes and tongues who are accepting Christ and living the christian life.

thou blind atheist . . . . . .u need to see beyond ur nose grin grin grin grin grin

thou deluded goon. . . keep on believing the imaginations, fantasies and ideas of jews that would have killed you if you were around when they were writing their legends. . . deluded goat. . . .
Re: Religious Converts by Nobody: 3:37am On Apr 24, 2009
am a muslim now sha, thank GOD but still acknowledge christ
Re: Religious Converts by toneyb: 4:45pm On Apr 24, 2009
Nice, I also was introduced to nairaland by a guy who told me that he is now a very doubtful Christian believer because of his regular visits to the nairaland forum, we meet in a debate here in Melbourne between a secular humanist and a Christian philosopher.

(1) (Reply)

Would Peter Have Denied Jesus After These Experiences? / Amazing Grace . / Blood On Your Hands

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.