Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,201,291 members, 7,977,898 topics. Date: Thursday, 17 October 2024 at 03:17 PM

Why Read The Old Testament –1 - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Read The Old Testament –1 (577 Views)

Who Is The GOD Of The Old Testament? / Annunaki , Have You Read The Old Testament / Pics:archaeologists Discover The City Of Sodom & Gomorrah Matching Old Testament (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Read The Old Testament –1 by Charleschidera(m): 11:16pm On Oct 10, 2015
The Old Testament is more than half the Bible. Yet some people almost ignore it. Why is the Old Testament in our Bible? And what can we get from it?

In some ways we can compare the Bible to an enormous tree. The New Testament is the most visible part. But its roots go deep down into the Old Testament.

==> THE OLD TESTAMENT WAS JESUS’ BIBLE:
Like any Jewish boy, Jesus was brought up to know it well. He referred to it often, and
so did other New Testament writers. Look up 2 Timothy 3:14-17. These famous verses
are actually referring to the value of the Old Testament.
There are lots of Christian ideas, words, and topics which have their roots in the Old Testament.

==> IN SOME WAYS THE OLD TESTAMENT ALSO LOOK FORWARD TO THE NEW TESTAMENT: Look up Isaiah 53:10-12 for example. This is just one of many saying that people came to believe looked forward to the coming of
Jesus. If we want to catch the excitement of Jesus’ followers as there gradually understood who Jesus was, we need to get
to know the Old Testament.

==>THE OLD TESTAMENT DOES SPEAK TO US NOW: It may surprise us to see how much of it is right up to date.

Here are some typical questions that the Old Testament asked:
Q1. How can we remain loyal to God when there are so many things that pull us away form him?
Ans1. Look up Daniel 6:1-28.
What can we learn from this example?

Q2. Why does God allow disasters to happen?
Ans2. The whole of the book of “Job” attempts to explore why God allows suffering.
What do you think of Job’s feelings at the start, in Job 3:1-26, and at the end in Job 42:
2-6?

Through the pages of the Old Testament we meet people wrestling with these problems
just as we do today. The Old Testament is very much a book for today.

“Like a strong tree, the New Testament has its roots in the Old Testament”

Source: https://saviourstep./2015/10/10/why-read-the-old-testament-1/
Re: Why Read The Old Testament –1 by Goshen360(m): 12:05am On Oct 11, 2015
The Old testament is completely different from the new. They are like water and oil that cannot mix. I agree we can see Christ in the old but let's think we our God given regenerated mind - if God canceled the old to establish the new, why do you think the old is still valid on Christians other than for us to see Christ and his finished works in it?

2 - Are we suppose to teach or preach the old testament to Christians today AS IF IT IS STILL VALID on us or we're to teach\preach the old testament IN THE LIGHT\REVELATION of the finished works of Christ since the new has now fulfilled the old and Christ now revealed in his finished works?

3. Almost every subjects in the old is taught differently under the new to show the covenant doesn't run side-by-side with each other. E.g Blessings, salvation, faith, love, obedience etc.
Re: Why Read The Old Testament –1 by menesheh(m): 3:10am On Oct 11, 2015
There is no Christianity without old testament. They have to bear the lethal content. That's what you get when an idea was built on falsehood and naivety.
Re: Why Read The Old Testament –1 by Goshen360(m): 6:13am On Oct 11, 2015
The old testament is a shadow pointing to Christ as the substance. Now that the substance has been revealed, who and what are we as Christians suppose to be looking up to?
Re: Why Read The Old Testament –1 by Nobody: 7:31am On Oct 11, 2015
Goshen360:
The Old testament is completely different from the new. They are like water and oil that cannot mix. I agree we can see Christ in the old but let's think we our God given regenerated mind - if God canceled the old to establish the new, why do you think the old is still valid on Christians other than for us to see Christ and his finished works in it?

2 - Are we suppose to teach or preach the old testament to Christians today AS IF IT IS STILL VALID on us or we're to teach\preach the old testament IN THE LIGHT\REVELATION of the finished works of Christ since the new has now fulfilled the old and Christ now revealed in his finished works?

3. Almost every subjects in the old is taught differently under the new to show the covenant doesn't run side-by-side with each other. E.g Blessings, salvation, faith, love, obedience etc.
Shut up and Learn wisdom. Do you sin when you read the Old testament?

I have a problem with doctrinated people like you and people of the religion. Can you understand the book of revelation without book of Daniel and Ezekiel?

How will you know about Lucifer if the Old testament did not reveal him?

How will you know your origin if Genesis does not speak of it?

How will you know Jesus is the Christ if Isaiah did not describe the sufferings of the Messiah?

Be calm and Learn from others.

1 Like

Re: Why Read The Old Testament –1 by Goshen360(m): 8:14am On Oct 11, 2015
starlingslimnet:
Shut up and Learn wisdom. Do you sin when you read the Old testament?

I have a problem with doctrinated people like you and people of the religion. Can you understand the book of revelation without book of Daniel and Ezekiel?

How will you know about Lucifer if the Old testament did not reveal him?

How will you know your origin if Genesis does not speak of it?

How will you know Jesus is the Christ if Isaiah did not describe the sufferings of the Messiah?

Be calm and Learn from others.

I think you should first learn manners before coming to the public to express your views. It's forum for discussion and not for personal issues. And who told you I don't read\study the old? Obviously, you misunderstood everything. How do you read\understand the old after Christ has now fulfill what the old talked about in the new?
Re: Why Read The Old Testament –1 by Nobody: 8:22am On Oct 11, 2015
Goshen360:

I think you should first learn manners before coming to the public to express your views. It's forum for discussion and not for personal issues. And who told you I don't read\study the old? Obviously, you misunderstood everything. How do you read\understand the old after Christ has now fulfill what the old talked about in the new?
Manners you say? Fools understand one language and that is Blunt words.Christ called the Pharisee fools because that is what they are. That being said I will answer your question.

I don't read the Bible nowadays I live by Faith and depends on the Holy Spirit for directions and explanations on things and he has not for once failed. But those days I read the Bible I read OT as a pointer to someone and NT a revealer of someone.

(1) (Reply)

What Does The Bible Mean That We Are Not To Judge Others? / What Are Some Different Methods Of Bible Study? / Open Heavens Daily Devotional 09/11/15

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.