Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,786 members, 7,875,957 topics. Date: Sunday, 30 June 2024 at 04:55 AM

Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language - Culture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language (78276 Views)

Meet The Anibeze People Of Bayelsa State, The Isoko Tribe Found In Bayelsa / Warri: The Urhobo/Isoko People In Entertainment And The Warri Brand / Gorgeous Urhobo Bride From Niger Delta (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language by IlekeHD: 5:31pm On Nov 08, 2015
Who knows how long the reclassification of Yoruba culture and language has been going on in this section?

Most Yorubas don't even visit this section unless it's on front page.

Is there a thread on how "eko" is an Igbo word?

Cc Seun

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language by AyakaDunukofia: 5:31pm On Nov 08, 2015
Goodboiy:

@Bolded .. yep. we call eagle Ugo'.. is it the same with Igbo ?.. if you pls do notify me so I can add it to my list..asap

I heard Uhrobos/Isoko call in-law 'ogom" which is the same in Igbo?

Pig as 'Ezi' in both languages?
Re: Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language by IGBOPRINCE: 5:37pm On Nov 08, 2015
fratermathy:

Urhobos and Igbo ancestry? Oh Please! Isokos may have some Igboid elements but not Urhobo! Urhobos are full blooded Edos in culture, language and cosmology! Please take note! Dont incite arguments that cannot be won.

Its not that I have nothing against Igbos! I know that some Urhobo clans such as Orogun and Olomu, or so, had maternal Igbo relationship in their early history. For instance, Orogun, the eponymous name of the clan's progenitor is an Ukwuani term. However, apart from Orogun itself, NO URHOBO CLAN HAS ANYTHING TO DO WITH IGBO whether culturally, linguistically, philosophically or otherwise. Urhobos are Edos in most of these and even its degree of "Edoness" has diminished over time with the fashioning of a new identity for ourselves.
pls which of the edo languages the urhobo re similar with? Cos the last time I travelled to edo state. I was marvelled at the existence of many languages in edo state.
The auchi,the esan, the okada, the oredos, the akoko edos and the binis. Pls I respects your comments but I need to know the particular language that s similar to that of urhobo at bolded.

1 Like

Re: Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language by 4C2215131: 5:39pm On Nov 08, 2015
fratermathy:
Lovely thread! Make I go ready my ekpeti first.

Ekpeti don set.

Although I wont restrict mine to Igbo/Yoruba

a.isikuru English: school
b.igalasi English: glass
c.akiteti English: architect
d.itaba Portuguese: tabaco (Tobacco)
e.Osete Portuguese: serta (Plate)
f.utujoro Portuguese: tesoura (Scissors)
g.uririen Portuguese: unie (an ingredient for pepper soup)
h.oleso Portuguese leso (handkerchief)
i.inama Hausa: nama (cow meat)
j.ibo English: ball
k.itomatosi Portuguese: tomato
l.ikpekere Yoruba: kpekere (plantain chips)
m.ejime Igbo: ejime (twin)
n.osusu Yoruba: osusu (monthly savings)
o. ikeki English: cake
p.imidaka Portuguese: mandioca (Cassava)
q.ugu Igbo: ugu (vegetable)
r.akpere Yoruba: akpere (basket)
s. imanu Hausa: malu (cow)
t. ifiniya Portuguese: farinha (tapioca)
u.isabatu Portuguese: sapato (sandals)
v.igho Portuguese: igos/iguou (money)
w.agbero Yoruba: agbero (tout)
x.akara Yoruba: akara (beans cake)
y.iyasere Edo: iyasere (prime minister)
z.isuya Hausa: suyah (roasted beef)
cheesy Alphabet don finish o Goodboiy. Freemanan permission to carry on?
i. akpu Igbo: akpu (Fufu)
ii.ibanki English: bank
iii.ikomputa English: computer
iv.ibroda English: brother
v.oro Portuguese: ouro (gold)

That's all I have for now.
This post is subject to further edits if more ideas come cheesy. Lalasticlala, Seun, Dominique, Obinoscopy and Oam4j, please take note and beware of my sons, Goodboiy, Freemanan, Alkarulezz, Freeemanan, Scholes0 and Onuwaje, emo zighizighi!

This is really revealing.
Re: Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language by DOCTORDONE: 5:40pm On Nov 08, 2015
Goooood! Shows we are one no matter the differences.
Re: Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language by Xfemt(m): 5:40pm On Nov 08, 2015
BROS abeg olori no be head for urhobo like wise Ewa no be beans for urhobo CORRECTION: Uyovwe na head for urhobo And Isha or esha ny be beans

For the rest I hail u, U try I de hold u one mosquito lap
Re: Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language by MsZeezah: 5:41pm On Nov 08, 2015
Goodboiy:

Lolz.. BRo re you sure ?.. I did research b4 posting that @bolded.. pls do. confirm it. so I can modify it.. asap
It is called Èsúsú or Èésú in Yoruba Language. And it means monthly contributions

3 Likes

Re: Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language by airsaylongcon: 5:41pm On Nov 08, 2015
bigfrancis21:

This thread is supposed to be for Igbo and Yoruba words, and influences thereof, found in Urhobo and not a supposed Urhobo language learning thread. If I am wrong, re-read the title of the thread again to understand what it is actually for.

And the several derailing? Arguments about which word is yoruba or Igbo? Or which part of Urhobo is Igbo or not?

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language by Classicool(m): 5:42pm On Nov 08, 2015
AyakaDunukofia:

Before you assign any word to a particular group, make sure you did your research!

Isusu has Igbo origin. It is an ancient banking tradition of the Nri Igbo brought to the Americas by the Igbo slaves. It beacame known as "Susu".
Is Osusu not Isusu... So don't derail it.

1 Like

Re: Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language by airsaylongcon: 5:44pm On Nov 08, 2015
IGBOPRINCE:
pls which of the edo languages the urhobo re similar with? Cos the last time I travelled to edo state. I was marvelled at the existence of many languages in edo state.
The auchi,the esan, the okada, the oredos, the akoko edos and the binis. Pls I respects your comments but I need to know the particular language that s similar to that of urhobo at bolded.

I stand to be corrected, I think it's closer to Esan. But an Urhobo will identify Bini language when spoken without even understanding a word of what is been said

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language by bigfrancis21: 5:45pm On Nov 08, 2015
Aigbofa:

I believe the op created this thread to inform and educate people about his culture not to misinform as you have been trying to do.
And you call yourself a moderator?

I am not misinforming anybody. I have evidence for what I had said:

(8.). "Oba" is a word adopted from Benin and not Yoruba as many made us to believe. There is no king of Yoruba's people. and if there is, what was his title?;how many Yoruba prominent traditional leaders/rulers carried the title Oba? since when?.if Yoruba calls their king Oba,it doesn't mean we derived our king's name (N'Oba) from them. Everyone has a name for king in the their native language/tongue. The Oba of Lagos is Eleko of Eko not Oba, the British change it to Oba. the Origin of word "oba" is Benin

http://ihuanedo.ning.com/forum/topics/why-yoruba-never-had-an-empire-but-civilized-by-benin?groupUrl=healtheducation&x=1&groupId=2971192%3AGroup%3A14663&id=2971192%3ATopic%3A124153&page=1

I am not derailing the thread and, just like others, only corrected some of the words the wordlist the op provided. Others, Urhobos I believe, have corrected him on some of the words he listed as Urhobo to not be Urhobo words but gave their actual Urhobo words.

Anyway, I have made my point.

3 Likes

Re: Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language by Abagworo(m): 5:45pm On Nov 08, 2015
Ofklaw:
Dont forget that Urhobo has a word for king.. OVIE

Which of course is related to Igbo word Obi and still said to be traced to Bini word Oba which is shared between Bini and Yoruba which in turn means we are all related.
Re: Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language by kokorodudu(f): 5:46pm On Nov 08, 2015
Like seriously, what's original to you guys?
Goodboiy:
Hi peeps.. I haven't create any new thread recently due to some reasons best known To me, Although I still Remain your loyal boy "Goodboiyy" . Below are some Igbo and Yoruba word used in Urhobo language.

1. Biko : Biko is an Igbo word for "Please" And it means same in Urhobo, in Urhobo you usually hear word like "Oghene' biko keme' Igho" Meaning "God please Give me money".

2. Olori : Olori is a Yoruba Word for Head .. in Urhobo it means the same thing..

3. Orgor' : Orgor' is an Igbo word for 'Inlaw'. It means the same thing in Urhobo.. for example I might say "Oniovo Orgor we' nkor " meaning 'brother how is Your Inlaw ".

4. Omo' : Omo'r is a Yoruba word for Child, It has same meaning in Urhobo.. I can make statement like " e' Freemanan Omo'r meh' … meaning "Freemanan is my Son" grin

5. Obara' : Obara is an Igbo word for blood.. It means Same In Urhobo.. Why The Igbo woman will shout "Obara Jesus" and Urhobo Woman will say "Oba'rah' Re' Jesu"

6. Jesu' : Jesu' is an Yoruba word for Jesus . its still the same in Urhobo

7. Ew'a : Ew'a is another Yoruba word for Beans and its thesame with Urhobo. Ew'a is pronounced in Urhobo exactly thesame with That of Yoruba

8. OBA : OBA is a Yoruba word for king , We still use it in Urhobo.. If we Want to Call God.. we say Oba' risi' meaning " King Of The Word"

9. Akpere : Is a Yoruba word for basket, it means the same Thing in Urhobo

10. Ego : Its an Igbo word for Money.. in Urhobo we say Igho .. I believe the word belongs to Igboid.

11. ejime : Its an Igbo word for Twins, Its spelt and Pronounced The same in Urhobo

12. Osusu : Is a Yoruba Word for Monthly savings. Its the same in Urhobo

Pls don't derail the thread. THANKS
Re: Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language by Kirigidi(m): 5:47pm On Nov 08, 2015
OP, I'm not so happy wit dis ur post. Why do u hav to treat Urhobo dis way nd surprisly, u ar even an Urhobo? How did u know dat it was Urhobo language dat borrowd those words frm Igbo nd Yoruba languages, nd not d other way round? Is it because Urhobo is a minority language nd d other two ar majority languages? So u mean because Urhobo is a minor language there4 Igbo nd Yoruba languages can't loan/borrow words from it? Dat is a lie. Languages dat ar neighbors can borrow words frm one anoda irrespectiv of size. While I'm not disputin d fact dat Urhobo language share these words in common d them, it is also possible dat those words u listd were borrowd frm Urhobo language by Igbo nd Yoruba languages. Moreova, d name "Jesu" u mentiond did not in anyway originatd frm Yoruba. Rather, "Jesu" is d Portuguese name for Jesus. And if u culd rememba, d Portuguese were d first Europeans we interactd wit via trades, nd many of dia words were adoptd by our ancestors, e.g. oro (gold), sabato (sandals), Escravos, Forcados, etc.
Re: Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language by LordAdam: 5:48pm On Nov 08, 2015

3 Likes

Re: Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language by bigfrancis21: 5:48pm On Nov 08, 2015
airsaylongcon:

And the several derailing? Arguments about which word is yoruba or Igbo? Or which part of Urhobo is Igbo or not?

I am not derailing the thread but making corrections on some of the words the op wrongly ascribed to a certain tribe. Just as I corrected him that Jesu is not a Yoruba word but common to almost all African languages, so did someone also correct him by saying olori and ewa that he mentioned are not Urhobo words for head and beans but uyovwe and isha. Should that be classified as derailing too?

Xfemt:
BROS abeg olori no be head for urhobo like wise Ewa no be beans for urhobo
CORRECTION:
Uyovwe na head for urhobo
And
Isha or esha ny be beans

For the rest I hail u,
U try
I de hold u one mosquito lap

3 Likes

Re: Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language by IGBOPRINCE: 5:48pm On Nov 08, 2015
airsaylongcon:

I stand to be corrected, I think it's closer to Esan. But an Urhobo will identify Bini language when spoken without even understanding a word of what is been said
esan? I guess the esan speaks bini. ok thanx..
Re: Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language by LordAdam: 5:50pm On Nov 08, 2015

2 Likes

Re: Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language by IlekeHD: 5:51pm On Nov 08, 2015
bigfrancis21:

http://ihuanedo.ning.com/forum/topics/why-yoruba-never-had-an-empire-but-civilized-by-benin?groupUrl=healtheducation&x=1&groupId=2971192%3AGroup%3A14663&id=2971192%3ATopic%3A124153&page=1

I am not derailing the thread and, just like others, only corrected some of the words the wordlist the op provided. Others, Urhobos I believe, have corrected him on some of the words he listed as Urhobo to not be Urhobo words but gave their actual Urhobo words.

Have a piece of shame.

Your evidence is a blog from someone who may just be as ignorant as you? And you wonder why this is the only evidence?

We need history classes in Nigeria. Awwww this is getting pathetic.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language by macof(m): 5:52pm On Nov 08, 2015
IlekeHD:

Yoruba

Month - Osu

Monthly- Ososu

Ahh! Makes sense but is this "Esusu" pronounced like "Osu"?

1 Like

Re: Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language by bigfrancis21: 5:53pm On Nov 08, 2015
Classicool:

Yoruba and Benin are not that too different because most their words are inter-connected... I remember a family friend of mine they speak yoruba to the fullest and I can't even understand Edo... And Bini/Edo understand yoruba language because both Edo and Yoruba are both trade partners in the ancient days...
And Yoruba and Edo have cultural ties... There's something Called "Awon Oba Alade Merindinlogun" which means the 16 crown kings.. That include Oba Bini,Olu of Warri.. And Others in Yorubaland... That why you can never see Yoruba,Edo,Itsekiri fighting or arguing.. Because they are so connected that I can't even explain there mutuality

Dude, Bini and Yoruba languages are 2 different languages, save for a few words in common just as Igbo and Yoruba share words in common but are 2 totally different languages. When a Bini person writes his language here, you as a Yoruba will not pick up what he is trying to say. This is a misrepresentation of facts. Edo is not even classified as Yoruboid to begin with but as an entirely different language class on its own. Stop the misrepresentation of facts.

3 Likes

Re: Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language by AyakaDunukofia: 5:54pm On Nov 08, 2015
macof:

I didn't know it was called Esusu, I know it as "Ajo"

You may be correct. Igbo and Yoruba might have practiced similar system but the word Isusu has Igbo origins.

The Isusu: An Institution For Capital Formation Among the Ngwa Igbo; Its Origin and Development to 1951
http://www.africabib.org/rec.php?RID=191683221
Re: Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language by bigfrancis21: 5:55pm On Nov 08, 2015
absoluteSuccess:

What published evidence do you have, that was signed by an Ogiso, and canonized as 'holy grail', that contrary claims can distort?

tongue
Helloo?

I asked you for evidence but you cannot provide any, other than the repetition of what you have been told since childhood you have come to believe as true,

1 Like

Re: Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language by macof(m): 5:55pm On Nov 08, 2015
Goodboiy:

Lolz.. BRo re you sure ?.. I did research b4 posting that @bolded.. pls do. confirm it. so I can modify it.. asap

I've not confirmed yet o. .
Re: Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language by deramarks(f): 5:57pm On Nov 08, 2015
We all speak d same language nau but we don't know lol one day while d hausas were speakin their language I was tryin to figure out if there was anytin about d language I cud grab nd I tort I head one say" ukwu mah!" Which means diz ma waist in igbo lol I cudnt stop laffin wehn I remember ma shock dat day lol. Just try listenin to d hausas rap their languge u'll hear a lot of ur own language dere used for oda purpose
Re: Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language by mikigen(m): 5:58pm On Nov 08, 2015
asuustrike2009:

What of isha Isn't beans? because that is what most of my friends pronounce and call it.
yes its still means bean in URHOBO language its actually "ESHA"
Re: Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language by IGBOPRINCE: 5:59pm On Nov 08, 2015
LordAdam:

The Urhobo and Isoko people are not one and the same people. #fact#.

Delta State is a melting pot of the ancient dominant people in the south. The Itsekiri people trace most of their ancestry to the Yoruba. The Urhobo and Isoko to the Bini. The Anioma people to the Igbo people. However, Isoko is even more diverse, some clans trace their ancestry to the Bini (Oleh, Iluelogbo) some to the Igbo (Igbide). Without reading up on any historical book, local storyline of ancestry in Igbide portend that their ancestor was from present day Anambra state.

The Isoko people have a diverse ancestry, but have gone beyond that. There was always bound to be contact that could reflect in language and culture. Please do not clog the Urhobo and Isoko people together again. They may be similar but they have distinct differences.
on points

1 Like

Re: Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language by IlekeHD: 5:59pm On Nov 08, 2015
macof:

Ahh! Makes sense but is this "Esusu" pronounced like "Osu"?

Esu- a Yoruba mythological God. Esusu, I believe means monetary contribution.

Other similar terms:

Araaro- every morning | aaro -morning
Alale- every evening | ale - evening
Ododun- every year |Odun - Year

3 Likes

Re: Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language by Kirigidi(m): 6:00pm On Nov 08, 2015
airsaylongcon:

I strongly believ dat Urhobo-Isoko nd Ishan languages ar one language originaly, judgin by d close similarities existin btw them. Howeva, geographical isolation occassioned by migrations in d ancient pasts may hav brought about d present variations existin in d two languages (i.e. Urhobo-Isoko nd Ishan).
Re: Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language by NewNigeriaMind: 6:00pm On Nov 08, 2015
bigfrancis21:

You should be ashamed of yourself as a MOD, seun please how can you make this tribalist a MOD.

Your sources is from a website that is everything anti-Yoruba.

Leaving that aside, what is the correlation between this two.

From your initial post:

Ancient Yoruba kings were never addressed as Oba but were known by their various territorial titles such as alaafin of xyz, ajuwale of abc. We begin to see the appearance of Oba in Yoruba land after the Binis conquered Lagos and installed an Oba of Lagos (mind you this Oba was a Bini Oba, not a Yoruba Oba, ruling over Lagos) after which the usage of 'Oba' began to spread over Yoruba land.

Now the source you quoted says this:

(8.). "Oba" is a word adopted from Benin and not Yoruba as many made us to believe. There is no king of Yoruba's people. and if there is, what was his title?;how many Yoruba prominent traditional leaders/rulers carried the title Oba? since when?.if Yoruba calls their king Oba,it doesn't mean we derived our king's name (N'Oba) from them. Everyone has a name for king in the their native language/tongue. The Oba of Lagos is Eleko of Eko not Oba, the British change it to Oba. the Origin of word "oba" is Benin

what is use of this "the Binis conquered Lagos and installed an Oba of Lagos" in the context of your source "Eleko of Eko not Oba"

you are shameless tribalist cheesy

you are really dumb THOUGH cause the reasonable question is, are we are to believe Oba is a Bini WORD( EVEN THOUGH THE BINI PEOPLE DONT CLAIM IT TO BE SO) because of this "British change it to Oba." and your ignorant and hate filled sources concluded without any eveidence in the write up "the British change it to Oba. the Origin of word "oba" is Benin"

Like Ilekeh ASKED, one day you Igbo people will say Eko is an Igbo word cheesy

18 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language by NewNigeriaMind: 6:02pm On Nov 08, 2015
bigfrancis21:

I asked you for evidence but you cannot provide any, other than the repetition of what you have been told since childhood you have come to believe as true,

And the only evidence you have is this: OTEDO.COM

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language by bigfrancis21: 6:02pm On Nov 08, 2015
IlekeHD:

Have a piece of shame.

Your evidence is a blog from someone who may just be as ignorant as you? And you wonder why this is the only evidence?

We need history classes in Nigeria. Awwww this is getting pathetic.

I believe that you are an adult and you are capable of holding a debate without resorting to insults. You live in a foreign country and I expect better etiquette from you.

What makes him ignorant? You do realize now that I wasn't just making up things for myself and actually had a source? You think I just wake up one morning and say things? undecided

4 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply)

Shock As Men Steal Meat From Lions / Celebrating Egbe Omo Yoruba / Yoruba Proverb Competition

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.