Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,876 members, 7,952,567 topics. Date: Wednesday, 18 September 2024 at 06:20 PM

Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language - Culture (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language (79674 Views)

Meet The Anibeze People Of Bayelsa State, The Isoko Tribe Found In Bayelsa / Warri: The Urhobo/Isoko People In Entertainment And The Warri Brand / Gorgeous Urhobo Bride From Niger Delta (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language by IlekeHD: 6:34pm On Nov 08, 2015
Appareil:
I am not even Igbo sir! I am sympathising with them.Thankyou!

I leave your claim for Akwa Ibom people.
Re: Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language by Appareil(m): 6:36pm On Nov 08, 2015
Sincerely, if I have any counsel for the Igbos avoid all tribal threads. The hatred is too much! I BEG!!!!!!
Re: Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language by fastestfinger: 6:36pm On Nov 08, 2015
Agbaletu:

I disagree with you Mr. MOD...part of your responsibilities is to right the wrong here, and if there is anything you don't know i think you should keep quiet.
keep quiet? So, he shouldn't air his views again just because he is a MOD?especially when he is trying to effect some corrections to subtle attempts to distort history? You need to stop muzzling people to tow your line of thought...it's actually okay for someone to hold a different opinion from you.
Re: Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language by NewNigeriaMind: 6:40pm On Nov 08, 2015
fastestfinger:
keep quiet? So, he shouldn't air his views again just because he is a MOD?especially when he is trying to effect some corrections to subtle attemps to distort history? You need to stop muzzling people to tow your line of thought...it's actually okay for someone to hold a different opinion from you.

Actually difference in opinion is good.

However making a false statement as truthful factual is wrong.

In this case, Mr. MOD is the one trying to distort facts of our History. cheesy

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language by FisifunKododada: 6:44pm On Nov 08, 2015
IlekeHD:

A while ago on nl, someone even claimed that Ekiti is associated with igbo language because it was different from central Yoruba. God forbid bad news.

Clowns.

grin grin grin grin grin - that is another level of distortion, walahi. God punish Shatani.

10 Likes

Re: Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language by IGBOPRINCE: 6:44pm On Nov 08, 2015
rexbuton:

I've been trying to ignore you but you seem bend on posting stuff you know nothing about.
There are no languages like oredo, okada , bini.. Oredo and okada are places, they speak bini. Every esan man can understand bini and vice versa. Auchi is etsako, and is the dialect closer to urhobo, oghena, etsako - urhobo, oghene for GOD, in similar fashion mainstream edo has many loaned words to urhobos which are far too numerous for me to start listing especially as I don't speak urhobo. Esan, urhobos, itsekiri, etsako, emai, ora and parts of anioma all claim their descent to benin and we all know their times of migration/settlement and their founders. It's in history books intelligence reports and preserved records
it s a good thing you finally corrects my impression towards edo people. The last time I travelled to benin city, the guy from auchi and the other one from oredo or esan cannot understands themselves. So they both prefare to use pilgin language as a means of communication. they told me that most of edo peeps from the same local gvt or communality or bit far away from each other can't understand/communicates with themselves cos the languages re different from each other. They even told me that the people from oredo local govt speaks esan cos of their proximity to benin city.

Sorry if I misrepresent the facts here but humans lived by impressions most a times.

At bolded, part of anioma(few ikas and few ukwuani) that claimed their descent to benin but they did a great mistakes by abandoning their languages and adopting the igbo languages. Even as big as ikwerres/ogba is. They even abandoned their languages and adopted igbo speaking dialects. It still baffled me and majority of igbo peeps. Sometime I do tell them, that there was a time few binis came to igbo lands but they inter married and had influenced on them like the ikas,ukwuani,ogba and ikwerres. The facts is that igbos already settled there before the coming of binin peeps.

My take..sad

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language by fastestfinger: 6:45pm On Nov 08, 2015
FisifunKododada:

cool I support this motion, walahi. IlekehHD is a hundred times more intelligent and knowledgeable than bignothing
Yeah...you're right, she gets an "A" in bigotry.

5 Likes

Re: Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language by NewNigeriaMind: 6:45pm On Nov 08, 2015
Enough of the shenanigans,

at OP that's for the thread, I learnt quite a few new stuff her, no thanks to the tribal mod angry

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language by Awoofawo(m): 6:45pm On Nov 08, 2015
IlekeHD:

I think they vote on it. There's a moderator forum that nonmods can't see..

Seun how did this tribalist become a mod? You might as well make me a mod in the politics section.
The kind war you go cause, even Seun go run commot Nairaland for you! grin

3 Likes

Re: Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language by erumena(m): 6:46pm On Nov 08, 2015
menabae:
I think there is an elements of truth in ur post,I'm an isoko girl,and there is a village call asaba-ase meaning small asaba in isoko land,these people speaks both isoko and igbo fluently #fact# even some words in isoko rhyme in igbo e.g ude cream,aferri-plate. Not sure of the spellings sha

I'm also an Isoko guy from Ada-Irri, according to my Dad we're not linked to the Igbos. As the op said, we have words in Isoko/Urhobo that sounds similar with similar meaning zZz, I believe these are borrowed words.

10 Likes

Re: Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language by Agbaletu: 6:46pm On Nov 08, 2015
fastestfinger:
keep quiet? So, he shouldn't air his views again just because he is a MOD?especially when he is trying to effect some corrections to subtle attempts to distort history? You need to stop muzzling people to tow your line of thought...it's actually okay for someone to hold a different opinion from you.

I wouldn't have dignified you with any response but i can't be quiet when a non-Yoruba is attempting to rewrite our history.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language by erumena(m): 6:46pm On Nov 08, 2015
menabae:
I think there is an elements of truth in ur post,I'm an isoko girl,and there is a village call asaba-ase meaning small asaba in isoko land,these people speaks both isoko and igbo fluently #fact# even some words in isoko rhyme in igbo e.g ude cream,aferri-plate. Not sure of the spellings sha

I'm also an Isoko guy from Ada-Irri, according to my Dad we're not linked to the Igbos. As the op said, we have words in Isoko/Urhobo that sounds similar with similar meaning, I believe these are borrowed words.

1 Like

Re: Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language by Nobody: 6:46pm On Nov 08, 2015
bigfrancis21:

You are clearly ignorant of Edo-Yoruba history. Just because Yorubas popularly use 'oba' does not mean it is of Yoruba origin. 'oba' is a bini word and not a Yoruba word. I know this sounds surprising to you to learn this but the word originates from the binis, not Yorubas. True bini people know this. I'm going to invite NigerMan1, a proud Eshan man, to school you on this.

I don't know what you mean by 'olu' being a Yoruba word. You have to give the meaning of that word you're referencing. 'olu' as a word exists in several african languages and means different things. In Igbo, 'olu' could mean 'neck', 'voice' or 'riverine people living close to the river/sea'.

Do not think you know it all. You have to keep an open mind to learning things that you don't know or correcting impressions that you thought were probably right before.

My dear "oba" is a yoruba word for king. It has bn used since time immemorial and has its origins in ife. Yorubas use oba mostly as a verb and sometimes as a noun. We have individual titles for our obas because we have a strong oriki culture. The obas titles have their orikis. DO NOT REWRITE YORUBA HISTORY!!!! Google is a friend. And pls i do not care who d heck told u ur pack of lies because they are offended by d yorubas version of bini history. We have our receipts - we have ancient orikis, proverbs, dt have bn passed down from generations, and passed down in other yoruba enclaves not in nigeria as well.

Im sure ur nigerman are those binis dt believe yorubas and binis have no link. I will agree wt him abt dt if dts his story, but he shldnt start making up other stories in his head. Why d f**k would all d yoruba towns from north to south to east to west start copying a bini term. Copying oba of lagos? lmao!!! Hope u know d lagos island where d binis had a war camp was very tiny. It was nothing compared to d egba & ijebu territories on d lagos mainland. Ode.

17 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language by FisifunKododada: 6:49pm On Nov 08, 2015
IlekeHD:

They're claiming Igala?

Lmaooo lawd dash these people sense cheesy

cool Walahi - I couldn't stop laughing too.

3 Likes

Re: Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language by FisifunKododada: 6:51pm On Nov 08, 2015
fastestfinger:
Yeah...you're right, she gets an "A" in bigotry.

cool why e pain you like dis? Chai! danbanza. lwkmd grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language by bigfrancis21: 6:53pm On Nov 08, 2015
janellemonae:

My dear "oba" is a yoruba word for king. It has bn used since time immemorial and has its origins in ife. Yorubas use oba mostly as a verb and sometimes as a noun. We have individual titles for our obas because we have a strong oriki culture. The obas titles have their orikis. DO NOT REWRITE YORUBA HISTORY!!!! Google is a friend. And pls i do not care who d heck told u ur pack of lies because they are offended by d yorubas version of bini history. We have our receipts - we have ancient orikis, proverbs, dt have bn passed down from generations, and passed down in other yoruba enclaves not in nigeria as well.

Im sure ur nigerman are those binis dt believe yorubas and binis have no link. I will agree wt him abt dt if dts his story, but he shldnt start making up other stories in his head. Why d f**k would all d yoruba towns from north to south to east to west start copying a bini term. Copying oba of lagos? lmao!!! Hope u know d lagos island where d binis had a war camp was very tiny. It was nothing compared to d egba & ijebu territories on d lagos mainland. Ode.

You started out well and would have given you the thumbs up for it until you resorted to insults.

However, many Binis insist that the word 'oba' is a bini word. I don't understand all the fury hauled at me for mentioning something some Edos actually believe themselves. I am not Bini neither am I re-writing your history but there are some words which their origins are in contention.

Another Bini writer that writes on the possible Bini origin of 'oba':

I posted this article to Edo net sometime ago. I have reworked and added a few things in view of the ongoing debate over prostitution by Edo girls.

The expanded form of the word Ogiso is Ogie-iso, which when tranlated in Edo means, king of the sky. The word Ogie means king, Iso means Sky or Heaven. Thus the Edo people believe that thieir kings come from the sky or more appropiately, from Heaven or from God. It is belief which explains why the Oba or king is the embodiment of the culture of the Edo people. The story of the people of the people cannot be written without reference to their king or Oba. Indeed, everything revolves round the Oba. For example, a matured man would be appropriately referred to as Okpioba(meaning Oba´s man)Conversely, a woman would be referred to as Okhuoba (meaning Oba´s woman).

The salutions or greetings of the Edo people have not excluded their Oba. Thus for "Good morning" Edo man or woman would say Oba Owie(meaning King of the Morning) "For good afternoon" they would say Oba Avan (King of the afternoon) and for "good evening" they would say Oba ota (meaning king of the Evening). The origin of the word Oba has been a subject of controversy.

The early kings in Benin were known as Ogisos. The succcesors were the Obas which began with Oba Eweka1. Some writers claim that the word Oba is a yoruba word which means King. Others insist that the word must have been derived from the Benin word O baa meaning "it is difficult hard or dificult or probably from an abbreviation of the original name of the first Ogiso Obagodo(Oba godo: Oba-King godo. high; thus High king). The long history of Edo people is reflected in their uniquely rich cultural heritage.
http://www.raceandhistory.com/historicalviews/edoculture.htm

The Binis have every right to their cultural assertion and historical beliefs.

The Binis had Ogisos before the Oba Eweka and the very first Ogiso was Obagodo, meaning that the usage of Oba in Bini kingdom long precedes the time of Oba Eweka, related to the Yoruba monarchy.

cc: NigerMan1

3 Likes

Re: Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language by Ilaje44(m): 6:53pm On Nov 08, 2015

Malu is not Hausa, but Yoruba for cow/cattle.

Igho, can't be Igboid since the Itsekiri, Ilaje and almost all eastern Yoruboid groups (Ondo state) call money "ogho". The "g" is silent in "ogho" unlike in "ego" where you hear it loud and clear.

Igho probably pronounced "e hoe" with silent g
Ego is pronounced "ay go"
Ogho is pronounced "oh hoe" with silent g

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language by NewNigeriaMind: 7:01pm On Nov 08, 2015
bigfrancis21:

You started out well and would have given you the thumbs up for it until you resorted to insults.

However, many Binis insist that the word 'oba' is a bini word. I don't understand all the fury hauled at me for mentioning something some Edos actually believe themselves. I am not Bini neither am I re-writing your history but there are some words which their origins are in contention.

The Binis had Ogisos before the Oba Eweka and the very first Ogiso was Obagodo, meaning that the usage of Oba in Bini kingdom long precedes the time of Oba Eweka.

You are not only a bigot but a coward.

Your initial post was you making an authoritative statement and you had to include your obsession with Lagos in it.

You could have stated in your initial post that there is another school of thought as to the origin of the word "Oba". But NO YOU DID NOT DO THAT grin, rather you came out gun blazing as if you are actually setting a record straight.

Of course some bini scholars have a different view on the Yoruba/Bini history. That does not give you the right to quote a counter claim as authoritative source on factual matters.

I think my intelligence and mental expectations of you are too high.

bye

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language by macof(m): 7:01pm On Nov 08, 2015
IlekeHD:

Noise. Show us historical evidence besides someone's blog post.

I can make a website and distort history too and you'd eat it up.

grin grin any mumu like bigfrancis21 will eat anything up as long as it's on the Internet

8 Likes

Re: Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language by rexbuton: 7:02pm On Nov 08, 2015
IGBOPRINCE:
it s a good thing you finally corrects my impression towards edo people. The last time I travelled to benin city, the guy from auchi and the other one from oredo or esan cannot understands themselves. So they both prefare to use pilgin language as a means of communication. they told me that most of edo peeps from the same local gvt or communality or bit far away from each other can't understand/communicates with themselves cos the languages re different from each other. They even told me that the people from oredo local govt speaks esan cos of their proximity to benin city.

Sorry if I misrepresent the facts here but humans lived by impressions most a times.

At bolded, part of anioma(few ikas and few ukwuani) that claimed their descent to benin but they did a great mistakes by abandoning their languages and adopting the igbo languages. Even as big as ikwerres/ogba is. They even abandoned their languages and adopted igbo speaking dialects. It still baffled me and majority of igbo peeps. Sometime I do tell them, that there was a time few binis came to igbo lands but they inter married and had influenced on them like the ikas,ukwuani,ogba and ikwerres. The facts is that igbos already settled there before the coming of binin peeps.

My take..sad

What tha fUkk??
Who was the guy that told you that benin people in nearby communities cannot understand themselves?? Either you or that guy is lying to us! Any edo or esan man that can speak his language must understand bini or esan even though he may not be able to speak the other language fluently- and it also depends on his language aptitude or understanding of his own dialect. And HOW CAN OREDO SPEAK ESAN Oredo is not a dialect, it is the main benin location proper, the city centre. The language spoken is still the edo language or igodomiogodo as we prefer to call it. I hope you've really been to benin or you're not just pulling my legs! Everything you say about benin is FALSE!

As for ikwerre, ogba, ahoada, oguta and other areas that claim descent from benin, since they say that's where they are from , who are we to dispute? However benin history has the records of their migrations (though not all of them), and you should look at their ceremonial rites and traditional attire and travel to traditional festivals in benin, if there is much similarity then they may know their origins afterall! The edo could not have moved in and forced everyone to start dressing like them and use similar words with them.

The ika and anioma stuff is a non issue, I've trashed it in one of my threads before now.. Kindly check my profile

4 Likes

Re: Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language by emmysoftyou: 7:04pm On Nov 08, 2015
erumena:

I'm also an Isoko guy from Ada-Irri, according to my Dad we're not linked to the Igbos. As the op said, we have words in Isoko/Urhobo that sounds similar with similar meaning zZz, I believe these are borrowed words.
look at the way you sounded 100% sure like you ve no linked to the igbos. What of igbide? Or asaba ese?

Asks your dad about them.
I hate talking too much.nairaland still dsame old stories.grin

2 Likes

Re: Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language by IlekeHD: 7:05pm On Nov 08, 2015
Awoofawo:

The kind war you go cause, even Seun go run commot Nairaland for you! grin

Walahi grin

1 Like

Re: Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language by NewNigeriaMind: 7:06pm On Nov 08, 2015
bigfrancis21:

The Binis had Ogisos before the Oba Eweka and the very first Ogiso was Obagodo, meaning that the usage of Oba in Bini kingdom long precedes the time of Oba Eweka, related to the Yoruba monarchy.

cc: NigerMan1

you didn't say the word was in contention in your post, rather you states it as a matter for fact................ don't be a coward pls.

5 Likes

Re: Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language by ceeceeuwa: 7:09pm On Nov 08, 2015
menabae:
Asaba-Ase is in Ndokwa East. They share a boundary with the Isokos, they speak Ukwuani and Isoko.
Re: Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language by NewNigeriaMind: 7:09pm On Nov 08, 2015
This ignorant mull moved from being sure "Oba" is a bini word to " the word Oba origin being an issue in contention".

If we did not call out the ignoramus he will continue to claim that as a fact.

seun and his manner of mods.

12 Likes

Re: Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language by emmysoftyou: 7:11pm On Nov 08, 2015
Appareil:
Sincerely, if I have any counsel for the Igbos avoid all tribal threads. The hatred is too much! I BEG!!!!!!
i jus want quote you..bro keep ur counsel to yourself. Igbos dont care and they will never care..
I dont feel it in the societies or communities. They charge us and we paid cos they know how strong an igbo is..
So where is their hatred affecting us?i guess only on nairaland lol.

Cos we still moving on non stop.

2 Likes

Re: Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language by Awoofawo(m): 7:12pm On Nov 08, 2015
MsZeezah:

It is called Èsúsú or Èésú in Yoruba Language. And it means monthly contributions
The different between Esusu and Ajo is that esusu is monthly contribution among a number of people where only one person will collect the agreed amount contributed and this rotated among all on monthly based, whereas, ajo is daily contribution contract between the collector and contributor

3 Likes

Re: Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language by IlekeHD: 7:15pm On Nov 08, 2015
NewNigeriaMind:
This ignorant mull moved from being sure "Oba" is a bini word to " the word Oba origin being an issue in contention".

If we did not call out the ignoramus he will continue to claim that as a fact.

seun and his manner of mods.
I had to call out Yoruba people for not correcting him.

When I first saw his ignorant post, I was shocked. I thought I was reading things o.

Chaiiii Odu'a punish ignorance.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language by NewNigeriaMind: 7:20pm On Nov 08, 2015
IlekeHD:

I had to call out Yoruba people for not correcting him.

When I first saw his ignorant post, I was shocked. I thought I was reading things o.

Chaiiii Odu'a punish ignorance.

Abi o sister, see the bigot backtracking like the coward they are.

He has moved to its a believe by some Bini people. Yet in his initial post you will think he wrote Yoruba and Bini history for them.

A worse disease than illiteracy: half educated illiterates masquerading as educated people.

13 Likes

Re: Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language by fr3do(m): 7:24pm On Nov 08, 2015
I don't like all this nonsense!
The Igbo race has nothing with the Urhobos or Isokos.

I'm unimpressed with my tribesmen who are saying otherwise.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language by macof(m): 7:26pm On Nov 08, 2015
janellemonae:

Even the NigerMan he has been calling and probably sending PMs isn't Bini but Esan. .

Bigotry has fried the guy's brain

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language by pazienza(m): 7:28pm On Nov 08, 2015
Bia, what is it with known Yoruba tribalists hounding Bigfrancis and blackmailing him with the MOD ish?

Bigfrancis is right, it is a known fact that Oba is of Edo origin and it's existence in Yoruba today is a testament to Bini influence on Yorubas.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (19) (Reply)

Ethiopian Women Beaten Before They Marry (Photos) / Who Knows Any Igbo Name That Starts With Letter P? / Yoruba Proverb Competition

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.