Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,650 members, 7,951,722 topics. Date: Tuesday, 17 September 2024 at 10:01 PM

Abuja’s 10-lane Road Project To Gulp N257bn[$1.7BN] - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Abuja’s 10-lane Road Project To Gulp N257bn[$1.7BN] (17245 Views)

Senate To Contractor: Stop Work On Otuoke Road Project / Ganduje In Caterpillar, Commissions A Road Project (Photos) / Amaechi Got N257bn From ECA In 2013 - Iweala (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Abuja’s 10-lane Road Project To Gulp N257bn[$1.7BN] by Nobody: 9:09am On May 18, 2009
tosh_acer:

apart from political and ethinically motivated reasons, no one has given any sensible reason why it is wrong to build this road apart from people who think it should be spent on food because we are a bunch of hungry people.
you're out of touch with the reality on ground. either that or you stand to gain something from the billion-dollar contract.
Re: Abuja’s 10-lane Road Project To Gulp N257bn[$1.7BN] by ikeyman00(m): 9:11am On May 18, 2009
^^^^ slowpoke stay away plz
Re: Abuja’s 10-lane Road Project To Gulp N257bn[$1.7BN] by toshacer: 9:13am On May 18, 2009
Yes, I stand to gain, just like millions who will use the road daily when completed. Swear when completed, you will not use it, but you will protest by driving thru the bush from the airport to Abuja.
Re: Abuja’s 10-lane Road Project To Gulp N257bn[$1.7BN] by mbulela: 9:14am On May 18, 2009
tosh, why should that road be built?
how does it better the lot of nigerians?
with the myriad of problems facing this administration, how does a 10 lane road costing over 1 billion dollars (not naira, not Zim dollars o!) on a 4 lane road that is good benefit the country?
the reason why does other roads are being mentioned is not because they are in the south, it is because they are in worse shape and the vehicular traffic on them is immense.
one more reason the bulk of commercial activities in this country entails travel on those roads.
most SME businesses entail journeys on those roads.
those are the bedrock of any nations's socio economic development.
Re: Abuja’s 10-lane Road Project To Gulp N257bn[$1.7BN] by toshacer: 9:16am On May 18, 2009
ikeyman00:

^^^^ slowpoke stay away plz

Foolish tribalist.
Re: Abuja’s 10-lane Road Project To Gulp N257bn[$1.7BN] by toshacer: 9:18am On May 18, 2009
mbulela:

tosh, why should that road be built?
how does it better the lot of nigerians?
with the myriad of problems facing this administration, how does a 10 lane road costing over 1 billion dollars (not naira, not Zim dollars o!) on a 4 lane road that is good benefit the country?
the reason why does other roads are being mentioned is not because they are in the south, it is because they are in worse shape and the vehicular traffic on them is immense.
one more reason the bulk of commercial activities in this country entails travel on those roads.
most SME businesses entail journeys on those roads.
those are the bedrock of any nations's socio economic development.

and do you have a proof that this money to be spent on building this road has been taken from budget meant for other areas of the economy, or are you just talking out of talking sake, just like most people here do?
Re: Abuja’s 10-lane Road Project To Gulp N257bn[$1.7BN] by desgiezd(m): 9:22am On May 18, 2009
I fail to see the purpose for this road construction at this point in time. The four lanes existing at the moment is seriously under-utilised. The road does not get busy as Lagos roads and by the time the expansion to 10 lanes is completed, I'm sure the road would be virtually empty at all times. I was in Abuja early April and a construction firm was fixing failed portions of the road and passers by hardly felt the effect of the repairs being carried out because there was no traffic build up at all.

This is clearly a misplaced priority. If the money must be spent on roads connecting Abuja, why not on Kano - Kaduna - Abuja road which is already bad?
Re: Abuja’s 10-lane Road Project To Gulp N257bn[$1.7BN] by ikeyman00(m): 9:25am On May 18, 2009
Foolish tribalist

i_laugh opps just haha grin grin

tribalistic and foolish slowpoke
Re: Abuja’s 10-lane Road Project To Gulp N257bn[$1.7BN] by ikeyman00(m): 9:30am On May 18, 2009
tosh_acer
and do you have a proof that this money to be spent on building this road has been taken from budget meant for other areas of the economy, or are you just talking out of talking sake, just like most people here do?

at this point in time poeple that reasons like this shouldnt be allowed in power, in relationship with a woman, school headmaster, boss etc

there is only one allowance they are entitle to,

gay relationship
Re: Abuja’s 10-lane Road Project To Gulp N257bn[$1.7BN] by mbulela: 9:35am On May 18, 2009
tosh, you seem to have a history around here.
i will not fall for your bait.
you seem to enjoy insulting people instead of exchanging ideas or expounding your opinions.
i refrain from such.
when people who are interested in exchanging ideas return on this thread, i will do likewise.
until then,good night.
Re: Abuja’s 10-lane Road Project To Gulp N257bn[$1.7BN] by ikeyman00(m): 9:37am On May 18, 2009
to those that drive on enugu-benin-ore-lagos route

how many dead bodies or burnt vehicles u come across due to bad roads, dual carriage turn into single lane creating chaos etc

maybe the most commerical high way in nigeria

and the morons in abuja are so stupid cuz their stupid family are yet to die on those route

when waton insist that some of yall got monkey brain cell in the head, u think thats a joke!! shaking my head and spit on my screen
Re: Abuja’s 10-lane Road Project To Gulp N257bn[$1.7BN] by solosimple(m): 9:43am On May 18, 2009
This is my say to the leaders of Nigeria. They need to improve the economy in almost every state in order to improve the standard of living for all. You can't spend all those money on ten lanes when abuja states' population is barely 1 million. Texas state has a population of 25 million, the highest number of lanes they have is about 6. They need to build Lagos, its the Newyork of Nigeria. We need to have about 10 solid states out of our 37 here there will be improvements. Build our own cars, make our products and sell, increase the tariff on all foreign goods so high so majority of people will buy our goods, create jobs by building more airports, roads, ports, 2 million strong military, welcome businesses by making it less expensive with incentives and friendly to do business, invest in energy, nepa 24/7 365 days, increase minimum wage to N80k, let our workforce be trained to meet the life of the 21st century: 80% nigerians and 20% other than nigeria, quality teachers, more government jobs for alot of things in every states to build Nigeria. With this we will attract tourist raising more money. Most importantly Nigerians need to be hard working, less pompous and improve their image around the world in all areas other than fraudsters some other countries think they are. With all this we will be competitive and look more like the giant of Africa with GDP over 1 trillion

to those that drive on enugu-benin-ore-lagos route

how many dead bodies or burnt vehicles u come across due to bad roads, dual carriage turn into single lane creating chaos etc

maybe the most commerical high way in nigeria

and the morons in abuja are so stupid cuz their stupid family are yet to die on those route

when waton insist that some of yall got monkey brain cell in the head, u think thats a joke!! shaking my head and spit on my screen
Re: Abuja’s 10-lane Road Project To Gulp N257bn[$1.7BN] by toshacer: 9:45am On May 18, 2009
desgiezd:

I fail to see the purpose for this road construction at this point in time. The four lanes existing at the moment is seriously under-utilised. The road does not get busy as Lagos roads and by the time the expansion to 10 lanes is completed, I'm sure the road would be virtually empty at all times. I was in Abuja early April and a construction firm was fixing failed portions of the road and passers by hardly felt the effect of the repairs being carried out because there was no traffic build up at all.

This is clearly a misplaced priority. If the money must be spent on roads connecting Abuja, why not on Kano - Kaduna - Abuja road which is already bad?  

I can see you have failed to tell the truth - do you live in Abuja? Do you know most people live working in abuja live outside, Kuje, Kwali, Lugbe, Gwagwalada, Abaji etc, and travel on this road early mornings and late evenings and traffic build up on this road is massive? This road is the only road that connects Abuja to the North, East and West, through Giri junction to Lokoja and to all other places? Being the only road, is it then too much to make it in a state that will not bring congestion? Do you find it hard to tell the truth at all times? Saying the road is under utilised is the worst form of lie i have heard anyone told lately.
Re: Abuja’s 10-lane Road Project To Gulp N257bn[$1.7BN] by toshacer: 9:46am On May 18, 2009
mbulela:

tosh, you seem to have a history around here.
i will not fall for your bait.
you seem to enjoy insulting people instead of exchanging ideas or expounding your opinions.
i refrain from such.
when people who are interested in exchanging ideas return on this thread, i will do likewise.
until then,good night.

Where have I insulted you? if you have nothing more to say, then, good night.
Re: Abuja’s 10-lane Road Project To Gulp N257bn[$1.7BN] by desgiezd(m): 9:51am On May 18, 2009
I maintain it still makes a lot of sense to repair either Kano-Kaduna-Abuja road or Lagos-Benin-Onitsha-Aba-Uyo-Calabar roads instead of spending the billions on that road t hat is under-utilised. By the way, for how long have these interstate roads been begging for attention?
Re: Abuja’s 10-lane Road Project To Gulp N257bn[$1.7BN] by sevule(m): 10:04am On May 18, 2009
This is UTTER RUBBISH!!!!!!!!! For heavens sake how can a sane leadership possibly spend 1.7billion dollars on a single roadWhat is the possible benefit to 160 million Nigerians, 90% of whom have never stepped foot in Abuja??Industries are folding up everyday due to our pathetic power situaition and an irresponsible government has the audacity to spend such a profligate sum on a SINGLE road.
Only goes to show that our present government is completely lacking in focus and has misplaced its priorities.
Re: Abuja’s 10-lane Road Project To Gulp N257bn[$1.7BN] by toshacer: 10:15am On May 18, 2009
majorly, the funding of this project will be sourced from the private sector, some people dont just think b4 talking , not at all and beside, there are more than one road in this project.
Re: Abuja’s 10-lane Road Project To Gulp N257bn[$1.7BN] by oloriooko(m): 10:38am On May 18, 2009
What kind of people are we in this country sef?
If this road project has been in the master plan all this while then why did they embark on putting some ridiculous bus stops that will eventually be destroyed now. Furthermore, all the trees planted along the road are all being cut down now exposing houses to this wicked Abuja rain-wind which has already started destroying houses.
Even if they eventually plant new ones, it will trake years to grow.
What is actually wrong with us? Are we so wicked and selfish like this?
This road project is being embarked on because all the top guns now experience terrible hold-ups on that same road!
Re: Abuja’s 10-lane Road Project To Gulp N257bn[$1.7BN] by toshacer: 10:47am On May 18, 2009
hmmmmm - what a way to think! lipsrsealed
Re: Abuja’s 10-lane Road Project To Gulp N257bn[$1.7BN] by KnowAll(m): 11:38am On May 18, 2009
What I sense with this road is an un-healthy rivalry between the FG and Lagos State Goverment.

1. Fashola commences the 10 Lane lagos to badary road last week, this week FG and FCT embarks in the 10 Lane Abuja airport road. Yarardua is aware fashola is embarking on a lot of laudable projects in lagos.

2. Lagos state to bulid 2 surface train lines red and blue lines. FCT and FG to build a train from Abuja Airport to the city centre. " You ask yourself wait a moment but you are already building a 10 road lane in the same corridor". Is the Train from abuja airport going to be ferrying cattles from the airport to the city centre, where is the population, anyway they might want to rent a crowd, lagos has them in surplus and will advently be glad to lend Abuja some of its multitudes.

3. The Yaraudua FG is aware of the growing popularity of Fashola and has now pited his tent against Fashola, if lagos embarks on one project we will match them by embarking on 10 projects. I thought the FG is meant to be the umpire. It looks like a case where the refree is celebrating a goal with a rival football team.

4. 2011 is around the corner Yaradua is aware of a lot Nigerians are clamouring for Fashola to throw his hat in the ring come 2011. Despite yorubas having already had their turn as per presidency, the Obama phenomena has change people's perception of who they want in ASO Rock, as long as you can deliver Nigerians will vote for you en-masse. Fashola being a Governor for just over 2 years has delivered and is still continueing to deliver just imagine what that kind of person would do at the centre, he will not only be an asset to Nigeria but also an asset to Africa.

5. The Northerners do not know what tommorrow holds, their argument will be lets develop Abuja while we are still one country so it will be a net gain to the north if there is a split tommorrow.
Re: Abuja’s 10-lane Road Project To Gulp N257bn[$1.7BN] by toshacer: 12:52pm On May 18, 2009
Mr KnowAll

The light railway system and the 10 lane road is in the Abuja masterplan, Abuja is only a quarter developed, meaning, Abuja is being developed bit by bit. There is no 10 lane road in any Lagos master plan, neither is there any railway line in any Lagos Masterplan, now who is copying who?

Not that I am saying anyone is copying anyone, but your analogy is not so enticing or correct, try something else.
Re: Abuja’s 10-lane Road Project To Gulp N257bn[$1.7BN] by phantom(m): 1:40pm On May 18, 2009
@tosher, Are you a nigerian?Its either you're not,mentally deranged,a clown,just plain stupid or all four together, But i'll wager on the fifth option.
Re: Abuja’s 10-lane Road Project To Gulp N257bn[$1.7BN] by KnowAll(m): 2:33pm On May 18, 2009
What Yaradua fails to know is that the whole country is his constituent and not Abuja alone. I am not against the building of the 10 lane road from no-where to no-where. I think it is duty of the minister of the FCT to annouce the commencement of such project and it should have been included in the 2009 budget so it will not be a suprise to anybody. For the preisdent to launch a project with all the fan fare telling the whole world that this project will not only move the country closer to acheiving its 7 point agenda but further enhances the country is ability in becoming one of the G20 countries in the world. What a lotta none sense. Yaradua should concentrate on his job and leave launching to what can be only described as a local road (albeit it is 10 lane road and will cost $1.7 billion) in Abuja to the Hon Minister of the FCT.
Re: Abuja’s 10-lane Road Project To Gulp N257bn[$1.7BN] by Moves: 4:13pm On May 18, 2009
KnowAll:

What I sense with this road is an un-healthy rivalry between the FG and Lagos State Goverment.

1. Fashola commences the 10 Lane lagos to badary road last week, this week FG and FCT embarks in the 10 Lane Abuja airport road. Yarardua is aware fashola is embarking on a lot of laudable projects in lagos.

I think you are on point= 10 Lane is costing Lagos N10 billion whilst abuja 10 lanes= $1.7 Billion and some one here is wondering what the furore is about, Lets not even compare the economic activities that is going to be enabled by the construction of lagos badagry --and further connecting with the neighbouring benin Republic
Re: Abuja’s 10-lane Road Project To Gulp N257bn[$1.7BN] by Kobojunkie: 4:20pm On May 18, 2009
10 Billion Naira for Lagos Badagry 10 lane project compared to approximately 250 billion Naira for the Abuja contract? Something is definitely not right here.
Re: Abuja’s 10-lane Road Project To Gulp N257bn[$1.7BN] by toshacer: 6:15pm On May 18, 2009
phantom:

@tosher, Are you a nigerian?Its either you're not,mentally deranged,a clown,just plain stupid or all four together, But i'll wager on the fifth option.

Your father is all you have described herein.
Re: Abuja’s 10-lane Road Project To Gulp N257bn[$1.7BN] by toshacer: 6:18pm On May 18, 2009
Kobojunkie:

10 Billion Naira for Lagos Badagry 10 lane project compared to approximately 250 billion Naira for the Abuja contract? Something is definitely not right here.

I have always wondered how people think, have you wondered what the length in kilometers is for both roads before just using the number of lanes to compare the cost?
Re: Abuja’s 10-lane Road Project To Gulp N257bn[$1.7BN] by toshacer: 6:20pm On May 18, 2009
Moves:

I think you are on point= 10 Lane is costing Lagos N10 billion whilst abuja 10 lanes= $1.7 Billion and some one here is wondering what the furore is about, Lets not even compare the economic activities that is going to be enabled by the construction of lagos badagry --and further connecting with the neighbouring benin Republic

You think upside down - 10 lanes yes, but which is longer in length, have you thought about this before making comparisons?
Re: Abuja’s 10-lane Road Project To Gulp N257bn[$1.7BN] by ikeyman00(m): 6:29pm On May 18, 2009
i_laugh

on what credibility are u measurin your baseless ideas!

poeple like u might just be the replicate advisor in the asshole rocks

u might as well argue on the north with their shaira thing still the same shaira gone blind when VAT from acohols springs up

can some people be real, cuz time seemed to be running out,

abuja,yaradua,fct minsiter, the north,sultan,emirs; ur children children hmmm it not lookin good

ok
Re: Abuja’s 10-lane Road Project To Gulp N257bn[$1.7BN] by ikeyman00(m): 7:57pm On May 18, 2009
MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORE BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOODIESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!

how many more

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Monday, May 18, 2009 punch 18-05-09

18 die in another accident in Edo benin-auci road sad

By Fidelis Soriwei, Benin

The carnage in the nation's roads continued again on Sunday as another accident resulted in the deaths of 18 passengers on Benin-Ore Road.

The accident occurred a few days after the death of over 50 people in an auto accident involving a luxury bus and a tanker at the Benin-Auchi Road.

Our correspondent gathered that an 18-seater Toyota Hiace vehicle in which the deceased passengers were travelling plunged into the Ovia River just after the Okada junction.

According to an eyewitness account, efforts made by motorists and others to rescue the trapped passengers were unsuccessful as they lacked the capacity to drag the submerged bus out of the river.

The Good Samaritans were said to have watched helplessly as the passengers were drowned inside the bus.

The source added that nobody, including the driver, was able to escape from the vehicle at the time of filing this report.

The Benin Zonal Commander of the Federal Road Safety Commission, Mr. Zakari Nda, confirmed the accident, saying that his men were already on a rescue mission.

He did not, however, confirm the casualty figure of the accident, saying he had not been briefed by his commander on ground.

Investigation revealed that the driver of the ill-fated vehicle was heading for Benin from the Ore when it plunged into the river.

The accident is coming shortly after about 66 people died in two separate auto accidents on the Benin-Auchi Road last week.

While 16 market women lost their lives in the first accident which occurred on the Benin-Auchi Road on their way to Onitsha, over 50 people were killed in the second accident involving a tanker and a luxury bus loaded with passengers from Sokoto to Onitsha on Friday.

Nda, who confirmed both accidents, said that while it was difficult to give the exact number of those killed in the latter accident, 43 burnt corpses were given mass burial in Benin on Friday evening.

Meanwhile, about 10 people were feared killed in South in Etsako West Local Government Area of Edo State over a lingering chieftaincy dispute in the community.

Our correspondent gathered that several other people were injured in the resumed hostilities between two cousins - Messrs Kelvin Danesi and Obebe Umoru - over Aidonogie of South Ibie chieftaincy tussle.

According to an eyewitness account, several houses and properties worth millions of naira were destroyed during the clash between the supporters of the two principal actors in the crisis.

It was learnt that crisis had been on for over 10 years and had once been put under control through the intervention of eminent groups like the Ibie Peace Forum based in Lagos in 2007.

The source said the resumed violence, which commenced in the evening of Saturday, continued Sunday and had not abated at the time of filing the report.

Our correspondent could not also ascertain what actually led to the recent crisis, but a source disclosed that the group loyal to Umoru was angry about the plans being made to mark the 10th year anniversary of Danesi, who is recognised by the state government.

Speaking in a telephone interview with our correspondent on Sunday, the Assistant Commissioner of Police in charge of Operations in the Edo State Police Command, Mr. Clement Adoda, said that the situation had been brought under control.

He said that the command had drafted riot policemen and the men of the Police Area Command in Auchi to the community
Re: Abuja’s 10-lane Road Project To Gulp N257bn[$1.7BN] by phantom(m): 8:55pm On May 18, 2009
@tosher, When next you complain about naija,just take a look in the mirror, The problem stares right back.
Re: Abuja’s 10-lane Road Project To Gulp N257bn[$1.7BN] by Oxone(m): 2:43am On May 19, 2009
another white elephant project

*hiss*

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Winners Chapel Workers Fight Ogun State Tax Men / Osinbajo In Abidjan For Swearing-In Of Adesina, As AFDB President (Photos) / Buhari Has No Solution To Economic Crisis - APC Chieftain

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.