Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,177,115 members, 7,899,987 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 July 2024 at 12:43 AM

1000 Ijaws Silenced by the Military- I Thought The VP is Ijaw? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 1000 Ijaws Silenced by the Military- I Thought The VP is Ijaw? (776 Views)

Has Metuh Finally Been Silenced By Buhari's Administration? / How I Silenced Buhari Supporters Today. / Choice Of Amaechi As VP Is None Of Your Business - APC Replies PDP (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

1000 Ijaws Silenced by the Military- I Thought The VP is Ijaw? by Afaukwu: 4:09pm On May 18, 2009
Nigeria fighting 'killed 1,000'
map

The military in Nigeria has been accused of killing 1,000 civilians during an upsurge in operations against militants in the oil-rich Niger Delta.

"They, bombard entire communities from the air, sea and land," said the Ijaw National Congress which represents the region's largest ethnic group.

A Nigerian military spokesman dismissed the allegations as unfounded.

The army has freed 17 hostages, mostly foreigners, held by militants fighting for a greater share of oil revenues.

But the military action has "resulted in over a thousand deaths, because we dared to ask for our rights," said Victor Burubo, spokesman for the Ijaw National Congress.

He called on the United Nations to intervene in a BBC interview.

The Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta (MEND) declared "all-out war" on the Nigerian government after an attack on one of its camps deep in the swamp lands on Friday.

'Rescue operation'

A second hostage being held by Mend militants was killed in fighting with government forces.

In the upsurge of violence - the worst in months - the military have used naval gunboats and there are claims of helicopter gunship attacks, the BBC's Caroline Duffield reports from Nigeria.

The army says the offensive is a rescue operation to save the crews of two ships hijacked by gunmen last Thursday, and that nine Filipinos, four Ukrainians and four Nigerians have been freed so far.

A Mend statement said: "We regret to announce that two hostages have been killed by the indiscriminate shelling."

Nigerian militants

'Blood oil' dripping from Nigeria
Elusive peace in Nigeria's oil Delta

It said their bodies would be given to the Red Cross, but gave no details of nationality.

The group added that Briton Matthew Maguire, who was taken hostage separately last year, was now being moved to a new location.

Mend - the most visible of numerous armed gangs operating in the Delta - says it is fighting for a fairer share of Nigeria's oil wealth for local people.

However they are involved in extortion and massive oil theft as well as kidnapping, our correspondent says.

They had ordered oil companies to pull out their staff by Saturday. The group also says it blew up two major gas pipelines over the weekend.

Analysts expected renewed violence between militants and the military after Mend rejected an amnesty offered by the government.

The government has still not officially said the offer is off the table.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/8054585.stm
Re: 1000 Ijaws Silenced by the Military- I Thought The VP is Ijaw? by Nobody: 2:43am On May 19, 2009
ONE NAIJARIAAAA!!!!!!!

The last time I checked Jonathan is the Vice President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.
Re: 1000 Ijaws Silenced by the Military- I Thought The VP is Ijaw? by sosisi(f): 2:46am On May 19, 2009
I say one Nigeria !!
Where is Ibime grin
His brothers have started again
Re: 1000 Ijaws Silenced by the Military- I Thought The VP is Ijaw? by Thadude(m): 3:54am On May 19, 2009
When northerns where killing and burning properties Yaradua didnt send the police talk less the military, but he sent jet fighters to kill innocent women and kids in ijaw, the so called strongest army in Africa couldnt face the scanty militants in the south. This is an indictment on the Nigerian military they should stop assuming themselves as no.1 in Africa.

I am disgusted that the president didnt inform his vice (Goodluck) before ordering the attack, they caught the VP blind. This would have been a good an opportunity for the VP to resign, he is a blind puppet @ the corridors of power, I dont care if all the militants are caught and beheaded, but no innocent persons(women and children) should be made to pay the prize, the military could have gone in and fought like trained soldiers not firing blind shots from the sky, The northerns have been playing pocker with Nigeria since the british left and their time is fast runing out. Nigeria military should go and learn how to fight a swampy gorilla war if they are to win this battle.
Re: 1000 Ijaws Silenced by the Military- I Thought The VP is Ijaw? by Sammy107d(m): 6:49am On May 19, 2009
there's absolutely no truth in that story.
Re: 1000 Ijaws Silenced by the Military- I Thought The VP is Ijaw? by honeric01(m): 9:04am On May 19, 2009
uhm, pity

i sorry for nigeria
Re: 1000 Ijaws Silenced by the Military- I Thought The VP is Ijaw? by SapeleGuy: 8:48pm On May 19, 2009
Tha_dude - Resign is exactly what they (Arewa) want Goodluck to do. Their biggest fear is someone from the South South being the President.
The whole world knows that the VP will step into the hotseat sooner rather than later. Goodluck Must Not Resign.
Re: 1000 Ijaws Silenced by the Military- I Thought The VP is Ijaw? by Thadude(m): 9:11pm On May 19, 2009
@Sapeleguy.

It not about what people want him to do, its about standing for what is right, Yaradua wont have authorized jet fighters to the North if same situation had unfolded there. Yaradua personally declared war on innocent women and children. Why didnt the military announce and ask people to evacuate the area before the bombardment? what will happen to those whose houses were destroyed??, will they be compensated in that dead end country??
Yaradua shouldnt be allowed to take a unilateral decision with out consulting the NA before going to war it is dead wrong??, One man can not be made that powerful in a democratic era. Assuming he is not sane due to illness what happens to our men and women in uniform.
As far as the North is concern Goodluck is not existing. If yaradua dies tomorrow, he will be arm twisted to give in. He shouldnt even have accepted the post of a VP in the first place. Why wont he stand of for what is right today and be a hero of his people. If steping down forces the govt to stop using jet fighters in the region, that will be a win win for him. The military should go in on land and sea and wipe out mend if they have the liver.

I wonder how Goodluck goes to bed knowing his region is displaced and innocent women and children are dieing by shells of bombs from jet fighters. How does he swallow his meals with out aching??
Re: 1000 Ijaws Silenced by the Military- I Thought The VP is Ijaw? by Nobody: 9:47pm On May 19, 2009
if power rotates to the south south, I think the country deserves more serious candidates than Jonathan Goodluck
Re: 1000 Ijaws Silenced by the Military- I Thought The VP is Ijaw? by SapeleGuy: 9:48pm On May 19, 2009
Tha_Dude - I am also incensed by what has happened. In our anger there is a need to lash out. In fairness to the VP, Yar' Adua did this while Goodluck was out of the country leading a trade delegation to Scandinavia.

This genocide was planned but their plan will not work.  We will overcome in the end.
Re: 1000 Ijaws Silenced by the Military- I Thought The VP is Ijaw? by Nobody: 10:30pm On May 19, 2009
if he was arround what will he do

order the army to ignore the President?

you guys have no clue how the office of the VP works

(1) (Reply)

2011 Presidential Elections :ribadu, Fashola Tipped As Running Mate / Angolan Company Wins Iraq Oil Auction-which Way NNPC ? / A Sick Country And Its Sick President (2)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.