Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,197,946 members, 7,966,500 topics. Date: Friday, 04 October 2024 at 03:53 PM

Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) - Culture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) (71273 Views)

Are Ukwuani People Of Delta State Igbos? / Ukwuani People Are Not Igbos. / The Official Ukwuani Thread: Ukwuani Bu Ani Eze (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by Nobody: 2:17pm On Nov 17, 2011
ogiye:

wink smiley my brother that's where you all are failing. Americans manipulates English words and their subsequent meanings but that does not make them English. these thing happen naturally you see. people calve out their own IDs. maybe we are Igbos or maybe Edos or maybe Ijaws who knows. my greatgrandfather told me where they migrated from, guess the language they use there now, Ologwu and the most surprising of it all, he told us they were four families that moved and now do you know that the four families which has become big towns now do not speak quite the same? You see. some Ukwani mixes their language with Edo others with Urhobo others speaks exactly like the Annamaria people. so will it not be better if we have our own ID? for example Anioma for those that speaks like the Igbos on this other side of the Niger. it does not make use more or less of who we are but it is better for quick identification. to me all these are part of progress. (I'm speaking my mind to you cos you are the only one i found very reasonable here) And before I go please tell them and you that the topic is not DO UKWANI PEOPLE SPEAK IGBO BUT ARE UKWUAN PEOPLE IGBOS?

It's not a matter of me being reasonable, every one that has contributed so far is. We are not fighting, but we are trying to understand each other convincingly.

But do you now agree that Ukwuani people speak Igbo? Because I did have some ukwuani neighbours from obiaruku in the past and I understood about 80% of their conversation. I also had Urhobo neighbours too that I cannot understand a sentence from their speech.

You have not really shown why you are not Igbo(I know there's a general consensus among ukwuani people to disclaim Igbo, but like you, they have also failed to prove why they're not.)

I personally have no problems with you disclaiming Igbo, but at least you and I should know the real truth.
Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by wesley80(m): 11:55am On Nov 18, 2011
abagoro:

My brother you seem to be missing a point.The Igbos in the hinterland never had contacts with the Europeans.How come the Aboh king identified himself as Igbo to them?It was the King of Aboh that actually let out the names of Oru and Igbo to Europeans.You know we claim Nworu and not Nwigbo.

Oru and Igbo are two parts of the same people.The Oru are the riverine while the Igbo are upland.You should ask your father more about it.You know Aboh people are "Ndi Osimili".
abagoro:

My brother you seem to be missing a point.The Igbos in the hinterland never had contacts with the Europeans.How come the Aboh king identified himself as Igbo to them?It was the King of Aboh that actually let out the names of Oru and Igbo to Europeans.You know we claim Nworu and not Nwigbo.

Oru and Igbo are two parts of the same people.The Oru are the riverine while the Igbo are upland.You should ask your father more about it.You know Aboh people are "Ndi Osimili".

An Aboh king identified himself as Igbo? You've got to be kidding! My friend read up what you can find about Aboh kingdom and you'lld realize how insulting it is to say an Aboh king identified himself as Igbo. I'll let that aspect rest for now.

I personally have no problem identifying myself as Igbo but arguments like this that fail to appreciate the uniqueness of an entire people ticks me off. The complexity of the world today and increased globalization makes the identification of smaller groups along with larger ones desirable for the sake of simplicity, so we deliberately and consciously chose to accept all that bit us at night to be mosquitoes, but when push comes to shove we can conveniently sort out the mosquito bites from ant bites! Ukwuani's arent necessarily Igbo's, deal with it. I am an Aboh man and we carry a proud and rich history that predates that of Igbos and while we accept the times we live in, we know who we are and where we've come from and we'll not be stampeded into being what we are not. Records show that most Ukwuani clans were formed also from same migratory wave that birthed the kingdom so what are your points? Language? Culture? Get a life.
Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by Chyz2: 6:31pm On Nov 18, 2011
wesley80:

An Aboh king identified himself as Igbo? You've got to be kidding! My friend read up what you can find about Aboh kingdom and you'lld realize how insulting it is to say an Aboh king identified himself as Igbo. I'll let that aspect rest for now.

I personally have no problem identifying myself as Igbo but arguments like this that fail to appreciate the uniqueness of an entire people ticks me off. The complexity of the world today and increased globalization makes the identification of smaller groups along with larger ones desirable for the sake of simplicity, so we deliberately and consciously chose to accept all that bit us at night to be mosquitoes, but when push comes to shove we can conveniently sort out the mosquito bites from ant bites! Ukwuani's arent necessarily Igbo's, deal with it. I am an Aboh man and we carry a proud and rich history that predates that of Igbos and while we accept the times we live in, we know who we are and where we've come from and we'll not be stampeded into being what we are not. Records show that most Ukwuani clans were formed also from same migratory wave that birthed the kingdom so what are your points? Language? Culture? Get a life.

What exactly do you mean by the bolded?

Also, u say Aboh history predates that of Igbos is like say a catfish pedates a fish. Makes sense boy. What artifact even proves that aboh "predates the history" of the Igbos or Igbo Ukwu? There is phisical evidence of history dating back to the 9th century.The is even a king burried on a throne with him covered in beens.jewelry, and glass ornaments with his servants along his side. How bout aboh? Can it talk of anything in that sense? Arent you the same person that said Aboh Mbaise was founded by the Aboh kingdom in delta state? lol. . .Dude, just close your mouth until you decide completely what you want to be.Nonsense!

1 Like

Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by wesley80(m): 7:24pm On Nov 18, 2011
^^^ lol . I'll post a reply in a jiffy, but I think u're the one with identity issues, Seriously.
Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by Chyz2: 7:28pm On Nov 18, 2011
wesley80:

^^^ lol . I'll post a reply in a jiffy, but I think u're the one with identity issues, Seriously.

Please do. You are even the one who said he use to dany being Igbo until. . .

There is no identity issue with chyz sorry. I'm Igbo and accept it. Maybe you believe that nonsense that we migrated from benin. Onye nwuru anwu!
Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by wesley80(m): 7:30pm On Nov 18, 2011
^^^ lol. I'll post my reply in a jiffy, but I think u're the one with identity issues. Seriously, u claim to be Ukwuani but never hesitate to deny the essence of what u ought to be. Brb
Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by wesley80(m): 7:39pm On Nov 18, 2011
^^^ lol. I'll post my reply in a jiffy, but seriously i think u're the one with identity issues. U brandish your Ukwuani identity but never hesitate to deny the very essence of what u ought to be. Brb
Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by Chyz2: 8:39pm On Nov 18, 2011
wesley80:

^^^ lol. I'll post my reply in a jiffy, but I think u're the one with identity issues. Seriously, u claim to be Ukwuani but never hesitate to deny the essence of what u ought to be. Brb

What should I "ought to be"? I never denied what I am. Should I claim Benin like the rest of you insecure ukwuanis to qualify as one? You are fooling yourself if you believe any of that cooked up "we are from benin" nonsense.
Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by Ngodigha1(m): 10:03pm On Nov 18, 2011
wesley80:

Wesley, thanks for the bolded part.
The Lander brothers wrote about the Igbo people of Aboh who assisted them during their discoveries of the mouth of Niger River. Am sure Abagworo has read about this documents before his write up which you replied. An Aboh king being Igbo does not stop the king from being Aboh.
Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by wesley80(m): 12:13am On Nov 19, 2011
Chyz*:

The is even a king burried on a throne with him covered in beens.jewelry, and glass ornaments with his servants along his side. How bout aboh? Can it talk of anything in that sense?

Yeah thanks. That's evidence that a different people existed in the land you now call yours before you arrived. You never had kings did you? Naive mofo!

What exactly do you mean by the bolded?
While cultural affinity makes it convenient and acceptable to a large extent to classify Ukwuani's as Igbo's, they are not necessarily Igbos. Comprehende?

Arent you the same person that said
Aboh Mbaise was founded by the Aboh
kingdom in delta state?
Yeah that was me and I stand corrected. Prove me wrong! Dude, you sound so ignorant i dont know where to start. It's unfortunate you know so little about a people you claim as yours and I'll tell you what I told you when we had the Mbaise argument; do a research on the Aboh kingdom and come back and challenge me.
Chyz*:

Please do. You are even the one who said he use to dany being Igbo until. . .

There is no identity issue with chyz sorry. I'm Igbo and accept it. Maybe you believe that nonsense that we migrated from benin. Onye nwuru anwu!

Yes o, as someone that knew his roots and was proud of them I took delight in denying my igboness until i grew up (at least in my eyes) i realized that nwene bu ike and strife and division would get us nowhere. It didnt matter how much i denied, my igboness was obvious and it wasnt worth fighting as long as there was mutual respect and recognition of who we are. The superiority complex displayed by people like you and the level of your ignorance would inevitably reveal the truth.
As i consider you to be 'nwenem' i'll ignore your last sentence but i have to say 'Ozoemena', or as we say where i'm from; Uberegede!
Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by asha80(m): 12:30am On Nov 19, 2011
wesley80:

Yeah thanks. That's evidence that a different people existed in the land you now call yours before you arrived. You never had kings did you? Naive mofo!
While cultural affinity makes it convenient and acceptable to a large extent to classify Ukwuani's as Igbo's, they are not necessarily Igbos. Comprehende?

Yeah that was me and I stand corrected. Prove me wrong! Dude, you sound so ignorant i dont know where to start. It's unfortunate you know so little about a people you claim as yours and I'll tell you what I told you when we had the Mbaise argument; do a research on the Aboh kingdom and come back and challenge me.

Yes o, as someone that knew his roots and was proud of them I took delight in denying my igboness until i grew up (at least in my eyes) i realized that nwene bu ike and strife and division would get us nowhere. It didnt matter how much i denied, my igboness was obvious and it wasnt worth fighting as long as there was mutual respect and recognition of who we are. The superiority complex displayed by people like you and the level of your ignorance would inevitably reveal the truth.
As i consider you to be 'nwenem' i'll ignore your last sentence but i have to say 'Ozoemena', or as we say where i'm from; Uberegede!

can you reference an article to the bolded?that people from aboh mbaise are from aboh kingdom in delta state?
Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by wesley80(m): 12:32am On Nov 19, 2011
Ngodigha1:

Wesley, thanks for the bolded part.
The Lander brothers wrote about the Igbo people of Aboh who assisted them during their discoveries of the mouth of Niger River. Am sure Abagworo has read about this documents before his write up which you replied. An Aboh king being Igbo does not stop the king from being Aboh.

Thank you for thanking me. And do you also know that the Lander brothers were seized by the Obi and were only SOLD to the Attah of Igala with whom the Aboh people shared a maritime border (the rest were captured territories ) along the Niger after endless appeals from the Brits and their seized anchorage is still in Aboh to this very day? My point was an Aboh king could never have identified himself as Igbo, an average Aboh man still finds it difficult describing himself as Ukwuani so how could a king have called himself Igbo? Distorted fact.
Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by wesley80(m): 12:34am On Nov 19, 2011
asha 80:

can you reference an article to the bolded?that people from aboh mbaise are from aboh kingdom in delta state?

No I cant.
Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by asha80(m): 12:38am On Nov 19, 2011
wesley80:

No I cant.

why not?

you cannot make that claim just like that.i have seen the thread you were arguing with chyz before about this and the only thing you kept saying there was why didn,t they just answer mbaise instead of aboh mbaise.that is no fact on its own and it just highly watery.
Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by wesley80(m): 12:43am On Nov 19, 2011
So why didnt they just answer Mbaise? Why Aboh Mbaise? Ever heard of Aboh-Orogun in delta state?Another town founded by Abohs? Fact may be watery, Yeah but it is fact nontheless!
Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by asha80(m): 12:59am On Nov 19, 2011
wesley80:

So why didnt they just answer Mbaise? Why Aboh Mbaise? Ever heard of Aboh-Orogun in delta state?Another town founded by Abohs? Fact may be watery, Yeah but it is fact nontheless!

very funny and i may add ignorant answer.
i hope you know that aboh mbaise was created in the 90s from a big mbaise lga?from this former mbaise lga came aboh mbaise,ahiazu mbaise and ezinihitte mbaise.if you doubt it google is your friend.

so if aboh migrators came and formed aboh mbaise(created in the 90s) then where did ahiazu and ezinihitte people migrate from? ahiazu kingdom and ezinihitte kingdom?i hope you know people of these 3 lgas speak the same mbaise language(very little variations).so why didn't all answer aboh mbaise?why did some answer ahiazu and some ezinihitte?

it is like saying Onicha people in ebonyi state or Onicha nwe nkwo community in ezinihitte mbaise migrated from Onicha anambra state.

please give a link that aboh mbaise people migrated from aboh kingdom and not this wishy washy story you are giving here
Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by wesley80(m): 1:22am On Nov 19, 2011
^^ Nice try, but it wont fly! U assume I picked up an atlas and guessed any town with the Aboh prefix originated from Aboh right? WRONG! Even before I knew of an Aboh Mbaise I already knew there were Aboh migrants somewhere in Imo state just as I knew Aboh people had founded an Orogun town (a fact Orogun people readily accept) unfortunately the once revered ancient Aboh kingdom has nearly faded into oblivion and it has become somewhat condescending to have an Igbo town agree it has its roots somewhere in Delta State, understandable but please I'd love to know the origin of that name. Deny all u want but history only recognizes one once powerful kingdom called Aboh that only had borders with the old Benin Kingdom her ancestral home, all others were conquered lands. More to come.
Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by asha80(m): 1:34am On Nov 19, 2011
wesley80:

^^ Nice try, but it wont fly! U assume I picked up an atlas and guessed any town with the Aboh prefix originated from Aboh right? WRONG! Even before I knew of an Aboh Mbaise I already knew there were Aboh migrants somewhere in Imo state just as I knew Aboh people had founded an Orogun town (a fact Orogun people readily accept) unfortunately the once revered ancient Aboh kingdom has nearly faded into oblivion and it has become somewhat condescending to have an Igbo town agree it has its roots somewhere in Delta State, understandable but please I'd love to know the origin of that name. Deny all u want but history only recognizes one once powerful kingdom called Aboh that only had borders with the old Benin Kingdom her ancestral home, all others were conquered lands. More to come.

look the onus is on you to provide the proof or link that aboh mbaise was formed by aboh migrants simple.you made that comment first so back it up.
Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by wesley80(m): 1:52am On Nov 19, 2011
I dont have to back up nada! The name speaks for itself. As a matter of fact the onus is on the deniers to prove how they acquired their name. Coincidence? Oh pls spare me!
Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by asha80(m): 2:03am On Nov 19, 2011
wesley80:

I dont have to back up nada! The name speaks for itself. As a matter of fact the onus is on the deniers to prove how they acquired their name. Coincidence? Oh pls spare me!

off course you do not have proof.pulling facts from the air like any normal person would grin

cry cheesy grin

chai see how you are trying to twist the argurement to your favour.

you said

More to come.

so where is the more now undecided

deniers?how can one deny what is non existent?

haha maybe one day one mad man will come to nairaland type that poeple from nguru mbaise also migrated from nguru in yobe and ask the deniers to show proof. grin

or maybe people from benin will start benin republic was founded from people that migrated from benin kingdom grin
Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by ChinenyeN(m): 2:50am On Nov 19, 2011
See this "Aboh Kingdom" nonsense. Wesley obviously does not know what he's talking about.
Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by wesley80(m): 8:31am On Nov 19, 2011
^^^ And you think you do? Just because a truth is inconvenient to you guys does not make it false. Now read on;
In todays Aboh there's a street called 'Ogbe Ukwu', walking through it you'd think you were walking through a street in the heart of Onitsha! Not in terms of architecture but the language spoken! The people that live here speak pure IGBO!, they have or used to have a special diety (ikenga) they worshipped in the days past and still do but had to recently suspend certain aspects of such worship due to some conflict which i dont want to go into. Now I'm talking about just one street in an entire Community. To put this in perspective, the community comprises of five quarters (made up of the five sons of the founder of the community) but pure Igbo culture exists and persists in one of those quarters, why? Just ponder on it.
Safe to assume most of you are not kids but let me say here that anyone from Osemele, Onitsha, Idemili and Oguta - yes Oguta and a few other places in todays Igboland that knows nothing about Aboh and their ties to the ancient kingdom knows NOTHING about their history. How many of you know that Zik was an Aboh Olinzele(chief) and at his demise the then Obi of Onitsha was fined for proceeding with the burial of an Aboh title holder without consulting the Aboh people? Fable? Guess again!
How many of you know that one of the greatest Igbo musicians - Ali Chukwuma (Any adult in here?) was an Aboh man and his tomb is in Aboh today? The more you know the better it gets! More to come.
Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by Nobody: 8:43am On Nov 19, 2011
^
Keep it coming, son. grin. You cracked me up in my seat with some of your comments. Thanks

But do you realize that the Benin empire was a spreading regional power at a point in the past and left many of their footprints beyond biniland? Put that into consideration in your arguments.
Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by asha80(m): 8:54am On Nov 19, 2011
wesley80:

^^^ And you think you do? Just because a truth is inconvenient to you guys does not make it false. Now read on;
In todays Aboh there's a street called 'Ogbe Ukwu', walking through it you'd think you were walking through a street in the heart of Onitsha! Not in terms of architecture but the language spoken! The people that live here speak pure IGBO!, they have or used to have a special diety (ikenga) they worshipped in the days past and still do but had to recently suspend certain aspects of such worship due to some conflict which i dont want to go into. Now I'm talking about just one street in an entire Community. To put this in perspective, the community comprises of five quarters (made up of the five sons of the founder of the community) but pure Igbo culture exists and persists in one of those quarters, why? Just ponder on it.
Safe to assume most of you are not kids but let me say here that anyone from Osemele, Onitsha, Idemili and Oguta - yes Oguta and a few other places in todays Igboland that knows nothing about Aboh and their ties to the ancient kingdom knows NOTHING about their history. How many of you know that Zik was an Aboh Olinzele(chief) and at his demise the then Obi of Onitsha was fined for proceeding with the burial of an Aboh title holder without consulting the Aboh people? Fable? Guess again!
How many of you know that one of the greatest Igbo musicians - Ali Chukwuma (Any adult in here?) was an Aboh man and his tomb is in Aboh today? The more you know the better it gets! More to come.

are you trying to link aboh mbaise to aboh kingdom here or are you giving us an expose on aboh kingdom 

give us a link that aboh mbaise was formed by aboh migrators and not all this stories you are writing here.

is anybody doubting the existence igbo language been spoken in aboh,the existence of ali chukwuma as a musician?

is this about zik?

the bolded towns are withing a geographical area.do you know the actual place aboh mbaise is located?

you are saying that if you are in aboh you would think you are onitsha because of the language spoken.do you know that mbaise language is very very different from the igbo lanuguage been spoken in onitsha? do you know that you would probably not understand 40% of what a typical aboh mbaise person is speaking?

do you think all igbos east of the niger speak the same way?do you know some igbo languages are mutually unintelligible?

1 Like

Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by Abagworo(m): 9:41am On Nov 19, 2011
@wesley80, I already told you that a fraction of Oguta were of Aboh origin.Osomari too.What I keep wondering is how someone will group Oguta,Afikpo,Ezza,Abiriba,Ngwa,Oratta(Owerri),Izzi etc as one language while Ukwuani is a different language.That to me is a linguistic fallacy. Oguta speaks more closely to Ukwuani and extremely different from Ngwa.

If we must group Ukwuani as a new Language,then each of those groups are equal to a language.

NB. I'm not arguing about your choice of ethnicity but your reference to a group of people as same without yourself being any different.
Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by wesley80(m): 9:54am On Nov 19, 2011
@Asha
Bia, i'm tired of hearing this your call for links. If u so desperately need one, come and wiretap my arsse and you'll have one direct from source!
If a people residing in an Ukwuani town speaking flawless Igbo and practicing pure Igbo culture does not arouse your curiousity then i dont know why you're on this thread. I'm not here to prove the origin of Mbaise people is in Delta state but simply to highlight the influence a supposedly small town had on Igbo's not just those along the Niger but far inland. Give me proof to believe otherwise and i'll shut up, else u should shut it and allow me make my point! Aboh IMHO remains the most understudied ancient kingdom so unless you're ready to commission a study just keep quiet and listen. No professor can teach you what you're learning free of charge from me!

1 Like

Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by wesley80(m): 9:57am On Nov 19, 2011
@Asha
Bia, i'm tired of hearing this your call for links. If u so desperately need one, come and wiretap my arsse and you'll have one direct from source!
If a people residing in an Ukwuani town speaking flawless Igbo and practicing pure Igbo culture does not arouse your curiousity then i dont know why you're on this thread. I'm not here to prove the origin of Mbaise people is in Delta state but simply to highlight the influence a supposedly small town had on Igbo's not just those along the Niger but far inland. Give me proof to believe otherwise and i'll shut up, else u should shut it and allow me make my point! Aboh IMHO remains the most understudied ancient kingdom so unless you're ready to commission a study just keep quiet and listen. No professor can teach you what you're learning free of charge from me!
Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by wesley80(m): 10:01am On Nov 19, 2011
@Asha
Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by wesley80(m): 10:07am On Nov 19, 2011
oh dear! Who's going to clean up my repeated mess?
Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by asha80(m): 10:16am On Nov 19, 2011
wesley80:

@Asha

for the bolded then why some are saying that they are not igbo?

you are wasting time telling me to shut it because only a fool will believe your tale without something to back it up.you make a controversial statement without back up you expect people to swallow it hook line and sinker.do you you think we are fools?

listen to what?aboh kingdom?arousing my curiosity?the people saying that ukwuani(aboh) are igbos do you think they do not know how the culture and language there shouts igbo?so why the denial?to feel superior?

aboh kingdom only had influence on those along the niger and non inland.

stop plucking facts from the air.
Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by wesley80(m): 11:02am On Nov 19, 2011
mbatuku2:

^
Keep it coming, son. grin. You cracked me up in my seat with some of your comments. Thanks

But do you realize that the Benin empire was a spreading regional power at a point in the past and left many of their footprints beyond biniland? Put that into consideration in your arguments.

I'm not ignorant of that fact, but nowhere in Aboh history was it a vassal state. Though it was pounded into submission by the Brits, Bini history is well documented and though there are reports of skirmishes between the Bini and Aboh people there was never a conflict as the Bini's respected their border and Aboh people always saw Bini as their home. The good relationship persists till today and Aboh is one of the first places visited by an ascending Oba, just as it's a duty for an ascending Obi to head to Benin after coronation. I'lld have scanned in some ancient pictures if i was home. At the visit of Queen Victoria in the 50's, the only two royal fathers that received her were the Oba and the Obi of Aboh.
Today's Aboh culture is a potpourri of Bini, Igbo and Ijaw traditions though Igbo culture clearly dominates, it would be hasty to term Aboh a mere Igbo clan on that alone.

1 Like

Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by wesley80(m): 12:06pm On Nov 19, 2011
@abagworo,
Ukwuani becomes different when you factor in ethnic affiliation, culture, history and practices. If you agree that people from Aboh settled up river and possibly founded now Igbo towns, how then can you justify classifying same Aboh people as a sub-group of an area they helped create? Doesnt add up to me. Attempts to classify these people as mere Igbo clans translates to a denial of their roots, traditions and history. People want to be Ukwuani just as you want to hold on to your Igbo identity even though you could be merely Nigerian - that i perfectly understand.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply)

Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State / Adedamola Aderemi, Late Ooni Of Ife’s Grandson Tipped To Become King (pics) / The African Phenotype Diversity Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 118
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.