Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,697 members, 7,889,216 topics. Date: Sunday, 14 July 2024 at 05:39 AM

French Open 2009: Nadal Loses In The Fourth Round!!! - Sports (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / French Open 2009: Nadal Loses In The Fourth Round!!! (3638 Views)

Serena Defeats Sharapova To Win French Open Title / Venus Williams Loses In First Round At Wimbledon / Official French Open ( Rolland Garros ) 2012 Thread (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: French Open 2009: Nadal Loses In The Fourth Round!!! by RuuDie(m): 11:41am On Jun 06, 2009
It was quite a massive s/final performance from all the players - kudos to em all they made it quite a joy for us to watch.

Didn't get to see much of the first but saw quite a lot of the second.

I thot Del Potro just lost some belief in himself latter stages of that game - the guy played brilliantly in the first three sets.
Dunno if it was fatigue, but the way he served towards the tail end of the game was a big part of his undoing - he seemed to straining to hit the ball after tossing it in the air and two consecutive unforced errors gave Fed some easy leeway to a massive advantage.
He was too far deep in his half of the court and never tried to attack the net.

Fed wasn't at his very best, but was good enough - the technique of his shots was a marvel - you could see he played em in such a way that there wouldn't be much of an angle for Del Potro's returns and he wouldn't have to scamper or strain to reach em.

Quite fascinating contest that!

Some glimmer of spark seems to be returning to the men's game again!
Re: French Open 2009: Nadal Loses In The Fourth Round!!! by Moonstone(f): 11:42am On Jun 06, 2009
If y'all watched the game btw Monfils and Roddick well you'd see that Roddick has a disgusting temper. I'm happy Monfils beat his sorry self. Imagine - he had the guts to tell Monfils that he's not as good as he thinks he is. . . Hissssssssssssssssss!
As for Nadal - Praise Jah he's out. He was getting too cocky on clay sef. . . just because he managed to win so many games on clay. I hope he'll gather his game and gain some humility from this experience.
I really wanted Del Potro to win the game against Federer yesterday and he would have done so if not for the simple idiotic errors he kept on making. That game was his to win and his to lose. He was on his way to kicking out Federer till after the first 3 sets.

As for tomorrow's Final - I want Soderling to win so bad. He's ranked 23 in the world for goodness' sake. It would be amazing to see #23 crush #2 - Tennis has been too predictable in the last 2 years jare. Always a Nadal-Federer final. Now that someone new is in the mix - I'd be happy if he became one of the top dogs from this. Besides, he deserves to win that game after beating Nadal that way. Whichever way, Soderling has made his name relevant through this tournament.
Re: French Open 2009: Nadal Loses In The Fourth Round!!! by eldee(m): 6:56pm On Jun 06, 2009
Moonstone:

If y'all watched the game btw Monfils and Roddick well you'd see that Roddick has a disgusting temper. I'm happy Monfils beat his sorry self. Imagine - he had the guts to tell Monfils that he's not as good as he thinks he is. . . Hissssssssssssssssss!
As for Nadal - Praise Jah he's out. He was getting too cocky on clay sef. . . just because he managed to win so many games on clay. I hope he'll gather his game and gain some humility from this experience.
I really wanted Del Potro to win the game against Federer yesterday and he would have done so if not for the simple idiotic errors he kept on making. That game was his to win and his to lose. He was on his way to kicking out Federer till after the first 3 sets.

As for tomorrow's Final - I want Soderling to win so bad. He's ranked 23 in the world for goodness' sake. It would be amazing to see #23 crush #2 - Tennis has been too predictable in the last 2 years jare. Always a Nadal-Federer final. Now that someone new is in the mix - I'd be happy if he became one of the top dogs from this. Besides, he deserves to win that game after beating Nadal that way. Whichever way, Soderling has made his name relevant through this tournament.

Damn, you're such a hater . . . it's freaking ridiculous grin grin
Come on . . . you hate number one and two . . . you hate Roddick too

I don't need psychic powers to know that you're not a big fan of Murray either . . . grin grin
Don't hate, appreciate tongue
Re: French Open 2009: Nadal Loses In The Fourth Round!!! by bagoma(f): 7:21pm On Jun 06, 2009
Moonstone:

Moonstone, I disagree with the highlighted.
Yes, Roddick allowed his temper to get the better of him but who wouldn't?
Picture this,he was losing and quite badly too and not because of want of trying hard but he just did not have any answers to all of Monfils was throwing at him and the guys theatrics certainly was not helping matters.
Yes he said "You're not that good enough to be that cocky" and i quite agree with that statement. Monfils was acting all too cocky with the way he was shaking his head in amusement at Roddicks little (quite unnecessary) argument with the umpire as if to say "man, what are u bitching abt?"
I mean there is so much a man can take, especially when you are being beaten silly cheesy
Not hating on monfils but He was indeed acting cocky/arrogant!
I was glad when Federer brought him down to earth in the very next round!
Re: French Open 2009: Nadal Loses In The Fourth Round!!! by bagoma(f): 7:41pm On Jun 06, 2009
Kuznetsova beats Safina to win her maiden French open grand slam title 6-4, 6-2.
She was clearly the better player on the day.
she played out her game plan to perfection and it payed off quite well.
Before the match she had said that she will try to run Safina around a lot on the court and she did quite that.
She mixed up her game quite well coming to the baseline a few times with the occassional drop shots.
Being more athletic around the court than Safina helped her a lot.
For Safina, her first serves were poor plus a handful of double faults. could it be down to nerves? I dont know.
In the end I felt so sorry for Safina who lost again like last year in the final. she is yet to win her first grand slam title after 3 trials at d final ( I think)
Not an outstanding final, good tennis though.
Congrats to Kuznetsova
Re: French Open 2009: Nadal Loses In The Fourth Round!!! by RuuDie(m): 7:42am On Jun 07, 2009
what time (GMT) is the men finals
Re: French Open 2009: Nadal Loses In The Fourth Round!!! by rasputinn(m): 8:13am On Jun 07, 2009
Svetlana Kuznetsova’s five-year wait for a second Grand Slam title is over. The Russian won the 2009 French Open title, emerging victorious 6-4 6-2 after her opponent – No1 seed Dinara Safina – was paralysed with nerves throughout the 75-minute contest. The way she reacted angrily yesterday,I bet Dinara thought even before the match that she had won the match and trophy already.
Congratulations Kuz Kuz (her name ;Svetlana Kuznetsova is a bit tongue-twisting,so I go with Kuz Kuz)
Re: French Open 2009: Nadal Loses In The Fourth Round!!! by rasputinn(m): 8:25am On Jun 07, 2009
RuuDie:

what time (GMT) is the men finals

AT 1500hrs at the Philippe Chatrier court between world number 23;Robin Soderling of Sweden and world number 2;Roger Federer of Switzerland.

I'm rooting for Robin to rob Roger wink wink
Re: French Open 2009: Nadal Loses In The Fourth Round!!! by iice(f): 10:07am On Jun 07, 2009
Poor Safina
Re: French Open 2009: Nadal Loses In The Fourth Round!!! by dominique(f): 12:53pm On Jun 07, 2009
iice:

Poor Safina
its life. . . shit happens and later on today it will be poor roger wink
Re: French Open 2009: Nadal Loses In The Fourth Round!!! by eldee(m): 3:26pm On Jun 07, 2009
This is simply pure bullying . . . best I've seen from Federer in since the start of the tounament
Re: French Open 2009: Nadal Loses In The Fourth Round!!! by iice(f): 3:48pm On Jun 07, 2009
Abeg make guy jare. . .just 1 more grand slam na tongue
Re: French Open 2009: Nadal Loses In The Fourth Round!!! by RuuDie(m): 4:07pm On Jun 07, 2009
No doubts. . . . . . . Fed is winning his 1st FO 4 sure!

5-4 set3
Re: French Open 2009: Nadal Loses In The Fourth Round!!! by eldee(m): 4:09pm On Jun 07, 2009
And there it is. . . the greatest tennis player in history . . . for now
Re: French Open 2009: Nadal Loses In The Fourth Round!!! by MrCrackles(m): 4:11pm On Jun 07, 2009
And Federer slams it! grin
Re: French Open 2009: Nadal Loses In The Fourth Round!!! by eldee(m): 4:12pm On Jun 07, 2009
Straight sets . . . this is just stupid!!!
I stayed in to watch the French Open Final, I saw bullying
It's Rafa's fault. . .
Re: French Open 2009: Nadal Loses In The Fourth Round!!! by RuuDie(m): 4:21pm On Jun 07, 2009
Awww. . . . isn't he just a great sportsman - had to cut short his li'l victory gig to go give his opponent a warm hand and consoling words!

Its your time FEDDIE boy. . . . . enjoy!
Re: French Open 2009: Nadal Loses In The Fourth Round!!! by iice(f): 4:22pm On Jun 07, 2009
Yes!! cheesy cheesy
Re: French Open 2009: Nadal Loses In The Fourth Round!!! by RuuDie(m): 4:22pm On Jun 07, 2009
eldee:

Straight sets . . . this is just stupid!!!
I stayed in to watch the French Open Final, I saw bullying
It's Rafa's fault. . .

Naah. . . . its Robin's fault - why did he beat all the top contenders if he knew he didn't have the balls to finish what he'd started!
grin grin grin
Re: French Open 2009: Nadal Loses In The Fourth Round!!! by eldee(m): 4:34pm On Jun 07, 2009
RuuDie:

Naah. . . . its Robin's fault - why did he beat all the top contenders if he knew he didn't have the balls to finish what he'd started!
grin grin grin
I know . . . the funny part is, he gave up on the match before it even started
He didn't even get any advantage from the deuces . . . he left every ball that had a little touch of skill
Re: French Open 2009: Nadal Loses In The Fourth Round!!! by dayokanu(m): 4:39pm On Jun 07, 2009
Behold the greatest tennis player of all time,

ROGER FEDERER the Federer express
Re: French Open 2009: Nadal Loses In The Fourth Round!!! by Phony200(m): 5:09pm On Jun 07, 2009
I feel so happy you'd think I won a grand slam, lol. But it really was coming to place. No matter what haters say that it's because of Rafa's absence, any guy who get to a final four years in a row deserves to win once. A little devil in me would have loved Nadal to have been the losing finalist but i'd have also taken Ugly Betty if she was in the final grin. Whether he can win any other grand slam to add to his 14, i don't really know and frankly do not care. I'm just glad the tears he shed last wimbledon did not go to waste. It hurt me so bad, I've finally been comforted. Let's hear it for the World's greatest *active*Tennis player (i say active not to cause fight, lol)
Re: French Open 2009: Nadal Loses In The Fourth Round!!! by bagoma(f): 6:03pm On Jun 07, 2009
Yeah, Yeah, Yeah!!!!!!!!!!
At last, He wins it. Roger Federer wins it!!!!!
No its not wimbledon, its not Australian, its not the US open its the FRENCH OPEN yall!!!!!!
At last, at Last, grin
So happy for him. He deserves it!
cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: French Open 2009: Nadal Loses In The Fourth Round!!! by bagoma(f): 6:06pm On Jun 07, 2009
He needs to win another one or 2 to surpass every other player ever and then retire nicely so Nadal can come up and smash that record too! cheesy
Re: French Open 2009: Nadal Loses In The Fourth Round!!! by Enigma(m): 6:13pm On Jun 07, 2009
Phony200:

I feel so happy you'd think I won a grand slam, lol. But it really was coming to place. No matter what haters say that it's because of Rafa's absence, any guy who get to a final four years in a row deserves to win once. A little devil in me would have loved Nadal to have been the losing finalist but i'd have also taken Ugly Betty if she was in the final grin. Whether he can win any other grand slam to add to his 14, i don't really know and frankly do not care. I'm just glad the tears he shed last wimbledon did not go to waste. It hurt me so bad, I've finally been comforted. Let's hear it for the World's greatest *active*Tennis player (i say active not to cause fight, lol)

Thank you so much for expressing my sentiments totally and completely! grin

Congrats to the G.O.A.T. cool
Re: French Open 2009: Nadal Loses In The Fourth Round!!! by Phony200(m): 6:29pm On Jun 07, 2009
Fed is just 27 years old and everyone is thinking retirement! Getting to 14 slams is an achievement but it's not the limit!!! Records are made to be broken, age is on his side, he can still take on d top 5 on good days and give them tutorials, well maybe with Nadal, it's more like a workout session, lol. What I'm just saying is the guy cannot be faulted for his committment and ability to recover when the whole world thought he was down and out. One more stint as world number 1 is not a dream at this rate.
And i hope nobody belittles this feat by saying crap about his opponent. Robin Soderling did a good job, getting to the finals was no fluke. He just lost a living legend is all. It's nothing to be ashamed of.
Go Roger!!!
Re: French Open 2009: Nadal Loses In The Fourth Round!!! by A40(m): 6:59pm On Jun 07, 2009
@rasputinn
All i'd say is i like em big and bashy

Is this Safina chic under some kind of curse?why does she make the finals and play so poorly? 3 finals now and nothing to show for it

Finally R.Fed can stake his claim as the best tennis player of all-time i don't know how long he would be able to that if Nadal improves his hardcourt game
Re: French Open 2009: Nadal Loses In The Fourth Round!!! by rasputinn(m): 7:46pm On Jun 07, 2009
RuuDie:

grin grin grin

Don't mind him,he denied us the chance to see a good final game.He was so nervous jeez
Well,congratulations to Federer,I know how much he needed the win,did you see those trade mark girl-pants tears of his after he won (thought those were reserved for whenever he got raped by Rafa grin grin grin)
Re: French Open 2009: Nadal Loses In The Fourth Round!!! by dayokanu(m): 9:08pm On Jun 07, 2009
Roger Federer Is the greatest Tennis player OF ALL TIME.

14 slams on all surfaces tell me who has done better

Sampras said Federer deserves to be at the top of the all-time list.
“I’m obviously happy for Roger,” Sampras told The Associated Press in a telephone interview from Los Angeles, where he lives. “Now that he has won in Paris, I think it just more solidifies his place in history as the greatest player that played the game, in my opinion.”

Federer won his 14th Grand Slam championship at age 27. Sampras, who never reached a French Open final, was 31 when he won his last major title. Federer will try for No. 15 beginning in two weeks at Wimbledon, which he has won five times.

He has also won the U.S. Open the past five years, and he has three Australian Open titles.

Besides Federer and Agassi, the other men to win all four Grand Slams tournaments were Fred Perry, Don Budge, Rod Laver and Roy Emerson.

So who is the greatest tennis player if Not ROGER FEDERER!!!
Re: French Open 2009: Nadal Loses In The Fourth Round!!! by DrKitaun(m): 9:13pm On Jun 07, 2009
yaaaaaaaaaaaaay !!!  grin  grin

FEDEREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRR . . . . .

where is Davidylan and all his Nadal crew ?  tongue

seriously Nadal cant reach the levels Fed has  . . .simply cos as of now they are contempoparies and there are other upcoming stars in the making that will cut is reign short faster than u knew it . . .

Fed is staking a big come-back to no 1-ship and u cant fault his commitment like Phony said . . .

after all said and done, the greatest Tennis player is FEDERER and in very little time HE WOULD ONCE AGAIN BE NO 1  cool
Re: French Open 2009: Nadal Loses In The Fourth Round!!! by Moonstone(f): 6:31am On Jun 08, 2009
eldee:

Damn, you're such a hater . . . it's freaking ridiculous grin grin
Come on . . . you hate number one and two . . . you hate Roddick too

I don't need psychic powers to know that you're not a big fan of Murray either . . . grin grin
Don't hate, appreciate tongue
LOL! What? cheesy cheesy cheesy
Funny enough - I love Murray. Roddick has been known to have a temper and I'm just tired of Federer-Nadal finals. Drags me back to the days when only Pete Sampras and Agassi used to carry cups anyhow. . . I need new faces joooooO! Just like we have in the women's division.
bagoma:

Moonstone, I disagree with the highlighted.
Yes, Roddick allowed his temper to get the better of him but who wouldn't?
Picture this,he was losing and quite badly too and not because of want of trying hard but he just did not have any answers to all of Monfils was throwing at him and the guys theatrics certainly was not helping matters.
Yes he said "You're not that good enough to be that cocky" and i quite agree with that statement. Monfils was acting all too cocky with the way he was shaking his head in amusement at Roddicks little (quite you mean very don't ya? LOL! unnecessary) argument with the umpire as if to say "man, what are u bitching abt?"
I mean there is so much a man can take, especially when you are being beaten silly cheesy
Not hating on monfils but He was indeed acting cocky/arrogant!
I was glad when Federer brought him down to earth in the very next round!
I don't care if someone is being murdered on the court, he needs to have a lil' bit of sportsmanship in him. Don't get it twisted - I used to be a fan of Roddick back in the day but he's got a history of a bad temper. Monfils was not acting cocky, the poor guy was just happy that he was beating one of the better tennis players. It's like you saying Soderling is cocky cos he was beating Nadal. There's no reason for a grown man to complain about dark skies for crying out loud. Roddick was acting like a spoilt brat complaining about how the atmosphere was no longer clear but now cloudy. Please, if you want to lose - lose in good spirits and don't blame it on little things such as the cloud clarity or what not. It was almost like he was looking for little excuses to back up his loss.

Soderling lost in a bitter way but he was making way too many errors for my liking and I did not appreciate the fact that he had less energy in the finals than he had when beating Nadal. I do see him soaring high and I can't wait for him to display his full talent in the Tennis world.
Congratulations to Federer though.
dayokanu:

Roger Federer Is the greatest Tennis player OF ALL TIME.

14 slams on all surfaces tell me who has done better
So who is the greatest tennis player if Not ROGER FEDERER!!!
He's not yet the greatest tennis player. . . Sampras has an equal record. One more grandslam and Federer tops the list.
Re: French Open 2009: Nadal Loses In The Fourth Round!!! by RuuDie(m): 8:17am On Jun 08, 2009
Not hating on FED. . . . . . but i have always said that it'd be a touch difficult for him to surpass Sampras' record - the game is getting stronger and there much better players now + since Djokovic registered a series of wins against FED was it one or two yrs ago, the psyche of a lot of players seemed to have changed certainly not like Robin's display from the days when FED just over-run em easily.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

You Won’t Believe What These 2 LINES On Ronaldo’s Head Mean / Sport Tipping Service (STS) / Is Mikel Obi A Lazy Player,As Some Football Pundits Reckon ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.