Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,182,665 members, 7,918,134 topics. Date: Sunday, 11 August 2024 at 11:43 PM

Serena Defeats Sharapova To Win French Open Title - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Serena Defeats Sharapova To Win French Open Title (10110 Views)

Tyson Fury Defeats Wladimir Klitschko / Rafael Nadal Wins Eighth French Open Title / Official French Open ( Rolland Garros ) 2012 Thread (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Serena Defeats Sharapova To Win French Open Title by ShackAttack: 3:58pm On Jun 08, 2013

PARIS — Serena Williams spent the French Open fortnight showing off her French.

Now she can can parler francais while holding the French Open trophy.

Top-seeded Williams beat No. 2 Maria Sharapova 6-4, 6-4 to secure her second French Open title, 11 years to the day after she beat her older sister Venus to win her first in 2002.

A year after crashing out of the French Open's opening round for the first time in her career, Williams returned to play one of her best wire-to-wire tournaments.

She dropped just 29 games, matching her best Grand Slam effort (she also dropped 29 games on her way to the 2002 U.S. Open title).

With 16 Grand Slam titles, the 31-year-old American trails Chris Evert and Martina Navratilova by two majors for sixth place all time.

Fist pumping and screaming "C'mon!" almost from the get-go, Sharapova survived a 0-40 deficit in the opening game and then broke Williams for 2-0.

But the 26-year-old failed to convert two game points on her serve the next game, and Williams – invoking some vocal histrionics and menacing fist pumps of her own – broke back.

Sharapova didn't fade, breaking Williams again for 4-4, but the American had too much firepower. Her baseline drives were deeper. Her serves were more accurate. Her defense was better.

Since her first-round exit here a year ago, Williams has captured three of the last four majors and a gold medal at the London Olympics.

Williams, who charmed crowds with her on-court interviews in the native tongue — something she said she had prepared for 12 months ago — eclipsed seven-time champion Evert as oldest Roland Garros winner in the Open era (31 years, 256 days).

Sharapova, the defending French Open champion, dropped to 2-14 vs. Williams, including 13 in a row and four defeats this season.

Williams improved to 43-2 this year, including 23-0 on clay. Now comes the switch to grass, and she'll be a heavy favorite to win Wimbledon for the sixth time.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/tennis/2013/06/08/serena-williams-maria-sharapova-french-open-womens-final/2403367/

3 Likes

Re: Serena Defeats Sharapova To Win French Open Title by ShackAttack: 4:09pm On Jun 08, 2013
Serena wraps the match with and ace to lift win Roland Garros after 11 years! What a comprehensive performance by Williams as one must feel sorry for Sharapova as the Russian gave everything she had. The American just did not put a step wrong throughout the match as she overpowered and outplayed Sharapova in two closely contested sets in an hour and 46 minutes. With monstrous serves and really heavy forehands, the American pleases the crowd that supported her further as she expressed her feelings in French, something she has been practicing really hard.

1 Like

Re: Serena Defeats Sharapova To Win French Open Title by ShackAttack: 4:10pm On Jun 08, 2013
It was an interesting match that proved easy for the number one seed.
Re: Serena Defeats Sharapova To Win French Open Title by danomasoro(m): 4:50pm On Jun 08, 2013
GOOD FOR HER
Re: Serena Defeats Sharapova To Win French Open Title by COOLDUN: 4:51pm On Jun 08, 2013
Victory , victory, victory, too much fame and wealth. This girl is richer than Burkina Faso and Ghana put together. I thank God for your life my dear. Carry go.

3 Likes

Re: Serena Defeats Sharapova To Win French Open Title by Sleekydee(m): 4:53pm On Jun 08, 2013
Sharapova kinda tried dis time...I actually predicted 6-0 6-1....VIVA SERENA
Re: Serena Defeats Sharapova To Win French Open Title by Nobody: 4:54pm On Jun 08, 2013
Not happy. #teamsharapova#
Re: Serena Defeats Sharapova To Win French Open Title by Provie(m): 4:56pm On Jun 08, 2013
Serena Williams, Venus Williams, Maria Sharapova, Serena Williams, Serena Williams, williams, williams...
Monotony kills interest.
Re: Serena Defeats Sharapova To Win French Open Title by Freiburger(m): 4:56pm On Jun 08, 2013
Serena baby, she did it again.

1 Like

Re: Serena Defeats Sharapova To Win French Open Title by Nobody: 5:00pm On Jun 08, 2013
Gotta love Serena kiss
Re: Serena Defeats Sharapova To Win French Open Title by aieromon(m): 5:06pm On Jun 08, 2013
Congrats. . . .
Re: Serena Defeats Sharapova To Win French Open Title by Nuzo1(m): 5:07pm On Jun 08, 2013
"Dedication is greater than passion" - Nuzo kiss
Re: Serena Defeats Sharapova To Win French Open Title by babarazy: 5:09pm On Jun 08, 2013
Congrat ooo.
Re: Serena Defeats Sharapova To Win French Open Title by kolamilan(m): 5:13pm On Jun 08, 2013
am happy for her.
Re: Serena Defeats Sharapova To Win French Open Title by Nobody: 5:13pm On Jun 08, 2013
Provie: Serena Williams, Venus Williams, Maria Sharapova, Serena Williams, Serena Williams, williams, williams...
Monotony kills interest.

What exactly do you mean?
That they should not give A Williams the trophy upon victory simply cos they seem to ne monopolising it?

1 Like

Re: Serena Defeats Sharapova To Win French Open Title by Nobody: 5:15pm On Jun 08, 2013
Williams is just getting better in her game as she grows older. congrats to a deserving champion.
Re: Serena Defeats Sharapova To Win French Open Title by Nobody: 5:17pm On Jun 08, 2013
Congrats!!

She'll dominate for the next two and she definitely has four more grand-slams to her. Starting with Wimbledon - I don't see anyone topping her on grass, to be honest.

She's the greatest female tennis player ever!!! She came in an era where female tennis was packed with great players - and she dominated everyone(including her sister, Venus). Only the Belgians girls(Kim Clijsters and Justine Henin) gave her a hard time - and she forced them into retirement twice.

I know the fans of Steffi Graf would something to say. However, without the barbaric stabbing of Monica Seles by the deranged and psychotic German fan, she definitely wouldn't have won the many grand-slams.

Hale Serena Williams, the G.O.A.T.

2 Likes

Re: Serena Defeats Sharapova To Win French Open Title by Provie(m): 5:25pm On Jun 08, 2013
careytommy:
What exactly do you mean?
That they should not give A Williams the trophy upon victory simply cos they seem to ne monopolising it?

NOT AT ALL; JUST EXPRESSING A SIMPLE NATURAL LAW. CONGRATS TO HER ANYWAY.
Re: Serena Defeats Sharapova To Win French Open Title by tellwisdom: 5:28pm On Jun 08, 2013
Serena ndideka willams. Nice one smiley...Most Nigerian gurls would sure being in a beer parlour drinking big stout and pepper soup when you were wining this trophy sad

Congrat once more my sisterwink
Re: Serena Defeats Sharapova To Win French Open Title by Nobody: 5:33pm On Jun 08, 2013
I actually like both players bt seriously i love sharapova........she's jst so adorable wen she plays.....i tot she wuld defeat serena bt obviously it's d oda way round.......
Anyways more kudos 2 serena williams, she deserves it.

1 Like

Re: Serena Defeats Sharapova To Win French Open Title by AbuMikey(m): 5:33pm On Jun 08, 2013
Serena is my FaV female tennis player!!!_____Nadal remains my best of all time.

4 Likes

Re: Serena Defeats Sharapova To Win French Open Title by eedreez505: 5:54pm On Jun 08, 2013
Abu Mikey: Serena is my FaV female tennis player!!!_____Nadal remains my best of all time.

ROGER FEDERER ALL THE WAY ANY DAY ANY TIME.
Re: Serena Defeats Sharapova To Win French Open Title by supaeagles(m): 5:55pm On Jun 08, 2013
I don't follow tennis that much but the way the sisters have dominated the sport is really amazing and exciting. We may never witness this in a long time and so should appreciate it while they are at the top of their game.

1 Like

Re: Serena Defeats Sharapova To Win French Open Title by brownlord: 6:04pm On Jun 08, 2013
Oh my serena and i just broke with her 3 dayz ago, anyway let me call to congratulate her first, then invite her to my crip tonight

1 Like

Re: Serena Defeats Sharapova To Win French Open Title by mtprofessor5(m): 6:08pm On Jun 08, 2013
i wish dey cud jst place a match btw she n rapheal federa
Re: Serena Defeats Sharapova To Win French Open Title by daylae(m): 6:10pm On Jun 08, 2013
good for her.
Re: Serena Defeats Sharapova To Win French Open Title by Phonon: 6:13pm On Jun 08, 2013
Richer than Burkina Faso and Ghana?What secondary school did you attend?This is an indictment of our educational system.Try reading dude,it helps.Serena's networth is not even close to a billion dollars.JEEZ.

COOLDUN: Victory , victory, victory, too much fame and wealth. This girl is richer than Burkina Faso and Ghana put together. I thank God for your life my dear. Carry go.
Re: Serena Defeats Sharapova To Win French Open Title by OkikiOluwa1(m): 6:14pm On Jun 08, 2013
I knew she ll win.
I was with her in prayers.
Last bullet: The change I saw in Serena during the French Open is her body shape. She has lost some fat & now has a sweet yummy shape.
Re: Serena Defeats Sharapova To Win French Open Title by AbuMikey(m): 6:17pm On Jun 08, 2013
eedreez505:

ROGER FEDERER ALL THE WAY ANY DAY ANY TIME.
Clay is all that matters bro!
Don't forget Rafael Nadal still remains the undisputed KING of CLAY.
Re: Serena Defeats Sharapova To Win French Open Title by AbuMikey(m): 6:20pm On Jun 08, 2013
COOLDUN: Victory , victory, victory, too much fame and wealth. This girl is richer than Burkina Faso and Ghana put together. I thank God for your life my dear. Carry go.
Modify pls......Your English is just too bad!!!

1 Like

Re: Serena Defeats Sharapova To Win French Open Title by AbuMikey(m): 6:23pm On Jun 08, 2013
brownlord: Oh my serena and i just broke with her 3 dayz ago, anyway let me call to congratulate her first, then invite her to my crip tonight
gringringringringrin
Re: Serena Defeats Sharapova To Win French Open Title by sholay2011(m): 6:32pm On Jun 08, 2013
Smh @ some comments. Anyone that has followed tennis for a while would know Serena totally deserves this win and there is no idea of 'monopoly' here.

The last time she won the French Open 11 f**king years ago(2002)! She never gave up within this long gap of years even though she dealt with a lot of things like the loss of her sister (yetunde), pulmonary embolism which she had to undergo a life-threatening operation.

She came back into the game at an age some of her colleagues like andy roddick and kim clijsters were dropping their bats and got knocked out in the first round of a tournament- last year French Open ( the first time ever she would be beaten in the first round in her career).

She never gave up. She subjected herself to a new French coach who helped her change her game. Now she is really on fire and smashing records. She occupies the number 1 ranking again. Her tennis story is just inspiring. This French Open win is just an icing on the cake. Now she has two of all grandslams. Her best is yet to come...I hope.

She is the greatest female tennis player of all time. cool Steffi graf fans, deal with it. grin

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Asisat Oshoala Foundation Gets Lagos State Support / Super Falcons Midfielder Echegini Announces Departure From Juventus / Video: Footballer Kicked Off Team For Having Sex With Fan During Match

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.