Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,180,449 members, 7,911,099 topics. Date: Monday, 05 August 2024 at 02:52 AM

Niger Delta: Is Their Solution In Sight? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Niger Delta: Is Their Solution In Sight? (2531 Views)

No End In Sight For Insurgency — Borno Residents / Amaechi, Dakuku Say Victory In Sight For APC / End Of Boko Haram In Sight, Says Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Niger Delta: Is Their Solution In Sight? by arogbowei: 12:08am On May 27, 2009
Man will always dominate man to his own injury. (Ecclesiastes 8: 9). It does not belong to man who is walking to direct his step, not to talk of those of others. (Jeremiah 10: 23)

So long as you and I see what is happening as a Niger Delta headache, there is no end on sight. But the moment we all see it as a national problem, then there might be a beginning of the end of the problem.
Re: Niger Delta: Is Their Solution In Sight? by ThinkRait: 7:59am On May 27, 2009
"Ironically, Niweigha is the elder brother of Duoye, Aide-de-Camp (ADC) to Governor Timipre Sylva, who was at a time orderly to former Minister of Energy, Dr Edmund Daukoru, who is now the paramount ruler of Nembe Kingdom.
THISDAY also gathered that the Executive Assistant to the governor (name withheld) is the immediate junior sister to Henry Okah, the militant leader standing trial for alleged gun running. The Executive Assistant is also the Personal Secretary to the governor and she wields enormous influence in government
Udeka gave the names of the three other arrested militants as Etete Diepreye, Lucky Ogun and Kurotimi Gabriel.
When interviewed by reporters, Niweigha admitted that the berretta pistol was found on him, explaining that he armed himself with it because he was the Odi Local Government Area Coordinator of the Bayelsa Volunteer. "

From today's Thisday newspaper

This tells me the Government and the millitants are one and the same.
The only solution to the crisis is political.
Re: Niger Delta: Is Their Solution In Sight? by jimmysho(m): 10:06am On May 27, 2009
ThinkRait:

This tells me the Government and the millitants are one and the same.
The only solution to the crisis is political.

Have always maintain that "IROMI TO N' JO LORI OMI, ONILU E WA LABE OMI" meaning the water masquerade that is dancing on water, its drummer is beneath the water. The militants have not being acting in isolation they are backed by those individuals within and outside government circle. it is very rear for any kidnap victim to be murdered, the militant are only using that tactics to drum home support for their agitation. Like i said earlier, criminality is a phase in the struggle of self determination which will die naturally if the freedom fighters secure a more organized means of funding their struggle
Re: Niger Delta: Is Their Solution In Sight? by jimmysho(m): 10:27am On May 27, 2009
political solution has many sided, it all depend on what u term political way forward.

the ultimate way forward out of this problem is for us all to be honest enough about this and curb it because ATI KEKERE LATI N PA EKA IROKO TO BA DAGBA TAN ORISA NI NDA meaning it is better we stop this menace before it share our dear country to her foundation
Re: Niger Delta: Is Their Solution In Sight? by jimmysho(m): 11:18am On May 27, 2009
SapeleGuy:

Yes, the end is in sight.

The ultimate solution is resource control. The interim solution is massive capital investment and job creation i.e. build a city on the scale of Abuja in the Niger Delta.

Diversify the economy, why can't we mine other resources like Limestone, tin ore, gold, granite in the North or other parts of the country? This neglect of other resources is criminal.
SapeleGuy link=topic=276528.msg3928416#msg3928416 date=1243370317:

Yes, the end is in sight.

The ultimate solution is resource control. The interim solution is massive capital investment and job creation i.e. build a city on the scale of Abuja in the Niger Delta.

Diversify the economy, why can't we mine other resources like Limestone, tin ore, gold, granite in the North or other parts of the country? This neglect of other resources is criminal.

what a brilliant suggestion" the big question that is worrisome is "who are the pple that will ensure all the stated way forward coming into reality?"

the real Nigerians will never want such to surface because if it does, it infringe on their fundamental right. i know u will ask me how do i mean? the northern oligarchy believe they ve worked extremely hard to sustain the unity of Nigeria and some cowards that are fortunate to have the natural resource is now claiming the right to resource control or true federalism
Re: Niger Delta: Is Their Solution In Sight? by Sukosam(m): 12:08pm On May 27, 2009
There are only three solutions 2 dis prblm:d militants surrender their arms, d govt grants their demand and withdraws the jtf 4rm d region, or the jtf flushes out the militants. The first two solutions are practically impossible,going by the situation on ground,and the third solution'll take a long time to achive cos' those guys'll give the jtf a stiff resistance, which'll likely collapse with casualties on bothsides and civilians.
Re: Niger Delta: Is Their Solution In Sight? by jimmysho(m): 12:18pm On May 27, 2009
The following will go a long way to settle the debacle

1. Oil companies in the Niger Delta states should publish audits of their revenues.

2. Oil companies must establish a Community Investment Fund and earmark a percentage of gross revenues directly to local community organizations working in the fields of health, education, micro-credit, and infrastructure development.

3. Oil companies to clean up oil spills, eliminate gas flares, and provide special compensation to communities devastated by environmental degradation.

4. Let oil companies train and hire residents from affected populations in the Delta region.

5. Let Nigeria government go back to the 1962 constitutional provision on derivation.

6. De-emphasize reliance on oil and develop other source of revenue by so doing no region will be seen not to be contributing meaningfully to the nations purse
Re: Niger Delta: Is Their Solution In Sight? by jimmysho(m): 12:28pm On May 27, 2009
Sukosam:

militants surrender their arms, or the jtf flushes out the militants.

The militants cant surrender if the military do not declare ceasefire and withdraw from the area completely and go a "buffer zone". Flushing them might be impossible because it seems Nigeria military do not have the requisite skill to fight in the creeks. In my opinion, those boys know the terrain better which in the act of war is an advantage and a potent weapon. The boys will only be using Guerrilla War tactics {fight and retreat until they bring Nigeria economy to its knees}
Re: Niger Delta: Is Their Solution In Sight? by proudly9ja(m): 1:00pm On May 27, 2009
Military will not declare cease fire until they have had their fill and that is when they know that the militants have been pushed as far back as possible. If the military retreats now, it will be worse for the nation as the militants will strike back as may be even worse than before.

I don't understand why people keep crying over resource control. The truth is, what have the former governors done with the money they received in the past? Any increase will have no effect on the people, it will only make governors and ministers and the likes richer! Where do u think the militants are getting such sophisticated weapons from? How else do you think they were smuggled into the country? Where did they get their resources from? Abeg, the solution is not in resource control. The solution like Ive always said is for Nigerians, the ones who are really suffering this mess, the ones who have to drink contaminated water, the ones who feel the heat from gas flaring, let them face the governors, stone them whenever they c them like Yaradua was stoned in one of the northern states. We shouldn't let some miscreants who call themselves militants fight on our behalf, no, If them politicians feel that they can make Nigeria unlivable for us, they they shoudn't be able to live in the country or anywhere else either! ''pikin wey say him mama no go sleep, him sef no go see sleep''
Re: Niger Delta: Is Their Solution In Sight? by jimmysho(m): 1:28pm On May 27, 2009
proudly9ja:

The solution like Ive always said is for Nigerians, the ones who are really suffering this mess, the ones who have to drink contaminated water, the ones who feel the heat from gas flaring, let them face the governors, stone them whenever they c them like Yaradua was stoned in one of the northern states. We shouldn't let some miscreants who call themselves militants fight o

how many politician ve u stoned or bette still organised to be, ?

nigeria politicians are shameless rogue

the only means to stone them is what the boys are doing and ridiculing them, we still ve half revenue, let us wait till 0.00 then, they will ve nothing to still and come to terms with that region.

on what has been giving to them, their leaders will be dealt with appropriately. let federal govt play her own part and leave the rest to the locals if heads will not roll.

some of their so- called leaders will be begged to lead and they will reject immediately
Re: Niger Delta: Is Their Solution In Sight? by proudly9ja(m): 1:37pm On May 27, 2009
jimmysho:

how many politician ve u stoned or bette still organised to be, ?

nigeria politicians are shameless rogue

the only means to stone them is what the boys are doing and ridiculing them, we still ve half revenue, let us wait till 0.00 then, they will ve nothing to still and come to terms with that region.

on what has been giving to them, their leaders will be dealt with appropriately. let federal govt play her own part and leave the rest to the locals if heads will not roll.

some of their so- called leaders will be begged to lead and they will reject immediately

The 'boys' are not fighting for anything but their pockets thats my view. Go and check out the mansions these 'boys' have built in PH all in the name of fighting for rights. My point is, the same boys u are talking about are mere fronts for these thieves in govt. The truth will soon begin to pour in.
Why do we have to wait till there's 100% derivation before we ask questions? Why are we not asking questions now?

Its the samething that used to happen back in the days of the military and we demonstrate. After startung the demonstrations and there's little opposition, we retreat and allow area boys take over. At the end of the day, they raid shops and loot markets owned by our parents and siblings. If we had kept on and refused to retreat in the face of opposition, we would have been able to achieve better results.

MEND may have started with the right intentions, but right now, they have been hijaaked by politicians, the same ones that we are fighting against. Like I said, the truth will soon be revealed.
Re: Niger Delta: Is Their Solution In Sight? by jimmysho(m): 1:51pm On May 27, 2009
proudly9ja:

The 'boys' are not fighting for anything but their pockets thats my view. Go and check out the mansions these 'boys' have built in PH all in the name of fighting for rights. My point is, the same boys u are talking about are mere fronts for these thieves in govt. The truth will soon begin to pour in.
Why do we have to wait till there's 100% derivation before we ask questions? Why are we not asking questions now?

that shows the military know where they are in the city, why didn't they go after them in the town and seize those mansions built by the boys

we are asking nobody to supply the right answers.

Let use the so called politician that hijacked the struggle and later deal decisively with them at a later date after we might ve achieved our aim of better naija.

don't u know that IKAN KAN LA N YOSE LEKU meaning one step after the other
Re: Niger Delta: Is Their Solution In Sight? by Becomrich: 2:06pm On May 27, 2009
The solution may be difficult to listen for some people. But i say it again. Let the north have the 70% oil with the igbos. It is easy. Look it is better to be alive than death.

If you look at the map. According to Nigeria ministry of finace. 70% is on the coast with river, akwa ibom, imo, abia state. Ijaw who are in MEND live in mostly bayelsa state. Let remove the Yoruba, edo, delta and bayelsa into Benin republic.

If we move the ijaw into benin republic most of the 70% would go to the north and igbos.

If we do that 70% of the oil would be free from attack. And we would not have problem .

Look even with the 30% if well manage. we would do very very well. At the moment. they are not give getting 30% and 30% is better than the close to zero % you are getting.

It is not worst killing people over nothing. Go and sit down and do the calculation the north most of the oil now. Why get killed over zero% ,

let take the 30% and let the north and igbos have the 70% of the oil.

Re: Niger Delta: Is Their Solution In Sight? by BabaTony: 2:16pm On May 27, 2009
lol
Re: Niger Delta: Is Their Solution In Sight? by Becomrich: 2:21pm On May 27, 2009
The solution may be difficult to here for some people. But i say it again. Let the north have the 70% oil with the igbos. It is easy. Look it is better to be alive than death.

If you look at the map. According to Nigeria ministry of finace. 70% is on the coast with river, akwa ibom, imo, abia state. Ijaw who are in MEND live in mostly bayelsa state. Let remove the Yoruba, edo, delta and bayelsa into Benin republic.

If we move the ijaw into benin republic most of the 70% would go to the north and igbos.

If we do that 70% of the oil would be free from attack. And we would not have problem .

Look even with the 30% if well manage. we would do very very well. At the moment. they are not give getting 30% and 30% is better than the close to zero % you are getting.

It is not worst killing people over nothing. Go and sit down and do the calculation the north most of the oil now. Why get killed over zero% ,

let take the 30% and let the north and igbos have the 70% of the oil.
Re: Niger Delta: Is Their Solution In Sight? by Becomrich: 2:59pm On May 27, 2009
the price of oil is $60 per barrel, if there is peace. we can produce 2,500,000 barrel

While the north and igbos would have 1,750,000 barrel a day.

If we find out how much we make with the 70% per year. the calculation is.

60 x 1,750,000 x 365 days = 38,325,000,000 == $ 38 billion a year.

let the north and igbos have the 70% of the oil.
Re: Niger Delta: Is Their Solution In Sight? by jimmysho(m): 8:14pm On May 27, 2009
It is high time Naija Federal Troops stopped that insensitive action and declare a ceasefire because these boys knows the creeks terrain better than JTF. MEND might laugh last and make nonsense of Nigeria defence superiority claim in the African continent. Let us learn from d war in Afghanistan and Iraq. US is not winning the war rather their economy was battered by it. presently, our oil export has been affected by 50%.
Re: Niger Delta: Is Their Solution In Sight? by jimmysho(m): 8:17pm On May 27, 2009
becomerich, pls dont trivialize this discussion onb the yoruba\hausa\igbo debate. pls pardon me, but the truth is the issue is very sensitive than what we are seeing now
Re: Niger Delta: Is Their Solution In Sight? by rasputinn(m): 10:03pm On May 29, 2009
Is there solution in sight,not is their
Re: Niger Delta: Is Their Solution In Sight? by mccloud224(m): 11:12pm On May 29, 2009
Hmm, tough topic.

I'm not inclined to violence but if 50% of nigeria should take up the cause and be militant like the ND boys, nigeria will be like France in the next 10 years (i'm not talking about the kidnapping for ransom part but taking action in ways other than dialogue).

Why do i say this?The nigerian slave masters have let us understand that they don't give a hoot about anyone either here or abroad except their own pockets.Several years back, a man called Ken Saro Wiwa took up the cause of the niger delta in a diplomatic manner.What became of him?He was hung to death.The ND boys fully understand the mentality of our so called leaders and the only thing they understand is force and that is exactly what they are applying.

It's easy for some people here to condemn the ND boys but please ask yourselves this question.If the oil producing region was the north, do you think nigeria would still exist as it is?I mean imagine if there was no oil in the south, and the northerns were the ruling class and their people wanted to keep their oil, do you think they would send soldiers to kill their own?

Abeg, make una open una sense.This is the greatest injustice.
Re: Niger Delta: Is Their Solution In Sight? by stanorah: 11:48pm On May 29, 2009
We all have to believe whether we like it or not that the Niger Delta issue is a national issue. First and for most i will like to let you know that i am from Delta state, not just from Delta state, but from the area this golden egg is laid. So you can see no sentiments.But i want to ask, is we taking arms is really what is going to solve our problem? I will be honest with you, the little development that will come to this area has been waived by tha activities of this militants. To the best of my knowledge, this militants are not doing what they are doing because they have the masses at heart, NO, they are doing that because of their own selfish interest. Militancy has become a very big business in Nigeria, imagine the formal NNPC GMD said he spent billions of Naira settling militants, If it is true, what did the militants do with the money? did they build school or road or hopital for the masses. My guy, let us tell ourselves the truth militancy is not the solution to Niger Delta problem.
Re: Niger Delta: Is Their Solution In Sight? by mccloud224(m): 12:01am On May 30, 2009
@Stanorah

I agree with you that things aren't going well there but let me ask you something.Some great names have taken up the fight for the niger delta in the past through peaceful and diplomatic means.What became of them?You're from the Delta right?So you must know about what happened to Ken Saro Wiwa.These boys decided to take up arms because they realised that the government isn't willing to do anything to help them even in the next 200 years.That's the truth.

Now, concerning the governors and other leaders of the niger delta?They are no better than the tyrants ruling nigeria and they wouldn't be there if they weren't loyal to the ruling class and if you ask me, i think part of their motto is to ensure that poverty reigns in the region.I mean think about it, they are willing to spend billions settling the militants whereas if they use that money to develop the region, EVEN THE PEOPLE OF THE AREA WILL DRIVE OUT THE MILITANTS THEMSELVES coz their lives are being improved and they want the good life.

Let me tell you something,even if the ND boys surrender themselves and the leaders of the area want diplomacy, all they will get from government is talk,talk,talk and if the talk becomes to much, it will turn to threats,threats,threats and sending of soldiers to "let them know who is boss".

Nigeria is not going anywhere, at least not in the next 20-50 years (Until the oil in the region finishes and they start mining in the west, there is oil there you know, why havent they tapped into that yet?Ask yourself).Then you will start hearing all sorts of big english.
Re: Niger Delta: Is Their Solution In Sight? by SapeleGuy: 10:14am On May 30, 2009
mccloud224:

@Stanorah

I agree with you that things aren't going well there but let me ask you something.Some great names have taken up the fight for the niger delta in the past through peaceful and diplomatic means.What became of them?You're from the Delta right?So you must know about what happened to Ken Saro Wiwa.These boys decided to take up arms because they realised that the government isn't willing to do anything to help them even in the next 200 years.That's the truth.

Now, concerning the governors and other leaders of the niger delta?They are no better than the tyrants ruling nigeria and they wouldn't be there if they weren't loyal to the ruling class and if you ask me, i think part of their motto is to ensure that poverty reigns in the region.I mean think about it, they are willing to spend billions settling the militants whereas if they use that money to develop the region, EVEN THE PEOPLE OF THE AREA WILL DRIVE OUT THE MILITANTS THEMSELVES coz their lives are being improved and they want the good life.

Let me tell you something,even if the ND boys surrender themselves and the leaders of the area want diplomacy, all they will get from government is talk,talk,talk and if the talk becomes to much, it will turn to threats,threats,threats and sending of soldiers to "let them know who is boss".

Nigeria is not going anywhere, at least not in the next 20-50 years (Until the oil in the region finishes and they start mining in the west, there is oil there you know, why havent they tapped into that yet?Ask yourself).Then you will start hearing all sorts of big english.

Excellent points. When the oil finishes, their intention is for the area to be a waste land. We can not allow this scorched earth policy to continue.
Re: Niger Delta: Is Their Solution In Sight? by otokx(m): 11:23am On May 30, 2009
that's why some MEND guys are blowing up the pipelines; at least they will not say the guys cut the pipeline to siphon and sell the product. They blow it up and the oil guy have to shut it in and leave it there till a more opportune time.
Re: Niger Delta: Is Their Solution In Sight? by jimmysho(m): 7:41pm On May 30, 2009
stanorah:

imagine the formal NNPC GMD said he spent billions of Naira settling militants, If it is true, what did the militants do with the money? did they build school or road or hopital for the masses. My guy, let us tell ourselves the truth militancy is not the solution to Niger Delta problem.

So times, i read with amusement the comments of some of us on this thread.

How do you expect an organization that has been declared by the state a faceless group or enemy to engage in development work of their region?

Which company will be ready to accept such contract from the militant that the federal agent will not charge for felony or conniving with enemies to paint the govt black?

Is the govt not black in the sight of nigerians already?

Re: Niger Delta: Is Their Solution In Sight? by jimmysho(m): 7:49pm On May 30, 2009
mccloud224:

It's easy for some people here to condemn the ND boys but please ask yourselves this question.If the oil producing region was the north, do you think nigeria would still exist as it is?I mean imagine if there was no oil in the south, and the northerns were the ruling class and their people wanted to keep their oil, do you think they would send soldiers to kill their own?

it is not news that the north will support a divided naija than one Nigeria as always chorused by the SENIOR ALMAJIRIS we have here in the north
Re: Niger Delta: Is Their Solution In Sight? by jimmysho(m): 8:18pm On May 30, 2009
mccloud224:

I

am a man of dialogue to the marrow but I do not see the occupant of Aso Rock dialoguing, what they understand is force and the impoverished should be ready to give them their demand in full dose or ration

(1) (2) (Reply)

Governor Lamido Releases His Prisoner After Chains Of Insults And Curses. / Maku's Good Governance Tour Is A SCAM ~ ACN / Do You Have A Clue Of This Project At Iwo Road Ibadan (pic)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.