Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,175,738 members, 7,895,624 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 July 2024 at 02:26 PM

Sanusi Set For CBN- •‘it’s Not Going To Be Business As Usual’ - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Sanusi Set For CBN- •‘it’s Not Going To Be Business As Usual’ (8588 Views)

No More Business As Usual, Buhari Warns / Even If PDP Shows Video Of Tinubu/Buhari Robbing CBN, It Won't Change Our Minds / Emir Sanusi Set To Take 17-Year-Old Girl As Fourth Wife (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Sanusi Set For CBN- •‘it’s Not Going To Be Business As Usual’ by 9child(f): 1:27am On Jun 02, 2009
@biina
just let it rest @archemedes has said it all
Re: Sanusi Set For CBN- •‘it’s Not Going To Be Business As Usual’ by biina: 1:32am On Jun 02, 2009
OYB_MEND:

well it seems funny because you dont get it

These folks think ahead of you

Making charity donations with public money in a organisation where you have friends is a classical of diverting public funds

because after all the charade and public show of donations what actually happens to the fund is hardly tracked by members of the public

People are allowed to donate their Private Money where they like, but to donate an organisation's money to your own friends is dodgy

Nigerians dont know the various schemes of the corrupt
So all those silicon valley companies like Ciisco, HP, Yahoo, Google, Nvidia, Nike, and Co that make donations to Stanford University where most of the CEOs graduated from are guilty of corruption?
Past FBN directors should be questioned over the N50 million multipurpose auditorium for UI as Moyo Ajekigbe is an alumnus of the school?
You are yet to show how Sanusi, or any close associate of his, benefited from the donation.
please stop looking for financial ghosts. Corrupt leaders don't need to jump through hoops to embezzle money.
Re: Sanusi Set For CBN- •‘it’s Not Going To Be Business As Usual’ by biina: 1:33am On Jun 02, 2009
9child:

@biina
just let it rest @archemedes has said it all
undecided
Re: Sanusi Set For CBN- •‘it’s Not Going To Be Business As Usual’ by moneygurl: 1:41am On Jun 02, 2009
OYB_MEND:

well it seems funny because you dont get it

These folks think ahead of you

Making charity donations with public money in a organisation where you have friends is a classical of diverting public funds

because after all the charade and public show of donations what actually happens to the fund is hardly tracked by members of the public

People are allowed to donate their Private Money where they like, but to donate an organisation's money to your own friends is dodgy

Nigerians dont know the various schemes of the corrupt

How do you know any of his friend work in the school now?

It was company money that went to a school. Do you have prove that the money is currently not been used for the purpose the money was donated? did you visit kaduna and see it for yourself?

If we are going by your rational then all this CEO's of BofA, Citigroup, Goldman, etc are doing something corrupt. Because all this CEO's donate to their University Alma-mater using company money. The thing is that its not wrong as far as its money meant for social responsibility, it just the schools luck that they had a successful Alumni.
Re: Sanusi Set For CBN- •‘it’s Not Going To Be Business As Usual’ by agabaI23(m): 1:46am On Jun 02, 2009
I have never seen Brash this passionate.

I am sure he knows someone who knows someone who knows someone . . . . who knows someone who knows him.

The piety with which he has followed this thread can only be seen in his performances in the romace section not in politics. Brash?
Re: Sanusi Set For CBN- •‘it’s Not Going To Be Business As Usual’ by JJCLondon: 2:17am On Jun 02, 2009
Guys, can I 'round' this up if I may? And apologies for the ‘broken english’, body tire smiley

@Moneygurl, as usual thanks for being first past the post in terms of informing NLs with this very relevant financial news, please keep it coming jare wink

@Biina, ur analysis is excellent, portrayal & insights are very good and I think my mum who herself is a central banker (director-level) would be impressed. Dis to more ''business instead of games''…naija needs more!

@OYB MEND – abeg be wary of difference between ‘fact’ & ‘emotion/opinion’ na cheesy

Mr Crackles has done his research, so I concur with d words that having met & worked with him personally, albeit briefly, Mr Lamido Sanusi on first impressions, is indeed a quiet, easy going soft-spoken (yes with an English accent) man and a professional to the core – and I don’t say that about most people I have had the priviledge of working with – they’re mostly like ‘marmite’, you either love ‘em or hate ‘em!

So, with his appointment, who knows, wot next? Personally, I see maybe more bank ‘exposure’ in the news, necessitating a shrinking from 25 banks to about 10 well-defined world reknowned ‘mega banks’, which wouldn’t be a bad idea, leaving behind a sound & even healthier system, post-dis global recession which wasn’t our fault. Who knows eh All na speculation…

As for the GBP80,000 / N20m, I don’t personally manage his money, but that is ‘peanuts’ considering that, amongst bankers generally, (Moneygurl & Biina can prove me wrong) when u reach a certain ‘level’, legitimate money-earning deals requiring investment (both within & outside d system) do come your way, and that’s a given in naija i think. So even if it’s not FBN C-S-R (Corp Social Resp) money, it’s most def his money, but of course as with all things on nairaland, it’s subject to ur interpretation – people say NLs are cynical, don’t really know if this is wot dey mean by that?

And as for this is as a very tried and tested way of looting public money, ''donate public money to charity organisations or charity courses where you have friends'' – I have learnt something new on NL o, to keep in mind when next I am giving to ‘charity’, Not! grin

I really do have the mind of sending this to him as a link, apart from congratulatory ones, to partly promote our famous ‘nairaland’, which has been very useful with regards to my own resettlement plans in the motherlan’, as well as to prepare him for the ‘’task’’ that lies ahead – no be our people say ‘’uneasy lies the head that wears the crown’’? It's always good to know what real people think about you & your policies, away from the board room

If I may add, there is a huge gap between the quality of leadership in the public & private sector which requires qualified & experienced professionals as these two men from the private sector/ academia to fill, which helps produce quality decision making & policy formulation, so that everyone benefits - This is what Naija needs. So whilst we laud Mr Soludo’s appointment/ achievements, like Arogbowei says ‘good luck to the next man’! cool smiley

Leaders are not necessarily the best at all given tasks, but they do know how to ''bring the best out of others''…if we can put this at the fore of our minds, then, whenever we also find ourselves tomorrow in such positions of leadership, instead of seeing panick or an opportunity for largesse, let’s work well with our team, to hopefully produce the best/ optimal results, which is what the country /those depending on us needs

Am hoping we’ll concur with most if not all of the above

I rest my case o, and leave the rest for una to fire on if you will

Thank you for listening and good night y’all - u guys are worth my time anyday, especially on topical issues such as these! smiley

N.B: In life, most arguments aren’t logical, they are often psychological; that is, two people can very well see an ‘old lady’ & a ‘pretty woman’ from the same picture, it’s all down to our ‘’interpretation /point of view’’
Re: Sanusi Set For CBN- •‘it’s Not Going To Be Business As Usual’ by Jarus(m): 10:33am On Jun 02, 2009
Let me comment on a number of issues raised here for or against Sanusi's choice:

N20m Donation
What's the big deal in this? An MD of an organization as big as FBN made a paltry N20million(yes, to his alma mater) and that's been made an issue here. The issue that could have arisen is:Did the board approve it? I don't know FBN's GMD's approval limit but I'm very sure his approval limit will not be less than N50milion. Let's even say he can't solely approve such an amount, is there any evidence to show the highest approval authority(the board) did not approve it. N20million for that matter. On the issue of the donation being to his alma mater, that too is very much in order too. It would have been a different case if it had been to his personal/family/associate's school. Organizations make donations, as his alma mater is as deserving of it as any other school.

Sanusi's competence
I would have actually wanted someone with reasonable experience in international finance as CBN Governor, given the increasing interconnectedness of global economy. That would have been a plus, but definitely not a prerequisite. Soludo came from academia, but with robust experience in international financial consultancy. Okonjo Iweala,Oby Ekweziele(or what's her name?), Ogunjimi are all foreign-grown.
A totally home-grown Sanusi is not a bad idea, actually. We cannot write him off. The only noise about his appointment was on Federal character[ all our key economy Managers(Shamsudeen,Muktar and now Sanusi) are from Kano]. I have not heard any key commentator on the economy raising objection about his competence or past. Rather, informed analysts have attested to his strong inclination to ethical banking. He's been said to be Nigeria's current best brain in Risk management.

My only fear for him is that he will be benchmarked against Soludo. I doubt if he can be as visible and vocal as Soludo, even though 'more talk' has not been known to translate to more performance, but will Nigerians want to hear this?

PS: Soludo had his first degree in Economics(1984), Sanusi also in Economics(1981); Soludo Msc Economics(1987), Sanusi Msc Economics(1983).
I have my first degree in Economics too, but now an Accountant(even though it's just a temporary career diversion). I'm seriously considering going back to the Financial sector and making use of my Economics knowledge too. I continue to like that field everyday!!!!
Re: Sanusi Set For CBN- •‘it’s Not Going To Be Business As Usual’ by dominictj(m): 10:46am On Jun 02, 2009
we no want talk talk without action o
Re: Sanusi Set For CBN- •‘it’s Not Going To Be Business As Usual’ by Pepeye(f): 11:00am On Jun 02, 2009
agabaI23:

I have never seen Brash this passionate.

I[b] am sure he knows someone who knows someone who knows someone . . . . who knows someone who knows [/b] him.

The piety with which he has followed this thread can only be seen in his performances in the romace section not in politics. Brash?

Understandably so . . there must be something in the offing wink
Re: Sanusi Set For CBN- •‘it’s Not Going To Be Business As Usual’ by paddycool(m): 11:05am On Jun 02, 2009
How many are we in Nigeria? How can the nations economic team be made up of north central origin- Kano state. Do we lack intellectuals from other zones of this country? Or does it mean that Sanusi is the only intelligent and qualified Nigerian to be appointed? Is Minister of finance not from the same state with Sanusi? Where is the national qouta? For instance the chairman of federal housing authority is Mr banabas Gemade while his son is the managing director of the same agency. This means the board meeting will be held in their Parlour. Why trusting a whole nation economic team to the same family- same state, same north central? If Sanusi must be appointed , let others go; The minister of finance, the minister of planing and housing . They are all from the same state. The federal character and/or the national qouta must be preserved.
Re: Sanusi Set For CBN- •‘it’s Not Going To Be Business As Usual’ by luvinhubby(m): 12:47pm On Jun 02, 2009
They simply want a mallam that will re-introduce the Arabic inscriptions that Soludo graciously removed from our Naira. (5, 10, 20 & 50 naira) wink wink wink
Re: Sanusi Set For CBN- •‘it’s Not Going To Be Business As Usual’ by DisGuy: 12:59pm On Jun 02, 2009
what would have been the reaction if the guy was not from the othe side of river niger?
Re: Sanusi Set For CBN- •‘it’s Not Going To Be Business As Usual’ by larrytuche: 1:02pm On Jun 02, 2009
Contribute to CBN Governor Nominee Profile @

impactorsonline..com

What makes him qualified.

Best contribution gets 500 naira recharge card.
Re: Sanusi Set For CBN- •‘it’s Not Going To Be Business As Usual’ by Remii(m): 1:19pm On Jun 02, 2009
paddycool:

How many are we in Nigeria? How can the nations economic team be made up of north central origin- Kano state. Do we lack intellectuals from other zones of this country? Or does it mean that Sanusi is the only intelligent and qualified Nigerian to be appointed? Is Minister of finance not from the same state with Sanusi? Where is the national qouta? For instance the chairman of federal housing authority is Mr banabas Gemade while his son is the managing director of the same agency. This means the board meeting will be held in their Parlour. Why trusting a whole nation economic team to the same family- same state, same north central? If Sanusi must be appointed , let others go; The minister of finance, the minister of planing and housing . They are all from the same state. The federal character and/or the national qouta must be preserved.
The Nigeria security is under South South right now, Chief of Defence Staff, IG and VP are from South South What do you make of that? Sack them even if they qualify?
Re: Sanusi Set For CBN- •‘it’s Not Going To Be Business As Usual’ by Jarus(m): 3:24pm On Jun 02, 2009
paddycool:

Hey bros, when you criticize, do so with informed facts.
Kano is not North central. It's officially grouped as North West. Let's even assume you want to talk freely, ignoring official classifications, 'core north' would have been a better description.
Second, Gemade's brother, not son is the MD of FHA.

Now to the points you raised, I personally think merit should override Federal Character in national appointments, but in a country that is very sensitive as ours, I don't disagree with Federal character, but competence should not be toyed with. If the office is zoned to the South, get the most competent from the South, if zoned to North to the North, get the best from there. Sanusi is arguably the best from the north. Anyone recall that Soludo(CBN Guv), Iweala(Finance Minister) and other key managers of our economy under Obj were all from South East?
Re: Sanusi Set For CBN- •‘it’s Not Going To Be Business As Usual’ by Jarus(m): 3:27pm On Jun 02, 2009
Dis Guy:

what would have been the reaction if the guy was not from the othe side of river niger?
A genuis in the saddle grin
Re: Sanusi Set For CBN- •‘it’s Not Going To Be Business As Usual’ by dominictj(m): 7:09pm On Jun 02, 2009
gbem
Re: Sanusi Set For CBN- •‘it’s Not Going To Be Business As Usual’ by MrCrackles(m): 7:22pm On Jun 02, 2009
luvinhubby:

They simply want a mallam that will re-introduce the Arabic inscriptions that Soludo graciously removed from our Naira. (5, 10, 20 & 50 naira) wink wink wink

What is this slowpoke talking about?
Re: Sanusi Set For CBN- •‘it’s Not Going To Be Business As Usual’ by Affalatus: 8:13pm On Jun 02, 2009
Sanusi will do better than Soludo because i will stand by him and support him once he holds onto truth. As for Soludo i am still hunting him down he must pay for his crimes. He must be exposed. His web of Murder and deceit must be unwoven.

I pity his wife and children suddenly like a hawk i will strike their lying, killing benefactor by the grace of Almighty God i will succeed.
Re: Sanusi Set For CBN- •‘it’s Not Going To Be Business As Usual’ by adigun101: 8:55pm On Jun 02, 2009
BACK TO BUSINESS AS USUAL

From my own point of perspective this thread should be duely named "Sanusi Set For CBN- •‘it’s Going To Be Business As Usual’"
It is sad that Nigeria takes steps backwards under the watch of every Nigerian.
When Soludo was appointed Governor of the central bank did anyone remember that this was the first step in the trend of appointing seasoned/technocrat economists as CBN governors.
Can someone have a look at the profile of central \Reserve bank heads including Alan Greenspan, Ben Bernanke, Sir Edward George , Mervyn King etc
Even that of Dr. Paul A. Acquah (bank of Ghana)
NONE of them had professional banking experience but where sound economists mostly in academia.
Soludo fell into that group and that is why for the first time we had a central bank governor that actually had an impact aside having his signature on the naira.
You need to do some research to find out why academicians/technocrats are more suited for the job.
Sanusi guy might be an excellent banker but why is our situation so perculiar. Is it that we are different or cursed !

And to know that the president on many occasions commended Soludo for a job well done and still replaced him after bowing to cronies BEATS ME !
The fact that he replaced a CBN governor who now has a global role BEATS ME !
The fact that he was so compelled to do it at this point in time of global recession BEATS ME !
The fact that the choice of this nations economic decision makers is completely exposed to political turbulence and sentiments (such as zoning CBN governor) BEATS ME !
What are we going to have next, a party card carrying CBN governor ?
Nigeria, when are we going rise up from mediocrity and underachievement.
Re: Sanusi Set For CBN- •‘it’s Not Going To Be Business As Usual’ by OYBMEND: 9:08pm On Jun 02, 2009
adigun101:

BACK TO BUSINESS AS USUAL

From my own point of perspective this thread should be duely named "Sanusi Set For CBN- •‘it’s Going To Be Business As Usual’"
It is sad that Nigeria takes steps backwards under the watch of every Nigerian.
When Soludo was appointed Governor of the central bank did anyone remember that this was the first step in the trend of appointing seasoned/technocrat economists as CBN governors.
Can someone have a look at the profile of central \Reserve bank heads including Alan Greenspan, Ben Bernanke, Sir Edward George , Mervyn King etc
Even that of Dr. Paul A. Acquah (bank of Ghana)
NONE of them had professional banking experience but where sound economists mostly in academia.
Soludo fell into that group and that is why for the first time we had a central bank governor that actually had an impact aside having his signature on the naira.
You need to do some research to find out why academicians/technocrats are more suited for the job.
Sanusi guy might be an excellent banker but why is our situation so perculiar. Is it that we are different or cursed !

And to know that the president on many occasions commended Soludo for a job well done and still replaced him after bowing to cronies BEATS ME !
The fact that he replaced a CBN governor who now has a global role BEATS ME !
The fact that he was so compelled to do it at this point in time of global recession BEATS ME !
The fact that the choice of this nations economic decision makers is completely exposed to political turbulence and sentiments (such as zoning CBN governor) BEATS ME !
What are we going to have next, a party card carrying CBN governor ?
Nigeria, when are we going rise up from mediocrity and underachievement.

The President removed a successuf CBN Governor installed one of his kinsman as he has done in other top financial positions of Finance Ministry and Planning Ministry and then turns arround to lecture everyone else to shun tribalism and support his actions.

Talk about American Republican Hipocrisy
Re: Sanusi Set For CBN- •‘it’s Not Going To Be Business As Usual’ by Nobody: 9:52pm On Jun 02, 2009
Jarus:

Hey bros, when you criticize, do so with informed facts.
Kano is not North central. It's officially grouped as North West. Let's even assume you want to talk freely, ignoring official classifications, 'core north' would have been a better description.
Second, Gemade's brother, not son is the MD of FHA.

Now to the points you raised, I personally think merit should override Federal Character in national appointments, but in a country that is very sensitive as ours, I don't disagree with Federal character, but competence should not be toyed with. If the office is zoned to the South, get the most competent from the South, if zoned to North to the North, get the best from there. Sanusi is arguably the best from the north. Anyone recall that Soludo(CBN Guv), Iweala(Finance Minister) and other key managers of our economy under Obj were all from South East?

Get your facts right

Okonjo Iweala is of the South South, while Soludo is of the South East . . . . that apart they are by no means from the same State.
Besides that other prominent members of the economic team include the FCT Minister headed by Nasir El-Rufai, while other positions down South under the OBJ Era have moved North . . . . those that were in the North have not moved South and that has been the story of this administration.

I think I am happy with Sanusi as CBN Governor but to ensure that the President is not brazenly disregarding the constitution, The Senate need to either abolish Section 14(3) of the constitution or the President should fire his Finance Minister.

The CBN Governor and Finance Minister should not come from the same state in a country of 36 States so long as Federal Character is still enshrined in our constitution.

People need to be careful here, this country fought a brutal civil war for 3years because of lack of trust. The idea that when Yar'adua conveins a National Financial meeting at the top level only people from 2 neighbouring states of the 36 will be attending is troubling. It is even more troubling that the President comes from one of these 2 states.

PRESIDENT YAR'ADUA SHOULD BE CAREFUL NOT TO LEAD THE COUNTRY INTO A DITCH.
Re: Sanusi Set For CBN- •‘it’s Not Going To Be Business As Usual’ by Remii(m): 9:53pm On Jun 02, 2009
OYB_MEND:

The President removed a successuf CBN Governor installed one of his kinsman as he has done in other top financial positions of Finance Ministry and Planning Ministry and then turns arround to lecture everyone else to shun tribalism and support his actions.

OYB_MEND: Soludo was not removed, he completed his five years term. Renewal is  prerogative of the presidency. Wake up man.
Re: Sanusi Set For CBN- •‘it’s Not Going To Be Business As Usual’ by MrCrackles(m): 10:01pm On Jun 02, 2009
OYB_MEND:

You are still wallowing in your own poo since yesterday? shocked

Pathetic!
Re: Sanusi Set For CBN- •‘it’s Not Going To Be Business As Usual’ by pheebs: 7:14am On Jun 03, 2009
It is disheartening how our leaders continually rape and suck away whatever is good out of the country in the name of nepotism.
We have refused to take a cue from developed countries, though their systems are not perfect, they always manage to make things work.
How is it possible that a country can be governed without direction or purpose and noone is held accountable for it! 
There is only so much we can take
Re: Sanusi Set For CBN- •‘it’s Not Going To Be Business As Usual’ by biina: 7:21am On Jun 03, 2009
pheebs:

It is disheartening how our leaders continually rape and suck away whatever is good out of the country in the name of nepotism.
We have refused to take a cue from developed countries, though their systems are not perfect, they always manage to make things work.
How is it possible that a country can be governed without direction or purpose and noone is held accountable for it! 
There is only so much we can take
and your point being? undecided
Re: Sanusi Set For CBN- •‘it’s Not Going To Be Business As Usual’ by sunmatajai: 11:08am On Jun 03, 2009
Nigeria's economy could be aptly described as most promising, if this is managed well by our
leaders including those in charge and control of financial instituitions in Nigeria. If going by merit
Sanusi meet it, he should be allowed to go for this position.
Cheer.

Ajailomo
Re: Sanusi Set For CBN- •‘it’s Not Going To Be Business As Usual’ by adigun101: 12:29pm On Jun 03, 2009
sunmatajai:

If going by merit Sanusi meet it, he should be allowed to go for this position.
Cheer.

Ajailomo

See the qualifications of renowned central bank governors in Europe, UK and the US.
Soludo was so up to scratch and was a genius.
Sanusi is alright but is just a proffessional banker.
PROFFESSIONAL BANKERS SHOULD'T RUN CENTRAL RESERVE BANKS.
I thought we got over this in 2004 when Soludo was appointed.
Looking at his resume, there are thousands of individual qualified to run CBN.
Central Banks are run by whizes and tacit Economics not this light weight Sanusi !
Re: Sanusi Set For CBN- •‘it’s Not Going To Be Business As Usual’ by adigun101: 12:38pm On Jun 03, 2009
I thought common sense will prevail and Yaradua would hold unto Soludo.
Now we are going to loose his services once again to world bank and united nations !
We've lost Okonjo Iweala and Oby Ezekesili because of petty politics.
Now we've also lost this guy.
Do we just prefer mediocrity in Nigeria ?
Re: Sanusi Set For CBN- •‘it’s Not Going To Be Business As Usual’ by dominictj(m): 1:12pm On Jun 03, 2009
Sanusi dosent have the capacity to confused these half baked senators who keep asking stupid questions and in the process prolonging the final verdict on whether he is competent enough to head the apex bank or not.
I remembered in 2004 when Soludo faced the senate scrutiny, he confused them with economic terms each time a question was thrown before him and the session ended without out much delay.
I beg carry that fulani man commot jo, make e go rear cattle
Re: Sanusi Set For CBN- •‘it’s Not Going To Be Business As Usual’ by Nobody: 1:22pm On Jun 03, 2009
I HOPE FROM NOW ON A MINISTERIAL APPOINTEES WILL BE GRILLED ON LIVE TV LIKE THIS

THE SENATE ALSO HAS A DUTY TO ENSURE THAT ALL APPOINTEES HAVE PORTFOLIO ALLOCATED TO THEM BEFORE CLEARANCE

BECAUSE IF THIS GRILLING WAS DONE INITIALLY WE WONT BE IN THIS CONSTITUTIONAL MESS

FEDERAL CHARACTER WOULD NOT HAVE BEEN A ISSUE WHEN A MAN LIKE SANUSI IS APPOINTED
Re: Sanusi Set For CBN- •‘it’s Not Going To Be Business As Usual’ by Meldrick(m): 1:29pm On Jun 03, 2009
'' It's not going to be Buisness as usual''. Sanusi

Was there any unusual buisness? Good work is what Nigerians want not rhetorics. He has to realize the expectations are high especially after Soludo's performance.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Arc. Darius Dickson Ishaku Has Won The Governor In Taraba State / Nimet In Frantic Move To Rescue Nine Kidnapped Workers / Bisexuals Running For President In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.