Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,182 members, 7,887,432 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 08:49 AM

Nigerians Don't Like PDA? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Nigerians Don't Like PDA? (14623 Views)

Help! My Parents Want Me To Marry Someone I Don't Like. / Any Lady Or Guy Who Doesn't Like PDA Is A Hypocrite / Nigerians Don't Care About Flat Stomachs? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians Don't Like PDA? by Nobody: 12:06am On Dec 09, 2015
Ahem The romance section is either perverted or extremely boring these days, so I don come again with another one. grin

Anyways, one summer like this about 5 or 6 years ago, I was traipsing the streets of Lagos with my cousin. I was JJC (Justina Just Come grin) at the time and he was taking me to see his friends and buy things and all the stuff people do when they just get back to Lagos.
Of course since I'm more delicate than a plucked flower grin, the noise and insanity of Lagos traffic was really frightening to the baby me; I thought I would fall inside gutter or infront of a speeding okada man cry so my big cousin grabbed my hand and was leading me as we walked.
When we got to where alot of people were tho, he removed my hand from his and told me:
"Nigerians don't like people holding hands. It looks like PDA, and Nigerians don't like PDA".

So besides the fact that I almost fell inside gutter twice on our journey grin the comment he made stuck with me. Even when I had entered sec school, I was always careful not to hold anyone's hand or be wrapping myself all over anyone in public lest some market woman start throwing water at me or trying to beat me. To date I think the worst thing I have done in public in Lagos, is hugged someone. Cause I dey fear no be small grin
Finally, my question:
Why do we as Nigerians hate PDA (public displays of affection) and do you gather enough liver to for example, kiss in the street, in broad daylight?

cc: friedplantain
misspicy
punkyveer
iamlegend1
decker
lalasticlala embarassed
cutehector
nubian113
ipledge10
yourmain
naijaboiy
michellla
kashybaby
kingtom cry
teempakguy
jolllyjoy
etc etc please contribute wink
Re: Nigerians Don't Like PDA? by Nobody: 12:07am On Dec 09, 2015
lipsrsealed
I'll comment when it's on FP
Re: Nigerians Don't Like PDA? by Cutehector(m): 12:07am On Dec 09, 2015
MrsPhyno:
Ahem so I know you guys missed my argumentative topics, and the romance section is either perverted or extremely boring these days, so I don come again with another one. You're all welcome grin

Anyways, one summer like this about 5 or 6 years ago, I was traipsing the streets of Lagos with my cousin. I was JJC (Justina Just Come grin) at the time and he was taking me to see his friends and buy things and all the stuff people do when they just get back to Lagos.
Of course since I'm more delicate than a plucked flower grin, the noise and insanity of Lagos traffic was really frightening to the baby me; I thought I would fall inside gutter or infront of a speeding okada man cry so my big cousin grabbed my hand and was leading me as we walked.
When we got to where alot of people were tho, he removed my hand from his and told me:
"Nigerians don't like people holding hands. It looks like PDA, and Nigerians don't like PDA".

So besides the fact that I almost fell inside gutter twice on our journey grin the comment he made stuck with me. Even when I had entered sec school, I was always careful not to hold anyone's hand or be wrapping myself all over anyone in public lest some market woman start throwing water at me or trying to beat me. To date I think the worst thing I have done in public in Lagos, is hugged someone. Cause I dey fear no be small grin
Finally, my question:
[Why do we as Nigerians hate PDA (public displays of affection) and do you gather enough liver to for example, kiss in the street, in broad daylight?

misspicy
punkyveer
iamlegend1
decker
lalasticlala embarassed
cutehector
nubian113
ipledge10
yourmain
michellla
teempakguy
op dat is even too to shy to hug in public, not to talk of holding hands cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Don't Like PDA? by Nobody: 12:09am On Dec 09, 2015
Huh?
Re: Nigerians Don't Like PDA? by Nobody: 12:09am On Dec 09, 2015
Simple. Your men are whores and can't be seen with all the side chichs grin grin so they outlawed it angry

In my humble opinion grin

MrsPhyno:
Ahem so I know you guys missed my argumentative topics, and the romance section is either perverted or extremely boring these days, so I don come again with another one. You're all welcome grin

Finally, my question:
Why do we as Nigerians hate PDA (public displays of affection) and do you gather enough liver to for example, kiss in the street, in broad daylight?

misspicy
punkyveer
iamlegend1
decker
lalasticlala embarassed
cutehector
nubian113
ipledge10
yourmain
michellla
teempakguy

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians Don't Like PDA? by Monalisa185(f): 12:13am On Dec 09, 2015
undecided
Re: Nigerians Don't Like PDA? by Cutehector(m): 12:14am On Dec 09, 2015
Nubian113:
Simple. Your men are whores and can't be seen with all the side chichs grin grin so they outlawed it angry

dnt say that... U knw nothing abt the nigerian culture
Re: Nigerians Don't Like PDA? by Nobody: 12:15am On Dec 09, 2015
Nubian113:

your opinion.

I think,it mainly because they are shy,or probably not proud of the gurl in public,like i know of a guy,who hate being seen in public with his g.f talkmore of public display of affection..

The thought of it pissed him offsad

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Don't Like PDA? by Nobody: 12:16am On Dec 09, 2015
Cutehector:

Ok. I was joking. Haha. Quit quoting up and down with your sensitive Nelly self. angry
Re: Nigerians Don't Like PDA? by Cutehector(m): 12:18am On Dec 09, 2015
Nubian113:

Ok. I was joking. Haha. Quit quoting up and down with your sensitive Nelly self. angry
alright.. I hear..
Re: Nigerians Don't Like PDA? by Nobody: 12:20am On Dec 09, 2015
Cutehector:

Plz enlighten me...is PDA against the law like in Malaysia & other Muslim countries?
Re: Nigerians Don't Like PDA? by Michellla(f): 12:20am On Dec 09, 2015
Jolllyjoy:
your opinion.

I think,it mainly because they are shy,or probably not proud of the gurl in public,like i know of a guy,who hate being seen in public with his g.f talkmore of public display of affection..

The thought of it pissed him offsad
which shy ? undecided try kissing a guy in public here in nigeria and watch them stare at you like you just killed someone.
people arent shy.they just dont do it to avoid unwarranted gawky stares
Re: Nigerians Don't Like PDA? by Cutehector(m): 12:21am On Dec 09, 2015
KashyBaby:

Plz enlighten me...is PDA against the law like in Malaysia?
no its not against the law... Its just dat some nigerians are too shy to be doin it
Re: Nigerians Don't Like PDA? by Nobody: 12:21am On Dec 09, 2015
Nigerians don't hate pda. I love it and so do most of my friends including females. The ones that don't engage in it don't do it because they are shy, not because they dislike it.

MrsPhyno, your cousin must be from a different Nigeria.
Re: Nigerians Don't Like PDA? by Nobody: 12:23am On Dec 09, 2015
I'm not a fan of PDA to be honest. I don't mind when other people do it but...
Re: Nigerians Don't Like PDA? by ipledge10(m): 12:24am On Dec 09, 2015
MrsPhyno:
Ahem The romance section is either perverted or extremely boring these days, so I don come again with another one. grin

Finally, my question:

misspicy
punkyveer
iamlegend1
decker
lalasticlala embarassed
cutehector
nubian113
ipledge10
yourmain
naijaboiy
michellla
kashybaby
kingtom cry
teempakguy
jolllyjoy
etc etc please contribute wink
mugu i do PDA ...not afraid kiss my gf on the street..I dated one AA like a year ago grin Obi'm that gal.can kiss anywhere

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Don't Like PDA? by Nobody: 12:25am On Dec 09, 2015
Michellla:

which shy ? undecided try kissing a guy in public here in nigeria and watch them stare at you like you just killed someone.

And why is that? What about married ppol? Are they avoiding PDA too?
Re: Nigerians Don't Like PDA? by naijaboiy: 12:25am On Dec 09, 2015
That is a very big lie o.

The kind of things i've seen nigerians doing in public ehn! shockedshocked

Make I nor talk. lipsrsealed
Re: Nigerians Don't Like PDA? by Nobody: 12:26am On Dec 09, 2015
@ipledge10: ashawo kobo kobo embarassed grin

@naijaboiy: examples or it didn't happen grin

@yourmain: pda like hand holding? hugs? kisses? or none of the above

@newsheriff: but u have to admit tho, our culture seems to frown it?

@nubian113: loooool

@cutehector: too shy to gini grin
Re: Nigerians Don't Like PDA? by naijaboiy: 12:26am On Dec 09, 2015
ipledge10:
mugu i do PDA ...not afraid kiss my gf on the street..I dated one AA like a year ago grin Obi'm that gal.can kiss anywhere
You come quote the whole post?
Re: Nigerians Don't Like PDA? by Nobody: 12:26am On Dec 09, 2015
Michellla:

Have you kissed a guy in public before and it attracted "unwarranted gawky eyes"?

KashyBaby:

Plz enlighten me...is PDA against the law like in Malaysia & other Muslim countries?
Muslims are against a handshake between a guy and a girl and you're talking about pda in a Muslim country? Goodluck with that.

STFUareyouGod:
lipsrsealed
This one always doesn't have anything to contribute on any thread. All he does is to look for any moniker with (f).

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians Don't Like PDA? by Nobody: 12:27am On Dec 09, 2015
Michellla:

huhhhhh really?but i see such display everyday,,..

Most people i know dnt even care if you are watching or not,,

I even learn how to kiss by watching people's display of affectioncheesycheesy(kidding)
Re: Nigerians Don't Like PDA? by naijaboiy: 12:28am On Dec 09, 2015
Nubian113:

What exactly is this supposed to mean? undecided
Re: Nigerians Don't Like PDA? by Nobody: 12:28am On Dec 09, 2015
it is against our culture. grin grin

hehe

seriously though, I think the thing is, Nigerians associate a lot of weight to public decency. we are very social in nature. since we lived in groups of small hamlets and villages before the whites colonized us. that group culture is still ingrained in us.

In a village setting, it was expected that if you wanted to do romance, do it in a hut nearby. don't fucking kiss in front of everyone.

also, we are very hypocritical, guys. grin we all know this, right?

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Don't Like PDA? by Michellla(f): 12:28am On Dec 09, 2015
KashyBaby:

And why is that? What about married ppol? Are they avoiding PDA too?
married or not.
its the way it has always been right from time.
nigerian culture/mentality.
its not against the law,but people just dont do it.
Re: Nigerians Don't Like PDA? by naijaboiy: 12:29am On Dec 09, 2015
Michellla:

Which part of the country are you in?
Re: Nigerians Don't Like PDA? by Nobody: 12:30am On Dec 09, 2015
Nigerians are too religious. Our basic ideas of how we are to act in public is majorly formed as a result of our religious and cultural incinations and belief systems. So we tend to believe in a certain amount of decency in our everyday life and we don't see this expected level of decency projected through public display of affection.

Because of this, most Nigerians tend to have this mentality of perceiving PDAs as being socially and morally wrong. Not everyone has this mentality though.

All this starts from the home, I think. 90% of Nigerian homes have one religious rooting or the other. Right from childhood the average Nigerian child is told that kissing or smooching a girl in public is wrong, and the child is forced to believe this, and as he grows, he breeds this idea.

And even when he is of age and has a mind of his own, because of his childhood upbringing and early association of PDAs as being wrong, displaying affection publicly or being intimate in public, still feels somewhat odd to him.

But few Nigerians are able to break off from this silly idea. Me for one, I don't see anything wrong with PDAs.

2 Likes 1 Share

Nubian113:

If i hear! angry

nice one tho. grin

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Don't Like PDA? by ipledge10(m): 12:30am On Dec 09, 2015
naijaboiy:

You come quote the whole post?
forgive me, my brain no dey work well around mrsphyno grin
NewSheriff:

This one always doesn't have anything to contribute on any thread. All he does is to look for any moniker with (f).
you don baf? undecided
Re: Nigerians Don't Like PDA? by Michellla(f): 12:31am On Dec 09, 2015
Jolllyjoy:
huhhhhh really?but i see such display everyday,,..

Most people i know dnt even care if you are watching or not,,

I even learn how to kiss by watching people's display of affectioncheesycheesy(kidding)

Thank God You Added "Kidding"
I For Ask If Na The Same Nigeria Me And You Dey. grin
Re: Nigerians Don't Like PDA? by Cutehector(m): 12:32am On Dec 09, 2015
MrsPhyno:
@ipledge10: ashawo kobo kobo embarassed grin

@nj: examples or it didn't happen grin

@your main: pda like hand holding? hugs? kisses? or none of the above

@newsheriff: but u have to admit tho, our culture seems to frown it?

@nubian11: loooool

@cute hector: too shy to gini grin
to shy to tap electric current grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Pic Errors Or Not. Normal Photos That Turned Out Like Sex Positions / Somali Or Ethiopian Girls? / Woman Busted By Husband On Radio Show (oh my gwad)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.