Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,311 members, 7,887,925 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 04:33 PM

Gambia Declared Islamic Republic - BBC - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Gambia Declared Islamic Republic - BBC (1585 Views)

I Heard Aregbesola Declared Islamic Holiday In Osun. / Gambia Declared Islamic Republic / Gambia Declared Islamic Republic (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Gambia Declared Islamic Republic - BBC by Sanchez01: 1:26pm On Dec 12, 2015
Gambian President Yahya Jammeh has declared his Muslim-majority country an Islamic republic, saying the move marks a break with the colonial past.

Mr Jammeh told state TV the proclamation was in line with Gambia's "religious identity and values".

He added that no dress code would be imposed and citizens of other faiths would be allowed to practise freely.

Some 90% of Gambians are Muslim. The former British colony's economy relies heavily on tourism.

However, relations with the West have soured recently.
The European Union temporarily withheld aid money to Gambia last year over its poor human rights record.

Mr Jammeh has been president of the tiny West African country for 21 years.

"As Muslims are the majority in the country, the Gambia cannot afford to continue the colonial legacy," Mr Jammeh told state TV, explaining his decision to proclaim an Islamic republic.

Other Islamic republics include Iran, Pakistan and - in Africa, Mauritania.

Mr Jammeh withdrew Gambia from the Commonwealth in 2013, describing the organisation as neo-colonial.
In 2007, he claimed to have found a herbal cure for Aids.
Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-35082343

1 Share

Re: Gambia Declared Islamic Republic - BBC by BeeBeeOoh(m): 1:27pm On Dec 12, 2015
Makai no talk dis thing wey dey my mind now oh..
Re: Gambia Declared Islamic Republic - BBC by chris4gold(m): 1:27pm On Dec 12, 2015
isokay
Re: Gambia Declared Islamic Republic - BBC by Sanchez01: 1:27pm On Dec 12, 2015
That a higher percentage of people living in The Gambia are Muslims is not enough to declare such states an Islamic Republic. African leaders and their crass mistakes.

However, relations with the West have soured recently. The European Union temporarily withheld aid money to Gambia last year over its poor human rights record.
Obviously where the problem is. Perhaps he was looking forward to getting funds from Al Qaeda or ISIS. Yahya has presented himself more as a dictator with this decision.

Cc
Lalasticlala
Mynd44

1 Like

Re: Gambia Declared Islamic Republic - BBC by MansaMoussa: 1:30pm On Dec 12, 2015
Africans and Religions! (sighs)

1 Like

Re: Gambia Declared Islamic Republic - BBC by Nobody: 1:30pm On Dec 12, 2015
Anti-Christ spirit trying to manifest through this man.
Re: Gambia Declared Islamic Republic - BBC by Tunami(m): 1:35pm On Dec 12, 2015
another isis suspect in west africa. Anyway in buhari's voice kwongratwulation to the gambians
Re: Gambia Declared Islamic Republic - BBC by mekaboy(m): 1:39pm On Dec 12, 2015
Just hope ISIS and the rest don't use the place as a base in Africa to plot and carry out attacks.

2 Likes

Re: Gambia Declared Islamic Republic - BBC by Nobody: 1:55pm On Dec 12, 2015
So Gambians didn't have any God before Allah. God punish Allah, Jesus and Yahweh for the havoc they've wreaked on this continent.

2 Likes

Re: Gambia Declared Islamic Republic - BBC by Sanchez01: 1:57pm On Dec 12, 2015
sonOfLucifer:
So Gambians didn't have any God before Allah. God punish Allah, Jesus and Yahweh for the havoc they've wreaked on this continent.
I don't get it, are there differences between Yahweh and "God"
Re: Gambia Declared Islamic Republic - BBC by Ramon92: 1:58pm On Dec 12, 2015
Religion is just like the halogens on the periodic table, they react and bind aggressively, addictive and intoxicating to the weak and oppressed. Jumping from physical slavery to mental slavery, from pot to fire. And it burns the mind in a brutal way. No wonder Africa is called the black continent....
Re: Gambia Declared Islamic Republic - BBC by Rednaxelot: 1:58pm On Dec 12, 2015
Sanchez01:

Obviously where the problem is. Perhaps he was looking forward to getting funds from Al Qaeda or ISIS. Yahya has presented himself more as a dictator with this decision.
I don't think he is looking for funds from Al Quedah or ISIS but from the organization of the Islamic nations.

How much can one describe a head of military group that came to power since 1994 and transited to a democratic head 2years later in a silly election if not a dictator?

2 Likes

Re: Gambia Declared Islamic Republic - BBC by Nobody: 2:01pm On Dec 12, 2015
Sanchez01:

I don't get it, are there differences between Yahweh and "God"
Gods are tribal.
Yahweh - Jewish
Allah - Arabic
Chineke - Igbo
Eledumare - Yoruba

God, in the general sense, is a supreme being, creator of the Universe.

Your ancestors had their Gods before Christianity or Islam were even religions.

And Gods are not one. E.g Yahweh has a Son, a belief Muslims consider blasphemy.

You can believe in a Creator, but the moment he speaks your language and reflects your culture/morals, he becomes tribal.

Unfortunately, Christianity and Islam depend on converts they were willing to invade peoples lands and force them to convert. If the Arabs had reached Igbo land first, Igbos would be Muslims.

So it's ironic for one to declare his country an Islamic Republic on the pretext of breaking out from the shackles of colonization, only to turn round and face Mecca while praying..

The chains of the mind remain as strong as ever.

1 Like

Re: Gambia Declared Islamic Republic - BBC by Blurr(m): 2:03pm On Dec 12, 2015
WTF!!!!
Re: Gambia Declared Islamic Republic - BBC by plainol(m): 2:14pm On Dec 12, 2015
Using religion as a cover up. Is Yahya Jameh more Islamic than being a politician.?
Re: Gambia Declared Islamic Republic - BBC by Chimarto: 2:23pm On Dec 12, 2015
Buhari, don't imitate him please
Re: Gambia Declared Islamic Republic - BBC by ajani1978(m): 2:27pm On Dec 12, 2015
Any human beings that is fighting for God is wasting his time, only God can fight for itself
Re: Gambia Declared Islamic Republic - BBC by EloquentMedia: 2:52pm On Dec 12, 2015
Boko haram is the aftermart of Yerimas declaration of a Sharia based North. We are watching Gambia

1 Like

Re: Gambia Declared Islamic Republic - BBC by gists: 3:01pm On Dec 12, 2015
sonOfLucifer:

Gods are tribal.
Yahweh - Jewish
Allah - Arabic
Chineke - Igbo
Eledumare - Yoruba

God, in the general sense, is a supreme being, creator of the Universe.

Your ancestors had their Gods before Christianity or Islam were even religions.

And Gods are not one. E.g Yahweh has a Son, a belief Muslims consider blasphemy.

You can believe in a Creator, but the moment he speaks your language and reflects your culture/morals, he becomes tribal.

Unfortunately, Christianity and Islam depend on converts they were willing to invade peoples lands and force them to convert. If the Arabs had reached Igbo land first, Igbos would be Muslims.

So it's ironic for one to declare his country an Islamic Republic on the pretext of breaking out from the shackles of colonization, only to turn round and face Mecca while praying..

The chains of the mind remain as strong as ever.
Although I don't like your name, truth be told, for the most part of your post, you are not far from the truth.
But their is no tribe in spirituality - God does not have tribe. Neither are angels/demons/spirits and other entities.
We as humans need to communicate with God. Unfortunately, their is no other way to do that other than our languages (local/tribal/int'l)
The fact that I use english to talk to God does not make God an english being. Same goes for other languages. In fact I am more confortable talking to Allah in english cheesy And he answers my prayers. Same applies to an Igbo guy who may prefer to talk to Yahweh in english. And yaweh or Jehova answers his prayers. Does that also make Yahweh an english being?
So God cannot be tribal.

On the topic. I don't know how he arrived at that decision. But the report suggest that he single handedly branded the country an islamic nation like a military dictator. Although the western press are very good mass programming propaganda (and as such the motive cannot always be trusted) Africa leaders are often very silly in their actions and decisions. How do you just change to being an islamic nation just because of population ration?
Re: Gambia Declared Islamic Republic - BBC by Viktor1983(m): 5:20pm On Dec 12, 2015
President for 21 years.
Trying to break colonial legacy while depending on aids from Europe

"I will develop the areas that vote for me, but if you don't vote for me, don't expect anything" -
His Excellency Sheikh Professor
Alhaji Dr. Yahya Abdul-Aziz Awal Jemus Junkung
Jammeh Naasiru Deen Babili Mansa

African leaders are funny as Fu¢k
Re: Gambia Declared Islamic Republic - BBC by tpiar: 5:35pm On Dec 12, 2015
Does this affect land matters?
Re: Gambia Declared Islamic Republic - BBC by osazeeblue01: 5:51pm On Dec 12, 2015
This is what Buhari and APC are working towards.

(1) (Reply)

FG Still Yet To Pay Federal Tertiary Hospital Workers Salaries / Shocking:two Gays Caught In The Act In Delta State (photo) / See What A Soldier Fighting Boko Haram Was Doing With Kids In Borno State(Pic)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.