Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,178,807 members, 7,905,972 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 July 2024 at 10:18 PM

Girls Worse At Math? No Way, New Analysis Shows - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Girls Worse At Math? No Way, New Analysis Shows (813 Views)

I Need Phone Numbers of Internet Users In Nigeria--Searched Google No Way!! / Lack of exposure and Illiteracy which is worse off? / Is There No Way To Permanently Delete My Account On Nairaland? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Girls Worse At Math? No Way, New Analysis Shows by amebo22: 1:03am On Jun 04, 2009
http://www.newsdaily.com/stories/tre5507qq-us-math-girls/

By Maggie Fox, Health
and Science EditorPosted 2009/06/01 at 6:55 pm EDT
WASHINGTON, June 1, 2009 (Reuters) — Girls can do just as well at math as boys -- even at the genius level -- if they are given the same opportunities and encouragement, researchers reported on Monday.
Their study, published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, contradicts studies showing girls can do as well as boys on average in math -- but cannot excel in the way males can.

They also said it is a clear rebuttal to Larry Summers, who as president of Harvard University said in 2005 that biological differences could explain why fewer women became professors of mathematics. Summers is now chairman of the Council of Economic Advisers for President Barack Obama.

"We conclude that gender inequality, not lack of innate ability or 'intrinsic aptitude', is the primary reason fewer females than males are identified as excelling in mathematics performance in most countries, including the United States," Janet Hyde and Janet Mertz of the University of Wisconsin in Madison wrote in their report.

Am curious to know you say on this article, I found it interesting,

(1) (Reply)

Female Business Dev. Executives Required / Toshmann Is Marrieeeeeeeeeed / Someone Receive Money With My Name.be Beware So You Dont Fall A Victim!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.