Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,191 members, 7,873,873 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 08:13 PM

My Bitter Experience As A Doctor Today - Health (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / My Bitter Experience As A Doctor Today (77111 Views)

12 Pointers You Might Have Heart Disease. Any Of These? See A Doctor ASAP / My Experience As An Egg Donor / What A Doctor Did When I Accompanied A Female Friend To The Hospital (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (23) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Bitter Experience As A Doctor Today by Nyceguy92: 6:27am On Dec 27, 2015
[quote author=cosmatika post=41367852]

Our people say that when the corpse of another is being conveyed to the grave, it would appear to be a mere bundle of firewood.

The accident victims could have been or were the children of well placed individuals who could afford to pay anything.
The senior doctor that gave instructions not to admit complicated the problem.
She could have come to see the wounded first. They could have been her relatives.

Here is a true life event:

A doctor was on duty at the emergency room on December 25 sometime ago,
A man was rushed in as an accident victim while driving home for the Christmas,
Doctor swung into action and when he preceded to examine, who he saw was the professor who taught him Biochemistry as a medical student.

In this GSM era, best thing would have been to start treatment, then contact relatives later.
I am certain they had phones and IDs on them.
Most emergency departments have basic drugs and consumables to "hold" patients in the initial hours pending further action.

I read/hear about millions and trillions of stolen money. Just a fraction of it will stock many hospitals.
Also the culture of donating to charity in hospitals has not caught on with us.

Readers, is there a way to bring this to the attention of the National Assembly?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Bitter Experience As A Doctor Today by ogawisdom(m): 6:29am On Dec 27, 2015
safepassage2015:
i am a dr and i dont kill people. People like you are ingrates and bad example to the society. Please next time you are sick kindly visit a babalawo near your place of residence since you believe drs are murderers. The OP is a young dr that made a mistake and is stupid enough to put it on nairaland. He will grow and learn. People like you should not generalize about drs because of this incidents. Drs risk their lives daily to save people and you come here and open your dirty mouth to call us names. Idiot!!!!

U r a morbid fool, for once I tot I will see a different doctor jst reading d post but I saw another murderer n to think u a claimed senior doctor supports this shows its normal.

If he and other doctors care abt live then they shld do sth different n save live at times like depositing their money for a helpless accident victim until his/her parents comes.

Doctors like u and op dnt have any biz with medical practice since wat u want is money, u shld b traders angry

Pathological hydra headed monster

5 Likes

Re: My Bitter Experience As A Doctor Today by GoddyMendex(m): 6:43am On Dec 27, 2015
Am a Nurse.... I don't wait for my Matron before I start saving lives.. . So why on earth should you wait for your M. O? You nr try at all.... You should have done something..... You know what am talking about...

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Bitter Experience As A Doctor Today by Analysiscorner: 6:44am On Dec 27, 2015
xreal:

you had the time to take pictures.
That's it. Had time to take pictures, but no clue on what to do.
Re: My Bitter Experience As A Doctor Today by Analysiscorner: 6:46am On Dec 27, 2015
GoddyMendex:
Am a Nurse.... I don't wait for my Matron before I start saving lives.. . So why on earth should you wait for your M. O? You nr try at all.... You should have done something..... You know what am talking about...
Nice, Bro, to know that there are still people like you.

1 Like

Re: My Bitter Experience As A Doctor Today by Analysiscorner: 6:47am On Dec 27, 2015
ogawisdom:

U r a morbid fool, for once I tot I will see a different doctor jst reading d post but I saw another murderer n to think u a claimed senior doctor supports this shows its normal.

If he and other doctors care abt live then they shld do sth different n save live at times like depositing their money for a helpless accident victim until his/her parents comes.

Doctors like u and op dnt have any biz with medical practice since wat u want is money, u shld b traders angry

Pathological hydra headed monster
Easy
Re: My Bitter Experience As A Doctor Today by driyke007(m): 6:50am On Dec 27, 2015
I've been reading all the comments and this is what I hv to say. First It's not right for a training hospital to leave a house officer alone in an ER. See its easy to read all the emergency protocol in medical school but when faced with mass casualty like the op you tend to panic. I remember my first day as a house officer in the children emergency when they brought a child fitting and paper white pale with the parents screaming I panicked and ran to call my senior. But that's the point. The registrar was there promptly acted and I watched. The right thing was for the op to commence resuscitation yeah. Do this do that sure. But I can say that cos I now know better with years of practice. The Op is feeling bad it's probably his first ER case, but as for me the senior doctor should never have left that emergency room for a house officer that is not experience. As for the Op, I will say wat the registrar told me that day " next time start setting a line first then be thinking of the next step"

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Bitter Experience As A Doctor Today by ChiefCommander(m): 6:51am On Dec 27, 2015
OP needs to be tutored on emergency medicine, medial ethics and the medicolegal aspect of medical care. The negligent Medical officer that left such a greenhorn at work deserve to pay for it, while OP himself should not be spared, for this singular act, of coming to discuss medical practice on nairaland, rather than generating enough insight to go pick up textbooks and read!! To prove it, I bet you didn't document anything for these victims, right? This license is so "loseable", that you wonder why you went through th hassle to get it. Secondly, wasn't there an emergency tray, or was it that depleted that you couldn't get basic things to stabilize and refer? If there wasn't, all of you doctors in that place ought to be rounded up and sent somewhere, where you'd be given leadership training! I hope you see thru your unwarranted and misdirected emotional outburst and learn from these snippets. Peace, out!

4 Likes

Re: My Bitter Experience As A Doctor Today by Getfun: 6:52am On Dec 27, 2015
cosmatika:
Tears run down my cheek as I type this. I went into d medical profession to Save lives, but today I watched a patient die and I could do nothing.
I want to use this medium to call on the govt to make policies dat"ll enable Drs treat patients in such condition. Let's Save the human race
Quite sad but I salute your courage and zeal, heaven knows you really wish to help, sure this particular story of yours will likely spread further, and you might b called upon to give other details of the hospital and all...pls kindly do, so those who need to get punished for giving such instructions will b, tot a bill was passed to treat accident victims first b4 demanding money and likewise gunshot wounds b4 police report, etc. God save this country, mods pls let this get to twitter and let the senate president and all others get to know how urgent this laws of ours need to be amended.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Bitter Experience As A Doctor Today by aku626(m): 6:52am On Dec 27, 2015
I'd be a poor doctor if I was one, Hod would judge us all.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Bitter Experience As A Doctor Today by Getfun: 6:53am On Dec 27, 2015
cosmatika:
Tears run down my cheek as I type this. I went into d medical profession to Save lives, but today I watched a patient die and I could do nothing.
I want to use this medium to call on the govt to make policies dat"ll enable Drs treat patients in such condition. Let's Save the human race
U tried
Re: My Bitter Experience As A Doctor Today by Laredojohn(m): 6:54am On Dec 27, 2015
cosmatika:
It was around 11am today, 26th Dec 2015, I he human race
Quite sad but I salute your courage and zeal, heaven knows you really wish to help, sure this particular story of yours will likely spread further, and you might b called upon to give other details of the hospital and all...pls kindly do, so those who need to get punished for giving such instructions will b, tot a bill was passed to treat accident victims first b4 demanding money and likewise gunshot wounds b4 police report, etc. God save this country, mods pls let this get to twitter and let the senate president and all others get to know how urgent this laws of ours need to be amended.
Re: My Bitter Experience As A Doctor Today by victorazy(m): 6:58am On Dec 27, 2015
Spanner4:
It isn't easy to be a Doc

My broda u found urself in a country that has no policies and are not even interested to hv any. Why would they have such? Wen they are ill,they fly over to Europe to get cured and leave their precious citizens to their own fate? I weep for this country

Is called ZOO
Re: My Bitter Experience As A Doctor Today by Kbraims(m): 6:59am On Dec 27, 2015
Awful...bt to d little knowledge i hav abt Kano i dnt tink dey collect money b4 treatn emergency cases!bt mayb d private hospital do so sha
Re: My Bitter Experience As A Doctor Today by Wagasigiungu(m): 7:03am On Dec 27, 2015
Touching story indeed. Took my time to read some of the comments. The facts therein:
1. The O. P. is a greenhorn in the medical profession. However this is not an excuse for any form of incompetence on his part. Why so? As the 1st H. O. on call, he should hv at least done something irrespective of any orders from above. Basic resuscitation would hv probably made a world of difference between life and death. Moreover the training of a H. O. is targeted at equipping him with the requisite knowledge & skills to keep a patient alive before the arrival of a senior colleague.
2. From what he wrote I could deduce that there were 3 Drs who ground (2 other H. O. joined him), that's more than enough temporary manpower. The O. P probably had the time to take picx of the accident victims while they were writhing in pain & @ the brink of death. He probably planned on sharing the story on NL anyways (my speculation but I maybe wrong). My point is this: during all this time they could hv simply resuscitated by checking the patients vital signs and administering some fluid resuscitation. If he was afraid of flaunting orders from above there are other steps he could hv taken below.
3. Note that some bad eggs among your senior Dr colleagues will always shy away from responsibility. They do this by always hiding under the referral system. All in an effort to avoid taking on the burden of emergency surgeries or having to closely monitor a critical patient. Will you always give in to them? It's inevitable, someday you will hv to act against orders from above in this profession.
4. You could hv helped in facilitating the patients referral. Some Drs don't want to take the initial step. You could hv taken a very brief history and written a referral note including the victims vitals. This would hv helped in ways you may not imagine.
At the referral hospital if they are unlucky to meet a Healthcare worker who is lazy or unwilling to examine and check fr vital signs, ur referral note would then give dem an indication of the urgency of the condition & the need for immediate intervention. Moreover it then becomes legally & professionally binding on them.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Bitter Experience As A Doctor Today by Onegai(f): 7:04am On Dec 27, 2015
k
dohyn:
as expected, the idiot called Cramjones has pulled up a story in the UK to back up his points. like we all don't know the difference between Nigeria and UK is night and day.
If you are who you say you are,then you should be grateful you are in a country that lets you roam the streets and not be in jail. Rabid dog. As if it's not you and your ilk that turned Nigeria to the pitiful state it is now.
Anuofia

But why are you arguing with this creature biko? It's because of people like him none of my siblings pay for patients in the hospital. They have stopped putting their own licenses and welfare on the line for ungrateful. Nigerians.

Just leave Nigeria for the typical Naija person, my brother

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Bitter Experience As A Doctor Today by Nobody: 7:09am On Dec 27, 2015
Spanner4:
It isn't easy to be a Doc

My broda u found urself in a country that has no policies and are not even interested to hv any. Why would they have such? Wen they are ill,they fly over to Europe to get cured and leave their precious citizens to their own fate? I weep for this country
After d commission of d said ultra modern hospital smewhre in Nigeria. Thesame gov dat built d hospital flew abroad fr treatment.

1 Like

Re: My Bitter Experience As A Doctor Today by Nogen: 7:10am On Dec 27, 2015
Doctor , you should have helped and saved lives first. I wept bitterly last night. Your inaction killed them and their souls may hunt you. I'm sorry. Imagine a dying person begging you to save them. Yet, you ignored them because of a mere order from above! What then is proactivenessWho is that your superior? She will never see good in her life. A woman who brings forth lives could be this mean?

For everyone here, please try and buy health insurance, you can get one from NHIS (National Health Insurance Scheme ) for 20,000 naira per annum. Get for yourself, children, parents and siblings and pick any hospital near you. At least, when one is ill, he or she can conveniently enter the hospital for treatment. May help come to us and our loved ones when we need it. Amen

1 Like

Re: My Bitter Experience As A Doctor Today by Mcowubaba: 7:10am On Dec 27, 2015
scachy:

Doesn't he earn salary? Y not use his money to make d deposit. Smh for d OP sef. The guy stingy die!!
That's just the Point i want to make...

I will not condemn or argue with him on the hospital's policies..
But on average a house officer (doctor) earns 50K-200K a month,

I wonder why the doctor couldn't use part of his money or even pledge his money-if he is not with cash at hand undecided...or maybe due to tension, inexperience, confussion it may not have crossed his mind...

I can't say much-who am I to condemn......rip to the departed

1 Like

Re: My Bitter Experience As A Doctor Today by Nobody: 7:13am On Dec 27, 2015
ccaramel:

A nurse controlling a doctor. Ridiculous! If it was your sister or mother....would you still listen to orders from above? Very painful that she died and you could have done SOMETHING angry angry

see you, sometimes we talk before thinking ...

is it a private hospital where a doc is lord of all...
in a government hospital the nurse and all can refuse to give u what is with them and u can't do anything .... they can go on strike and lock all those things up sef ... u just spoke out against some1 hu tried his best

1 Like

Re: My Bitter Experience As A Doctor Today by Generalkorex(m): 7:14am On Dec 27, 2015
And dis made me cry
Re: My Bitter Experience As A Doctor Today by Smooyis(m): 7:17am On Dec 27, 2015
It's so painful. We need change of character and ideology. We need national reorientation in this country.

Having said that, I can't really blame the doctor as a human being for we all make mistakes. For him to have put up this post shows he feels some guilt as a result of his action or inaction. That guilt is God's way of telling him that he could have done better to save the situation of one or more of the victims. May God forgive us all.

1 Like

Re: My Bitter Experience As A Doctor Today by driyke007(m): 7:18am On Dec 27, 2015
Wagasigiungu:
Touching story indeed. Took my time to read some of the comments. The facts therein:
1. The O. P. is a greenhorn in the medical profession. However this is not an excuse for any form of incompetence on his part. Why so? As the 1st H. O. on call, he should hv at least done something irrespective of any orders from above. Basic resuscitation would hv probably made a world of difference between life and death. Moreover the training of a H. O. is targeted at equipping him with the requisite knowledge & skills to keep a patient alive before the arrival of a senior colleague.
2. From what he wrote I could deduce that there were 3 Drs who ground (2 other H. O. joined him), that's more than enough temporary manpower. The O. P probably had the time to take picx of the accident victims while they were writhing in pain & @ the brink of death. He probably planned on sharing the story on NL anyways (my speculation but I maybe wrong). My point is this: during all this time they could hv simply resuscitated by checking the patients vital signs and administering some fluid resuscitation. If he was afraid of flaunting orders from above there are other steps he could hv taken below.
3. Note that some bad eggs among your senior Dr colleagues will always shy away from responsibility. They do this by always hiding under the referral system. All in an effort to avoid taking on the burden of emergency surgeries or having to closely monitor a critical patient. Will you always give in to them? It's inevitable, you will hv to act against orders from above in this profession.
4. You could hv helped in facilitating the patients referral. Some Drs don't want to take the initial step. You could hv taken a very brief history and written a referral note including the victims vitals. This would hv helped in ways you may not imagine.
At the referral hospital if they are u lucky to meet a Healthcare worker who is lazy or unwilling to examine d check fr vital signs, ur referral note would then go demand an indication of the urgency of the condition & the need for immediate intervention. Moreover it then becomes legally professionally binding on them.
read your analysis and I concur. But I still insist the senior doctor is culpable and infact in a review he would be punished. House officers towards end of their training year can handle emergencies but don't expect a HO in his first week who can't even secure an IV access properly to handle multiple trauma. The medical officer should have barked orders from the phone, come down to the ER before referral. He must have been a lazy type. Anyway I hope they have a review in the hospital about their emergency protocol.

1 Like

Re: My Bitter Experience As A Doctor Today by Wagasigiungu(m): 7:19am On Dec 27, 2015
5. Note that you don't need any orders from above to take a brief history or take vital signs. Some Drs may argue that once you touch a patient, then that patient becomes your responsibility. Bullshit!!!!
That's why most Healthcare workers refuse to even touch d patients in the first place. Life is sacrosanct.

6. I think you owe it to ur self to confront & ask the senior colleague the reason why she acted the way she did. Tell her what happened. You don't hv to be too confrontational but ask her to justify her actions to u after all you are there to learn from her.
7. I think there is still some humanity in u. Not everyone will feel d way u do. Whether it is guilt, remorse, anger, regret, empathy or whatever, I think it is commendable. Don't ever let that spirit of empathy in u die. That is ultimately what will make you stand out from ur peers in the profession.

8. Make a promise to ur self never to allow such repeat itself while u r on call. Tell ur self u will give all it takes and try all dat is humanly possible to save the next life. You won't easily be cowed by the words of ur seniors even though u know it goes against what u were taught and what u believe in.

2 Likes

Re: My Bitter Experience As A Doctor Today by yutsuf(m): 7:19am On Dec 27, 2015
That's too bad!
Wedding in 3days time... so painful, may her cute and gentle soul rest in perfect peace
Re: My Bitter Experience As A Doctor Today by bayulll01(m): 7:19am On Dec 27, 2015
klassiquette:

Now that's the greed
. They bluntly refuse to improve the health sector.. I once had the opportunity to help a lady who had an asthmatic attack.. We took her to the nearest hospital and they said they didn't have drugs the only thing they managed to do was force a lady still on asthmatic attack to drink glucose and dissolved paracetamol.. Is that the change we voted for?

as if u actually voted for change,the thing is most of our past leaders are silly and they suppose to round them up and shoot them,they av finished the country,thank your star pmb won maybe by now you wil be buying recharge card for 5k
Re: My Bitter Experience As A Doctor Today by Nobody: 7:20am On Dec 27, 2015
alpontif:
The OP should accept responsibility. Psychologically speaking, you posted this article because your conscience is truly judging you that you did not give your best.

You want to pass the blame to your Oga, and hide under "orders" from above for plain cowardice to do the right thing.

Heroes are made in impossible situations.

You have no consolation from me. It is your fault that some died. You could have made a difference.

You are a big disappointment to the profession, and humanity.

some of you talk without reasoning ...
go to a government owned hospital and ask how things are done . .. the only option was him paying for them, and who carries that kind of cash again and trust me, carry 100k and go to 1 of such emergency 1 good day, twil finish with odas needing more .... u can't pay for every1

1 Like

Re: My Bitter Experience As A Doctor Today by Nobody: 7:22am On Dec 27, 2015
bayulll01:

as if u actually voted for change,the thing is most of our past leaders are silly and they suppose to round them up and shoot them,they av finished the country,thank your star pmb won maybe by now you wil be buying recharge card for 5k
So much for the fuel I'm buying 300 naira per liter sometimes... We'll see what the"change"will be like next year
Re: My Bitter Experience As A Doctor Today by Wagasigiungu(m): 7:27am On Dec 27, 2015
driyke007:
read your analysis and I concur. But I still insist the senior doctor is culpable and infact in a review he would be punished. House officers towards end of their training year can handle emergencies but don't expect a HO in his first week who can't even secure an IV access properly to handle multiple trauma. The medical officer should have barked orders from the phone, come down to the ER before referral. He must have been a lazy type. Anyway I hope they have a review in the hospital about their emergency protocol.

Most definitely, the senior colleague is culpable and guilty of negligence of duty. In some centre's, the H. O. is not even allowed to make a decision on who to refer and who not to refer until a senior colleague has reviewed and given his input. General Hospital medical officers are notorious for this behavior of asking H. O. to refer patients without even seeing or reviewing the patients and most times, they do this via phone calling from the comfort of their homes while they should be on duty at the hospital. They love practicing what I refer to as tele-medicine, tele-diagnosis, tele-prescription, tele-resuscitation, tele-therapeutics, etc

1 Like

Re: My Bitter Experience As A Doctor Today by Tonason: 7:32am On Dec 27, 2015
Some times we go against order to save lives. You shouldn't have obeyed that useless order
Re: My Bitter Experience As A Doctor Today by murphyibiam15(m): 7:33am On Dec 27, 2015
cosmatika:
I bet u wntd to do medicine but failed, hence ur rant against Drs. So u dnt knw dat govt policies affect healthcare provision in dis country? Or u dnt knw dat d nurses re d custodians of d equipments? So if a Nurse seys I won't bring out d oxygen cylinder cos px has nt registered I'll go fight her? Use ur head
the gal is actually ignorant of the modus operandi of the govt hospitals
dats how we dictate ignorant mofos.....u tried bro..i perfectly understand how these happen
Re: My Bitter Experience As A Doctor Today by Obynolee(f): 7:34am On Dec 27, 2015
cosmatika:
It was around 11am today, 26th Dec 2015, I wz in the emergency room as the only Dr & House officer on call in a state Specialist hospital wen a peugeot wagon followed by a police van drove in. They opened d doors & trunk and started bringing out Accident victims. I did a quick triage & saw dat d 2 in d trunk were in a more critical condition, So d immediate plan was to refer d 2 to FMC wia dey hav better hands and equipment to handle it. So I asked d policeman who d driver is so dat d 2 will be rushed to FMC & he said he died at d Accident scene. I ran outside to buy airtime to start calling other HOs, b4 I could return, dey had dropped d 2 & drove off.
I called other HOs, only 2 showed up, others had travelled. To my greatest suprise, I called a medical officer who is a snr colleague in d proffession, she said I shud nt touch anyone till dey paid. That I shud Infact refer all of dem. I was incapacitated, d patients were in pains, crying, calling on us to help, some already unconscious, but we couldnt help cos we have an order frm above.
Within 5mins, 1 young lady in her early 20s died. Abt 10mins later, another police van came and carried d remaining 7 to FMC.
This evening, some road safety corps came to inquire if any Accident victims were brought to our center. They had retrieved d manifest frm d vehicle and contacted d families of d passengers. Dey came wit d relations of one of d patients, and wen I told dem 1 of dem died, dey asked for d Description of d 1 dat died and I showed dem d pix of d gal dat died, behold she was d 1 dey were looking for and right there was the gal's fiancee. Their traditional wedding was to be in 3days tym

It is a pity an i feel your pain bro but i think you will achieve little or nothing here,why don't you put these down on a paper and address it to the appropriate authority.Ministry of health(state and federal),the national assembly.It is wickedness from your superior and against the oath she took,how can an accident victim or an uncontious man make deposite before getting medical help??.Bro,you have a good cause to fight and i believe you will win.That your superior needs to pay for her crime or you can furnishe me with the details at Obynolee@gmail.com let me take it up from there.Thank you.

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (23) (Reply)

Babafemi Taiwo Studying On Remdesivir COVID-19 Drug / Angel Of Death: Dr. Josef Mengele, The Deadliest Doctor In Medical History. / Full Weight Loss Guide (read This If You Want To Lose Weight)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 104
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.