Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,192,988 members, 7,949,341 topics. Date: Sunday, 15 September 2024 at 06:57 AM

My Bitter Experience As A Doctor Today - Health (15) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / My Bitter Experience As A Doctor Today (78107 Views)

12 Pointers You Might Have Heart Disease. Any Of These? See A Doctor ASAP / My Experience As An Egg Donor / What A Doctor Did When I Accompanied A Female Friend To The Hospital (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (23) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Bitter Experience As A Doctor Today by onyxo76(m): 7:34am On Dec 27, 2015
CFCman:

The NHIS should cover all patients. Also, employers should provide health insurance for their workers. That way, hospitals are assured of payment for services, and can begin treatment as soon as the patient is brought to the hospital.
i agree with the NHIS cover but i can tell you that the whole thing is really being abused, where i work people come for all manner of things they should not even come for.
I was consulting a few days ago and a family arrived and while outside the father had already started assigning different symptoms to the family members, mind you only one of the children was ill, they just wanted to stock up their 'pharmacy' at home.

3 Likes

Re: My Bitter Experience As A Doctor Today by PipSurgeon(m): 7:35am On Dec 27, 2015
too many idiats on nairaland.... blaming the poor guy for not be adventurous enough, something medical schools dont encourage. though he has some query to answer. i wud av been glad if this rage is taken beyond this online rants and get the government to do the needful in ensuring adequate facilties and appropriate punishment for anyone found lacking in his DUTIES, BUT NOO it will just die down like dat.. How are we now Better than HIM,.. misplaced priorities..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Bitter Experience As A Doctor Today by aniokwe: 7:37am On Dec 27, 2015
I feel ur pain.is vry painful seeing someone die whn u knw u cld hav saved him or her.naija wat a country
Re: My Bitter Experience As A Doctor Today by Boss13: 7:39am On Dec 27, 2015
cosmatika:
I bet u wntd to do medicine but failed, hence ur rant against Drs. So u dnt knw dat govt policies affect healthcare provision in dis country? Or u dnt knw dat d nurses re d custodians of d equipments? So if a Nurse seys I won't bring out d oxygen cylinder cos px has nt registered I'll go fight her? Use ur head

You are a disgrace to the medical field and responsible for the death of that young lady. The highest you would have gotten was a query and even if you were sacked, you can still sue.

I wonder what they teach you people in medical school. If there are not code of ethics to abide by. What a shame, a total disgrace that you are and I am hoping that the family of the decease can read this and sue your stupid ass and that of the hospital for negligence. That was how Chaz B was also killed. Potential killers roaming and pretending to be doctors.
Re: My Bitter Experience As A Doctor Today by tiwiex(m): 7:40am On Dec 27, 2015
THUNDER4real:
God forbid: What of if the person lying down there is a sibling? will you wait for orders to act?

He will couch to pay. It's sad but these are the issues they should be resolving in NASS. Rather na salary and social media wahala dem dey talk.
Re: My Bitter Experience As A Doctor Today by PipSurgeon(m): 7:42am On Dec 27, 2015
onyxo76:
i agree with the NHIS cover but i can tell you that the whole thing is really being abused, where i work people come for all manner of things they should not even come for.
I was consulting a few days ago and a family arrived and while outside the father had already started assigning different symptoms to the family members, mind you only one of the children was ill, they just wanted to stock up their 'pharmacy' at home.

the NHIS thing is not in most centers, and the minute covered population ("Formal" the said), isnt sufficient, and its much harder to get enrolled.
they shud be a nationwide means of identification like a card, something am yet to see. and with the whole inverted pyramid stuff, a lot need to be done. it would be better is their next fits is to cover for accident emergencies, it will speak more than this "formal" class insurance they cause "National" health insurance
Re: My Bitter Experience As A Doctor Today by murphyibiam15(m): 7:43am On Dec 27, 2015
joyandfaith:

pls,next time if patientis ur sibling ignore order from above. To hell with order from above.why are doctors so timid and cowards?
e be like u be wan study medicine and ur jamb score no reach ni
sorry ooo

2 Likes

Re: My Bitter Experience As A Doctor Today by dohyn(m): 7:44am On Dec 27, 2015
safepassage2015:
what is this one talking about? I may not like cramjones but I completely agree with him on this matter. The OP is grossly incompetent and he should accept responsibility for his inaction. Cramjones pulled the UK story to show uninformed people here how serious this case could have been should the nigerian system worked properly, the OP would have been in jail. My advise to the OP is he should start taking his house job training very very seriously cause this is a warning sign to him for future lapses

I'm tired of explaining to you people. I did not exonerate the op from blame..read my first post.However, health services is not free anywhere in the world and emergency health services is not an exception. Somebody has to pay for it,be it the patient or the Govt. that's the ugly truth.
A good system is one in which the Govt pays for such services because it has the interest of it's citizens at heart. Problem with Nigerians is that we like free things and expect emergency treatment to be free because a life is at stake.
Blood transfusions would have kept that lady and others like her alive pending definitive treatment but will the op put his own blood into her veins? or because he is earning 150k/month(money that people spend in one night at clubs) he is supposed to pay for the blood?
stop being emotional about this issue and think rationally.You either continue ranting online or proffer solutions to the problem. I can assure you that these cases will continue to happen till we as a people demand a change from the policy makers.

p.s don't quote me again pls
Re: My Bitter Experience As A Doctor Today by Boss13: 7:44am On Dec 27, 2015
ogawisdom:

U r a morbid fool, for once I tot I will see a different doctor jst reading d post but I saw another murderer n to think u a claimed senior doctor supports this shows its normal.

If he and other doctors care abt live then they shld do sth different n save live at times like depositing their money for a helpless accident victim until his/her parents comes.

Doctors like u and op dnt have any biz with medical practice since wat u want is money, u shld b traders angry

Pathological hydra headed monster

Solid point. Can you imagine the justification. A person's life for financial gains. What nonsense. A policy for emergency. When the rich travel abroad for simple headache, these stupid doctors complain and that's because our doctors are always negligent and potential killers.

Una no go see me or any member of my family
Re: My Bitter Experience As A Doctor Today by Wagasigiungu(m): 7:46am On Dec 27, 2015
And lest I forget, O. P. As a Dr & most especially as a H. O. u definitely have to be in good terms with other Healthcare workers. You need to learn and acknowledge them as important members of the health care team. This will go a long way in facilitating ur work. Drop that attitude of "I am the Dr who knows it all". Discard that air of arrogance some Drs exhibit. Be courteous to all other cadres of health care workers. When you hv a good relationship with the nurses, pharmacists, med lab scientists, cleaners, physiotherapist etc, u will definitely enjoy ur work. It doesn't cost u a dime to be courteous!!!! You will be surprised that most of the nurses will actually go out of their way to help u in such situations. They will provide u with all u ask fr with little effort. They will even go out of their way to give out of the left over stock of drugs, I. V. Fluids and other consumables left behind by other patients. The nurses are indispensable. Never believe otherwise. You need to endear them towards u. You will even learn some skills from the experienced ones.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Bitter Experience As A Doctor Today by Captain6(m): 7:47am On Dec 27, 2015
Did you at least administer first aid to her? Did you try at all to help her situation? By,the way who says they wouldn't pay after treatment huh?Only evil persons will refuse treating accident immediately.Policy my foot.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Bitter Experience As A Doctor Today by banio: 7:47am On Dec 27, 2015
The truth remains that some doctors have also died due to "no pay no treatment". My aunt who is a nurse lost her son in similar circumstance, "no pay no treatment"

I taught NHIS should be able to handle this if made compulsory. At least each Nigerian pays a little as #50 per month or more depending on the statistics and sincerity of the handlers. Nigeria will be great again beginning from 2016
Re: My Bitter Experience As A Doctor Today by Boss13: 7:48am On Dec 27, 2015
dohyn:

I'm tired of explaining to you people. I did not exonerate the op from blame..read my first post.However, health services is not free anywhere in the world and emergency health services is not an exception. Somebody has to pay for it,be it the patient or the Govt. that's the ugly truth.
A good system is one in which the Govt pays for such services because it has the interest of it's citizens at heart. Problem with Nigerians is that we like free things and expect emergency treatment to be free because a life is at stake.
Blood transfusions would have kept that lady and others like her alive pending definitive treatment but will the op put his own blood into her veins? or because he is earning 150k/month(money that people spend in one night at clubs) he is supposed to pay for the blood?
stop being emotional about this issue and think rationally.You either continue ranting online or proffer solutions to the problem. I can assure you that these cases will continue to happen till we as a people demand a change from the policy makers.

p.s don't quote me again pls

You are stupid and very stupid indeed. Are you officers not responsible for ensuring that the right thing be done. Every year you all embark on your annual leave A.K.A Strike and the purpose of such strike is just to increase your stupid remuneration.

You will never see a doctor strike for good healthcare system in Nigeria - NEVER. However, they will strike for housing, increased pay, hazard allowances and for all selfish purpose
Re: My Bitter Experience As A Doctor Today by Captain6(m): 7:49am On Dec 27, 2015
Did you at least administer first aid to her? Did you try at all to help her situation? By,the way who says they wouldn't pay after treatment huh?Only evil persons will refuse treating accident victims immediately.Policy my foot.
Re: My Bitter Experience As A Doctor Today by Harzan(m): 7:49am On Dec 27, 2015
Hey OP, am so angry, not absolutely abt your act, but taking all health practitioners together.
For God's sake, this is not the first time I read /see a medical doctor rant abt trash like this. Shame to our unfriendly health policies.
I also find it hard to comprehend this order ishhh u guys always tender when u failed to exercise ur responsibility as u've sworn to always do.
Yeah, everyone wanna make money, buh U guys really hav to know your profession is different as u are dealing with our dear lives.
I've personally taken an accident victim to AREWA HOSPITAL JABI, along Jabi lake, Abuja.
God. That day, I lost my respect for Health workers. The injured victim was an Aboki guy I know from no where. We got dia and d front desk guy kept insisting we buy their card of 10K.... Nurses steering @ us with no iota of care. I told them I only have 5K wch should be enough to just stop the bleeding victim. They declined.
With help of another eye witness, we had to use the guy's cloth to tie the hand then move to another small 'chemist'.
U guys are pathetic, as if u never know our policies ain't favourable.
When ur so called senior colleagues wanna fyt dia way out, they'll deceive us they want better health policy buh not with outrageous monetary request. How govt wan Ans unna. We're pple!
And that babe died.... God, hmmm... doctors. U guys need to sit up and reform health sector.
As per d order from above. Don't just understand u guys, and it's because u won't be penalized for life lost, carelessly or destined.
I am an Engineer, working in a production factory where safety is paramount and when and when u are d only supervisor on duty. U have to do your best, be the boss as at that time an minimize the breakdown.... why making calls, if u are competent enough Even going out to buy recharge card, rubbish!
I think my profession is more important to health workers who don't care abt our lives. In engineering, if u fail, ur ass go hear am. E.g the collapsed TP Joshua church engineers still feeling the heat. My prayers are with them.
Just angry with your professional ethics, not just justifying the mission any more.
*sorrry abt my typo, mistake n spoken English. Pls, feel free to make corrections. Message passed!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Bitter Experience As A Doctor Today by Spanner4(m): 7:50am On Dec 27, 2015
afolag:

After d commission of d said ultra modern hospital smewhre in Nigeria. Thesame gov dat built d hospital flew abroad fr treatment.

I call that beautiful nonsense commisioning!
Re: My Bitter Experience As A Doctor Today by bayulll01(m): 7:50am On Dec 27, 2015
klassiquette:

So much for the fuel I'm buying 300 naira per liter sometimes... We'll see what the"change"will be like next year

madam stop this hypocrisy,your last president has rined this nation's,we are still suffering from the rippple effect of his stupiiidity,get it to ur cerebrum change has come and there is nothing you can do about it
Re: My Bitter Experience As A Doctor Today by Fpankos: 7:50am On Dec 27, 2015
May her soul rest in peace. Just take a look at 2016 budget for health, its lower than that of last year.We need to strengthen the health care system and invest heavily. HO, you could have done better than making several calls, snapping pictures and feeling emotional on nairaland .it might not have changed the outcome but at least, try to do your best.
Re: My Bitter Experience As A Doctor Today by PipSurgeon(m): 7:51am On Dec 27, 2015
Boss13:

Solid point. Can you imagine the justification. A person's life for financial gains. What nonsense. A policy for emergency. When the rich travel abroad for simple headache, these stupid doctors complain and that's because our doctors are always negligent and potential killers.

Una no go see me or any member of my family
wud it be a crime if you and your friend Ogawisdom deposit from time to time on behalf of the needy patients dat stroll in either brroke or as emergency. have deposited before, when last did u donate blood voluntarily. bunch of lunatics
Re: My Bitter Experience As A Doctor Today by Captain6(m): 7:51am On Dec 27, 2015
Did you at least administer first aid to her? Did you try at all to help her situation? By,the way who says they wouldn't pay after treatment huh?Only evil persons will refuse treating accident victims immediately.Policy my foot,if I were a doctor,I rather lose my job,trying to help,as much as i can,than seeing patients die,when i could have done something to keep them alive.
Re: My Bitter Experience As A Doctor Today by Kirinwa: 7:52am On Dec 27, 2015
emmchi:
I think saving a life is paramount irrespective of the order from above.

Inasmuch as I feel saving a life is important I won't tell him to disregard authority. There's no smoke without fire. If you investigate well you will know there were bad experiences for that hospital before such a directive was given or you think that Senior doctor is not human? Some hospitals are not meant to handle certain situations otherwise their licence could be revoked.

Besides we have enough people in labour market and adding op to it doesn't seem nice to me.
Re: My Bitter Experience As A Doctor Today by chiefmidwife: 7:52am On Dec 27, 2015
Am a nurse and I used say it that doctors are wicked
Why blaming govt here, she was killed by the doctors
I know many nurses that have gone to police custody bc the attended to the accident victims
After all we have Good Samaritan law in medical practice

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Bitter Experience As A Doctor Today by Oduduwaboy(m): 7:53am On Dec 27, 2015
This is sounding like Ondo state where Mimiko is deceiving people with Mother & Child Hospital while neglecting other hospitals which are the real backbone of the health system. Sad.
Re: My Bitter Experience As A Doctor Today by desy24444(m): 7:55am On Dec 27, 2015
Bt dr, are u telling me dat no A&E nurse on duty? I know I A&E, treatment of pt for 24hrs before deposit is done infact der are instances the pt will b transfered to the ward and no payment av being done. If u re talking abt moni,dat is nt d duty of any medical officer. I understand u re an HO bt working in close contact with the nurses can help you cos they can cover you up sometimes wen issues arise
Re: My Bitter Experience As A Doctor Today by chronique(m): 7:56am On Dec 27, 2015
Life has a way of serving us the bitter pill we serve to others. The senior doctor who asked you not to touch anyone until they pay a deposit,would someday find herself or her loved ones in such a situation,and the same policy would be read out to them,and they'd lose their lives. That's karma. If I were you,I'd read this out to her,and damn the consequences. It's no fault of yours that the patient died;you had intentions to save lives but the principality that calls herself your boss,who has a pact with the agents of darkness,had already promised to deliver blood to herr coven. Honestly,I think some of these nurses and doctors are agents of darkness. I almost lost 2 of my siblings at a private hospital,and a govt hospital on 2 different occassions. It was just God that used my stubbornness and inteligence,to save them.

On one occassion,I had left the hospital to go see an old friend but as soon as I got close to his house,I heard a voice asking me to go back to the hospital. I tried to ignore it but it got stronger the further I walked. I think I'd gotten to the gate of my friend's house before I decided to obey the voice and turn back. On getting to the hospital,a nurse was about changing the blood bag/pint. My sister was on blood transfusion and the one she was on,before I left had finished. Everything had been connected and what was remaining was to insert the needle to her hand. I decided to check the blood and discovered it was a different blood from what she had just received and I drew the attention of the nurse to it. The idiot started arguing with me that she knows her job but I was adamant on my claims and demanded that she calls the doctor. When the doctor came,he raised the alarm and was asking why she didn't read the tags on the blood bag. He ordered her to remove it and asked me to return the blood to the lab where they bought it from. If they had succeeded in giving her that blood,the blood would have clotted and she would have died. It was then I realized why that voice kept telling me to go back to the hospital. Sometimes,we wonder how people die in the hospital but the truth is that majority of patients die due to negligence and some silly errors that shouldn't have been made in the first place. I don't even want to talk about the experience my elder sister had at Luth after they had called me to donate blood for her that they'd use for her surgery. She was only wheeled into the theatre when it became an emergency. I remember my mum trekking from ikorodu to surulere until a good samaritan gave her a lift to Luth, due to fuel scarcity. I remember my mum and I taking turns to go look for hospitals supplies to buy for the surgery. Things as basic as needles they'd use in stiching my sister,we had to buy them ourselves. Reminiscing about all we went through then,makes me feel like crying but I thank God that my sisters are alive today and all the sacrifices I and mum made at different times,weren't in vain. The Nigerian healthcare system sucks for real.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Bitter Experience As A Doctor Today by Nobody: 7:56am On Dec 27, 2015
Spanner4:

I call that beautiful nonsense commisioning!
Commisioning. ..thanks for the correction
Re: My Bitter Experience As A Doctor Today by bayulll01(m): 7:56am On Dec 27, 2015
Harzan:
Hey OP, am so angry, not absolutely abt your act, but taking all health practitioners together.
For God's sake, this is not the first time I read /see a medical doctor rant abt trash like this. Shame to our unfriendly health policies.
I also find it hard to comprehend this order ishhh u guys always tender when u failed d!
don't mind the silly guy,he probably came here so people wil praise him and make him feel good.what a clueless and senseless human.he just wasted the life of that poor lady,silly Moro
Re: My Bitter Experience As A Doctor Today by bayulll01(m): 7:57am On Dec 27, 2015
Harzan:
I also find it hard to comprehend this order ishhh u guys always tender when u failed d!
don't mind the silly guy,he probably came here so people wil praise him and make him feel good.what a clueless and senseless human.he just wasted the life of that poor lady,silly slowpoke
Re: My Bitter Experience As A Doctor Today by Kirinwa: 7:57am On Dec 27, 2015
Boss13:

You are a disgrace to the medical field and responsible for the death of that young lady. The highest you would have gotten was a query and even if you were sacked, you can still sue.

I wonder what they teach you people in medical school. If there are not code of ethics to abide by. What a shame, a total disgrace that you are and I am hoping that the family of the decease can read this and sue your stupid ass and that of the hospital for negligence. That was how Chaz B was also killed. Potential killers roaming and pretending to be doctors.

I blame Seun for not screening your sanity before registering you. How you reason is below par joor.

1 Like

Re: My Bitter Experience As A Doctor Today by Obynolee(f): 7:57am On Dec 27, 2015
Ogatitus:

I have read through your writeup severally and I am a bit disappointed with you.

The whole turn of events is really painful, but as a doctor you need to be careful cos if anyone decides to take this to litigation, trust me you will be the first to go down.

You obviously just lost your first patients and the bitter truth is that you may likely lose more even under worse scenario. Your duty as a doctor is to do your utmost best and move on.

Coming online to display your emotional fragility and indict your superior is ethically wrong.

And the superior going against his oath is what??
Re: My Bitter Experience As A Doctor Today by Spanner4(m): 7:59am On Dec 27, 2015
afolag:
Commisioning. ..thanks for the correction
No probs, I just passed a message across broda,
Re: My Bitter Experience As A Doctor Today by AfroKnight: 7:59am On Dec 27, 2015
Interestingly, those criticizing this young doctor are not medical personnel.

There is a chance that she would have died even if he attended to her. He is a house officer for crying out loud. Only one year experience and no specialty. No authority over the nurses. Meagre salary that cannot pay for the patient's treatment. He would probably make grave mistakes in critical situations like this because of his nascent experience.

Not every patient can be stabilized in Nigerian hospitals. Where are the adequate equipment? The nurses won't even answer him cos they know he would be acting against the orders of his senior.

Even if it was his sister, there is nothing he could have done.

This is the dividend of being a 3rd world country.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (23) (Reply)

Malawian Lady Commits Suicide After Her Boyfriend Ended Their Relationship / Girl Drinks Sniper And Dies After Her Boyfriend Broke Up With Her / HIV & AIDS In Nigeria: Please You Must Read This Story And Be Warned

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.