Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,307 members, 7,881,129 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 01:05 PM

Glaring Difference Between Igbo And Biafra - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Glaring Difference Between Igbo And Biafra (53315 Views)

History Of Tribal Wars Between Igbo And Yoruba In Nigeria Since 1946 (part One) / #soundoff: The Glaring Difference Between Stella Oduah And Babatunde Fashola / On South South And Biafra...a Rivers-man View (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Glaring Difference Between Igbo And Biafra by Sweetlemon(f): 9:27am On Dec 29, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:
Efiong? Who is proud of him for his role as 2ic in Ojukwu Biafra in his Akwa Ibom state? He was there on his own. His only 'heroic' is the surrender.

Tell them pls! Nobody gives a hoot about him in the Akwa/Cross community. No monuments erected in his honour, no memorials, nothing whatsoever. Ojukwu only lured him with promises of being 2nd in command in a new country and he stupidly followed.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Glaring Difference Between Igbo And Biafra by Nobody: 9:28am On Dec 29, 2015
Afam4eva:
I've always maintained that Nigerians have to be the most illiterate people in the world and it rings more true foe people who are supposedly educated. A look at the vibrant and harcore Pro Biafrans and the opposisinf Pro Nigeria, you will discover the penchant by these people to mistake both terms. For the sake of those illiterate, let me explain the difference between these two people and how they intertwine.

Igbo is an ethnic group based in West Africa, chiefly in southeastern Nigeria (Wikipedia). This means that even though Igbos are mainly in the South East, there also Igbos outside the South-East in Northern parts of Delta state, some parts of Rivers state and the Ndoki areas of Akwa Ibom state.

Biafra, officially the Republic of Biafra, is often referred to as a secessionist state in then southeastern Nigeria that declared its independence from 30 May 1967 to 15 January 1970, taking its name from the Bight of Biafra (the Atlantic bay to its south).

Furthermore, the secessionist state which was declared by the defacto leader, Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu included people of the old eastern region (Igbos, Efiks, Ijaws etc) by virtue of the fact that these groups found themselves in that region and he happened to be the governor. That is why the Igbos across the Niger in places like Asaba and the likes were not part of the secessionist state because they were in the Mid west region.

So, as it stands today, Biafra which may come in different pseudonym is a movement of people who are mostly Igbos but not supported by majority of Igbo people and as such should not be classified as an Igbo movement but can be classified as a group of Igbo people. It is wrong and silly to assume that every Igbo person supports Biafra or use the term interchangeably with Igbo.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Igbo_people

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biafra

Seun.
Lalasticlala
Mynd44
Why is this thread on FP?
U made a controversial rule. Concerning Biafra but allow dis thread to live?
I would appreciate if u can be neutral to sensitive issues before Nairaland turns to Yorubaland

1 Like

Re: Glaring Difference Between Igbo And Biafra by Lilimax(f): 9:29am On Dec 29, 2015
Una no dey tire for this Biafra tingy I dey watch una from afar lipsrsealed embarassed
Re: Glaring Difference Between Igbo And Biafra by CSTR2: 9:31am On Dec 29, 2015
Sweetlemon:

Tell them pls! Nobody gives a hoot about him in the Akwa/Cross community. No monuments erected in his honour, no memorials, nothing whatsoever. Ojukwu only lured him with promises of being 2nd in command in a new country and he stupidly followed.
How many akwaibom or crossriverians have monuments erected in their honour, let alone a seccessionist?
The Nigerian govt would have discouraged such outrightly. They didn't even want to give him a national burial.
The politics of the civil war after-math that made some people deny their igbo heritage is enough to remove any memory of biafra from the akwa-cross area.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Glaring Difference Between Igbo And Biafra by Ugomba(m): 9:31am On Dec 29, 2015
CSTR2:
TonyeBarcanista is trying to divorce asaba from anioma.
I have given him a Stern Warning.
We Aniomas can never be a "willing tool" in the hands of some people to push their anti-Igbo agenda.

12 Likes

Re: Glaring Difference Between Igbo And Biafra by cabaliciouscabal: 9:32am On Dec 29, 2015
nduchucks:

Oga, TonyeBarcanista is very correct in saying that when Ojukwu declared is Biafra, he was Governor of Eastern state that excluded Rivers, Bayelsa, Akwa Ibom and Cross river. Old Rivers and Old Cross river were already created by Gowon.

In February 1966, when Isaac Boro, Sam Owonaro and Nottingham Dick alongside their supporters proclaimed a "Delta Peoples Republic", biafra was not included in the said republic. On 27 May 1967, under the administration of General Yakubu Gowon, decree No. 14 was issued, allowing the creation of Rivers State. Ojukwu's Eastern region at the time of "secession" did not include Ijawland or modern day SS area.

The good people of Niger Delta fought alongside gallant Nigerian soldiers to defeat the secessionists. My Gull, there is no need to try to revise history, though we have come to expect that from you.

If you and the likes of Kanu want to lead Igbo youths on another suicide mission, be rest assured that the people of the Niger Delta will fight you once again.

My Broda GodBless U, I just love ur humor. At tyms wen pple chose to commit mass suicide, dia is notin wrong if we continually ring d bell of massive disaster ahead.

War is not by Mouth or Boasting. Wen reality is done, d likes of kanu will run under d Bed.

A word is enough for d wise.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Glaring Difference Between Igbo And Biafra by TonyeBarcanista(m): 9:32am On Dec 29, 2015
CSTR2:
The biafran agenda of ojukwu was supported by SS groups in the akwa-cross area. His deputy was definitely from there.
Anioma is one, sorry. With one political and socio-economic agenda.You cannot divorce asaba from anioma.
Of course, the general igbo identity is still a controversy there, but it dosen't affect their common anioma identity.
I really don't know how receptible they are to biafra , some of them want it, some of them don't, but they sure as hell are not going for any phantom niger-delta republic.
The ogoni wants a seperate nation. That is as clear as day.
ANIOMA is not an ethnic group. It is a term for people in Delta North. Asaba is part of Anioma and they supported Biafra but the Ikas and others don't. As for Effiong, even his own people are not proud of him. They are only happy that he surrendered.

He was absolutely on his own as Ojukwu's 2ic

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Glaring Difference Between Igbo And Biafra by MrCEO69(m): 9:34am On Dec 29, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:
Efiong? Who is proud of him for his role as 2ic in Ojukwu Biafra in his Akwa Ibom state? He was there on his own. His only 'heroic' is the surrender.

ok
Re: Glaring Difference Between Igbo And Biafra by TonyeBarcanista(m): 9:35am On Dec 29, 2015
Sweetlemon:

Though you deserve flogging for all the attacks on me in the past but I will let them slide in the spirit of the yuletide grin

Long time
Re: Glaring Difference Between Igbo And Biafra by boxypane(m): 9:36am On Dec 29, 2015
kernel504:
OP... CAN YOU TELL ME ONE COUNTRY WHERE ALL HER CITIZENS BELIEVES IN ALL HER IDEALOGIES OR COUNTRY WHERE EVERYBOBY SHARE SAME VIEW ?
The unregistered REPUBLIC DU BIAFRA....
The Name Funny Sha.
BIA= Come
FRA= An abbreviation for the Latin word for brother.
BIAFRA= Come Brother
Re: Glaring Difference Between Igbo And Biafra by SESSOL: 9:37am On Dec 29, 2015
Afam4eva:
I've always maintained that Nigerians have to be the most illiterate people in the world and it rings more true foe people who are supposedly educated. A look at the vibrant and harcore Pro Biafrans and the opposisinf Pro Nigeria, you will discover the penchant by these people to mistake both terms. For the sake of those illiterate, let me explain the difference between these two people and how they intertwine.

Igbo is an ethnic group based in West Africa, chiefly in southeastern Nigeria (Wikipedia). This means that even though Igbos are mainly in the South East, there also Igbos outside the South-East in Northern parts of Delta state, some parts of Rivers state and the Ndoki areas of Akwa Ibom state.

Biafra, officially the Republic of Biafra, is often referred to as a secessionist state in then southeastern Nigeria that declared its independence from 30 May 1967 to 15 January 1970, taking its name from the Bight of Biafra (the Atlantic bay to its south).

Furthermore, the secessionist state which was declared by the defacto leader, Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu included people of the old eastern region (Igbos, Efiks, Ijaws etc) by virtue of the fact that these groups found themselves in that region and he happened to be the governor. That is why the Igbos across the Niger in places like Asaba and the likes were not part of the secessionist state because they were in the Mid west region.

So, as it stands today, Biafra which may come in different pseudonym is a movement of people who are mostly Igbos but not supported by majority of Igbo people and as such should not be classified as an Igbo movement but can be classified as a group of Igbo people. It is wrong and silly to assume that every Igbo person supports Biafra or use the term interchangeably with Igbo.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Igbo_people

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biafra

I see the bias... I thought biafran issue is not allowed on the forum but if the post is against biafra it will be allowed.

It's time to launch Biafraland forum.

See how the moderators switched my write up.

Re: Glaring Difference Between Igbo And Biafra by CSTR2: 9:37am On Dec 29, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:

ANIOMA is not an ethnic group. It is a term for people in Delta North. Asaba is part of Anioma and they supported Biafra but the Ikas and others don't. As for Effiong, even his own people are not proud of him. They are only happy that he surrendered.

He was absolutely on his own as Ojukwu's 2ic
Of course, anioma is not an ethnic group. They are a subsets of a bigger ethnic group.
If Ika did not SIGNIFICANTLY support the biafran agenda, then why did murtala muhammed carry out a spree of vengeful anti-biafran cold blooded murders in the part of Nigeria and most parts of anioma.?
It is not totally correct to say that IKA overwhelmingly supported or supports biafra, it is also very wrong to say they didn't.

6 Likes

Re: Glaring Difference Between Igbo And Biafra by SSkillzzz(m): 9:38am On Dec 29, 2015
asorocker:
I will not dignify you with a reply.
you just did sir
Re: Glaring Difference Between Igbo And Biafra by EasternPride: 9:39am On Dec 29, 2015
Am happy all of you are talking about Biafra.

Anybody can say what they wanna say, as long as 80% of keke riders in my city all have one form of Biafra flag or sticker on their machines, who sigh.

Look at this picture, 2 out of 3 Keke drivers put Biafran flag or sticker on their machines.

and also check out that flag hoisted somewhere, it means the spirit of Biafra has awoken, it is everywhere, people now rock Biafran caps and wears around, even past police and army check points.

In Igbo we say "onye kwe, chi ya ekwere" - "if you say yes, you god will say yes".

Peace

4 Likes

Re: Glaring Difference Between Igbo And Biafra by 4lashyme: 9:39am On Dec 29, 2015
The fact is that the Igbo people have come to identify themselves with what Biafra symbolize. Considering events that happened in the history of our country, the Igbo people think Biafra is the solution for their problem with Nigeria. Even other tribes in the Old eastern region now identify with this ideology but silently for fear of unsettling the Federal Government. It is for this reason that the federal government will not easily support a referendum. As those tribes on the fence will easily vote YES to Biafra. But what is the REAL SOLUTION?
1. We should switch to regional/Provincial system [5 regions - West, East, Savanna, North West and North East]. This is because the current state structure is divisive, unsustainable, and does not promote economic cooperation.
2. Lets practice representative democracy where we will have
(a) Federal Governing council with five members one from each region with equal powers {No vice President}.
(b) Regional Governing Council where members come from each constituting state with equal powers. [eg: West with six states will have six members]
(c) Crap the NASS structure and create a People's council with each state providing 3 members [more like the current senate system].
3. Change the ideology of security/law enforcement agents to see citizens as stake holders and not enemies. Military personals on civic duty should be civil and appear on less military attire without GUNS [Guns are instrument of intimidation and you should not intimidate your citizens].
4. Constitutional reforms and international agreements should pass through a nation wide referendum. this makes the citizens involved and prevents mortgaging the country against the will of the people.

If all these are implemented, you will never hear of any secessionist movement from anywhere in Nigeria. Majority of Nigerians [Including Igbo people] want a strong, dynamic Nigeria that practice representative democracy and respects the wills and aspirations of her people.

Lajet:

How did you know that majority of Igbos don't support Biafra. can you show me any person in South East that can mobilise a huge number of supporters like Nnamdi Kanu without paying them any money . am not a supporter of IPOB but what i found out that majority of you people that always said that majority of igbos don't support biafra are afraid because the don't want lose there job when biafra become a country . because we all know that if the conduct a referendum now in South East 90% to 95% of people living in South East we vote yes for Biafra while igbos living in any other of Nigeria we be between 50/50

5 Likes

Re: Glaring Difference Between Igbo And Biafra by Sweetlemon(f): 9:40am On Dec 29, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:

Though you deserve flogging for all the attacks on me in the past but I will let them slide in the spirit of the yuletide grin

Long time

Lol! Long time. Stubborn boy
Re: Glaring Difference Between Igbo And Biafra by cabaliciouscabal: 9:40am On Dec 29, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:

Bros abeg face front. Ritababe is under my tutelage undecided

Tony ow u dey now, op u ar aving fun dis festive period.
Re: Glaring Difference Between Igbo And Biafra by chimex4u2: 9:40am On Dec 29, 2015
clevadani:
True talk op.
Though I have ntin against those agitatin for biafra, most of my friends who are igbos don't care if biafra exist.
Its suprising that while Europe is clamouring for more integration, africa is looking for more separation.
U forget that what is affecting Europe now is integration? Go and ask anybody based in Europe the reason of their problems now
Re: Glaring Difference Between Igbo And Biafra by Mcowubaba: 9:41am On Dec 29, 2015
I am Igbo..nd I am sincerely tired of people or other tribes talking down/thrash abt my tribe...

I don't knw why some of my Igbo people drag SS into Igbo matter...

If the (SS) say that the have nothing to do with Igbos, let them be naaa...

We keep making this people fell excessively Important undecided..

The facts are always the fact...arguments don't change fact.. If a community in SS speaks Igbo, dresses likes Igbos, bear Igbo names, automatically the are Igbo people...we don't need to argue over it...
Afam4eva nd co, the girl from Akwa Ibom has told u that no Igbo indigenous group is in Akwa Ibom, why not let that be, it wouldn't change the fact -if there are Indigenous Igbos there ?, it now seems as if u are begging them to accept that Igbos are indigenous in some of their community- this is highly illogical, uncalled for nd silly...

We true Igbos (by true Igbos I mean people who have fully accepted our lovely tribe without arguments) are not interested in anybody who doesn't want to be part of us undecided... Live nd let live...
"Biri kam biri"..
Stop giving this SS minorities reasons to keep talking sh!t abt the Igbo tribe...Leave them alone.... Everyday dem d create topic to tell Igbos hw the are not part of u, or how the hate Igbos...

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Glaring Difference Between Igbo And Biafra by cabaliciouscabal: 9:42am On Dec 29, 2015
FemiFaniKayode:

Mind ya sef oooo no monopoly for this ministry!!

Abi u done sign autograph under dia

FFK se ur ministry na to help send pple go HELL.

Jst asking ni oooo
Re: Glaring Difference Between Igbo And Biafra by CSTR2: 9:43am On Dec 29, 2015
Nigerians are fond of giving priority to the wrong things. Focusing on symptoms and forgetting the cause. The modern biafran agenda i believe is a form of agitation or revolution against poor national governance.
It is just one of the many symptoms of a poorly governed state. Just like me, you may not agree with its format, but that is what it is , a revolution against backward governance.
It is left for the Nigerian govt to pick up the gauntlet and prove that Nigeria is not a zoo and true development can happen.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Glaring Difference Between Igbo And Biafra by Figs(m): 9:44am On Dec 29, 2015
prettyboi1:
This is a very great post. Thanks to you, Afam4eva for writing this up. It's totally true that not all Igbo people support Biafra,so it's wrong of anyone of us to lump all igbos up in one pack and call them 'biafra'.

That said,I am a Nigerian and I love Nigeria and will always play my little part to the growth and unity of Nigeria, I will continually condemn 'biafra'.

God Bless Nigeria.
within u lies d true feelin bt ar afraid to xpress it for fearof bein blockd frm dis tribalist forum
Re: Glaring Difference Between Igbo And Biafra by TonyeBarcanista(m): 9:44am On Dec 29, 2015
AnakinSkywalker:

Tonye thank you o for setting the records straight for him.
As a matter of fact the Biafran soldiers committed atrocities against the Ijaw communities during the war so much so that young men escaped accross the distributatries of the Niger to enlist with the Nigerian Army. This action is still celebrated till date called ''Go to Niger''. They took part in the liberation of their communities from the Biafran soldiers. It was a forceful annexation which did not work .And by the way,if it happened again, we will do the same. We are not and have never been cowards. As a matter of fact our chieftancy titles and family arrangements are feudal in nature. Based on war canoe houses.
These people like opening old wounds. My maternal grandfather was head of war canoe house as at that time, he told me few stories which weren't pleasant. My paternal grandma, my dad and uncles also said lots of unpleasant stories as regards the uncivil war that was due to Ojukwu's Biafra occupation. These stories were from experience they had and witnessed. Biafran agitators should be guided.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Glaring Difference Between Igbo And Biafra by haconjy(m): 9:45am On Dec 29, 2015
Re: Glaring Difference Between Igbo And Biafra by cabaliciouscabal: 9:45am On Dec 29, 2015
DipoDee:
So will Afam4ever be banned for creating another Biafra thread!

Enough already, we don't care who is or who is not Biafran, we are in Nigeria/ on a Nigerian forum..

My broda let us wait and watch Wat Seun and co will do, maybe dia will be double standard.
Re: Glaring Difference Between Igbo And Biafra by hungryboy(m): 9:45am On Dec 29, 2015
Why majority of SS people don't really favour the idea of joining the Biafran struggle, it's not just because of the 'igbo wan come drink our oil excuse', like many always want people to believe,
It's because, after what we have gone through in Nigeria,
With the hausa/fulani North having a majority population that only needs a few votes from the South to win the Presidential elections,

We can't agitate for a country in which we will face the same prospects again,

We can't be a majority in Nigeria for years and then wake up now to agitate for a new Country, we will still be minorities in.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Glaring Difference Between Igbo And Biafra by anyaekekehinde(m): 9:46am On Dec 29, 2015
CSTR2:
How many akwaibom or crossriverians have monuments erected in their honour, let alone a seccessionist?
The Nigerian govt would have discouraged such outrightly. They didn't even want to give him a national burial.
The politics of the civil war after-math that made some people deny their igbo heritage is enough to remove any memory of biafra from the akwa-cross area.

I have long noticed that you are naturally intelligent... Though I have kept that notion within me.. Now after studying your responses on this thread I can say that God really blessed you with both Natural and Emotional Intelligence.. Pls keep it up

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Glaring Difference Between Igbo And Biafra by feeloscar(m): 9:46am On Dec 29, 2015
asorocker:

What of the Igbo areas in benue, cross rivers and parts of opobo, Bonny are they no longer genuinely part of igbo land
Which Ibo area in Benue State?

1 Like

Re: Glaring Difference Between Igbo And Biafra by SESSOL: 9:46am On Dec 29, 2015
SESSOL:
I see the bias... I thought biafran issue is not allowed on the forum but if the post is against biafra it will be allowed.

It's time to launch [color=#990000][/color]Biafraland forum.
the moderators here are fraudulent, they changed my write up by changing biafraland to nairaland
Re: Glaring Difference Between Igbo And Biafra by CSTR2: 9:47am On Dec 29, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:

These people like opening old wounds. My maternal grandfather was head of war canoe house as at that time, he told me few stories which weren't pleasant. My paternal grandma, my dad and uncles also said lots of unpleasant stories as regards the uncivil war that was due to Ojukwu's Biafra occupation. These stories were from experience they had and witnessed. Biafran agitators should be guided.
And what of the people that lost over 2 million innocent lives and were starved to death due to uncoventional war tactics of the Nigerian govt?
Who has tended to their wounds?

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

APC Demands Arrest Of Seyi Makinde / Photo Of Aisha Yesufu Crying At Peter Obi's Lagos Rally / President Buhari Reacts To Super Eagles Victory Over Iceland

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.