Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,192,361 members, 7,947,588 topics. Date: Friday, 13 September 2024 at 01:27 AM

Jimmy's Take: The Headies 2015 - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Jimmy's Take: The Headies 2015 (577 Views)

Next Rated Award Winners At The Headies Since 2006 / Teenage Wizkid Freestyling On Jimmy Jump Off (Throwback Video) / Full List Of Winners At The Headies 2015 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jimmy's Take: The Headies 2015 by 0luwap3lumi: 10:03am On Jan 02, 2016
So, #TheHeadies2015 came, thrilled us, disappointed us, gave us some goodies, went back home leaving us with one big CONTROVERSY!
There was Sound Sultan flipping the script (Boy, was he good?), Adekunle Gold killing his #Agbada, all the result we didn't quite appreciate, and #DonJazzy VS #OlamideBadoo.
I'd want to talk about that! I'd say Olamide probably(?) shouldn't have said what he did, though I support his mission! But then DonJazzy had to come and misinterprete him! He came and form maturity, then ended up fooling himself (my opinion!)
But that's not my mission, I want to talk about those results! So, this gonna be like a 'go for go' review of the awards categories (Hit Or Miss)! And I'm doing it my way!
COMING UP next!
Re: Jimmy's Take: The Headies 2015 by 0luwap3lumi: 12:40pm On Jan 02, 2016
Moving On!
First Up: Street-Hop Artiste (Winner Olamide- BObo)
Skilashi - Bobo - Mosquito killer - Indomie - Hello Bae
Olamide won the first award on the night, street-hop artiste, and there's no question why, or how! Or are you asking, well if you are you deserve an answer and it's one word 'BOBO'. Yeah, that's the song that one him the award and I really do not think I have to tell you about it!If you ask me, the one song to actually rival Bobo would be 'Indomie' and that's probably cause Olamide killed that one too! Skilashi was just there, Mosquito killer? Well, Small Doctor did the song so I take my hands off of it! And 'Hello Bae', now that's one true piece of music! I don't know if 'Bae' came before or after but it was too good! Bobo was just too 'Gooder'
So it's A Hit!
2. Best Pop Single (Winner Korede Bello -Godwin)
Ojuelegba - Collabo - My Woman, My Everything - Woju - Godwin - Bobo
What I think: First I eliminate Collabo and My Woman, My Everything. Now we're down to four!
Woju has been around longer than any other one of these songs, and for a new artiste I don't think there could've been a better(Gooder?) Debut, Godwin, well he won it na Godwin, now this is one song that cross waves, it encompasses everything, relative to everyone, whoever you are, whatever you do, now this is one song that could be a classic (evergreen, if I may!) and there's no saying it won't be, but I think it could have been better! Ojuelegba, well, it's Wizkid, now I'm not a big fan (if I'm a fan at all) of the guy, but I think this was amazing, it's cool, delivery was awesome, matured flow and it while it might not be necessarily relatable (or maybe it is - starting from the bottom and is - is that even true) it still goes across, and legendarey beatz did good! Now, it's BObo, ask me? This is it! You know when I gave it to him! When I heard one guy who doesn't understand Yoruba say 'Now that's the song of the year! I mean, it's by a rapper, if he can do this (Of course he can, he did it) that just kills, it came just like the rest of them, groovy, it made us want to dance and Olamide feeling generous didn't want us to look dumb, gave us 'The Dance' I think that's the one dance we learnt last year! It takes you on that journey, with moves! It has the 'intro of life' we still haven't figured out what 'Wobe' is! then the chorus, goes on to advice you, you want Ferrari, Bentley, to get this money, what you need is, 'Zero Dulling' and hard work (night and day)! He then slams the haters, embraces originality (I do my thing my way) then tells you when you finally get that money, be sure to go home with it! I think it deserves this!
Miss!
3. Best Vocal Performance (Male) (Winner Timi Dakolo -Wish Me Well)
If I fall (Praiz) - High (Shaydee) - Wish Me Well - Do the right thing (Cobhams) - There's a fire (Bez)
This is Easy! There's a reason he's called 'THE VOICE'
IT's A HIT!
4. Best R&B Single (Winner Timi Dakolo - Wish Me Well)
Heartbeat (Praiz) - Baby Daddy (Iyanya) - Say you love me (Leriq ft Wizkid) - Do the right thing (Cobhams ft Bez) - wish me well
These are all very good songs, though I really do not agree with Babby Daddy, Praiz and Cobhams would have deserved it, but with Dakolo on a roll, with his voice and delivery, you can't but appreciate!
HIT!
5. Best Rap Single (Winner Vector - King Kong)
King Kong - Bad Belle (M.I) - Bank Alert (Ill Bliss) - Local Rapper - G.O.D -T.R
G.O.D vs Bank alert came here as the underdogs, and they just left!
M.I's Bad Belle is amazing! M.I is one rapper that can but impress, his flow is smooth, and bad belle was just as smooth! Almost like a Reminisce kinda joint, speaking like has though he's got no worries in the world! Confidence? Punclines all over, might as well have been a diss combo, cause that's what I think it was (was I the target?) Jesus Knows!
Local Rapper? Well I don't know what to say, it's got the 2Kings plus an Alaga Ibile, what did you expect, trash? Sorry! It might as well have gone into the 2Kings album, the style, the energy, the flow, the confidence, the chemistry (should I go on?). It takes that Cypher format that Olamide and Phyno have somehow mastered since Ghost Mode and and killed it! We even started asking who killed it (I don't know, all I know is it died!). You call them Local Rappers, Well, that's what you think!
King Kong! I got hooked on this the very first time I heard it! I think it was the Atilogu style! But Vector was magic! He sure is the viper! I like what he did, he attempted commercial and he didn't miss! This is one track that's probably risen to cult status! I don't know what points to speak on! is it that red and white he kept talking about (forget it, he won that's what matters!
BIG HIT!
Be back soon!
Re: Jimmy's Take: The Headies 2015 by 0luwap3lumi: 11:31pm On Jan 02, 2016
6. Best Vocal Performance (Female) (Winner Aramide - Iwo Nikan)
CocoBaby (Waje) - IwoNikan - Bed Of Stone (Asa) - Tiff (Simi) - Durotimi (Yemi Alade)
What can I say, Aramide winning this tells me the Industry's got a future (Don't ask me why)! Here we've got Asa (man, she's good) and all those senior staffs and Simi (fast rising and spectacular, and Falz just makes her better) and then we've got Aramide killing it with that amazing song and voice of hers! I'm just happy for her!
HIT!
7. Best Reggae/Dancehall Single ( Cynthia Morgan - German Juice)
German Juice - Sanko (Timaya) - My Body - Daniella Whyne (Patoranking) - Cheques and Balance (Burna Boy) - Bad Girl Special (Mr 2Kay)
Cynthia Morgan! I think she's everything reggae in Nigeria, not dissing Pato! But boy, is she good! The very first time I heard German Juice, I was like what is that! It doesn't really get better than that, it got a thumbs up from Me! Cheques and Balance was good from Burna but why am I even defending this, everyone supports #GermanJuice! No Beef!
Hit!
8. Best Music Video (Winner Reekado Banks - Katapot (Unlimited L.A))
Jamb Question (Mex) - Crazy (Meji Alabi) - The Sound (Uhuru) - Katapot - Baby Jollof ( Clarence Peters)
The first time I saw this list, I said to myself 'There's just two Videos in here, Jamb Question) and Katapot, the others are just there! Now Katapot is good, good song, good message, good Unlimited L.A but I think Jamb question's got the look that kills! The video Falz decided to grace with his presence couldn't have been amazinger! That wasn't planned to be a music video, I think the story was meant for a movie, but then Simi came and well 'Let's just give it to her! the costumes were well picked, Falz's strangely Comical appearance, Simi's nativity and the stories that touch told therein is what I call a 'Story Of Life' in the 'Video of Life'
Miss!
9. Best Collaboration (Winner Reminisce ft Olamide and Phyno - Local Rapper)
Local Rapper - Hold On - Bad Girl Special (Mr. 2Kay ft Seyi Shay and Yemi Alade) - Shoki Remix - Do The Right Thing (Cobhams ft Bez) - Sisi (Praiz ft Wizkid)
So, here goes, the only songs in line for this award would be Shoki and Local rapper, rap just know how to deal with collabos, Shoki, well it's Shoki, whatelse! Yeah, the Dance style! And I pretty much said everything I'd want to about 'Local Rapper' upstairs'
So, It's A Hit! Though Shoki wouldn't have been to bad either!
10. Best Rap Album (Winner M.I - Chairman)
Baba Hafusa (Reminisce) - StreetOT (Olamide) - Chairman - Above Ground Level (Mode Nine)
In this category we've got four albums and three levels!
Mode Nine's Above Ground Level is just there, struggling above ground! He might have pioneered Rap in Nigeria and won the Lyricist on the Roll seven times, but there's really no arguing the fact 'Modo' has lost his 'Mojo' (or is there?) and Just a few floors above it is Reminisce's Baba Hafusa, sure, it's got gems like Skilashi, made for the street, Poison is just what it is, Poison, not hard but potent, could have been better! Reminisce always does his delivery good, but this album 'just don't got it'!
And there in the sky, we've got them Chairman and StreetOT! Now Mi's comeback didn't land as Adele's last year, but it was good! While I think he's an amazing rapper, I don't think he should've gotten this (He deserves it though)! No Qualms! I saw Chairman, and was like, this is the chairmans album! It really didn't go has hard as expected, Bad Belle is raw, Shekpe is razz (forget Olamide style in verse 3), Mine made me Love Wizkid, Rich?(It's a new year, I wanna be rich) and Chairman (That's God!) when he made that album, I bet he targeted perfection but it fell short!
StreetOT! And album by a Street Guy, for the Street! Here, Olamide shows us the background, while giving chance for the newers to perform and they didn't disappoint! If I start with a review of this, I won't stop but I think it probably deserves it!
I'd give it to MI, cause Olamide did a bit of crooning, putting it back, while Chairman was just rap, except for Featured artistes!
I Say Hit!
Re: Jimmy's Take: The Headies 2015 by 0luwap3lumi: 6:00pm On Jan 03, 2016
11. Producer Of The Year (Winner Legendary Beatz - Ojuelegba)
Godwin (Don Jazzy) - Wiser (Mastakraft) - Bobo (Young John) - Ojuelegba - There's A Fire (Cobhams)
Now this is the category Don Jazzy's been known for, I think he's won it like three to four times, and you wouldn't argue he could do it again, considering the song that got him this nomination was massive, Godwin (should I say more, I don't think so). Mastakraft did a good job on wiser but somehow the single didn't quite it the ground, which made it quite an underdog coming here. Now there's Cobhams, he doesn't do mainstream but there's no arguing this guy is really good, and the production on There's a fire was just 'really good too', he really leaves me speechless with his work.
Bobo, the song of life, forget everything else! I've talked about this song upstairs, but there's one more thing to say! Now I'm questioning why he (Young John) didn't get this, now I'm not putting Legendary Beatz down or anything, their work on Ojuelegba was amazing, and I think it carried the song but consider this, even Don Jazzy gave the award to Young John in a tweet he made earlier that day, and I think that says something!
Miss!
12. Lyricist On The Roll (Winner Vector - King Kong)
Bank Alert Remix (Ill Bliss) - Baba Hafusa - King Kong - G.O.D (T.R)
What else can I say, KING KONG!!!
13. The Next Rated (Winner Reekado Banks)
Reekado Banks - Kiss Daniel - Cynthia Morgan - Korede Bello - Lil kesh
CONTROVERSY!!! Moving On!
14. Revelation Of The Year (Winner Yemi Alade - King Of Queens)
Praiz (Rich n Famous) - Yemi Alade - Skales (Man Of The Year)
Now, Yemi Alade really did herself good in 2015, Tiwa Savages absence then made it easier! Praiz is one person that know how to do music (Yeah, he's good, no doubt) and Skales put a lot of work into the that album, but it's just difficult to overlook, Yemi Alde right now! Plus I'm for 'GIRL POWER)
Hit!
15. Recording Of The Year ( Winner Timi Dakolo - Wish Me Well)
Ojuelegba - Wish Me Well - Eyo (Asa) - There's A Fire - Do The Right Thing
Somehow, majority of the songs here happen to be R&B, that's cause R&B songs are usually very well done, Asa's Eyo killed me the first time I heard it, Wish Me Well won R&B single of the year, There's a Fire and Do the right thing, both produced by Cobhams and having BEZ on vocal are equally amazing but Dakolo's voice tends to give him an edge. And then we've got Ojuelegba, it wins this, hands down!
Miss!

(1) (Reply)

We're Keeping An Eye On The Red Carpet, The It Girls And The Fashion Bloggers / Nairalanders What Is That Song That Gives You Goose Bumbs / The Packers' linebacker doesn't like how a coin flip could determine a winner

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.