Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,187,874 members, 7,933,269 topics. Date: Tuesday, 27 August 2024 at 11:07 PM

15 Farmers Killed In Fresh Fulani, Agatu Clash - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 15 Farmers Killed In Fresh Fulani, Agatu Clash (11854 Views)

Fulani Herdmen Kill 15 Farmers In Benue This Morning / BENUE: APC Youth Leader, 3 Others Killed In Fresh Fulani Herdsmen, Farmers Clash / Eight Persons Die In Fulani/agatu Clash In Kogi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 15 Farmers Killed In Fresh Fulani, Agatu Clash by Abayhormy(m): 8:41pm On Jan 05, 2016
Fulani again!?
Was d president even asked about ds Fulani menace @ d presidential media chat? Anyone?
Re: 15 Farmers Killed In Fresh Fulani, Agatu Clash by anzaku47(m): 8:42pm On Jan 05, 2016
Fulani and this their trouble... are this people having new year resolution at all?
Re: 15 Farmers Killed In Fresh Fulani, Agatu Clash by m4una(m): 8:44pm On Jan 05, 2016
Educate these ppl, and let them know that life has got value...

"Thank God only fifteen ppl died" is a statement one can only hear in nigeria, no regard for human life. embarassed
Re: 15 Farmers Killed In Fresh Fulani, Agatu Clash by chesterlee(m): 8:48pm On Jan 05, 2016
Macelliot:

Ngeneukwenu and beremx are hypocrites...

Watch those 'sai baba chanting' zombies avoid this thread like a plague!

Awon Iranu!
Re: 15 Farmers Killed In Fresh Fulani, Agatu Clash by TimeManager(m): 8:49pm On Jan 05, 2016
Should we really be saying hausa/fulani or hausa?. There are also percentages of illiterates in virtually every tribe but these tribe are deadly in havoc. And to find out that this carnivores tendencies is being fuelled by the so called big men who are the real owners of those cows. I think the north have to revisit their tribal standings and sound it out who really owns the north. This is preposterous.

The truth has spoken!
Re: 15 Farmers Killed In Fresh Fulani, Agatu Clash by Nobody: 8:51pm On Jan 05, 2016
GodasWin3:
Download this Free Vidsss

My friend....you need Jesus. Urgently.

Take that pic off.
Re: 15 Farmers Killed In Fresh Fulani, Agatu Clash by tinktanker: 8:51pm On Jan 05, 2016
And some bastard will say fulani can't kill a fly.

1 Like

Re: 15 Farmers Killed In Fresh Fulani, Agatu Clash by freeze001(f): 8:56pm On Jan 05, 2016
Mmmm...how to break this down for you now...

The security apparatus is controlled by a central authority and the moment that authority is not disposed to checking these incidences of violence and murder/wanton destruction, it continues to wax stronger as we currently have going on.

Now from my post, the first and obvious option is to address the devolution of powers so that issues of security are in the hands of component units like the regions or states as we have and that way there is no reason why the state governors will not be able to address issues, they are closer to the people and self-policing ensures that indigenes of an area serve as the police and security forces with deeper and better knowledge of the terrain and culture of their people. It is a little simple-minded of u to reduce it to dividing Nigeria to stop Fulani attacks on farmers.

However, the total division becomes a last resort which cannot be wished away if the powers that be refuse to address these issues from the root and put power in the hands of the people rather than arrogate it to an obscure centre and pick and choose when to live up to their responsibilities or not.
Furthermore, that fulani herdsmen are wanderers does not place them above proper rules of engagement. If the current leadership within this unitary system of govt cannot deal with the issues because the person at the helm of affairs is sympathetic to the destructive nature of his people, then u will agree with me that in the event of a separation, the leaders of new countries will protect their own more diligently because it is theirs. It will certainly not be like the current situation where the president and security apparatus under him turn a blind eye because it is not his people that are killed or their properties destroyed.

Do u not see how he is actively pursuing rebuilding the North East with funds from the South even when the destructive elements called boko haram are still on active rampage? This is because it is his area and his people and the power is in his hands to do as he pleases to the detriment of others!

Kikero112:

Leaving aside the fact that the herdsmen too are being attacked, and their cattle stolen as well.....let's see....

You are saying that we should divide Nigeria and as a result, fulani cattle herders would stop attacking farmers.

Hilarious.

In the first instance....many of those Fulani did not start wandering when Nigeria became an independent state. They were wandering long before there was a Nigeria....and long before there was some African empires too. A few more borders are not going to stop them...especially when the Sahara is pushing down.(I am not fulani BTW....and I think that they should stop herding cattle. That era is long over).

Second....how does splitting Nigeria protect the farmers in this case? How does it answer the questions of poor land management, and illiteracy that are the real cause of the problems fuelling the current crisis?

Stop using a power screwdriver....when a simple hammer would have worked.

1 Like

Re: 15 Farmers Killed In Fresh Fulani, Agatu Clash by Old2020: 9:03pm On Jan 05, 2016
To all SE...don't be fooled, these are not fulani. These are paid assassins by haters of Igbos. They use Fulani to deflect their agenda. These are the same evil bastards that invaded and disrupted Orient Petroleum refinery production. These are the same wicked bastards coming to sabotage Anambra recent announcement of self sufficiency in rice and export. Thiese wicked evil and envious bastards are bent on not seeing anything good come out of SE and SS.
Re: 15 Farmers Killed In Fresh Fulani, Agatu Clash by emajoe: 9:10pm On Jan 05, 2016
chesterlee:
Buhari is yet to release a statement on the Havoc his brothers are wrecking on Nigerians.

Extreme insensitivity!!!

How did we get here?
BY CHANGE!
SAI BUHARI.
Re: 15 Farmers Killed In Fresh Fulani, Agatu Clash by Nobody: 9:11pm On Jan 05, 2016
Kikero112:

Time we ended subsistence farming....and cattle herding in this country. Times have changed. It isn't the 12th century anymore.

How would you convince an illiterate herdsman on the need to stop his age long roaming and adopt modernize farming? They are illiterate in the first place, will likely go against (rather ruthlessly) any plan to cage them in settlements.....

It's hard to convince a literate to change old ways....moreso for an illiterate.

Then the second point I grasped from ur argument is population explosion.....I keep telling them that with rate at which we breeed and the more land we grab for habitation....Agriculture is doomed. So any one harping on agriculture as the el Dorado for economic emancipation in d wake of the oil glut is sure counting losses.
Re: 15 Farmers Killed In Fresh Fulani, Agatu Clash by Rexyl(m): 9:11pm On Jan 05, 2016
when will the Fulani live peacefully with their hosts and stop their thirst for blood? Their evils will make it difficult for Nigerians to live as a nation. Buhari should try all he could do to make them know how to love peace and live in peace with their host communities.
Re: 15 Farmers Killed In Fresh Fulani, Agatu Clash by irynterri(f): 9:24pm On Jan 05, 2016
flokii:
which ones be Agatu again..

are they also Nigerians?
there are more than 200 tribes in this country,the country does nt hv only 3 tribes
Re: 15 Farmers Killed In Fresh Fulani, Agatu Clash by kunlegboye(m): 9:29pm On Jan 05, 2016
mallamseifaldin:
The most feared Tribe in Nigeria = Fulani
and the most crude tribe as well
Re: 15 Farmers Killed In Fresh Fulani, Agatu Clash by flokii: 9:31pm On Jan 05, 2016
irynterri:
there are more than 200 tribes in this country,the country does nt hv only 3 tribes

I'm very much aware dear..

just that this one is new... I don't I've seen or read of such tribe bfor
Re: 15 Farmers Killed In Fresh Fulani, Agatu Clash by Reference(m): 9:48pm On Jan 05, 2016
Our problem is not corruption but structure. These recurring acts give ammunition to seperatists and seccessionists. We have said agriculture as a mass employment industry is our get-out-of jail card in the face of economic gloom. How many will remain on their farms with these knowing well that the middle-belt, the epicentre of the tumult is the food basket of Nigeria. We have serious structural problems in Nigeria that will come to a boil in a few years time.

Let us keep issues in proper perspective and not leave our kitchen to go up in a blaze while we watch with keen distraction the anti-corruption drama.
Re: 15 Farmers Killed In Fresh Fulani, Agatu Clash by Nobody: 10:24pm On Jan 05, 2016
wiseoneking:
Hardcore Terrorist alert!

Good evening.

You have just called me a terrorist, despite the fact that I have never attacked or killed anyone in my life, I have never built or exploded bombs in my life, and I have never ever hurt anyone in the name of my religion, which by the way is Christianity.You do not know me, and yet you proceed to bear false witness against me.

I am sorry, but I am going to report you. You have insulted me deeply. If you do not like my comment, refute it with facts. Do not resort to infantile abuse.

Good evening, and good luck.

And grow up.
Re: 15 Farmers Killed In Fresh Fulani, Agatu Clash by ajepako(f): 10:38pm On Jan 05, 2016
flokii:
which ones be Agatu again..

are they also Nigerians?

I tire oh. In fact, I didn't know Agatu is a tribe in Nigeria.

As a kid, anytime we did or dressed like uncivilized people, my grandmother will loving call us Agatu ..

Na now I know say na tribe.. Apology to agatu people oh... grin grin
Re: 15 Farmers Killed In Fresh Fulani, Agatu Clash by rawtruth(m): 10:39pm On Jan 05, 2016
Kikero112:

Simple...and FYI....it does not have to do with your uncle Bubu

The problem is that in a country where most people are subsitence farmers, and where the local government does not know the meaning of the word ''Land Management'', and where cattle herders think that roaming around with your cattle is still the beat policy.....forgetting that population is increasing, and as a result the availability of free land for grazing is decreasing....yes such disasters are bound to happen.

You must note that the Fulanis attacked because they were attacked. Three of their men died. Yet....your hate for FUlanis makes you see them as some sort of ''forest spirits'' that do unreasonable things. It hardly crosses your mind that they too are being attakced.

But I am not here to defend the Fulani....and even if their men died...it is better to report it to the police rather than take the laws into their own hands.(And that leads me to the poor state of the Police in our rural areas. Where was the Police? ).

The problem is not the Fulanis.

The problem is

1.Poor land management practices.

2.Poor education....which means that we have two groups of illiterates who think that shilfting cultivation and cattle herding are viable means of agriculture in an era of growing population and climate change.

3.Poor policing. The reason why people take the laws into their own hands is because the Law is not busy doing its job.

In my opinion, Bubu's agric, law and interior ministers,as well as the state and LGA chairmen should be up and doing. They should sort out the problems here. So that....at the end of the day we can all live in peace.

Instead of calling for the expulsion of the Fulani in language that is reminiscent of the anti-Semitic drivel of the Nazis.....or the cockroach laden language of Rwandan Hutu extremists.

Time we ended subsistence farming....and cattle herding in this country. Times have changed. It isn't the 12th century anymore.

Bla bla bla. Who do you think you are dribbling?

Fulanis are out on an expansionist mission and they are not relenting. That's why they refused to touch the 100billion naira made available by the previous govt for cattle owners to access and establish ranches to domesticate all cattle within five years. Instead, they have been insisting that each state provides grazing reserves for their herdsmen and cattle. The states refused and many individuals told them to take the whole money and convert their vast and largely empty plains into modern ranches equipped with every needed facility; they still couldn't listen. They are out to conquer Nigeria as a whole using their herdsmen in the villages, while we continue to make noise in the townships. They are almost succeeding as the President continues to pretend that he is not aware of the atrocities being committed by his kinsmen who have been rated by the International Terror Watch group as the fourth most violent terror group in the world.

Tell that "undulating" story to the birds.

1 Like

Re: 15 Farmers Killed In Fresh Fulani, Agatu Clash by Nobody: 10:52pm On Jan 05, 2016
rawtruth:

Bla bla bla. Who do you think you are dribbling?

Fulanis are out on an expansionist mission and they are not relenting. That's why they refused to touch the 100billion naira made available by the previous govt for cattle owners to access and establish ranches to domesticate all cattle within five years. Instead, they have been insisting that each state provides grazing reserves for their herdsmen and cattle. The states refused and many individuals told them to take the whole money and convert their vast and largely empty plains into modern ranches equipped with every needed facility; they still couldn't listen. They are out to conquer Nigeria as a whole using their herdsmen in the villages, while we continue to make noise in the townships. They are almost succeeding as the President continues to pretend that he is not aware of the atrocities being committed by his kinsmen who have been rated by the International Terror Watch group as the fourth most violent terror group in the world.

Tell that "undulating" story to the birds.

And in response.... from the article:Farmer-Herder Clashes Amplify Challenge for Beleaguered Nigerian Security by Michael W. Baca(Published July 16, 2015).

The cause of this current bout of clashes remains an issue of debate among Nigeria watchers. Some have depicted the violence as a continuation of ethno-religious struggles that predate the colonial era. However, the relative absence of such widespread bloodshed throughout much of Nigeria’s post-independence history suggests more contemporary factors are to blame. Specifically, it appears the upsurge in farmer-herder violence stems from the confluence of four developments: the ongoing expansion of land under cultivation, environmental degradation across Africa’s Sahel region, the decline of traditional authority figures, and the recent rise of large-scale cattle rustling.

Historically, pastoralists and agriculturalists in Nigeria enjoyed a fairly symbiotic relationship. Herders’ livestock provided farmers with daily goods, as well as manure to fertilize their fields. In turn, pastoralists obtained grain and other farm products from agriculturalist communities. However, this system increasingly shows signs of breaking down as the growth of farming activities has drastically diminished Nigeria’s supply of grazing land. The herds and flocks of pastoralists now frequently encroach upon cultivated fields, much to the outrage of local agriculturalists. Ensuing confrontations can quickly degenerate into armed clashes that poison communal relations and lead to further instances of violence.

This volatile situation has been aggravated by an influx of herders escaping deteriorating environmental conditions in the Sahel, a semiarid belt of territory stretching from Senegal to the Red Sea. Soil erosion from destructive agricultural practices and overgrazing, along with shifting weather patterns attributed to climate change, has transformed vast tracts of grassland into desert, driving many pastoralists southwards. Those entering Nigeria’s savanna regions place additional pressure on land resources already being fought over by competing communities. Worse, these new arrivals generally lack any familiarity with local grazing routes or the surrounding populations, raising the likelihood of violent misunderstandings occurring.

In the past, traditional leaders could have played a key role in mediating land disputes involving farmers and herders. Unfortunately, most of these figures have seen their influence decline over the past two decades, as a consequence of changes in Nigeria’s political economy. Chief among these has been the devolution of political authority from the central government, which has spawned a new leadership class at the local level. This freshly empowered elite draws its support almost exclusively from sedentary (i.e., farming) communities and therefore has little incentive to serve as a fair arbitrator. Bereft of opportunities to peacefully resolve disagreements over access to resources, many pastoralists seem to consider violence as their only viable option.

The rise of cattle rustling, meanwhile, has followed the price of meat steadily increasing in West Africa’s booming urban centers, with crime syndicates increasingly targeting herds. The results have been devastating for pastoralists: according to Nigerian media reports, thieves stole approximately 60,000 head of cattle in 2013 alone. In response to this threat, many herders have armed themselves with semi-automatic weapons, a move that has frequently led to heavy casualties when they come into conflict with farmers. What’s more, victimized pastoralists often blame nearby agriculturalist populations for their loss of livestock, even in cases where the actual perpetrators were Fulani kinsmen. This frequently leads to bloody retaliatory attacks that can leave entire villages devastated.

The overall effect of rising farmer-herder violence has been nothing short of disastrous for Nigeria. Death tolls from clashes regularly number in the dozens; a spate of pastoralist attacks during the final days of former Nigerian president Goodluck Jonathan’s administration left approximately 100 individuals dead. One particularly violent period from December 2013 to mid-April 2014 witnessed over 1,000 deaths, according to Human Rights Watch. On top of the mounting number of fatalities, the bloodshed has contributed to Nigeria’s crisis of internally displaced persons. A single day of violence in Benue State this past January allegedly left thousands of people homeless.

In response to the mounting insecurity, many populations have formed self-defense forces. Although set up to protect vulnerable communities, these groups generally present another security challenge to Nigeria. The evolution of Ombatse, an ethnic militia founded by members of Nasarawa State’s Eggon people, illustrates this point. Initially formed to counter perceived herder encroachments, Ombatse transformed into a chauvinistic organization engaged in acts of political violence and criminality. At one point, it came into direct conflict with Abuja, reportedly killing over 70 Nigerian security personnel in a May 2013 ambush.

The fact that the majority of farmer-herder clashes pit Muslim Fulani pastoralists against Christian peasants has exacerbated ethnoreligious hostilities at both a national and local level. Prominent Christian clerics have claimed that the Fulani act as proxies for northern Nigeria’s elites and/or Boko Haram, while some Muslim organizations have bitterly denounced the alleged mistreatment Fulani herders suffer at the hands of empowered Christian communities and state agents.

Beyond undermining security and inflaming social tensions, agriculturalist-pastoralist clashes have also had a harmful impact on Nigeria’s agrarian economy. The violence disrupts farming activities, reducing crop yields and retarding desperately needed efforts to modernize Nigeria’s inefficient agricultural sector. Furthermore, it compels many herders to shift their migration patterns, to the detriment of a livestock industry identified by some informed observers as one of the keys to greater economic diversity and growth in Nigeria.

As daunting as the challenge may appear, Nigeria has options to address farmer-herder violence. The Buhari administration should follow through on previous pledges by the Nigerian government to actively support the Great Green Wall for the Sahara and Sahel Initiative, an African Union-backed project that seeks to arrest desertification in the Sahel through the aggressive planting of trees. In addition, Buhari and state-level officials must expand the number of functioning government-sanctioned grazing zones in Nigeria. Both of these developments would greatly reduce friction over land resources. Finally, Abuja should take steps to dismantle the armed cattle rustling rings wreaking havoc in Nigeria’s north.

(I am not asking you to love the Fulanis,or to accept their way of life.I am just asking for solutions that would not involve Rwanda style disasters. If you don't get it....sorry).
Re: 15 Farmers Killed In Fresh Fulani, Agatu Clash by ogwucheveekee(f): 11:08pm On Jan 05, 2016
Not again na tis people
Re: 15 Farmers Killed In Fresh Fulani, Agatu Clash by Tex42(m): 11:12pm On Jan 05, 2016
Bubu's foot soldiers doing what they know how to do best...

Nnamdi Kanu and Dasuki are threats to National unity and security while his nomad fulani brothers are blessing in death/destruction clothing.

Keep up the witch hunt. War against corruption ma left yellow azz

1 Like

Re: 15 Farmers Killed In Fresh Fulani, Agatu Clash by rawtruth(m): 12:07am On Jan 06, 2016
Kikero112:

And in response.... from the article:Farmer-Herder Clashes Amplify Challenge for Beleaguered Nigerian Security by Michael W. Baca(Published July 16, 2015).

The cause of this current bout of clashes remains an issue of debate among Nigeria watchers. Some have depicted the violence as a continuation of ethno-religious struggles that predate the colonial era. However, the relative absence of such widespread bloodshed throughout much of Nigeria’s post-independence history suggests more contemporary factors are to blame. Specifically, it appears the upsurge in farmer-herder violence stems from the confluence of four developments: the ongoing expansion of land under cultivation, environmental degradation across Africa’s Sahel region, the decline of traditional authority figures, and the recent rise of large-scale cattle rustling.

Historically, pastoralists and agriculturalists in Nigeria enjoyed a fairly symbiotic relationship. Herders’ livestock provided farmers with daily goods, as well as manure to fertilize their fields. In turn, pastoralists obtained grain and other farm products from agriculturalist communities. However, this system increasingly shows signs of breaking down as the growth of farming activities has drastically diminished Nigeria’s supply of grazing land. The herds and flocks of pastoralists now frequently encroach upon cultivated fields, much to the outrage of local agriculturalists. Ensuing confrontations can quickly degenerate into armed clashes that poison communal relations and lead to further instances of violence.

This volatile situation has been aggravated by an influx of herders escaping deteriorating environmental conditions in the Sahel, a semiarid belt of territory stretching from Senegal to the Red Sea. Soil erosion from destructive agricultural practices and overgrazing, along with shifting weather patterns attributed to climate change, has transformed vast tracts of grassland into desert, driving many pastoralists southwards. Those entering Nigeria’s savanna regions place additional pressure on land resources already being fought over by competing communities. Worse, these new arrivals generally lack any familiarity with local grazing routes or the surrounding populations, raising the likelihood of violent misunderstandings occurring.

In the past, traditional leaders could have played a key role in mediating land disputes involving farmers and herders. Unfortunately, most of these figures have seen their influence decline over the past two decades, as a consequence of changes in Nigeria’s political economy. Chief among these has been the devolution of political authority from the central government, which has spawned a new leadership class at the local level. This freshly empowered elite draws its support almost exclusively from sedentary (i.e., farming) communities and therefore has little incentive to serve as a fair arbitrator. Bereft of opportunities to peacefully resolve disagreements over access to resources, many pastoralists seem to consider violence as their only viable option.

The rise of cattle rustling, meanwhile, has followed the price of meat steadily increasing in West Africa’s booming urban centers, with crime syndicates increasingly targeting herds. The results have been devastating for pastoralists: according to Nigerian media reports, thieves stole approximately 60,000 head of cattle in 2013 alone. In response to this threat, many herders have armed themselves with semi-automatic weapons, a move that has frequently led to heavy casualties when they come into conflict with farmers. What’s more, victimized pastoralists often blame nearby agriculturalist populations for their loss of livestock, even in cases where the actual perpetrators were Fulani kinsmen. This frequently leads to bloody retaliatory attacks that can leave entire villages devastated.

The overall effect of rising farmer-herder violence has been nothing short of disastrous for Nigeria. Death tolls from clashes regularly number in the dozens; a spate of pastoralist attacks during the final days of former Nigerian president Goodluck Jonathan’s administration left approximately 100 individuals dead. One particularly violent period from December 2013 to mid-April 2014 witnessed over 1,000 deaths, according to Human Rights Watch. On top of the mounting number of fatalities, the bloodshed has contributed to Nigeria’s crisis of internally displaced persons. A single day of violence in Benue State this past January allegedly left thousands of people homeless.

In response to the mounting insecurity, many populations have formed self-defense forces. Although set up to protect vulnerable communities, these groups generally present another security challenge to Nigeria. The evolution of Ombatse, an ethnic militia founded by members of Nasarawa State’s Eggon people, illustrates this point. Initially formed to counter perceived herder encroachments, Ombatse transformed into a chauvinistic organization engaged in acts of political violence and criminality. At one point, it came into direct conflict with Abuja, reportedly killing over 70 Nigerian security personnel in a May 2013 ambush.

The fact that the majority of farmer-herder clashes pit Muslim Fulani pastoralists against Christian peasants has exacerbated ethnoreligious hostilities at both a national and local level. Prominent Christian clerics have claimed that the Fulani act as proxies for northern Nigeria’s elites and/or Boko Haram, while some Muslim organizations have bitterly denounced the alleged mistreatment Fulani herders suffer at the hands of empowered Christian communities and state agents.

Beyond undermining security and inflaming social tensions, agriculturalist-pastoralist clashes have also had a harmful impact on Nigeria’s agrarian economy. The violence disrupts farming activities, reducing crop yields and retarding desperately needed efforts to modernize Nigeria’s inefficient agricultural sector. Furthermore, it compels many herders to shift their migration patterns, to the detriment of a livestock industry identified by some informed observers as one of the keys to greater economic diversity and growth in Nigeria.

As daunting as the challenge may appear, Nigeria has options to address farmer-herder violence. The Buhari administration should follow through on previous pledges by the Nigerian government to actively support the Great Green Wall for the Sahara and Sahel Initiative, an African Union-backed project that seeks to arrest desertification in the Sahel through the aggressive planting of trees. In addition, Buhari and state-level officials must expand the number of functioning government-sanctioned grazing zones in Nigeria. Both of these developments would greatly reduce friction over land resources. Finally, Abuja should take steps to dismantle the armed cattle rustling rings wreaking havoc in Nigeria’s north.

(I am not asking you to love the Fulanis,or to accept their way of life.I am just asking for solutions that would not involve Rwanda style disasters. If you don't get it....sorry).

I have read volumes of articles on this matter and i can tell you that the number of theoretical solutions to the problem are quite voluminous ...but none has made any better sense than the Ranch System. We can go round and round in multiple circles but the plain and simple solution remains the adoption of the ranch system by cattle owners. Fulanis need to respond to changing realities positively if they truly wish to be seen as not deliberately causing harm to indigenous communities out of an inherent proclivity to murder and domination.

What is so difficult about accepting money from govt to construct ranches for a more lucrative and secure cattle breeding business? Why the insistence that they must be accommodated all over the country when they have more than enough empty lands in the places where they have been migrating southwards? Cattle breeding is a private business and so must not be hoisted on communities that have been battling to feed their expanding populations from their overcrowded lands?

The talk about "Green Wall", etc, is a diversion; gren walls are meant to check desertification and not for the feeding of cattle. Simply build ranches wherever they can buy land, or govt can help them to buy land; put and confine cattle in the ranches and feed them with grown grass-as is done in country with even higher number of cattle herds. This is the way, and the only way too. Any other alternative that makes coercive demands on people's lands is a waste of time and a demonstration of how unwilling we are to stop this needless and avoidable bloodshed.

1 Like

Re: 15 Farmers Killed In Fresh Fulani, Agatu Clash by sonnie10: 12:13am On Jan 06, 2016
mallamseifaldin:
The most feared Tribe in Nigeria = Fulani
Fulani is not the most feared. They only have advantage over other tribes because the president is their tribesman and they are permitted to carry AK47's with which they use to kill and destroy other regions.
Re: 15 Farmers Killed In Fresh Fulani, Agatu Clash by Nobody: 12:35am On Jan 06, 2016
Let me disabuse your minds.
No truce can be reached between the fulanis and the farmers and here is why
1- the fulanis believe that land belongs to God.
2-according to African Traditional belief, land is inherited by blood. Land is gotten via birth rites not blood shed or coercion.

With this conflicting mindset, there bound to be war. Beside the fulanis see the land as the abode of slaves who are supposed to be hausanised or fulanised
Re: 15 Farmers Killed In Fresh Fulani, Agatu Clash by Nobody: 1:46am On Jan 06, 2016
Fulani herdmen another word for terrorists/ rapists.
Re: 15 Farmers Killed In Fresh Fulani, Agatu Clash by Nobody: 2:04am On Jan 06, 2016
jnrbayano:
The only difference between these Fulani herdsmen and their cattle is just in the number of legs.

It is an insult to compare them with cows
....because cows are more valuable and cows behave better too.
In the history of violence, (terrorism/mass murder and rape) Fulani people take the lead.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 15 Farmers Killed In Fresh Fulani, Agatu Clash by Rawani: 2:15am On Jan 06, 2016
Kikero112:

Simple...and FYI....it does not have to do with your uncle Bubu

The problem is that in a country where most people are subsitence farmers, and where the local government does not know the meaning of the word ''Land Management'', and where cattle herders think that roaming around with your cattle is still the beat policy.....forgetting that population is increasing, and as a result the availability of free land for grazing is decreasing....yes such disasters are bound to happen.

You must note that the Fulanis attacked because they were attacked. Three of their men died. Yet....your hate for FUlanis makes you see them as some sort of ''forest spirits'' that do unreasonable things. It hardly crosses your mind that they too are being attakced.

But I am not here to defend the Fulani....and even if their men died...it is better to report it to the police rather than take the laws into their own hands.(And that leads me to the poor state of the Police in our rural areas. Where was the Police? ).

The problem is not the Fulanis.

The problem is

1.Poor land management practices.

2.Poor education....which means that we have two groups of illiterates who think that shilfting cultivation and cattle herding are viable means of agriculture in an era of growing population and climate change.

3.Poor policing. The reason why people take the laws into their own hands is because the Law is not busy doing its job.

In my opinion, Bubu's agric, law and interior ministers,as well as the state and LGA chairmen should be up and doing. They should sort out the problems here. So that....at the end of the day we can all live in peace.

Instead of calling for the expulsion of the Fulani in language that is reminiscent of the anti-Semitic drivel of the Nazis.....or the cockroach laden language of Rwandan Hutu extremists.

Your objectivity is refreshing. Kudos.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

‘Why Bitumen Exploration Is Just Taking Off In Ondo’ / We Arrest Boko Haram Members In Lagos Almost On Daily Basis – Army General / We Are Working Hard To Stabilize Power Situation In Nigeria, Says Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 126
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.