Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,179,499 members, 7,908,396 topics. Date: Friday, 02 August 2024 at 04:08 AM

Specially Or Especially – Is There A Difference? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Specially Or Especially – Is There A Difference? (494 Views)

Apply 100% Scholarship For African Students, Specially Made For Nigerians. / Advice To Jambites(especially Those Who Are Writing The Mock Exam) / Difference Between SPECIALLY And ESPECIALLY? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Specially Or Especially – Is There A Difference? by Nobody: 8:17am On Jan 08, 2016
A reader recently asked me to explain the difference between ‘specially’ and ‘especially’ .

In order to find the answer, I looked at the Cambridge International Corpus, which is a collection of almost two billion words of English from many different sources. Cambridge University Press’s authors and editors use the corpus to find evidence about the use of English.

The first thing I discovered was that ‘ especially ’ is much more common than ‘ specially ’. In fact, ‘especially’ occurs 149.2 times for every million words of text, as opposed to 8.1 times for ‘specially’.

The second thing I discovered was that although there are some useful guidelines, there are very many examples of proficient users of English ignoring all of them! However, there are definite patterns, and my advice to learners of English would be to stick to them.

The main difference is to do with meaning. In the following two cases, it is much more common to use ‘especially’ than ‘specially’:
Re: Specially Or Especially – Is There A Difference? by Nobody: 8:19am On Jan 08, 2016
1) to mean ‘ particularly ’ or ‘ above all ’: She enjoys exercise, especially aerobics.

I especially liked his latest novel. With this meaning, it is extremely common to use ‘especially’ at the beginning of the second clause in a sentence, after a comma. She painted a lot, especially in the early years. His work was poor, especially compared to that of his colleagues.

2) before an adjective to mean ‘ very’ or ‘ extremely’: She’s not especially talented. Getting food supplies to the region is especially urgent now.

This meaning very often occurs in negative sentences: It was reasonable, if not especially inspired, advice. Their teaching methods were not especially effective. Although ‘specially’ is generally less common, there are two situations in which it is preferred to ‘especially’:

1) to mean ‘for a specific purpose’: The uniform was specially designed for women. We bought the chair specially for Grandma when she visits. With this meaning, ‘specially’ very often occurs before a past participle: specially modified equipment specially trained staff

2) to mean ‘in a way that is not ordinary ’: We don’t want to be treated specially. These two uses of ‘specially’ are related to the common adjective ‘ special’. There is an adjective ‘ especial’, but it is very rare, and mostly found in very formal or literary writing.

Finally, a warning about a couple of common mistakes with ‘especially’. Firstly, make sure of the spelling! It is one of the 50 most commonly misspelled words in English.

Secondly, do not try to use ‘especially’ at the beginning of a sentence. Use ‘ in particular ’ instead: The concert was wonderful. In particular, I enjoyed the Mozart symphony.
Re: Specially Or Especially – Is There A Difference? by Nobody: 8:20am On Jan 08, 2016
by Liz Walter

FRONT PAGE PLS
Re: Specially Or Especially – Is There A Difference? by Solowande(m): 8:52am On Jan 08, 2016
na u bring problem, u ended up solving d problem. ekushe

1 Like

Re: Specially Or Especially – Is There A Difference? by Nobody: 2:01pm On Jan 08, 2016
Solowande:
na u bring problem, u ended up solving d problem. ekushe
master problem solver

(1) (Reply)

2016 Scholarship At Beni American University (BAU), Cross River State / Studying For An Msc Degree In South Africa / If Only God Can Help FUTO Students,that Way I Will Believe In Nigeria Again.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.