Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,191,311 members, 7,943,749 topics. Date: Monday, 09 September 2024 at 12:06 AM

Can A Visa Be Deferred? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Can A Visa Be Deferred? (5695 Views)

BRT : A Dream Deferred / Is Nigeria A Visa-free Country To Gambia With My Nigerian Ecowas Passport? / At Last I Have Been Granted A Visa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Go Down)

Can A Visa Be Deferred? by dasa: 6:07pm On Jun 18, 2009
hello,

My friend was refused a visa to study in the uk. She deffered her admission and appealled. She was given the visa today to travel in september. The problem is, she is getting married in august. Is it possible to defer the visa? Just like one can defer admission.

If u know about this, please post. Thanks
Re: Can A Visa Be Deferred? by DisGuy: 9:47pm On Jun 18, 2009
as long as the visa is still valid

if she is given visa for three years for example starting september, she doesnt have to necessarily travel in sept
but she might have to explain at the entry
Re: Can A Visa Be Deferred? by SamMilla1(m): 11:51am On Jun 22, 2009
Like the poster above me said, she can even travel in December but she will have to back herself up with evidence that her marriage delayed her.
The person to check her in at the port of entry will have to make an instant decission, Therefore he/she requires a conviction. Brits are very strange thinking fellows and the Nigerian stigma doesnt help.
They believe that an average Nigerian is Dangerous and can do anything.
Re: Can A Visa Be Deferred? by koolchicco: 12:36pm On Jun 22, 2009
Dis Guy:

I dont quite get it!!, Since she's been given a student visa for a course that runs from september till(whenever),she could still be able to travel after her wedding in August,cant she? However i wouldnt advice her to make a late arrival to UK as in most cases now they tend to deport any student arriving late for his/her course back to their country inconsiderately THOUGH in some case they require overwhelming conviction/prove but presently the UK border's been made tighter and the image of our country(Nigeria) as negatively viewed by the Brits IMM is not helping matter hence she stands little or NO chance of convincing them.Consequently she should make all the neccesary arrangement to ensuring that she would make it b4 the full commencement of the course(i think btw 5th to 21st sept).
GOOD LUCK!!

P.S. RESPONDING TO THE ABOVE QUOTE: VISA ALONE DOESNT QUARRANTEE ENTRY TO THE UK ANYWAYS!!!
Re: Can A Visa Be Deferred? by tayoTFC(m): 12:39pm On Jun 22, 2009
it is not possible to deferred a visa , u can only extend your intended arrival date .so far u have a valid visa and u can not travel on the date stated on ur visa application form, it a free world , this could only be used against ur further visa renuwal should u refuse to make use of  the visa and its expire ,possibility exist that ECO(ENTRY CLEARANCE OFFICER) might use has an excuse to refuse u a visa renuwal if u dont have a geinue reason for not travel on the intended date of arrival /or u did not use the visa atall ,but once u have a geinue reason like marriage b4 ur traveling date , sickness it wount affect ur visa. pls, always a geinue reason /confirmed with supporting documented evidence. NOTE that u can only defered ur Adminsion.

thanks
Re: Can A Visa Be Deferred? by MrCrackles(m): 2:17pm On Jun 22, 2009
A visa once issued cannot be deferred!
Re: Can A Visa Be Deferred? by Nobody: 3:13pm On Jun 22, 2009
Dis Guy:

if she is given visa for three years for example starting september, she doesnt have to necessarily travel in sept
but she might have to explain at the entry

GBAM!,
Re: Can A Visa Be Deferred? by darmilorla(f): 3:50pm On Jun 22, 2009
they all said it all, those oyibo's are very intelligent, giving a visa dosnt mean u're guaranteed to enter the uk, those IMM at the point of entry can question a dead man, so she has 2 prepared well, cos they are 2 inqusitive, if she can support her claims with valid documents of her wedding,then no wahala,
Re: Can A Visa Be Deferred? by koolchicco: 4:18pm On Jun 22, 2009
darmilorla:

they all said it all, those oyibo's are very intelligent, giving a visa dosnt mean u're guaranteed to enter the uk, those IMM at the point of entry can question a dead man, so she has 2 prepared well, cos they are 2 inqusitive, if she can support her claims with valid documents of her wedding,then no wahala,

GOOD TALK!! However my reason for suggesting that she should try to meet up with the arrival date as i stated above was cos of the experience my cousin had last time.They almost deported her on the grounds that she quickly got married in NAIJA in other to bring over her partner later thus neglected her studies in the uk which according to them(IMM) is a previllage hence should be paramount(RUBBISH REASON).But for the intervation of some well placed peeps and fortunately after some calls were put through she was cleared but that wasnt until more than 24hrs.U neva know,the way these peeps think sometimes can be soo funny!!Just be careful.
ALL THE BEST!!
Re: Can A Visa Be Deferred? by manny4life(m): 4:48pm On Jun 22, 2009
darmilorla:

I agree with you. Answer only what you are asked, no long story. Also if they ask for proof, show them.
Re: Can A Visa Be Deferred? by Supercharg: 7:16pm On Jun 22, 2009
very tricky , if she was issued a visa to study , then she is expected to meet all requirements to study . Including resuming classes at the required time. It will look suspicious if school has been in session for a few months/ weeks, when she attempts to make her entry to the UK.

Please have her contact her school , explain her situation and they will often be able to advise on what she should do , they might even be able to help by providing some documentation that will explain her peculiar situation to the Immi officer at the port of entry
Re: Can A Visa Be Deferred? by mikkyangel(m): 7:19pm On Jun 22, 2009
abeg try shift the weeding to july
Re: Can A Visa Be Deferred? by mikkyangel(m): 7:20pm On Jun 22, 2009
pppos! i meant wedding, tongue
Re: Can A Visa Be Deferred? by Supercharg: 7:32pm On Jun 22, 2009
on the other hand if going to the UK to study is truly important to her , do a quick registry marriage and come back during a school vacation for a proper white wedding
Re: Can A Visa Be Deferred? by rasputinn(m): 7:53pm On Jun 22, 2009
MrCrackles:

A visa once issued cannot be deferred!

Simple
Re: Can A Visa Be Deferred? by okokomeji: 12:42am On Jun 23, 2009
You can defer it, but you need to contact the admission director of your UK school. Again, if your documents and bank statement are genuine good luck. Bacause you will have to present those documents and re-issue your bank statement again when you are ready to leave after 6 months,
Re: Can A Visa Be Deferred? by Tats(m): 12:56am On Jun 23, 2009
Supercharg:

very tricky , if she was issued a visa to study , then she is expected to meet all requirements to study . Including resuming classes at the required time. It will look suspicious if school has been in session for a few months/ weeks, when she attempts to make her entry to the UK.

Please have her contact her school , explain her situation and they will often be able to advise on what she should do , they might even be able to help by providing some documentation that will explain her peculiar situation to the Immi officer at the port of entry

Very right.

brein:

GBAM!,

What is Gbam? is it saying that the poster was right?
Anyway, don't for a second think that you will be given a visa to resume school in September and you will turn up whenever you like and expect to be admitted into the country to study. You may probably be on the next flight back home if you do that!
Re: Can A Visa Be Deferred? by ban1(m): 11:40am On Jun 23, 2009
@okokomeji. U 're correct. If u want 2 defer its possible as long as ur documents are not from "Oluwole". Its like a fresh application to the entry clearance officer but not too serious one but to know if ur sponsor will be willing and able 2 sponsor in the new change of circumstances.
Re: Can A Visa Be Deferred? by DisGuy: 12:33pm On Jun 23, 2009
PS, im not saying she can defer the visa, just saying, if it's still valid and she has written agreement with the school to resume in january for example
then yes she can travel at a later date as long as its within explainanble time period
Re: Can A Visa Be Deferred? by justwise(m): 1:01pm On Jun 23, 2009
okokomeji:

You can defer it, but you need to contact the admission director of your UK school. Again, if your documents and bank statement are genuine good luck. Bacause you will have to present those documents and re-issue your bank statement again when you are ready to leave after 6 months,

No u can't. u can only defer ur course starting day or month but not visa. Ur visa start runing from the day it was given to u.
All she can do now is get intouch with the school, explain to them, ask for a letter addressed to IMM officer at the point of entry, 'just incase'.

When i was given a student visa, my course was supposed to start Sept 20th but i arrived Sept 27th but b4 then i wrote the school and explained to them, though i was not asked at the point of entry but i took that measure, just incase.
Re: Can A Visa Be Deferred? by MrCrackles(m): 1:04pm On Jun 23, 2009
I dont understand why there are so many idiots on this thread saying you can defer a visa! angry
Re: Can A Visa Be Deferred? by justwise(m): 1:08pm On Jun 23, 2009
Dis Guy:

PS, im not saying she can defer the visa, just saying, if it's still valid and she has written agreement with the school to resume in january for example
then yes she can travel at a later date as long as its within explainanble time period

That is tricky, she maybe refused entry or if she needs an extention in the future then she will pay for her late resuming, It happened to me, i lost couple of months while i was here cos i was having prob with fees and the bank, then when my visa expired, i applied for an extention, with all the excuses why i lost those months, they gave me 1yrs insteady of 2yrs that was given to all my mates.
Make no mistake, u don't get away with alot when it comes to dealing with IMM here
Re: Can A Visa Be Deferred? by justwise(m): 1:09pm On Jun 23, 2009
MrCrackles:

I dont understand why there are so many idiots on this thread saying you can defer a visa! angry

Tell me about it
Re: Can A Visa Be Deferred? by manny4life(m): 6:54pm On Jun 23, 2009
You cannot defer a visa, period. If at all they defer visas, that should be done at the embassy, make they would change the issuance date or something. A visa is not school acceptance letter as in her case, and moreover just because she was issued a visa does not guarantee her entry in to the UK. Immigration reserves the right to accept or reject her entrance and let people don't make such mistakes, however, she can take the chance of staying few months behind.
Re: Can A Visa Be Deferred? by Epiphany(m): 11:43am On Jun 24, 2009
She was refused the visa at first and then she appealed and got the visa. This already means that her name is flagged off as someone that was INITIALLY REFUSED the visa. That means that even if she gets to the immigration desk at any point of entry, she is liable to be questioned as to why she was initially refused the visa, even if it was due to no fault of hers. This has happened to me.

Her trying to defer this visa now (which is impossible) will only make things worse for her. Even asking at the embassy if its possible can get her into more problems. Best thing for her is to travel when she is supposed to travel. Whether she just got married or not is unimportant. I know couples that have gotten married and a few weeks after, one of them has had to leave to return to school. Otherwise, if she feels that she cannot leave her husband so soon etc etc, she should be prepared to forfeit that visa.

These Brits have a new rule now, which states that if a student does not appear in the first few weeks of study, the school should notify the home office and that students visa will be cancelled or something. Its one of these new Tier 1 or 2 requirements, where you need so be 'sponsored' by a school before you can get a visa. If you are then not going to use this particular visa due to your wanting to defer your admission, you would have to go through the same process again when you want to reapply - and in reapplying, you are never sure of whether you will secure that visa again.

My advice? Just use the visa you have on your passport NOW.
Re: Can A Visa Be Deferred? by Epiphany(m): 12:04pm On Jun 24, 2009
Sorry, forgot to add the link. Read the info on page 8 (Reporting Duties) point 20. However, i would suggest you read the WHOLE document very well.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/applicationforms/pbs/Tier4migrantguidance.pdf
Re: Can A Visa Be Deferred? by ban1(m): 10:57pm On Jun 24, 2009
@ Mr idiotCrackle, why are u so stupid with no manners. U have never advised anyone who needs advice on dis forum except 2 condemn. U need 2 grow up, i dont need to know ur age but u 're a goat. Educated fool,
Re: Can A Visa Be Deferred? by MrCrackles(m): 11:07pm On Jun 24, 2009
ban1:

@ Mr idiotCrackle, why are u so stupid with no manners. U have never advised anyone who needs advice on dis forum except 2 condemn. U need 2 grow up, i dont need to know ur age but u 're a goat. Educated fool,

You are only mad because you know you are clueless!
You gave a wrong advice and i gave a right one, so what is your problem?
On a good day, i wouldav showered you with torrent of abuses but i am not in the mood
People like you shouldnt be allowed on a public forum and even on the internet because you add nil value
You are a bloody trafficker like a South African! grin
Do us a favour, stop following my posts on this forum like a shit fly snooping around for fresh shit
Re: Can A Visa Be Deferred? by okokomeji: 5:58am On Jun 25, 2009
@ Mr idiotCrackle…

I know you are calling both Ban1 and I idiots.

Okay, I may need to send you back home for a little bit. Your family ain’t shit! Your crackhead father still dealing drugs, your midget mother will never tall, your lowlife nut ain’t no good and your brother “the Delta’s queen,” sorority street celebrity. All of your people put together are idiots.

Note!
When you applied to school in USA, UK and Germany; they ask you for bank statement, you carry “Oluwole” give them or better still if your family is rich give Original. After you paid admission and registration fees, they would issue you an I-20. If you were denied or want to defer, and want to re-apply at the embassy for Visa. You need to contact your school again. The school will ask for the issued I-20, you send it back to them and they will re-issue your I-20 and put expected date of graduation on it. In case of UK’s school is the same, just contact your director of admission, he or she would ask you to send the issued I-20 back and re-issue new one that will carry your expected date of graduation. That is just it! Consulars know you could get your visa today and get sick tomorrow. So that means life has finished for you? Definitely, no!
Re: Can A Visa Be Deferred? by okokomeji: 6:03am On Jun 25, 2009
@Ban1… I appreciate you brother, I am talking from experience.

Before I left out of country, I bought a clean sedan car with school runs’ money. I have helped 23 of my friends’ secured admissions overseas and they were all on scholarships. I used to stay in Miran, Lagos. I got 13 USA admissions and Visas, 4 UK admission and visa, 3 Germany’s school admissions and visas, 2 Helsinki, Finland, and one Sweden’s school admission and visa.
Really, I prefer USA admission most, because 11 out of 13 didn’t even have valid WAEC results, I printed everything on computer for them. I just made sure you had nice SAT score that could get you scholarship, once that is done, you paid for service fees, you are one foot in naija and another in USA. Then, I billed you for documents; e.g certificate of incorporation, says your father has company, bank statement, and some other unnecessary documents.

I have a Visa tips numbered 1 to 50, I called it “a wi ma ye wun,” meaning never failed. Any questions that consulates will ask you under two minutes of interview are inside it. Then, I tell my clients, if you see this skinny white lady with spots on her face, just memorize this & that numbers from the tips, that’s what she’s going to ask you or you see this black American guy with afro, he’s going to ask you this. It all worked for me after more than three years critical studying of foreign schools and embassies. I also interview more than 30 people who have gone to their various embassies; I would ask what questions they asked, documents they asked and interview total time.

UK school will verify your WACE because they have direct access to Ogba or Abuja. I don’t think they verify statement then. I mostly applied for them through UCAST.
In Germany, I only have two schools, once you passed the SAT is done deal, Intl University of Bremen now called Jacobs University and another American University in Germany, I only helped three students; because Germany has the longest Visa processing period, more than a month and they would verify all your documents. The mostly discouraging part is once you secured admission Visa is guaranteed but you may either deposit 6000 euros or have guarantor for (health insurance), which is not good for the less privileged.

For Sweden and Finland, schooling is free but you got to provide proof of health insurance. They both only have their embassies in Abuja, most time is herculean to go through all that.

I got my visa early June and my school resumed early August, I travelled late September. Before I travelled, I wrote to my school to give me 2 weeks extension, they never responded, I just said Bleep it. I was scared a little bit, because most people said they won’t let me in at the port of entry, when I got to Paris, they scrutinized my passport so much, I was scared over there too. I got to final destination, they just shaked my hand and said be a good student! I got to school admission process had ended. My assingned advisor, now taking to each of my intructors’ offices to put my name on their students’ list. At the end of the day, I still got my 4.0 to tell you America education curriculum is so easy.

When you applied to school in USA, UK and Germany; they ask you for bank statement, you carry “Oluwole” give them or better still if your family is rich give Original. After you paid admission and registration fees, they would issue you an I-20. If you were denied or want to defer, and want to re-apply at the embassy for Visa. You need to contact your school again. The school will ask for the issued I-20, you send it back to them and they will re-issue your I-20 and put expected date of graduation on it. In case of UK’s school is the same, just contact your director of admission, he or she would ask you to send the issued I-20 back and re-issue new one that will carry your expected date of graduation. That is just it! Consulates know you could get your visa today and get sick tomorrow. So that means life has finished for you? Definitely, no!

(1)

Requirements Toget A Visiting Visa To Canada / The End Of The Old Nigerian Passport (mrp), No More Renewal. / Cheap Schools In Canada

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.