Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,514 members, 7,951,132 topics. Date: Tuesday, 17 September 2024 at 11:05 AM

Will You Marry Me?. - Poems For Review - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Poems For Review / Will You Marry Me?. (1054 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Will You Marry Me?. by joseph1832(m): 1:34pm On Jan 13, 2016
I tell her I need her, just like the Earth need the Sun to survive.

She ask me just how; can the Earth need the Sun to survive?,

Then I tell her, can a man, real' survive without 'civic woman?.
Re: Will You Marry Me?. by joseph1832(m): 1:35pm On Jan 13, 2016
ANALYSIS OF THE POEM

BACKGROUND: The background is centered around a man who wants to propose to a woman, both of them were sitting on a beach alone, appreciating the beauty of nature and watching the Sun set with the water playing with their feet.

PLOT: The plot focus on a man expressing his love, desire and need to be forever with the woman of his dreams, but instead of expressing this love, desire and need literally by asking her to marry him, he decides to express it figuratively, using the Sun and the Earth as metaphors.

He expresses this by using himself as the Earth and his fiancée as the Sun, stating that without the Sun, the Earth can't survive, that is without his fiancée, he won't be able to survive because his fiancée symbolizes everything a good woman is to a man, that is: wife, mother, goddess and sex.

The word 'civic' as used in the poem mean a woman who knows her right and duties in taking care of her home and her man.

STRUCTURE: The poem follow the strict structure of the Korean poem called Sijo. The poem consist of just one stanza written in three lines with the syllable structure of 16-14-16, which makes it a total of 46 syllables.

The poem did not use any particular rhyme scheme and it did not follow any particular feet or meter structure.

POETIC DEVICE:

Metaphor: Explicitly used in line 1 of the poem.

Symbolism: Used in line 1 and 2 of the poem, that is, the Sun and the Earth, used as symbols which stand for the woman and the man.

Repetition: The pronoun 'her' and 'I' were repeated in line 1 and 3, three times in the poem.

Elision: Used in line 3 of the poem to adhere to the syllable structure of the poem.

End-Stopped Line: This is used at the end of every line of the poem.

Palindrome: Used in the third line of the poem. The word 'civic' represent that.

Rhetorical Question: Used in the third line of the poem.

Tone: The tone of the poem is that of love and joy.

THEME:

Love
Joy
Desire
Happiness
Appreciation
Expectation.

1 Like

Re: Will You Marry Me?. by Olakunle007(m): 4:24pm On Jan 13, 2016
Nice one. You've taught something with your write.
Re: Will You Marry Me?. by Nobody: 5:03am On Jan 14, 2016
grin beautiful in its simplicity cheesy

Thank you for the analysis
Re: Will You Marry Me?. by joseph1832(m): 7:41am On Jan 14, 2016
Olakunle007:
Nice one. You've taught something with your write.
Oh yeah? Please what did I teach you? I'm curious.

Nubian113:
grin beautiful in its simplicity cheesy

Thank you for the analysis
Hmm. You're welcome.
Re: Will You Marry Me?. by Olakunle007(m): 9:31pm On Jan 15, 2016
[quote author=joseph1832 post=41956423]Oh yeah? Please what did I teach you? I'm curious.

Your analysis is more or less a compass
Re: Will You Marry Me?. by joseph1832(m): 9:42pm On Jan 15, 2016
Olakunle007, Oh. Well glad I can point you in the right direction.

(1) (Reply)

Courage! / The Story Of My Valentine By – A Lonely Man / Illusion

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.