Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,178,212 members, 7,903,979 topics. Date: Monday, 29 July 2024 at 06:01 AM

Wrong Question: Are You A "Redeemer"? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Wrong Question: Are You A "Redeemer"? (2523 Views)

Nation Of Islam Leader Louis Farrakhan Declares Jesus Is His Redeemer / I'm A Redeemer / Is this a wrong question to ask in the church? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Wrong Question: Are You A "Redeemer"? by Sanchez01: 8:26am On Jan 17, 2016
It's quite funny this topic is coming at this time. However, I believe it is never too late to set right the wrong, particularly a question many people ask without realising the intent.

The desire to refer to The Redeemed Christian Church of God (RCCG) members as "REDEEMERS" is one that is not only wrong but could be seen as a "sin" in a way. Perhaps the coinage is borne out of the 'automatic' "er" that is added to someone's belief, part of an organization or a movement. For example, a registered, frequent user of Nairaland is known with a name by adding adding the suffix "+er" to realise "Nairalander". This same method should not be used for believers who are part of the RCCG and should in no way be referred to as 'Redeemers".

ARE YOU A REDEEMER?
I have heard people ask me this particular question for well over 10 years now, and it seems the more I try to correct the notion that a human cannot be termed a redeemer (from Christian's perspective), the more people don't seem to understand. I am a redeemed; someone that has been saved. This explains the "Redeemed" in the denomination's name.

WHO IS A REDEEMER?
AS FAR AS CHRISTIANITY IS CONCERNED, Jesus is referred to as THE Redeemer. This refers to the salvation he is believed to have accomplished, and is based on the metaphor of redemption, or "buying back". Although the Gospels do not use the title "Redeemer", the word "redemption" is used in several of Paul's letters. The English word redemption means 'repurchase' or 'buy back', and in the Old Testament referred to the ransom of slaves (Exodus 21:cool. In the New Testament the redemption word group is used to refer both to deliverance from sin and freedom from captivity.

While a member of Four Square Gospel Church could be called "Foursquarian" comfortably, and a member of Winners Chapel could be referred to as a "Winner" (who isn't?undecided), the "known" name fixed to RCCG members over the years (Redeemers) should be done away with. It is one of the names of Christ.

Cc
OAM4J
Lalasticlala

2 Likes

Re: Wrong Question: Are You A "Redeemer"? by Bayusity(m): 8:32am On Jan 17, 2016
Absolutely right
Re: Wrong Question: Are You A "Redeemer"? by Mhizkel(f): 9:08am On Jan 17, 2016
I'm a Redeemite, and Jesus is my Redeemer cool
Re: Wrong Question: Are You A "Redeemer"? by Nobody: 9:09am On Jan 17, 2016
Mind them not... Nigerian Christianity...
Re: Wrong Question: Are You A "Redeemer"? by Nobody: 9:14am On Jan 17, 2016
Mhizkel:
I'm a Redeemite, and Jesus is my Redeemer cool
go church
Re: Wrong Question: Are You A "Redeemer"? by ADENIKETINA2015(f): 9:28am On Jan 17, 2016
I've tried so many times to correct my aunt who's a member but to no avail. She keeps saying she's a redeemer cos of the usual suffix "er" added to a name to make it yours.
Jesus is the only Redeemer meaning saviour

While we are the redeemed(the saved)

Happy Sunday y'all
Re: Wrong Question: Are You A "Redeemer"? by Mhizkel(f): 9:29am On Jan 17, 2016
STFUareyouGod:
go church
Right on the way.

Join me wink
Re: Wrong Question: Are You A "Redeemer"? by Nobody: 9:31am On Jan 17, 2016
Mhizkel:

Right on the way.

Join me wink
pray for me wink
Re: Wrong Question: Are You A "Redeemer"? by Mhizkel(f): 9:35am On Jan 17, 2016
STFUareyouGod:
pray for me wink
Ofcourse I will smiley
Re: Wrong Question: Are You A "Redeemer"? by Nobody: 9:40am On Jan 17, 2016
I'm a redeemee. Jesus is my redeemer
Re: Wrong Question: Are You A "Redeemer"? by Nobody: 9:44am On Jan 17, 2016
Mhizkel:

Ofcourse I will smiley
I trust you grin
Re: Wrong Question: Are You A "Redeemer"? by Nobody: 10:31am On Jan 17, 2016
Yes op ur right it is a sin

I remember a song my mum used to make us sing ( i know my redeemer livett or something like that) thats referring to God / jesus so mare humans calling themselves that cause its a church name is wrong ... But im sure tb josh would differ undecided
Re: Wrong Question: Are You A "Redeemer"? by akinvest(m): 10:46am On Jan 17, 2016
Noted.
Re: Wrong Question: Are You A "Redeemer"? by Nobody: 12:17pm On Jan 17, 2016
Mhizkel:
I'm a Redeemite and Jesus is my Redeemer cool

Redeemite? grin
Re: Wrong Question: Are You A "Redeemer"? by superior1: 12:21pm On Jan 17, 2016
Are you redeemed sounds better to me
Re: Wrong Question: Are You A "Redeemer"? by Mhizkel(f): 12:57pm On Jan 17, 2016
darkenedrebel:

Redeemite? grin

That's what it is cheesy
Re: Wrong Question: Are You A "Redeemer"? by Nobody: 1:04pm On Jan 17, 2016
Mhizkel:

That's what it is cheesy

In your personalized lexicon right? grin
Re: Wrong Question: Are You A "Redeemer"? by Mhizkel(f): 1:06pm On Jan 17, 2016
darkenedrebel:

In your personalized lexicon right? grin
Yeah! cheesy
Sounds cool, right?
Re: Wrong Question: Are You A "Redeemer"? by Nobody: 1:19pm On Jan 17, 2016
Mhizkel:

Yeah! cheesy
Sounds cool, right?

It sounds utterly wàck cool
Re: Wrong Question: Are You A "Redeemer"? by Mhizkel(f): 1:26pm On Jan 17, 2016
darkenedrebel:

It sounds utterly wàck cool
Not true cheesy

(1) (Reply)

Book Of Eartum: From The Doctufos / What Do Opposers of Tithe & Prosperity Make Of Math 23:23 & Zech 1:17 ? / Jack Straw(leader House Of Common) On Moslem Women And Veil

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.