Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,181,490 members, 7,914,269 topics. Date: Wednesday, 07 August 2024 at 09:36 PM

Making Money Through Writing: What I Have Learned So Far - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Making Money Through Writing: What I Have Learned So Far (2427 Views)

How Bank Officials Withdrew My Money Through Swallowed ATM Card / How To Transfer Money Through ATM Without PIN / Some Things I Have Learned So Far In Internet Marketing!!! You Need To See This (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Making Money Through Writing: What I Have Learned So Far by mrikay: 12:24pm On Jan 26, 2016
I am not trying to sell anything here. I don't want your money, or your insults for that matter. I just want to share what little knowledge I have gained in 3 years as a self published author, and hopefully learn more through interaction from the 'comments' box.

You may be wondering who I am, and how I qualify to write on this subject. Well, my book (ebook, actually) has gone viral on the internet, not just the title, but the cover as well. Google 'Bomber Boy: Rise of the Underwear Bomber' and see that I am not peacocking about.

That cleared, lets talk about the journey, how to go about it, and how to make some cash for your effort. We start with the most important aspect...

The Story

The publishing industry has taken a major hit with the advent of the internet. Books no longer sell as much as they used to. Teenagers, especially young girls who used to make up the greater chunk of the reading population now spend their time flirting on facebook, taking selfies, and keeping up with the Kardashians. Hence, books, and the wisdom they contain have been abandoned.

But here and there, every once in a while, a great story comes along like Harry Potter, Game of Thrones and so on. So if you are going to make an impact with your writing, it has to be exceptional.

Bomber Boy: Rise of the Underwear Bomber is a story about terrorism. I believe you will agree that Terrorism is a rather hot topic at the moment.

The Cover

You know that saying: 'don't judge a book by its cover?' well, most people do. So here are a few tips to help you on your way.

1. Your cover image should be original. People are tired of the same old generic covers with trees and grass. Thats okay if the title of your book is 'Rabbit Hunting,' but if the title of your book is 'the Love Game' and you put trees and grass on the cover people may think your book is about how antelopes and monkeys make love in the bush. Get the idea?

2. The cover will be seen as a thumbnail. So after choosing your design make sure that when you reduce the image size to a thumbnail you will still be able to read the title, and make sense of it. This perhaps holds my success with Bomber Boy.

3. Pay a professional. Simple as that.

Let us now move on to the most mind-bending aspect of publishing:

Pricing

Pricing is key because it is what determines how much money you go home with at the end of the the day. I priced Bomber Boy at less than a Dollar because it is a short story, but when I sold over 600 copies (plus free days) I started to regret this. I reasoned that if I had set the price at say 4 Dollars, then every single sale would mean something for my effort. Maybe I am just being greedy? Tell me in your reply.

Now for the most crucial aspect: Marketing!

Without marketing you will not sell a single copy! Take it from me! So get on twitter and facebook and make some bids for advertising. Some of their rates are as low as 25 cents per click.

Keep in mind that some kind of books or ebooks are easier to sell than others. People easily buy books that teach them how to do things. Like Internet Marketing, Diet and Weight Loss, Money Making ... E.t.c. If I had time to write right now I would write a Collection of Nigerian Dishes and How to Make them. With the sheer population of Nigerians in Diaspora, and the Eager Wives trying to please them you can see that the market is large.

Some of the Books I have seen make incredible sales are on the Forex market. The Irony is that they are written by Guys who make so much money from the Markets that I am sure they don't need the Royalties.

In my case, my higest selling book is Hunting Down Mr. Right and Keeping Him. Ironic because this is my least promoted book.

If you are an author, I may be able to help you get reviews. Again, I do not want your money, so please keep your insults.

Follow me on twitter @ikepius.

Please leave me a comment.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Making Money Through Writing: What I Have Learned So Far by mrikay: 2:40pm On Mar 11, 2016
I know change is killing everyone... But if you can afford the MB, here is my 1 minute video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65vc7bCI5-A thanks!
Re: Making Money Through Writing: What I Have Learned So Far by mrikay: 3:03pm On Mar 13, 2016
This post has a part 2... How to make More Money through Publishing. www.nairaland.com/2914458/how-make-more-money-publishing
Re: Making Money Through Writing: What I Have Learned So Far by mrikay: 10:57pm On Mar 18, 2016
The link to my book on Amazon www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00CIUGEUU?d=d&pd=1 ..there other market places... Will post the links later
Re: Making Money Through Writing: What I Have Learned So Far by mrikay: 9:00pm On Mar 24, 2016
mrikay:
The link to my book on Amazon www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00CIUGEUU?d=d&pd=1 ..there other market places... Will post the links later

Do not overlook #SmashWords when self promoting... They distribute your book to all the top retailers.. They offer equal treatment to everybody no matter your reputation. Check them out here https://www.smashwords.com/extreader/read/309886/1/bomber-boy-rise-of-the-underwear-bomber

I will later find some links of the retailers they work with.
Re: Making Money Through Writing: What I Have Learned So Far by mrikay: 9:39pm On Apr 05, 2016
mrikay:

Do not overlook #SmashWords when self promoting... They distribute your book to all the top retailers.. They offer equal treatment to everybody no matter your reputation. Check them out here https://www.smashwords.com/extreader/read/309886/1/bomber-boy-rise-of-the-underwear-bomber

I will later find some links of the retailers they work with.

If you follow the Smashwords Style Guide they publish your book to top retailers like Barnes and Noble... www.barnesandnoble.com/ but be sure to adhere to their Style Guide...

Good Luck... More Later.
Re: Making Money Through Writing: What I Have Learned So Far by mrikay: 10:06am On Apr 15, 2016
mrikay:

If you follow the Smashwords Style Guide they publish your book to top retailers like Barnes and Noble... www.barnesandnoble.com/ but be sure to adhere to their Style Guide...

Good Luck... More Later.

Please take a minute to view my video...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65vc7bCI5-A thank you!

1 Like

Re: Making Money Through Writing: What I Have Learned So Far by mrikay: 11:32pm On Jul 27, 2016
mrikay:

Please take a minute to view my video...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65vc7bCI5-A thank you!

Anybody in need of a book review contact me... I will link you up... Free... No charge.. Pls keep your insults.
Re: Making Money Through Writing: What I Have Learned So Far by slimjoe007(m): 6:14am On Jul 28, 2016
mrikay:

Anybody in need of a book review contact me... I will link you up... Free... No charge.. Pls keep your insults.

Hi mrikay,
my first book just went live yesterday and its in the romance genre. though now working on my second I will be happy to take you on your offer of free reviews.
will also send you a pm or quote me an easier way to reach you.
more grease to your elbow.

1 Like

Re: Making Money Through Writing: What I Have Learned So Far by mrikay: 7:50am On Jul 28, 2016
slimjoe007:

Hi mrikay,
my first book just went live yesterday and its in the romance genre. though now working on my second I will be happy to take you on your offer of free reviews.

Pm me, lets see how we can help you.
Re: Making Money Through Writing: What I Have Learned So Far by slimjoe007(m): 8:03am On Jul 28, 2016
mrikay:

Pm me, lets see how we can help you.
PM sent! thanks.

1 Like

Re: Making Money Through Writing: What I Have Learned So Far by mrikay: 12:43pm On Jul 28, 2016
slimjoe007:

PM sent! thanks.

My brother please do not be offended... Please find my direct email in part 2 of this article (link is supplied above)

My email says slimjoe will like to send you an email but since you are not connected... Bla bla bla...

Thanks.
Re: Making Money Through Writing: What I Have Learned So Far by mrikay: 3:25pm On Oct 13, 2016
slimjoe007:

Hi mrikay,

How is it going brother? Pls PM or email me.
Re: Making Money Through Writing: What I Have Learned So Far by tectonotimes: 4:19pm On Oct 16, 2016
mrikay:
I am not trying to sell anything here. I don't want your money, or your insults for that matter. I just want to share what little knowledge I have gained in 3 years as a self published author, and hopefully learn more through interaction from the 'comments' box.

You may be wondering who I am, and how I qualify to write on this subject. Well, my book (ebook, actually) has gone viral on the internet, not just the title, but the cover as well. Google 'Bomber Boy: Rise of the Underwear Bomber' and see that I am not peacocking about.

That cleared, lets talk about the journey, how to go about it, and how to make some cash for your effort. We start with the most important aspect...

The Story

The publishing industry has taken a major hit with the advent of the internet. Books no longer sell as much as they used to. Teenagers, especially young girls who used to make up the greater chunk of the reading population now spend their time flirting on facebook, taking selfies, and keeping up with the Kardashians. Hence, books, and the wisdom they contain have been abandoned.

But here and there, every once in a while, a great story comes along like Harry Potter, Game of Thrones and so on. So if you are going to make an impact with your writing, it has to be exceptional.

Bomber Boy: Rise of the Underwear Bomber is a story about terrorism. I believe you will agree that Terrorism is a rather hot topic at the moment.

The Cover

You know that saying: 'don't judge a book by its cover?' well, most people do. So here are a few tips to help you on your way.

1. Your cover image should be original. People are tired of the same old generic covers with trees and grass. Thats okay if the title of your book is 'Rabbit Hunting,' but if the title of your book is 'the Love Game' and you put trees and grass on the cover people may think your book is about how antelopes and monkeys make love in the bush. Get the idea?

2. The cover will be seen as a thumbnail. So after choosing your design make sure that when you reduce the image size to a thumbnail you will still be able to read the title, and make sense of it. This perhaps holds my success with Bomber Boy.

3. Pay a professional. Simple as that.

Let us now move on to the most mind-bending aspect of publishing:

Pricing

Pricing is key because it is what determines how much money you go home with at the end of the the day. I priced Bomber Boy at less than a Dollar because it is a short story, but when I sold over 600 copies (plus free days) I started to regret this. I reasoned that if I had set the price at say 4 Dollars, then every single sale would mean something for my effort. Maybe I am just being greedy? Tell me in your reply.

Now for the most crucial aspect: Marketing!

Without marketing you will not sell a single copy! Take it from me! So get on twitter and facebook and make some bids for advertising. Some of their rates are as low as 25 cents per click.

Keep in mind that some kind of books or ebooks are easier to sell than others. People easily buy books that teach them how to do things. Like Internet Marketing, Diet and Weight Loss, Money Making ... E.t.c. If I had time to write right now I would write a Collection of Nigerian Dishes and How to Make them. With the sheer population of Nigerians in Diaspora, and the Eager Wives trying to please them you can see that the market is large.

Some of the Books I have seen make incredible sales are on the Forex market. The Irony is that they are written by Guys who make so much money from the Markets that I am sure they don't need the Royalties.

In my case, my higest selling book is Hunting Down Mr. Right and Keeping Him. Ironic because this is my least promoted book.

If you are an author, I may be able to help you get reviews. Again, I do not want your money, so please keep your insults.

Follow me on twitter @ikepius.

Please leave me a comment.

HERE COMES NIGERIAN VERSION OF HARVARD BUSINESS REVIEW AND OXFORD BUSINESS GROUP
Tectono Business Review is the Nigerian version of Harvard Business Review, Oxford Business Group, EuroMoney and Financial Times. It publishes business news, business articles and business adverts.

It is meant for the elites like business tycoons, top politicians, captains of industries, heads of federal parastatals, top managers of blue-chip companies. It is very educative and informative.

Avail yourself of this opportunity of reading Tectono Business Review publications just by clicking:
www.tectono-business.com
Re: Making Money Through Writing: What I Have Learned So Far by mrikay: 6:42am On Oct 23, 2016
tectonotimes:

HERE COMES NIGERIAN VERSION OF HARVARD BUSINESS REVIEW AND OXFORD BUSINESS GROUP
Tectono Business Review is the Nigerian version of Harvard Business Review, Oxford Business Group, EuroMoney and Financial Times. It publishes business news, business articles and business adverts.

It is meant for the elites like business tycoons, top politicians, captains of industries, heads of federal parastatals, top managers of blue-chip companies. It is very educative and informative.

Avail yourself of this opportunity of reading Tectono Business Review publications just by clicking:
www.tectono-business.com

Yes, but we are talking Self Publishing here. Does your review cover Self Published Authors?
Re: Making Money Through Writing: What I Have Learned So Far by six33fourng: 6:08pm On Feb 01, 2023
Buy books online from your favourite bookstore in Nigeria. We have a veritable collection of books that span categories as diverse as you could possibly expect.

From segments like accountancy, to parenting and pregnancy, to banking and finance, to even topics on yoga and meditation – almost any category you seek you would books on it.

Apply to join the largest independent marketplace for book sellers today! In addition to helping us to support you and our fellow booksellers, you'll get:

Lowest fees and commissions of any commercial marketplace.
No monthly fee option — you don't pay if you don't sell.
Reach thousands times more people than a magazine ad, for a fraction of the cost

Visit - https://six33four.ng/bookstore/

(1) (Reply)

Is Bet9ja Being Monopolies By Some Powerful Super Agent? / How Many Mudus Are In One Full Custard Paint Bucket / Solar Deep Freezer Promo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.