Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,201,278 members, 7,977,842 topics. Date: Thursday, 17 October 2024 at 02:11 PM

Games That Nigerian Banks Play To Rip Their Customers - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Games That Nigerian Banks Play To Rip Their Customers (8769 Views)

Banks Start Penalizing Customers Who Withdraw "Excess" Cash / Sort Codes For Nigerian Banks / GTB In Desperation To Rip Off Their Customers, Stops Online Trans On Savings A/c (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Games That Nigerian Banks Play To Rip Their Customers by yommyflo(m): 1:47pm On Jul 01, 2009
THE CONCLUSION OF THE MATTER IS , AFRI BANK & GTBANK ARE THE BEST FOR NOW
Re: Games That Nigerian Banks Play To Rip Their Customers by hackney(m): 2:07pm On Jul 01, 2009
So ppl are paying to get their own money?
Na wa o!!
Re: Games That Nigerian Banks Play To Rip Their Customers by Olubachar(m): 2:10pm On Jul 01, 2009
UBA is one of the worse banks in Nigeria, ATM card charges 100(every month),#5 on every #1000 as COT (every month),inter state charges & some UNNECESSARY/NO NAME charges.
IntercontinentalBank Charged for counter cheque & also charged for missed/replaced withdrawal's clip after you had already spent a little amount in the process of collecting affidavit from high court. CBN should take some necessary  steps  to reduce these banking over-profitable habits.Some customers are even blocking their inter-switch ATM card now just because our securities isn't good enough,in a situation whereby you're in your house with your ATM Card in your possession & some1 out there is withdrawing your money without your consent  sad angry   shocked May God help us in this country and let us help ourselves too.
Re: Games That Nigerian Banks Play To Rip Their Customers by yommyflo(m): 2:15pm On Jul 01, 2009
intercontinental bank have management problem which is affecting their staff and their performance; though their staff are smiling, but they are sad internally.

As for Zenith, they spent unneccesarily
Re: Games That Nigerian Banks Play To Rip Their Customers by desthan(m): 2:38pm On Jul 01, 2009
No wonder their ceo and top managers are leaving like drug lords
Re: Games That Nigerian Banks Play To Rip Their Customers by DaMayor1: 3:23pm On Jul 01, 2009
my bank opened fixed deposit on my behalf without My instruction. imagine dat. they apologised sha. what d heck, I njoyd d interest accured.
Re: Games That Nigerian Banks Play To Rip Their Customers by sues(f): 3:41pm On Jul 01, 2009
gtb is it!
Re: Games That Nigerian Banks Play To Rip Their Customers by sley4life(m): 3:55pm On Jul 01, 2009
atm in 9ja is nothing to write home about. You will be deducted without money coming out of the machine. UBA atm are fund of doing this. There atm bring dirty and turn naira notes.
Re: Games That Nigerian Banks Play To Rip Their Customers by Nobody: 4:10pm On Jul 01, 2009
let's clarify things

Overhead costs of banks in Nigeria are high - most especially in the provision of electricity. that costs has to be paid somehow.
However I believe they owe it to their customers to let them know upfront what the charges

SMS alerts are voluntary - you should not be forced to recieve them

ATM charges - there should only be interbank charges - besides we should all remember that when you withdraw from you current account via ATM you will still be charged COT.

In fact even if you transfer using local transfer out of you current account it is as good as a cheque you will still be charged COT

So before you start campaigning pls we should get our facts right
Re: Games That Nigerian Banks Play To Rip Their Customers by sley4life(m): 5:05pm On Jul 01, 2009
let's clarify things

Overhead costs of banks in Nigeria are high - most especially in the provision of electricity. that costs has to be paid somehow.
However I believe they owe it to their customers to let them know upfront what the charges

ATM charges - there should only be interbank charges - besides we should all remember that when you withdraw from you current account via ATM you will still be charged COT.

In fact even if you transfer using local transfer out of you current account it is as good as a cheque you will still be charged COT

u shuld be a staff of the bank. Sms alert arent forced but the charges they impose are outrageous. You use ur bank atm and they deduct atm charges from ur acc. Some banks are just dubious regarding this
Re: Games That Nigerian Banks Play To Rip Their Customers by ogbronx(m): 5:11pm On Jul 01, 2009
very interesting.dont have much time now but i would definitely log-on later to read.most of what you have saud here is true.we are being robbed by these banks
Re: Games That Nigerian Banks Play To Rip Their Customers by Redman44(m): 7:16pm On Jul 01, 2009
I'm back and I'm right on time. I said I would be back on this thread by 6pm and I kept to my word. I have gone through some of the recent posts and I'm dismayed by the comments of some people on this thread. Who are you fronting for? It seems some bankers are here to defend their employers. Though it is a free world, Nairalanders are not stupid angry angry Someone talked about overhead costs. Why should we bear the brunt of the operating costs of running the banks when these same banks lend money [ our money ] to importers and big businesses who in turn pay back hefty sums of money as interest. Who is deceiving who? Lets call a spade a spade. Nigerian banks are feeding fat on the ignorance and siddon look attitude of their customers.

I am not a banker, but I have had debates one on one with some Nigerian bankers and I'm appalled by their knowledge of the industry itself. It is a shame that most Nigerian banks do not give enough information to their customers when they are opening new accounts. I can remember way back in 2005 when I opened an account with UBA in Akure, Ondo State. I was a corper then. I and seven other NYSC members were opened savings accounts on that day. We were given ATM Card forms to fill by one hefty ' Customer Care Assistant ' and within an hour we were given the actual plastic cards. That was the end of it . The guy did not bother to tell us what to do with the cards and there was no leaflet that would explain how to operate the ATM machines. Funny enough, UBA in Akure did not even have ATM Machines then sad sad . It was only the First Bank branch at Alagbaka that had an ATM machine.

Anyway, it is time for some action!! so here is the email account you should send your ideas to: simplyredmedia@gmail.com

The first article will despatched this weekend. If you're with us, get in touch through the email address given above. It is a collective effort. Let us get it right this time around. Let us do this for generations unborn so that they will not be screwed by our banks. Cheers.

simplyredmedia@gmail.com
Re: Games That Nigerian Banks Play To Rip Their Customers by stagger: 8:23pm On Jul 01, 2009
some of these faceless people defending banks should be told to shut the hell up.

I also have to pay for power as well, running my factory generators for up to 10 hours non-stop, five days a week. I take it as one of the challenges of operating in our environment and I device ways of getting around the problem. Do i now use it as an excuse to hit my customers with all sorts of ridiculous hidden charges? NO WAY!

What many of these banks are doing IS A COMPLETE RIP-OFF AND SHOULD NOT BE CONDONED! It's crazy. Please those of us living abroad should tell us if banks over there do the same.
Re: Games That Nigerian Banks Play To Rip Their Customers by whatalife: 9:55pm On Jul 01, 2009
I have always maintained that nigerian Banks are nothing but organised crimes in high rise buildings.
Can we blame them , when the regulalatory agencies look else where when nigerians are inflicted with all kinds of funny bills. Was it not the same Nigeria where Gsm Operators sold a sim card for N30,000 when same sim card cost less than a dollar four -five years ago in other advanced Countries , Obasanjo and his Senators look elsewhere, But Glo came to save us from thier shackles.
I support Redman44 , let rise up against this criminals in suits .
Re: Games That Nigerian Banks Play To Rip Their Customers by Redman44(m): 10:35pm On Jul 01, 2009
@Stagger

You do not need to live abroad to know if the banks there charge ridiculous sums of money to maintain your account. The truth is they do not charge you any money for opening an account and using their ATM machines. The ATM machines that charge you small sums of money for using them are run by private financial agencies and not the banks. If you are a frequent reader of EUROMONEY, you will know that what I'm saying is the truth. The Banks in Britain do not also charge you for using another bank's card on their ATM machines. There is a synergy between all the banks in Britain. The foremost banks there are HSBC, NATWEST, BARCLAYS, ALLIANCE AND LEICESTER, ROYAL BANK OF SCOTLAND [ RBS ], INTELLIGENT FINANCE, HALIFAX and LLOYDS TSB.

From what I've read so far, it seems UBA is the main culprit on this issue. I also want to make it clear here that anyone who tries to blackmail me for carrying out this campaign will find out that I'm a formidable opponent. Your persecutions and threats will not work. Amen.

For those who are concerned about the unfair practices of Nigerian banks and who want to support this campaign, please email me at: simplyredmedia@gmail.com

I will start a blog on this issue and I will give you the password to the blog so you can post your experiences and pictures of banks there. The blog will be circulated on the web throughout the world. Lets do this for the ones who cannot speak and the generations unborn. Cheers.
Re: Games That Nigerian Banks Play To Rip Their Customers by manny4life(m): 10:41pm On Jul 01, 2009
salsera:

let's clarify things

I am so disappointed you saying that banks have to pay their overhead cost, at the fraudulent expense of its own customers? The theory of banks making money is not from retail banking, it's through commercial  credits and investments. Retail banking is just an avenue where funds are collected in pools and then distributed. So the excuse of overhead is just a lame, and the banks have same overhead just like every other business. If you believe that there is so much overhead, then reduce it. For instance, most branch banking here just operate from a small office, less overhead and payroll of 3-6 staffs. I totally agree with Redman44, this banks should desist from this so-called activity because it's really not healthy.

While I would not compare banking systems, in the US here, I don't get charged for using Bank of America ATM when I have an account with them and neither do I get charged for any kind of transfer; be it inter or intra bank transfers, in fact any kind of transfers or any form of electronic transaction be it online bill pay, in fact they will send you a reminder and pay your bill without any cost passed on to the customer.

In addition, I believe transparency should be the order of the day. If you disclose all applicable banking or transactional fees in your statement, online or someplace, I believe this customers can clearly see enough when they are rightfully charged.
Re: Games That Nigerian Banks Play To Rip Their Customers by clomn(m): 12:06am On Jul 02, 2009
U B A is the father of it all, since i know that bank they cut peoples money at random. No particular timing nor pattern. sad
Re: Games That Nigerian Banks Play To Rip Their Customers by blitzer(m): 12:17am On Jul 02, 2009
[i]God wat i hav i don 2myself. i wish i saw this thread just a week ago. I opened an account wit UBA on wed 24th of June and as at this morning  #377 naira has been deducted. #200 4atmcard, 2sms alert @10each,#157 for printing acct statement [each page cost #157 and i witnessed a customer complaining wen is statement was 4pages]. Now this is wat got me worried, wyle waiting 4my acct statement a customer[a FRSC Officer] was complaining that she wants her sms alert deactivated b/c within a space of 2weeks she has r"cved abt10 sms alert and even b4 then she had applied twice for her sms alert 2be deactivated  and it had not been effected. It really got me worried. I opened and abandoned  an acct wit them in 2003 during my undergraduate days b/c of ineffiency. I thought wit consolidation and their merger wit standard trust bank things will be different.Now I know better. For PHB the #2000 i used in opening the acct in 2006 disappeared into tin air. Reason: my account officer was a theft. he was relieved of his his job nt b/c of my peanuts bt b/c he had a history. This is a fantastic thread LETS keep it rolling.
Re: Games That Nigerian Banks Play To Rip Their Customers by Redman44(m): 12:23am On Jul 02, 2009
@all

The blog will be floated tomorrow. It will go live tomorrow morning. Cheers.
Re: Games That Nigerian Banks Play To Rip Their Customers by Redman44(m): 12:29am On Jul 02, 2009
@Blitzer

You're welcome. I need more complaints and facts to back up this campaign. Spread the word around, please. The blog will be ready tomorrow morning. And you will all be able to vent your anger and spleen to the whole world there. If you've got pictures of the affected banks or their logos or their websites, let me have them. Email me at: simplyredmedia@gmail.com

Cheers. God is on our side.
Re: Games That Nigerian Banks Play To Rip Their Customers by vinvinonyi: 7:43am On Jul 02, 2009
[b]on my savings account except that of current account whenever a cheque is issued This can't be the first bank i know, unless First bank of Ghana, i bank with them and had never in anyway experienced any kinda deduction of which i deem negligible.

@owe,

your mail above refer;;;;;;;;;;

if you go thro' my postings , i specifically mentioned savings account withdrawal slip, the charge of #500 arise when you are unable to produce your withdrawal slip.

Am of the opinion that this charge is not necessary as it is a savings account which does not demand any form of charge.

The withdrawals of the said account is done personally,no third party.

The need to forget your withdrawal slip or booklet is there, unavoidable.

You can also understand that such withdrawal slip are kept in some banks,waiting for you.

So, if you came 3times,without withdrawal slip as a business man that goes to bank always,you are charge #1500.

How much is the interest your fund attract for one year,when the bank makes an error,how do they pay to their customers.

My dear,this #500 charge per withdrawal is fraudulent.
Re: Games That Nigerian Banks Play To Rip Their Customers by otokx(m): 8:33am On Jul 02, 2009
Yours truly was sent an SMS that my savings account will be dormant on a certain date by INTERCONTINENTAL BANK and that the balance on the account was N463. Would to God that i had just ignored the message and gone my way. My ATM card that is linked to that account had expired 4 months ago and all attempts to have it replaced has been unsuccessful. The need to have an alternative and promises via email from their customer care influenced my decision to pay N6000 into that acccount in January and by last week i receive a debit alert that am charged N500 for a verve card and my balance is N4583.xx. If this is not magic then i must be a miracle worker.
Re: Games That Nigerian Banks Play To Rip Their Customers by Nezan(m): 9:33am On Jul 02, 2009
otokx:

Yours truly was sent an SMS that my savings account will be dormant on a certain date by INTERCONTINENTAL BANK and that the balance on the account was N463. Would to God that i had just ignored the message and gone my way. My ATM card that is linked to that account had expired 4 months ago and all attempts to have it replaced has been unsuccessful. The need to have an alternative and promises via email from their customer care influenced my decision to pay N6000 into that acccount in January and by last week i receive a debit alert that am charged N500 for a verve card and my balance is N4583.xx. If this is not magic then i must be a miracle worker.
Na so dem all dey. I go begin store my money inside safe forr my house grin
Re: Games That Nigerian Banks Play To Rip Their Customers by ogunniyi2: 9:59am On Jul 02, 2009
This can't be the first bank i know, unless First bank of Ghana, i bank with them and had never in anyway experienced any kinda deduction on my savings account except that of current account whenever a cheque is issued of which i deem negligible. angry sad shocked

image laundering i suppose[for 1st bank]!! , to withdrawal from ur savings domiciliary account,u have to pay unreasonable extra extra charges [even more than the interest fv 3yrs on same account],e.tc, i called that one part of hiding charges, 1st bank do profiteer out of their customers ignorance. too bad for self acclaimed 1st bank!

Go to GTB AND FEEL/SEE/EXPERIENCE THE DIFFERENCE! I WAS THERETO PAY FEE BUT WA OH! I WAS FLABBERGASTED WITH THEIR MODUSOPEARANDI, I AM IN LOVE WITH THEY
Re: Games That Nigerian Banks Play To Rip Their Customers by bsanya(f): 10:04am On Jul 02, 2009
TO BE CANDID GTB IS THE BEST BANK SO FAR.
IMAGINE AFTER DEPOSIT OF CASH U WILL GET INTEREST ON THE MONEY DEPOSITED, DEPENDING ON THE AMOUNT DEPOSITED.

G T B I DROP MY CAP 4 U!

G T B NA U BE BABA!

G T B NO RIVAL!
Re: Games That Nigerian Banks Play To Rip Their Customers by ogunniyi2: 10:04am On Jul 02, 2009
Re: Games That Nigerian Banks Play To Rip Their Customers
« #87 on: Today at 09:59:37 AM »  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This can't be the first bank i know, unless First bank of Ghana, i bank with them and had never in anyway experienced any kinda deduction on my savings account except that of current account whenever a cheque is issued of which i deem negligible.
  angry sad shocked  

image laundering i suppose[for 1st bank]!! ,  to withdrawal from ur savings domiciliary account,u have to pay unreasonable extra extra charges [even more than the interest fv 3yrs on same account],e.tc,  i called that one part of hiding charges, 1st bank do profiteer out of their customers ignorance. too bad for  self acclaimed 1st bank!

Go to GTB AND FEEL/SEE/EXPERIENCE THE DIFFERENCE! I WAS THERETO PAY FEE BUT WA OH! I WAS FLABBERGASTED WITH THEIR MODUSOPEARANDI, I AM IN LOVE WITH  GTBANK!
Re: Games That Nigerian Banks Play To Rip Their Customers by Nobody: 10:38am On Jul 02, 2009
WAOH, I did an automated context search with my browser for the word "GTB"

and very impressive, it appeared the second and third page with positive comments only.
I think i made a right choice this time.

GUYS LETS SHOW THEM THEY SUCK BY MAINTAINING A ZERO ACCOUNT BALANCE WITH THOSE BANKS.
[size=15pt]INTERCONTINENTAL IS THE WORST[/size], THEY INSTALL A BAD ATM MACHINE AT IJESHA TO RIP PPL OFF, THEY HAVE MY 12,000 NAIRA.

small time they put up a picture of one stinking happy customer.

for those who dont know, if you use gtb mastercard, buy a $200 stuff online when you have $500 on your card.
your balance will remain $300

no spurious charges and no UBA-like security deposit. theives
Re: Games That Nigerian Banks Play To Rip Their Customers by initiate: 12:00pm On Jul 02, 2009
one other thing.

the banks would activate an sms account for you without you requesting.

rather is should be the other way around. ie they should ask you first before activating the sms account
Re: Games That Nigerian Banks Play To Rip Their Customers by nameoh: 12:59pm On Jul 02, 2009
Man no wonder this bankers ride big cars, just for siting in the office and having no investement ,they make million on their customers.
Imagine charging for a withdrawal slip.
My bank in the uk even sends me text massages within 2 hr when ever a transfer is made out of my account as to prevent and fraud from going through at no cost and i have never paid for any transaction i made within uk.
When ever you are short changed at the ATM which rearly happens the banks first of all pays you back the money pending on investigation.
THEY ARE ALL CRIMINALS
Re: Games That Nigerian Banks Play To Rip Their Customers by ud4u: 1:36pm On Jul 02, 2009
Quote from De mayor
my bank opened fixed deposit on my behalf without My instruction. imagine dat. they apologized sha. what d heck, I e enjoyed d interest accrued.

Please can we know the bank involved, this case is an interesting one.
Re: Games That Nigerian Banks Play To Rip Their Customers by kem4lyfe: 1:40pm On Jul 02, 2009
Those Banks are crooks, I heard that once your account is debited for money you didnt collect in their ATMs it takes them years before they credit you, shocked shocked

They should be exposed, My money is stucked in Skyebank ATM (First bank account ) twice now and not yet returned. I think its high time we start publishing their dubious ways in the tabloids so people will stop thorwing their hard earned money to those banks and know which one is reliable among them.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Paypal To Introduce Credit Card With 2% Cash Back / See The Alert I Got From Access Bank Today! / 3 Richest Igbo Men In Nigeria (forbes) - Only One Politician?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.