Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,830 members, 7,889,746 topics. Date: Sunday, 14 July 2024 at 07:34 PM

Fall Of NAIRA To The DOLLAR, Don't Blame BUHARI - Sen. Ben Murray Bruce - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fall Of NAIRA To The DOLLAR, Don't Blame BUHARI - Sen. Ben Murray Bruce (1095 Views)

Buhari's Kitchen Comment: Ben Murray-Bruce Reacts With Loved Up Photo With Wife / Some Senators Are Planning To Impeach Buhari – Sen. Kwankwaso / Fall Of Naira To The Dollar,don't Blame Buhari:- Sen Ben Murray Bruce (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fall Of NAIRA To The DOLLAR, Don't Blame BUHARI - Sen. Ben Murray Bruce by mrBN: 10:06am On Feb 21, 2016
SENATOR BEN MURRAY-BRUCE MAKES COMMON SENSE, PLEASE READ BELOW:

Many Nigerians are complaining about the constant fall in the value of the Naira and they blame the Government.

But is the government really to blame? In truth, our insatiable appetite for all things foreign is to blame.
I always fly Arik Business Class whenever I am traveling abroad except Arik does not fly on that route.

Not only is an Arik ticket a fraction of the cost of a British Airways ticket, but the money I pay to Arik circulates in Nigeria and helps firm up the Naira’s value.

As I speak to you today, a British Airways Business to London is ₦2,103,666 while Arik Business is ₦551,545 yet our elite still fly BA

But though Arik offers an affordable alternative to British Airways and other foreign airlines, our big men prefer to pay double what Arik charges to BA and other foreign airlines for the same services and yet they complain about the value of the Naira.
I have Nasco cornflakes and I have eaten Kellogs cornflakes. In terms of nutrition and taste they are almost indistinguishable. Yet our elite who will rather eat Kellogs than Nasco cornflakes, wonder why the Naira is falling!

Even something like Quaker Oats can be substituted with corn meal known locally as pap.
Obasanjo Farms of Nigeria and other large scale poultry farms have the capacity to provide chicken for the entire nation. Since that is the case, why are we even buying imported chicken?

In fact what is wrong if every family in Nigeria has a poultry in their backyard to give them eggs and meat?
My steward went to Makoko, which is one of the largest fishing communities in Lagos. He wanted to buy fish and they were selling imported frozen fish!

Yet in the very waters in front of them, there exist fresh fish that is more nutritious than the cheap frozen fish they were selling.
We keep spending over 1 Billion Naira importing rice when our own farmers are capable of meeting our national demand for rice. But for some reason, Nigerians just prefer to buy imported rice.
The imported rice we buy in Nigeria is not as good as our local rice because it has been stored for years in silos and treated with chemicals.

Moreover, every time you buy it, your money is going out of Nigeria to service an economy in Asia. The end result is that their currency gains value while ours loses value.

Have you ever wondered why European Premiership Clubs are so interested in Nigeria? It is because Nigerians spend billions traveling to Europe to watch their games, buy their merchandise and promote their leagues.

Yet, back at home, we would not be caught dead watching our own local league.

If we will not spend money on made in Nigeria goods and services, how can we expect our Naira to hold its value and appreciate?
Obviously we can not cut ourselves off from the world. No nation is an island, but at least we can fly Nigerian airlines, eat locally produced food and patronize our football league.

If we do this, not only will our economy grow and produce jobs for Nigerians, it will also make our goods and services improve in value such that they will be attractive enough to be imported.

I bought Innoson vehicles as official cars for my staff. I have never lived to regret it one day. They are comfortable and durable. But most of all, I know that my purchase helps to keep jobs in Nigeria and improve the value of the Naira.

I urge you to do the same. We have no other country but Nigeria and it is you and I that will make it what it is.
If we buy Naija We Will Grow Naira

My name is Ben Murray-Bruce and I just want to make Commonsense!

1 Like

Re: Fall Of NAIRA To The DOLLAR, Don't Blame BUHARI - Sen. Ben Murray Bruce by mrBN: 10:07am On Feb 21, 2016
mrBN:
SENATOR BEN MURRAY-BRUCE MAKES COMMON SENSE, PLEASE READ BELOW:

Many Nigerians are complaining about the constant fall in the value of the Naira and they blame the Government.

But is the government really to blame? In truth, our insatiable appetite for all things foreign is to blame.
I always fly Arik Business Class whenever I am traveling abroad except Arik does not fly on that route.

Not only is an Arik ticket a fraction of the cost of a British Airways ticket, but the money I pay to Arik circulates in Nigeria and helps firm up the Naira’s value.

As I speak to you today, a British Airways Business to London is ₦2,103,666 while Arik Business is ₦551,545 yet our elite still fly BA

But though Arik offers an affordable alternative to British Airways and other foreign airlines, our big men prefer to pay double what Arik charges to BA and other foreign airlines for the same services and yet they complain about the value of the Naira.
I have Nasco cornflakes and I have eaten Kellogs cornflakes. In terms of nutrition and taste they are almost indistinguishable. Yet our elite who will rather eat Kellogs than Nasco cornflakes, wonder why the Naira is falling!

Even something like Quaker Oats can be substituted with corn meal known locally as pap.
Obasanjo Farms of Nigeria and other large scale poultry farms have the capacity to provide chicken for the entire nation. Since that is the case, why are we even buying imported chicken?

In fact what is wrong if every family in Nigeria has a poultry in their backyard to give them eggs and meat?
My steward went to Makoko, which is one of the largest fishing communities in Lagos. He wanted to buy fish and they were selling imported frozen fish!

Yet in the very waters in front of them, there exist fresh fish that is more nutritious than the cheap frozen fish they were selling.
We keep spending over 1 Billion Naira importing rice when our own farmers are capable of meeting our national demand for rice. But for some reason, Nigerians just prefer to buy imported rice.
The imported rice we buy in Nigeria is not as good as our local rice because it has been stored for years in silos and treated with chemicals.

Moreover, every time you buy it, your money is going out of Nigeria to service an economy in Asia. The end result is that their currency gains value while ours loses value.

Have you ever wondered why European Premiership Clubs are so interested in Nigeria? It is because Nigerians spend billions traveling to Europe to watch their games, buy their merchandise and promote their leagues.

Yet, back at home, we would not be caught dead watching our own local league.

If we will not spend money on made in Nigeria goods and services, how can we expect our Naira to hold its value and appreciate?
Obviously we can not cut ourselves off from the world. No nation is an island, but at least we can fly Nigerian airlines, eat locally produced food and patronize our football league.

If we do this, not only will our economy grow and produce jobs for Nigerians, it will also make our goods and services improve in value such that they will be attractive enough to be imported.

I bought Innoson vehicles as official cars for my staff. I have never lived to regret it one day. They are comfortable and durable. But most of all, I know that my purchase helps to keep jobs in Nigeria and improve the value of the Naira.

I urge you to do the same. We have no other country but Nigeria and it is you and I that will make it what it is.
If we buy Naija We Will Grow Naira

My name is Ben Murray-Bruce and I just want to make Commonsense!

SOURCE - http://www.abacityblog.com/2016/02/fall-of-naira-to-dollar-dont-blame.html
Re: Fall Of NAIRA To The DOLLAR, Don't Blame BUHARI - Sen. Ben Murray Bruce by Jayne07(f): 10:08am On Feb 21, 2016
Only God can help this country
Re: Fall Of NAIRA To The DOLLAR, Don't Blame BUHARI - Sen. Ben Murray Bruce by decatalyst(m): 10:09am On Feb 21, 2016
Common sense at play at the end of the day. grin
Re: Fall Of NAIRA To The DOLLAR, Don't Blame BUHARI - Sen. Ben Murray Bruce by henrybomb(m): 10:13am On Feb 21, 2016
Re: Fall Of NAIRA To The DOLLAR, Don't Blame BUHARI - Sen. Ben Murray Bruce by phemmie06(m): 10:16am On Feb 21, 2016
True talk, but I need to take my bath to believe this is not a dream. Ben Bruce?
Re: Fall Of NAIRA To The DOLLAR, Don't Blame BUHARI - Sen. Ben Murray Bruce by rottennaija(m): 10:21am On Feb 21, 2016
Finally, some common sense
Re: Fall Of NAIRA To The DOLLAR, Don't Blame BUHARI - Sen. Ben Murray Bruce by mrBN: 10:35am On Feb 21, 2016
henrybomb:

Abeg make dis bros go slp joor

Make who go sleep?
Re: Fall Of NAIRA To The DOLLAR, Don't Blame BUHARI - Sen. Ben Murray Bruce by ziky2010(m): 10:42am On Feb 21, 2016
best piece ever from him

1 Like

Re: Fall Of NAIRA To The DOLLAR, Don't Blame BUHARI - Sen. Ben Murray Bruce by Nobody: 10:58am On Feb 21, 2016
Proudly 5% that controls the 95%
Re: Fall Of NAIRA To The DOLLAR, Don't Blame BUHARI - Sen. Ben Murray Bruce by henrybomb(m): 11:43am On Feb 21, 2016
mrBN:

Make who go sleep?

Bruce
Re: Fall Of NAIRA To The DOLLAR, Don't Blame BUHARI - Sen. Ben Murray Bruce by 989900: 12:01pm On Feb 21, 2016
He is correct!

Although, I wish he channeled just 50% of the same energy and vigor into calling out the bigger evil of importation of refined petroleum products, which is actually responsible for roughly 40% of our demand for forex -- which shouldn't have ever been in the first place if all past governments did the needful.

Some things we import like generators, rechargeable lamps, some food items due to lack of storage which needs power, and many more (too much to mention), would not have been, if we had stable power.

Blame the FG, the CBN, for self-serving/skewed monetary policies that makes it impossible to borrow money at reasonable rates. How many brilliant and enterprising NLs are on the agric and science sections with ideas wasting away!

Blame the states for being nothing, but beggars and 'free riders' -- 'riding shotgun' at best.

Stop blaming the masses for the failures of government!

Re: Fall Of NAIRA To The DOLLAR, Don't Blame BUHARI - Sen. Ben Murray Bruce by TenPassfour(m): 2:38pm On Feb 21, 2016
I used to complain before now, but Sen, Ben bruce the common sense pilot has really enlighing me concerning some issue within our national system. Also is high time Govt need to set up Economy Team, for the betterment of Naija.
Let have Nigeria Airways, Shipping Line and Railway, improve the standard of Education and KILL CORRUPTION totally from our nation.
God pls bless our nation.
#TeamThinkForMe

(1) (Reply)

Is This Para Military Personnel Allowed To Carry Gun(pic)? / Opc Ready To Unleash On Fulani... / Things To Expect After Signing Of Budget 2016

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.