Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,760 members, 7,875,920 topics. Date: Sunday, 30 June 2024 at 02:00 AM

Why Didn't Obama Apologise To Africa? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Didn't Obama Apologise To Africa? (1563 Views)

Akpabio Refuses To Apologise To Goje In The Senate Over Comment / 2nd Niger Bridge: Oshiomhole Must Apologise To Nigerians, Say CSOs / I Apologise To Edo People For Bringing Oshiomhole As Gov, Says Ize-iyamu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Didn't Obama Apologise To Africa? by OYBMEND: 11:33pm On Jul 13, 2009
back2back:

the poster is not talking about Nigeria Govt. stay on the issue.

the post was clear:

Obama did not have the courage to admit and take full responsibility for the role of America in the ruination of the continent.

apology means you accept resposiblity and ready to right the wrong you caused whoever you apologise to.

What you dont seem to get is that America got Independence from the British just like Nigeria did.

So why is America appoligising for colonialism? Go read a bit of History.

If its Slavery you are talking about about Africans in Africa are as Guilty as the European Slave Owners. (Only decendants of slaves deserve an appology).

If its the failure of Africa, our leaders are more guilty compared to the west because its the responsibility of every Nation to protect her people from exploitation, if a country chooses not to do that I doubt its makes sense to blame those who pounce on the opportunity.

As we speak majority of Africans are funding European Universities through paying high fees while our educational system is in ruins. WHO WILL APPOLOGISE FOR THAT?
Re: Why Didn't Obama Apologise To Africa? by OYBMEND: 11:55pm On Jul 13, 2009
And talking about appologies

I think folks still take what Obama says on surface value.

What Obama does is state the obvious which often is already in the public domain. Its more of a 21st century approach to dealing with issues than an appology. It creates a feel good mentality which creates the impression that the current President is being extra-ordinarily honest when structural he has not acted so dramatically different from his predecessors.

Example.
The issue of torture:  he released CIA memos stating their were policies for waterboarding and folks started jumping transparency. But the issue is that these memos had already been declassified as his administration had determined that it was no longer Government policy. And the policy now had become public knowledge anyway.
But when it came to releasing the same videos which showed terror suspects were actually tortured. He refused.

In Iran he addresses the Nation as the Islamic Republic of Iran, invites its diplomats to come share hotdog at US embassies on arround the world on July 4 (before it was rescinded). While structurally his Treasury Secretary Tim Geithner is busy trying to get more economic sanctions against Iran, he Obama is lobbying Russia seriously in other to have Russia and US on the same page against Iran in the event that he may want to use the UN Security council against Iran.

If anybody want to refuse to look at these real issues and prefer to feel good that Obama acknoledged the 1959 overthrow of Musadek and the role of the CIA thats up to them.
But to call the restatement of a public fact an appology is political naivette in my view.
Re: Why Didn't Obama Apologise To Africa? by dinggle: 12:06am On Jul 14, 2009
Africans deserve apology from their leaders not from the west!!! The west has done nothing wrong least not compared to the untold poverty its leaders has brought to them. Remember how the british left us, with a stronger currency, electricity, good roads. Those are the same infastructure we still have still date that the population has out grown. What did our leaders do with the billions we got from the sale of our natural resources.
Re: Why Didn't Obama Apologise To Africa? by Kobojunkie: 12:12am On Jul 14, 2009
must_a_far:

apology here, apology there, apology everywhere. . . it does take away the fact that when fertilizer is made available to our farmers for free, some idiot assumes the role of lord and decides to hoard it instead, leading to low quality yield. yet we want apology from someone who subsidized his own farmers to help to make their produce competitive.

Lol

You dey mind Africa? Na so so wetin OTHERS go do for us we go dey look for. Yar adua don go G20, go dey DEMAND say make THEM come do for us. Obama come africa WE don dey DEMAND say make im apologize for us. At the end of the day, we still dey eat shit while the rest of the world we we dey WAIT for dey speed pass us with no look back!!
Re: Why Didn't Obama Apologise To Africa? by Edoji: 5:22am On Jul 14, 2009
back2back:

the poster is not talking about Nigeria Govt. stay on the issue.

the post was clear:

Obama did not have the courage to admit and take full responsibility for the role of America in the ruination of the continent.

apology means you accept resposiblity and ready to right the wrong you caused whoever you apologise to.

The veracity of the above should be clear to whoever takes the time to read the entire article.

Obama was clearly apologising to Europe when he said, "there have been times where America has shown arrogance and been dismissive, even derisive,  "
He was also apologising to the Muslims when he said "More recently, tension has been fed by colonialism that denied rights and opportunities to many Muslims, and a Cold War in which Muslim—majority countries were too often treated as proxies without regard to their own aspirations, I've come here to Cairo to seek a new beginning"

In Ghana, Obama while saying that "Africa's future is up to Africans,  the world will be what you make of it." should also have admitted that US's own economic interests in Africa have frequently overruled the democratic, good governance agenda which he spelled out on Saturday.

He should have mentioned, for example America's $31bn in subsidies for US farmers which squeeze some African farmers out of the market, and at least admitted the US role in supporting dictators during the Cold War, an apology many Africans would like to hear.

And like he implied to the Muslims and the Europeans, accepting this responsiblity means he is ready to right the wrongs America caused through specific measures.
Re: Why Didn't Obama Apologise To Africa? by back2back(f): 7:47am On Jul 14, 2009
Lawyer and human rights activist, Femi Falana, has berated President Barack Obama over his speech in Ghana, saying it was a huge embarrassment to the African continent and black people.
Fielding questions from newsmen yesterday at the Murtala Muhammed International Airport, Lagos, Falana said Obama was wrong when he said Africans should stop blaming the colonialists for slave trade and subsequent under-development that followed.
.“I watched the Obama stop over in Ghana, sentiments apart; I think it was an embarrassment for Africa that Obama only made a stop in Africa. And even at that, it was a ‘yabbis session.’ And that was not what Africans were expecting from the first black President of United States of America . He talked down on Africans. He also said, ‘you cannot blame the under-development on Africa ; you cannot just dismiss it on the basis of corruption of its leaders.’
“And I reject, in its entirety, the statement credited to Obama that we
should no longer blame colonialists for slave trade. Why shouldn’t we? Incidentally, he visited the Cape Coast where you have the slave camp. And Obama almost had nothing to say there.”
Recalling the slave trade, Falana said Europeans traded on Africans for 500 years and wondered who would pay reparation for the exploitation of the continent over these years.
“For 500 years , Africans were illegally seized, they were kidnapped, through terrorist action of the Western countries and shipped to Europe and America to build those countries.
“Who is going to pay reparation for them? I thought Obama was going to talk about reparation. The Italian government has agreed to pay N5billion reparation to Libya for colonialism for 40 years. So who is going to pay us colonialism of 100 years?
“Who is going to pay Ghana And then you come around and say your problem is your problem, that is unfair. You got to solve your own problem. America must be part of the solution to our problem, because they created part of it, ” he said.
[b]Also reacting to part of Obama’s statement where he attributed the decay in the African continent to sit-tight African leaders, Falana also said: “President Obama was in Egypt recently. Is Egypt a democratic country? President Mubarak has been in power since 1981, he was recently in Saudi Arabia , did they hold elections there? So you can’t use lack of democracy or free reign of corruption in Africa to excuse the connivance of the United States government or Western European countries, the connivance of these countries is the destruction of the economy of Africa .”[/b]He also said fighting corruption has to be holistic and not partitioned, as it is currently being done in Nigeria.
Re: Why Didn't Obama Apologise To Africa? by Olaolufred(m): 9:37am On Jul 14, 2009
I want to say a big Thanks to YUNO and OYB MEND.

for Edoji and Back2back, i don,t know where the apology lies.
I can,t even apologise to them for my post.

I think the only way forward to africa's development is that apology.

Immediately that is done, afriac will become the greatest in the world.

I will want Obama to Leave that for their next President so that africa can wait longer.

That to me means, Africa will remain a fool almost a century after slave trade abolition untill Obama apologise.

Let us stop fooling ourselves.
Re: Why Didn't Obama Apologise To Africa? by Olaolufred(m): 9:40am On Jul 14, 2009
That Falana says a thing does not make it right.
He is a learned fellow as they say.
But that does not make his words final.
That is still his opinion, you know.
Re: Why Didn't Obama Apologise To Africa? by back2back(f): 9:51am On Jul 14, 2009
That to me means, Africa will remain a fool almost a century after slave trade abolition untill Obama apologise.

You are mixing up.

Apology is to recognise the wrong done, take responsiblity for it. It has about justice.

It is different from developmental progress of people or nation.

why did JEW seeks apology from Germany even though they have made developmental progress?
Re: Why Didn't Obama Apologise To Africa? by ikeyman00(m): 9:56am On Jul 14, 2009
as we are speakin

the last man standin on execution of the jews is being extradite from US to germany to face prosecution

so how many has been done so for slavery

well like i always say, lets develop naija first

then after we shall face the west

simple
Re: Why Didn't Obama Apologise To Africa? by Olaolufred(m): 10:02am On Jul 14, 2009
Thank you Ikeymann00

that is to me, "setting right our priorities".
Re: Why Didn't Obama Apologise To Africa? by back2back(f): 10:12am On Jul 14, 2009
ikeyman00:

as we are speakin

the last man standin on execution of the jews is being extradite from US to germany to face prosecution

so how many has been done so for slavery

well like i always say, lets develop naija first

then after we shall face the west

simple

exactly. Developing Africa and WEST apologising for their EVIL are not mutual exclusive.

Justice delay, is justice denied!

they did not wait for Sierra Leone to develop before same WEST hurdled Taylor to Haque!

They did not wait for JEWS to develop before SAME west seek justice from Nazi Germany.

Why must african wait until it is developed to seek Justice or get acknowledgment that it was wronged?
Re: Why Didn't Obama Apologise To Africa? by ikeyman00(m): 11:01am On Jul 14, 2009
^^^^

i think u lost me there

all me sayin is let put that energy into buildin our dear naija

after all done remarkably with moderate power supply etc

then we shall finally come hard on the west

if they refuses, the same way the taken charles taylor to hague, we will take their white ass there as well

simple logic, the world is spinnin, we cant afford not to spin along

we are laggin meters per sec behind ooo

and u know it

tell me when was the last time a woman die through giving birth in the west but shiit like this has claimed unecessary lives sister

commmmmmme  on
Re: Why Didn't Obama Apologise To Africa? by ikeyman00(m): 11:02am On Jul 14, 2009
right now the political  looters are standin on the way

and the only bell ringin in their ear na MENd

not nl for sure

(1) (2) (Reply)

Chad Basin Oil Exploration Critical To Economic Growth – Nnpc / Nigeria & Wikileaks - The Real Story Of Wikileaks Has Clearly Not Yet Been Told / .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.