Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,199,990 members, 7,973,410 topics. Date: Saturday, 12 October 2024 at 04:09 PM

Are You Still Coding For Ie6? - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Are You Still Coding For Ie6? (711 Views)

Drag N' Drop Versus Coding Of HTML / Hand Coding And Dreamweaving. / How To Convert Html To Xhtml Without Coding (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are You Still Coding For Ie6? by yawatide(f): 10:09pm On Jul 14, 2009
I have been, up until my latest personal project but my latest project at work has got me thinking otherwise.

We recently deployed changes to our website that for one, has increased our page widths to support those with 1024x768 resolution.  We also were able to cut down server requests on the home page from 121 to 92.  We also (and this is where this post becomes necessary), decided to separate our bulky stylesheets into IE and non-IE (6 and 7) stylesheets.

Throughout the project, coding for IE6 was a pain. IE7 had a thing or 2 here and there but for IE8, we actually didn't do any extra coding.  According to our revenue statistics, only 15% of revenue comes from IE6.  60% comes from IE7 and the rest from FF et al.  So that got us thinking, "do we really want to cater to the remaining 15%?"  Besides, it's not like we are abandoning IE6 users; they will just, like safari users, get a less pleasant experience.

I and 3 others have been working on this for 4 months (you would think expanding one's pages would be that easy but trust me, it isn't. Over 900 files (yes, we do use includes all over the place), 10% of our files, were touched in the process) and I can honestly say that I am strongly reconsidering making my pages IE6-compatible.

What are your thoughts?  Have you stop coding for IE6? Are you still coding for IE6 now?  Of course note that we made our decision not based on the fact that we pulled our hair out trying to hack for IE6 but based on raw, hard statistics.  In other words, what is good for the goose in this case may not necessarily be good for the gander.

Either way, I would love to hear from you.

Thanks,
Re: Are You Still Coding For Ie6? by smartsoft(m): 11:14am On Jul 15, 2009
well sorry am not a coder anymore,  kinda boring, i only combined colours together!
Re: Are You Still Coding For Ie6? by DualCore1: 8:45pm On Jul 15, 2009
smartsoft:

well sorry am not a coder anymore
lol, u run?
Re: Are You Still Coding For Ie6? by nitation(m): 9:01pm On Jul 15, 2009
@ Poster,

From a browser security perspective, I do not think MS expect anyone out there to sill have the IE6 version of it browser on the internet. Having said that, MS cannot monitor who/those that have not upgraded their browser versions to IE8 - as it will be regarded as "breach of user privacy" in terms of software acquisition.

Back to the main subject, I don't think spending more time on IE6 compactibility should be regarded useful (note guys, this is my opinion). With harmful content spreading like "connected gas tankers with flames", any user/organisation with such old fashioned software package should indirectly pay for poor visualization. My deep reason being, it's 99% possible that you will be infected with an e-beans-cake that will cripple the computer you are using .

Do you all think am making any reliable sense. Pardon my syntax, I studied in an Afrikaans Land!! Viva Mandela

- nitation

(1) (Reply)

Implementing Pdt And Ipn On Paypal / Traffic And Adsense: Way Out / Nairalanders, thanks for your Review, a million times well appreciated

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.