Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,172,265 members, 7,884,408 topics. Date: Tuesday, 09 July 2024 at 10:15 AM

Why All Men Should Be Feminists - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why All Men Should Be Feminists (1626 Views)

Modern Age Feminists Are Disguised Lazy Women: Miss Cokie / Cheating Nigerian Wife Threatens A Man Who Said Men Should Do DNA Test / Why Men Should Only Do Traditional Marriage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why All Men Should Be Feminists by MusingsOfALady: 10:59am On Mar 10, 2016
"You are a feminist!" my colleague flung at me.

I use the word "flung" because if you didn't know the meaning of the word "Feminism", the look on his face would have made you think it's a disease like Syphillis or something equally deadly.

"Yes I am and I believe every man should promote Feminism" I replied
"Seriously? You must be kidding, you had better move to the United States" he replied

The truth is I really do believe that statement. Every man should be a feminist but first what really is Feminism? This is the question every person who claims to be a feminist should answer. It's also a question everyone who is against the so called "Feminists" should also answer.

The truth is there so much controversy over who a feminist is. It's not only men who are confused even some women are confused too.

This much I know about who a feminist is not:
A feminist is not one who believes a woman is superior to a man.
A feminist is not one who hates men.
A feminist isn't one who doesn't recognize the difference in make up and roles of both genders in the society. A feminist just recognizes that difference doesn't indicate inferiority.

So going back to the basics : What is Feminism?

Feminism is the belief in the equality of men and women.
Feminism is the belief that women deserve equal opportunities as men
Feminism is the belief that no gender is superior to the other.
Feminism is promotes being being judged and treated based on the competency, their skill or their qualification and not their gender.

Based on this simple definition, am sure you now agree with me that every man should promote feminism.

I mean we all know that while in school we had female classmates who were more or at least as intelligent as the males, we have female bosses as well, So basically we can agree the superiority isn't mentally.

Men are not mentally superior to women, some studies even state the reverse. It's not spiritual either because before God there is neither male nor female. So, the major difference is in our anatomy, is any of the anatomies more important than the other? It's time we discard the outdated primitive belief that women are inferior by reason of their gender.

Being against Feminism is saying that your sons are superior to your daughters irrespective of education, age, status just because they are male.

It's saying your gate man is superior to your wife by just being a man as a matter of fact, it's saying that an uneducated male “agbero” (tout) is superior to a female deputy governor just by being male.

If you are against Feminism then you shouldn't be paying the same school fees for your daughters as you do your sons. Doesn't make sense does it

Most people confuse feminism in the society with the role of women within the marriage. A woman in a marriage (a Christian based marriage) should submit to her own husband (she is not even inferior to him), she is not required to submit to all men JUST HER HUSBAND.

So, is Feminism relevant in Africa? A great part of our issues in Africa stem from the unharnessed potential of half of the population - the women. Imagine if women and men are functioning at their maximum potential!

Relegation and subjugation of women can only be stopped if we address the underlying belief that men are superior to women based on their gender.

We need men to promote this to other men and that is why I say every man should promote feminism.

Do you agree with me? Do you support feminism? I would love to hear your view

Culled from www.themusinglady.com

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why All Men Should Be Feminists by donbenedict(m): 11:26am On Mar 10, 2016
And John Legend is even gay. Phew

1 Like

Re: Why All Men Should Be Feminists by MusingsOfALady: 11:42am On Mar 10, 2016
And Justin Trudeau?

donbenedict:
And John Legend is even gay. Phew

1 Like

Re: Why All Men Should Be Feminists by donbenedict(m): 11:46am On Mar 10, 2016
MusingsOfALady:
And Justin Trudeau?

he hasn't come outta d closet yet wink
Re: Why All Men Should Be Feminists by MusingsOfALady: 11:53am On Mar 10, 2016
Lol grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Nice sense of humour.

So basically any guy that supports feminism is gay?

Seriously?
donbenedict:
he hasn't come outta d closet yet wink
Re: Why All Men Should Be Feminists by donbenedict(m): 11:56am On Mar 10, 2016
MusingsOfALady:
Lol grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Nice sense of humour.

So basically any guy that supports feminism is gay?

Seriously?
hell yes! Feminists r just confused set of people. The confusion is just out of this world. cool

1 Like

Re: Why All Men Should Be Feminists by lilmax(m): 12:03pm On Mar 10, 2016
Yeah we should raise manginas grin
Re: Why All Men Should Be Feminists by oloyede252(m): 12:32pm On Mar 10, 2016
Feminism is good.but what i now hate about it is that it has being reduced to family matters.eg who does chores,50 50 cheating.and all the stuff

2 Likes

Re: Why All Men Should Be Feminists by MusingsOfALady: 12:39pm On Mar 10, 2016
How is Feminism Confusing?

Its simply saying women should not be discriminated against based on their gender and equal opportunities for women.
How can you be against that?

donbenedict:
hell yes! Feminists r just confused set of people. The confusion is just out of this world. cool

1 Like

Re: Why All Men Should Be Feminists by MusingsOfALady: 12:47pm On Mar 10, 2016
Feminism has nothing to to with Cheating. A cheat will cheat because he/she is a cheat. As per 50/50 housework, it depends on the kind of marriage you both agree to have and the roles you both agree to play. if its a 50/50 marriage then you do 50/50 housework and bring in 50/50 to the purse.

or contract the housecleaning job out.

oloyede252:
Feminism is good.but what i now hate about it is that it has being reduced to family matters.eg who does chores,50 50 cheating.and all the stuff

2 Likes

Re: Why All Men Should Be Feminists by oloyede252(m): 1:00pm On Mar 10, 2016
MusingsOfALady:
Feminism has nothing to to with Cheating. A cheat will cheat because he/she is a cheat. As per 50/50 housework, it depends on the kind of marriage you both agree to have and the roles you both agree to play. if its a 50/50 marriage then you do 50/50 housework and bring in 50/50 to the purse.

or contract the housecleaning job out.

we are still saying the same thing..women like you are not in science and tech or politics.all we see is feminism in family.kilode na only family una dey interestd in

1 Like

Re: Why All Men Should Be Feminists by donbenedict(m): 1:14pm On Mar 10, 2016
MusingsOfALady:
How is Feminism Confusing?

Its simply saying women should not be discriminated against based on their gender and equal opportunities for women.
How can you be against that?

if patience jonathan runs for president come 2019, will u vote for her?
Re: Why All Men Should Be Feminists by MusingsOfALady: 1:51pm On Mar 10, 2016
If Dora Akunyili had run run for Presidency, I would have voted for her.

I will vote for Competence and not gender. If I simply voted for Patience because she is a woman then am guilty of prejudice as well.

donbenedict:
if patience jonathan runs for president come 2019, will u vote for her?

1 Like

Re: Why All Men Should Be Feminists by MusingsOfALady: 1:54pm On Mar 10, 2016
Now you are assuming what am into and not into.

Feminism is oriented at the whole society. Its shouldn't be just targeted at the family only. Feminism doesn't remove gender roles or differences. it just gives a choice.

oloyede252:
we are still saying the same thing..women like you are not in science and tech or politics.all we see is feminism in family.kilode na only family una dey interestd in

1 Like

Re: Why All Men Should Be Feminists by oloyede252(m): 2:46pm On Mar 10, 2016
MusingsOfALady:
Now you are assuming what am into and not into.

Feminism is oriented at the whole society. Its shouldn't be just targeted at the family only. Feminism doesn't remove gender roles or differences. it just gives a choice.

am not assuming that the fact.you posted this at family section because that where your interest is.
And we are stil saying the same thing.feminism is orientd at the whole societal institutions not just the family.so try posting this in other areas of concern eg.politics,religion,education,economic sections of nairaland.

1 Like

Re: Why All Men Should Be Feminists by dangotesmummy: 10:19am On Sep 03, 2017
cheesy
Re: Why All Men Should Be Feminists by Nobody: 3:59pm On Sep 03, 2017
I support all women's right and access to education and political offices. But nothing in this world will ever make me declare myself as a feminist, I'd rather say I support most of their views. Maybe in the 80/90s I would have been proud to be one, but today's feminist (3rd wave) are hypocrites and radical leftists

1 Like

Re: Why All Men Should Be Feminists by 1mmanuel(m): 7:36pm On Sep 03, 2017
That was feminism of "those days". Modern feminism is all about destroying what makes a man, look at today's feminists they are shameless,selfish and violent or rather jealous of the natural birth right of men.Now if a man admires a beautiful woman he is a sexist or a potential rapist, soon feminists will complain about men watching Champions League because it doesn't "represent" women or it promotes toxic masculinity.

1 Like

Re: Why All Men Should Be Feminists by YourCoffin: 7:59am On Sep 04, 2017
I believe all the male agberoes in Lagos is superior to Lauretta Onochie

Any man wey near me with the word feminism I go kill am and sell his skull to the Yorubas.
Re: Why All Men Should Be Feminists by Nobody: 8:47am On Sep 04, 2017
The day I hear feminists complain about bride price... I will start taking them serious

Go back to your communities and tell them that bride price and marriage rites means subjugation of women
Re: Why All Men Should Be Feminists by Daeylar(f): 12:48pm On Sep 04, 2017
Op wants to kill some men on this forum, lol, men that don't like to see anything that uplifts women.

MusingsOfALady:

Most people confuse feminism in the society with the role of women within the marriage. A woman in a marriage (a Christian based marriage) should submit to her own husband (she is not even inferior to him), she is not required to submit to all men JUST HER HUSBAND.

This is what most people do and it's very wrong. Nice post

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Husband Refuses To Eat His Wife Meal / When Two Barristers Wed: See Pre Wedding Photos / Life Is Getting Boring.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.