Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,172,542 members, 7,885,235 topics. Date: Wednesday, 10 July 2024 at 06:21 AM

Custom Officers Still Extorting Motorist Along Lagos- Ibadan Expressway - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Custom Officers Still Extorting Motorist Along Lagos- Ibadan Expressway (4081 Views)

Cows Drag Road With Motorist In Abuja (photos) / Photos From The Fatal Accident Along Lagos-ibadan Expressway This Morning / Burning Vehicle Along Lagos-ibadan Express Causes Traffic (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Custom Officers Still Extorting Motorist Along Lagos- Ibadan Expressway by baconline(m): 3:54pm On Jul 19, 2009
These custom officers recently extorted money from me and other motorists in the name that our papers were not regular; that we did not pay the correct amount(Genuine Custom Papers). They have left the toll Gates and moved up to under the Ogere Bridge, Pls be carefully as they will mess you up at the slightest chance. Some months back the house passed a motion that Custom were not to terrorise motorist inside towns, they were suppose to be at the borders only,Can anybody check them.Their vehicle plate number is HQ 049
Re: Custom Officers Still Extorting Motorist Along Lagos- Ibadan Expressway by KunleA2(m): 8:23pm On Jul 19, 2009
baconline:

These custom officers recently extorted money from me and other motorists in the name that our papers were not regular; that we did not pay the correct amount(Genuine Custom Papers). They have left the toll Gates and moved up to under the Ogere Bridge, Pls be carefully as they will mess you up at the slightest chance. Some months back the house passed a motion that Custom were not to terrorise motorist inside towns, they were suppose to be at the borders only,Can anybody check them.Their vehicle plate number is HQ 049

This is unacceptable. Were they seizing cars too?
Re: Custom Officers Still Extorting Motorist Along Lagos- Ibadan Expressway by baconline(m): 8:51pm On Jul 19, 2009
I really can't say if they seized any, but they told me that they will seize d vehicle. After a lot of begging,money parted ways and we left,leaving almost ten victims behind. They were there even yesterday
Re: Custom Officers Still Extorting Motorist Along Lagos- Ibadan Expressway by bigdaddy1: 9:56am On Jul 20, 2009
thanks God you post this. They have always been there extorting money from people. They have taken 5,000 bribe from my brother before they release his car. I was telling some people that the customs officer on lagos ibadan express always extort money from tokunbo owners but they did not beleive me. Once your tokunbo is neat and above 10 years, be careful on that road because anything can happen. They play on the fact that the car has been imported illegally.
Re: Custom Officers Still Extorting Motorist Along Lagos- Ibadan Expressway by baconline(m): 11:03am On Jul 20, 2009
Its not just about cars above 10 yrs,My car was far less than 10 yrs and they stopped me,I had originnal papers but they still found a fault in it.The same attitude the police use is been used by them
Re: Custom Officers Still Extorting Motorist Along Lagos- Ibadan Expressway by Flancey: 2:35pm On Jul 20, 2009
They have seized so many cars. Their patrol isnt illegal o. But ofcourse its an avenue for corruption within the organization.
Re: Custom Officers Still Extorting Motorist Along Lagos- Ibadan Expressway by jolaogun(m): 2:48pm On Jul 20, 2009
Is it possible for someone who leaves Lagos for Ibadan taking the Abeokuta axis to run into these immigration pple? pls i need to know. Would the person be joining the express after the Ogere bridge or b4?
Re: Custom Officers Still Extorting Motorist Along Lagos- Ibadan Expressway by jenju(m): 3:20pm On Jul 20, 2009
This is another manifestation of the culture of corruption that typify our beloved country. Many clearing agents forge papers for presentation to customs officers who look the other way because the officers will receive bribes. Agents are then able to clear, for example, a 2008 car for the price of a 2000 model car. The cars are released with correct customs papers which will however, reflects the deflated customs duties paid.

When you are stopped along Lagos-Ibadan road, you will be harassed if the customs officers see that the fees you paid is lower than it should be, for the car you are driving. I assure you that if the correct duty is paid on your vehicle, they will not harass you. many of the people complaining are enablers who will hound clearing agents for very low fees.

If we all learn to obey our laws, we can reduce corruption.

In the maintime, if you didn't pay the appropriate customs fees, you better hire a uniformed police officer (for few naira) who will ride with you through the said express way, and take a bus back to wherever he belongs. if you can't do that, have plenty of money at hand , consider the funds as toll smiley

Cheers,
J
Re: Custom Officers Still Extorting Motorist Along Lagos- Ibadan Expressway by baconline(m): 3:22pm On Jul 20, 2009
They are not suppose to harrass cars,the house told them to leave all toll gate some weeks back, they are to stay at borders only for cars
Re: Custom Officers Still Extorting Motorist Along Lagos- Ibadan Expressway by jenju(m): 3:38pm On Jul 20, 2009
baconline:

They are not suppose to harrass cars,the house told them to leave all toll gate some weeks back, they are to stay at borders only for cars

I completely agree with you here. At the same time, people are supposed to pay appropriate duties on imports! Everyone is a law breaker, apparently. Its a sad state of affairs.
Re: Custom Officers Still Extorting Motorist Along Lagos- Ibadan Expressway by baconline(m): 11:16am On Jul 21, 2009
Does anybody know anyone in the authorities that can check this illegal activity
Re: Custom Officers Still Extorting Motorist Along Lagos- Ibadan Expressway by Emperoh(m): 1:15pm On Jul 21, 2009
baco
Are u sure you paid the correct duties?
Else i don't see why this should happen?
Re: Custom Officers Still Extorting Motorist Along Lagos- Ibadan Expressway by baconline(m): 3:50pm On Jul 21, 2009
My car came in a container,I am not the importer,I just bought the car from a dealer
Re: Custom Officers Still Extorting Motorist Along Lagos- Ibadan Expressway by KunleA2(m): 3:52pm On Jul 21, 2009
baconline:

My car came in a container,I am not the importer,I just bought the car from a dealer

it should have customs records. no shaking
Re: Custom Officers Still Extorting Motorist Along Lagos- Ibadan Expressway by baconline(m): 11:41am On Jul 30, 2009
Is there nobody in the house that can do something about this problem.You might be the next victim
Re: Custom Officers Still Extorting Motorist Along Lagos- Ibadan Expressway by sultaan(m): 2:34pm On Jul 30, 2009
Aren't we all?

Nigerian is a country of first and only when it come to all the wrong things.
Re: Custom Officers Still Extorting Motorist Along Lagos- Ibadan Expressway by baconline(m): 8:12pm On Jul 30, 2009
What a shame
Re: Custom Officers Still Extorting Motorist Along Lagos- Ibadan Expressway by bigfather(m): 8:43pm On Jul 30, 2009
A friend of my mechanic bought a 4th hand car which has been in use for the past 4yrs before my mech's friend bought the car. This stupid custom guys cars took the car from him all with the excuse that the car was not cleared through the right means and he was asked to pay the normal clearing fee. That guy parted with 200k and funny enough he bough the car for 400k.  shocked
Same thing almost happened to me when i was travelling last week . But i was smart enough to move on before the guy could even blink . Ol'boy IBADAN EXPRESS Rd is just A NO GO AREA for me !  grin
Re: Custom Officers Still Extorting Motorist Along Lagos- Ibadan Expressway by EDOYORUBA: 8:53pm On Jul 30, 2009
The predominant reason why customs officers extort money from motorist is because of the increase in cars on our roads being imported via togo or benin republic. but in all, customs officers should be extorting money, if there is no valid reason to.
Re: Custom Officers Still Extorting Motorist Along Lagos- Ibadan Expressway by Fhemmmy: 9:00pm On Jul 30, 2009
So why not report to the authority?
Re: Custom Officers Still Extorting Motorist Along Lagos- Ibadan Expressway by bigfather(m): 10:56pm On Jul 30, 2009
Fhemmmy:

So why not report to the authority?

That's putting salt into injury . The question is who are the authorities.?
Re: Custom Officers Still Extorting Motorist Along Lagos- Ibadan Expressway by baconline(m): 6:54am On Jul 31, 2009
Please if you know anybody in authority,let us have his contact so we can push this issue
Re: Custom Officers Still Extorting Motorist Along Lagos- Ibadan Expressway by baconline(m): 10:54am On Aug 01, 2009
Can somebody take this issue up
Re: Custom Officers Still Extorting Motorist Along Lagos- Ibadan Expressway by sholasho(m): 11:11am On Aug 01, 2009
What Exactly do you want to understand?
I am willing to clear all your doubts.
Just tell me all you want to know, try and highlights the questions.
SHola
Re: Custom Officers Still Extorting Motorist Along Lagos- Ibadan Expressway by sholasho(m): 11:14am On Aug 01, 2009
SHola
Re: Custom Officers Still Extorting Motorist Along Lagos- Ibadan Expressway by bigfather(m): 3:34pm On Aug 01, 2009
sholasho:

SHola

The question is what are these custom guys doing on the expressway ? They are suppose to be at the borders and not within the metropolis . How can they say a car which was brought naija used was not properly cleared despite the fact that every other papers are intact ? Is that not extortion by force ? Abi is it the buyers fault that the car is well maintained and still clean ? Please somebody should put a stop to this and let these guys go back to where they belong abeg !
Re: Custom Officers Still Extorting Motorist Along Lagos- Ibadan Expressway by BAC: 4:55pm On Aug 01, 2009
I may be able to sort this out. I know Dr bernard the controller general, but the problem is that I don't like asking people for favour, I will call him and mention the discussion on this tread and lets see what he says. If you don't see the customs there any more, that means its Job done. Please note: If they are working within the confines of the law, then nothing anyone can do. And I can't push him to take action as I am an ordinary man and I don't live in Niaja.

So fingers crossed,
Re: Custom Officers Still Extorting Motorist Along Lagos- Ibadan Expressway by baconline(m): 6:44pm On Aug 01, 2009
They come in a truck with plates HQ049.I can identify them if need be
Re: Custom Officers Still Extorting Motorist Along Lagos- Ibadan Expressway by sultaan(m): 9:22pm On Aug 01, 2009
Please show me where the law makers say its okay to do what they are doing.If its not written as law its wrong.
Re: Custom Officers Still Extorting Motorist Along Lagos- Ibadan Expressway by baconline(m): 9:47pm On Aug 01, 2009
We need to teach those punks a lesson
Re: Custom Officers Still Extorting Motorist Along Lagos- Ibadan Expressway by BAC: 9:57am On Aug 02, 2009
His mobile seem to be off. I have been trying him since yesterday. I suspect he may be in the UK . If he is then we have to wait till he gets to Naija as I don't know his number here in the UK
Re: Custom Officers Still Extorting Motorist Along Lagos- Ibadan Expressway by bigfather(m): 10:29am On Aug 02, 2009
BAC:

His mobile seem to be off. I have been trying him since yesterday. I suspect he may be in the UK . If he is then we have to wait till he gets to Naija as I don't know his number here in the UK

Thanks bro. We await your feedback then. I mean we can't be living in fear all the time, you have the ARMED BANDITS, POLICE,VIOs and the CUSTOMS chasing you all around all in the name of extortion.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Peugeot 407 Against Toyota Corolla/camry / Factory. Tints For Cars. / Is The Uber Business Still Lucrative In Lagos?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.