Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,829 members, 7,872,784 topics. Date: Wednesday, 26 June 2024 at 09:49 PM

Custom Officers Still Extorting Motorist Along Lagos- Ibadan Expressway - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Custom Officers Still Extorting Motorist Along Lagos- Ibadan Expressway (4074 Views)

Cows Drag Road With Motorist In Abuja (photos) / Photos From The Fatal Accident Along Lagos-ibadan Expressway This Morning / Burning Vehicle Along Lagos-ibadan Express Causes Traffic (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Custom Officers Still Extorting Motorist Along Lagos- Ibadan Expressway by baconline(m): 11:44am On Aug 02, 2009
Extortion has to be stopped ,milking innocent people of the little they have draws a curse
Re: Custom Officers Still Extorting Motorist Along Lagos- Ibadan Expressway by ERICBON: 1:50pm On Aug 02, 2009
Sometimes i feel the days of the wild wild west should have been today, its a shame the way uniformed personell works, where in the world have anyone heard of custom road block on an interstate freeway or do we need custom duty to drive from Lagos to Ibadan na wa o for this Nija.
To tell you how bad it is i was once asked along this same road for a prove of ownership for my 1999 BMW after nothing was found wrong with my papers, for a car i bought brand new.Its totally crazy.
Please can anyone furnish us with the present custom duties for vehicle brand so those buying and bringing in car will know what is expected of them to avoid the embarrassments of these over zealous officers.
Re: Custom Officers Still Extorting Motorist Along Lagos- Ibadan Expressway by bigfather(m): 3:01pm On Aug 02, 2009
ERICBON:

Sometimes i feel the days of the wild wild west should have been today, its a shame the way uniformed personell works, where in the world have anyone heard of custom road block on an interstate freeway or do we need custom duty to drive from Lagos to Ibadan na wa o for this Nija.
To tell you how bad it is i was once asked along this same road for a prove of ownership for my 1999 BMW after nothing was found wrong with my papers, for a car i bought brand new.Its totally crazy.
Please can anyone furnish us with the present custom duties for vehicle brand so those buying and bringing in car will know what is expected of them to avoid the embarrassments of these over zealous officers.

My brother, that expressway don become fear factor !
Re: Custom Officers Still Extorting Motorist Along Lagos- Ibadan Expressway by bigfather(m): 12:02pm On Aug 03, 2009
A friend just told me now that these guys have moved their rod block to OBA AKRAN, Ikeja .
So make una BEWARE of that route o !
Re: Custom Officers Still Extorting Motorist Along Lagos- Ibadan Expressway by baconline(m): 7:18am On Aug 05, 2009
@BAC still awaiting your action
Re: Custom Officers Still Extorting Motorist Along Lagos- Ibadan Expressway by BAC: 12:34pm On Aug 05, 2009
Sorry I will try him again this evening. I have been busy

Cheers
Re: Custom Officers Still Extorting Motorist Along Lagos- Ibadan Expressway by BAC: 9:15am On Aug 06, 2009
I have spoken to him. He has asked me to email him this thread, he will look into it he said. lets hope something good is going to come out of this.
Re: Custom Officers Still Extorting Motorist Along Lagos- Ibadan Expressway by 9jarocks(m): 10:18am On Aug 06, 2009
big father:

A friend just told me now that these guys have moved their rod block to OBA AKRAN, Ikeja .
So make una BEWARE of that route o !

Na wa oooo

For Lagos-Ibadan expressway, if u stop me, i go clear u, cos not sure which one u be (police, Customs,FRSC, Armed robber ) grin
Re: Custom Officers Still Extorting Motorist Along Lagos- Ibadan Expressway by nnemak(m): 10:41am On Aug 06, 2009
9jarocks:

Na wa oooo

For Lagos-Ibadan expressway, if u stop me, i go clear u, cos not sure which one u be (police, Customs,FRSC, Armed robber ) grin

grin grin grin i beg make them no test You, else u go mud person grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Custom Officers Still Extorting Motorist Along Lagos- Ibadan Expressway by baconline(m): 7:22pm On Aug 06, 2009
Still awaiting to see action on the part of the Controller
Re: Custom Officers Still Extorting Motorist Along Lagos- Ibadan Expressway by baconline(m): 10:52pm On Aug 09, 2009
Still awaiting to see action on the part of the Controller
Re: Custom Officers Still Extorting Motorist Along Lagos- Ibadan Expressway by baconline(m): 2:46pm On Aug 13, 2009
I believe d controller has been retired ans arrested too.What do we do now?
Re: Custom Officers Still Extorting Motorist Along Lagos- Ibadan Expressway by baconline(m): 4:32pm On Aug 15, 2009
d guy is cooling his heels in jail,read d papers,we need to get to the new comptoller
Re: Custom Officers Still Extorting Motorist Along Lagos- Ibadan Expressway by baconline(m): 9:13pm On Aug 17, 2009
Any body in the house who knows the new comptroller?
Re: Custom Officers Still Extorting Motorist Along Lagos- Ibadan Expressway by larryshow4(m): 10:36pm On Aug 17, 2009
@Poster,
That is the new method presumed by the Nigerian Customs now. They would tell you that the amount you pay into the bank is too small. you know the message i give to them and i expect you to give to them. Are you the Custom Officers that accepted it there and issued you your paper. As long as your paper is Embosed and signed to be released. Don't let those custom extort you, but one has no option than to give out OFficer on Duty to them. I just hope the Government would get something to do about this soon.
Re: Custom Officers Still Extorting Motorist Along Lagos- Ibadan Expressway by bigfather(m): 11:54pm On Aug 17, 2009
larryshow4:

@Poster,
That is the new method presumed by the Nigerian Customs now. They would tell you that the amount you pay into the bank is too small. you know the message i give to them and i expect you to give to them. Are you the Custom Officers that accepted it there and issued you your paper. As long as your paper is Embosed and signed to be released. Don't let those custom extort you, but one has no option than to give out OFficer on Duty to them. I just hope the Government would get something to do about this soon.

The only issue there is that you don't won't to argue with these guys or else they'll just cut short somebody's life. My children never enjoy me well,well o ! grin
Re: Custom Officers Still Extorting Motorist Along Lagos- Ibadan Expressway by baconline(m): 8:00pm On Sep 01, 2009
nobody fit help us out?
Re: Custom Officers Still Extorting Motorist Along Lagos- Ibadan Expressway by jolaogun(m): 9:46pm On Sep 05, 2009
[color=#990000]Hey guys,I don't really know how true this is: I heard The President has ordered the Customs not to mount road blocks in non-border cities anymore. Pls anybody could just follow this up and let's know how true it is.
Re: Custom Officers Still Extorting Motorist Along Lagos- Ibadan Expressway by Denn(m): 7:33am On Jan 29, 2011
Good morning all
Just stumbled on this thread today.
Those custom guys are still on the prowl 'like lions seeking for whom to devour'
Are they still allowed on d express?
Thanks
Re: Custom Officers Still Extorting Motorist Along Lagos- Ibadan Expressway by femmy2010(m): 7:54am On Jan 29, 2011
They are allowed anywhere the deem.
Re: Custom Officers Still Extorting Motorist Along Lagos- Ibadan Expressway by osuntokun(m): 11:40am On Jan 29, 2011
Those guys are roags! They held me, seized my car at that Lagos/Ibadan road. I had to go back to lagos to bring my custom papers, they sighted it and started arguing, some say its genuine other said its not. I personally dont do clearing all i do i go to a car stand and buy my car. The moved all the cars they seized to their office in lagos but could not move mine cos of the security lock (the car refused to start). Some days later i saw one of them after RCCG, his car broked down, he qiuckly flagged me and asked that i should forget about last week, that i should please help him go to that same spot to tell them that his car has broken down. What a shameless being! (I actually did as he pleaded to)
Re: Custom Officers Still Extorting Motorist Along Lagos- Ibadan Expressway by femmy2010(m): 12:02pm On Jan 29, 2011
It is advisable to have a copy of your custom papers attached with the vehicle particulars to avoid embarrassment.
Re: Custom Officers Still Extorting Motorist Along Lagos- Ibadan Expressway by ikeyman00(m): 1:09pm On Jan 29, 2011
^^^^^

and lets assume the duty on the paper is an under-payment

does paying extra premium with receipt attached exempt one being harassed by these criminal in uniform
Re: Custom Officers Still Extorting Motorist Along Lagos- Ibadan Expressway by femmy2010(m): 4:56pm On Jan 29, 2011
It definitely would but better to insist that your clearing agent pay the full payment they are expected to pay.
Re: Custom Officers Still Extorting Motorist Along Lagos- Ibadan Expressway by ikeyman00(m): 7:11pm On Jan 29, 2011
^^^^^

and what is full payment if u dnt mind

eg babyboy valued at #1,000,0000 right

and u cleared at #230,000 right

i would assume there will be other expenses that incurred within the range 230,000

so how much is meant to be written on the duty certificate??

no harm intended!!
Re: Custom Officers Still Extorting Motorist Along Lagos- Ibadan Expressway by femmy2010(m): 7:53pm On Jan 29, 2011
@ikeyman00,
For a Babyboy we should have N139k and some change written on the duty card.

Age of used car importated was only extended from 10years to 15years Last Dec of year 2010 but we had 1998 BabyBoy brought into Nigeria via the Lagos ports and cleared but they aren't legitimate entrants and any custom official could use that basis to harass their owners.(Driving a Car older than 10years then was Illegal)

It cost N850k to clear a 2010 Camry and many a time Clearing agents pay what is expected to be paid for a 2007 Camry(N400k),The paid amount is what would be written on the duty card.
Re: Custom Officers Still Extorting Motorist Along Lagos- Ibadan Expressway by cosemiha(m): 8:01pm On Jan 29, 2011
if you need a reliable uniformed guy to transport your cars, lets talk, condition, car must be 2002 and above, have good papers and i will hook you up, cheers
Re: Custom Officers Still Extorting Motorist Along Lagos- Ibadan Expressway by mrsebe: 8:37pm On Jan 29, 2011
oga femmy, u mean we can now import a car within 10 to 15 year now in nigeria?
pls reply.
Re: Custom Officers Still Extorting Motorist Along Lagos- Ibadan Expressway by femmy2010(m): 8:48pm On Jan 29, 2011
@c_osemiha,
If a car is 2002 above and have very valid paperwork why use a uniform guy?

@Mrsebe,
Yes a car as old as 15years can now come into Nigeria legitimately.
Re: Custom Officers Still Extorting Motorist Along Lagos- Ibadan Expressway by mrsebe: 3:27am On Jan 30, 2011
thanks a lot mr femmy. wink wink wink
Re: Custom Officers Still Extorting Motorist Along Lagos- Ibadan Expressway by ikeyman00(m): 12:50pm On Jan 30, 2011
@@@@

thanks a lot femmy

but nna menhh biko o

does it mean then there will addition of premium u ve paid to the underpayment at the time the car was cleared by the agent to issue one duty certificate then
Re: Custom Officers Still Extorting Motorist Along Lagos- Ibadan Expressway by baconline(m): 12:05pm On Feb 04, 2011
I drove to Kano days back to diliver a car,I met Customs at the following points
1.After Tollgate Ibadan Ife Express way
2. Akure axis
3.Just b4 Ibilo
Had to part with 500 naira at each check point
So if yur car has issues beware.
Although this country is a failed nation cant someone help us out

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Factory. Tints For Cars. / How To Know If Your Number Plate Is Genuine Or Fake / Consequences Of Failed Catalytic Converters

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.