Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,698 members, 7,889,231 topics. Date: Sunday, 14 July 2024 at 06:08 AM

Meet Nigerian Woman Who Spent 16 Years In 4 Universities - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Meet Nigerian Woman Who Spent 16 Years In 4 Universities (596 Views)

Senate Signs Petroleum Industry Governance Bill After 16 Years / PDP Conducts Poll To Rate Buhari's 2 Years In Office: See Results And Reactions / Fuel Loading Resumes Aba Depot After 16 Years (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Meet Nigerian Woman Who Spent 16 Years In 4 Universities by Bengist247(m): 4:44pm On Mar 14, 2016
The story of Oluwamayo Ojumah will definitely inspire everyone and teach never give up and follow your dream.

Ojumah was one of the best graduating students in the last convocation of the University of Lagos (UNILAG). Although she graduated with a CGPA of 4.51, that is not the most inspiring thing in her story.

Oyo state born Ojumah is a married woman who has had many failed attempts at studying medicine that took her from Ogun state to the UK, then to Okada in Edo state, before finally graduating with a First Class from the Department of Biochemistry, UNILAG.

Speaking with Vanguard, Ojumah recalled her wasted years in pursuit of the degree.

“I left secondary school in 2004 and in that same year I got admission into Olabisi Onabanjo University (OOU) for Applied Zoology and the agreement was that if I performed well they were going to transfer me to Medicine.

“I had wanted to study Medicine. I didn’t really get the scope of the course, so I was not doing well. I think I left in 200 levels. So my parents said I should go abroad and study Medicine. Unfortunately it was quite expensive and I didn’t want to get them into those strains of providing that kind of finance every year. So, we reached an agreement to come back home and go to Igbinedion University, Okada. That was in 2009.

“I went to the UK and came back. In the UK they were not ready to admit me to read Medicine. I needed to do a lot of courses before and then thinking about the financial implications I had to come back home. Since Igbenedion was better and they said they were going to allow me read Medicine, I came back home. So, when I got to Igbenedion I was admitted into 200 levels with my transcript from OOU. I did 200 levels and 300 levels but at the level of my MB, I failed two courses, I passed Biochemistry and failed Anatomy and Physiology. By the time I did my resit, I think I failed Anatomy and failed the other,” she said.

After failed anatomy and physiology, Ojumah had two options: either to repeat the class or to go abroad. She decided to go to Saint Kitts, an Island in the Americas formerly known as Saint Christopher.

“It was not as expensive like going to the UK. And just within that period while processing the passport, I had a little problem with immigration. It took a little while. Unfortunately, by the time I got my passport, the border had been closed. Unfortunately, my mother passed away in March 2011 and I couldn’t go abroad any more,” she recalled.

However, Ojumah did not give up and started all over again for the fourth time by going to University of Lagos.
Narrating her experience at UNILAG, the woman said that the Biochemistry lecturers were okay as they gave their best.

“At least I have been to other institutions and know the kind of things other students go through. My supervisor Dr. Lawal was supportive. The day I knew he was proud of me was the day he said I was graduating with a First Class. And when they discovered that I was married, I had a better relationship,” she added.

The woman noted that her husband Feliz Ojumah was also very supportive and helped her to study.

Get the full details http://www.bengist247.com/2016/03/meet-nigerian-woman-who-spent-16-years.html?m=0

Re: Meet Nigerian Woman Who Spent 16 Years In 4 Universities by heeyarnuh(f): 5:09pm On Mar 14, 2016
she tried
Re: Meet Nigerian Woman Who Spent 16 Years In 4 Universities by Lovelynature(m): 6:10pm On Mar 14, 2016
Nawa oo

(1) (Reply)

Benin City - Lost Opportunity / Most Popular Makurdi Market Is On Lockdown Due 2 Non-payment Of Staf Salary(pics / INDUSTRY! INDUSTRY! INDUSTRY! ...gov.rochas' Clarion Call Yields Fruits

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.