Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,224 members, 7,887,602 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 11:10 AM

Help My Boerboel Is Not Eating - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / Help My Boerboel Is Not Eating (4134 Views)

My Boerboel And Neapolitan Mastiff All Grown And Sexy / My Boerboel "Dutches" Littered 15 Pups / My Pedigree Boerboel Is Up For Sale See For Yourself (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help My Boerboel Is Not Eating by speedfreak(m): 1:19pm On Mar 15, 2016
I recently acquired a 2yr female Boerboel ( thanks to jendoakino) and since she arrived at my house she doesn't like eating...I tried feeding ha the same food my oda dogs eat ie rice,eggs and half raw meat scraps that I get from a butcher close by but she just picks the meat and shuns the rice, also tried feeding ha wat she eats at ha former home (corn,groundnut,ground fish and acha) but she just licks the food some n turns away,concerned I paid a visit to my vet who dewormed ha n gave her Bcomplex and some oda injections...on getting home she still refused to eat,tot Owk she might just not like eating a lot. this morning my mum commented on how much weight she had lost,then I panicked and decided to turn to Nairaland for help. so if anyone here has a suggestion or tip that would be helpful please let me hear it.pics below
CC: Prodegee,Olumoadebayo,chucky234,knyte, Seun,cbay,blasiangurl,barca boi

1 Like

Re: Help My Boerboel Is Not Eating by cbay(f): 8:49pm On Mar 15, 2016
Female Mastiffs mostly prefers to engage in psychological attention battle with the owner. This I have observed. They start by wanting u to pamper them always and treat her like a queen. bringing food whenever she wants and trowing away trash that doesnt suit her appetite.

Well, a dog is a dog. From ekuke to the great dane! They all have one thing in common; EAT or DIE grin grin

Don't worry ur self too much or u'll suffer from hypertension like i did with my Chloe cheesy

Just ensure that she has been fully dewormed and has some vitamin shots. Then serve her food is small quantity once a day and gradually increase it once you notice improvement.

Do not engage her with treats or small chops that may fill in for the main food. Trust me, dogs can endure hunger much longer than your heart can take it. So man up and take charge.

Thanks

1 Like

Re: Help My Boerboel Is Not Eating by speedfreak(m): 10:26pm On Mar 15, 2016
cbay:
Female Mastiffs mostly prefers to engage in psychological attention battle with the owner. This I have observed. They start by wanting u to pamper them always and treat her like a queen. bringing food whenever she wants and trowing away trash that doesnt suit her appetite.

Well, a dog is a dog. From ekuke to the great dane! They all have one thing in common; EAT or DIE grin grin

Don't worry ur self too much or u'll suffer from hypertension like i did with my Chloe cheesy

Just ensure that she has been fully dewormed and has some vitamin shots. Then serve her food is small quantity once a day and gradually increase it once you notice improvement.

Do not engage her with treats or small chops that may fill in for the main food. Trust me, dogs can endure hunger much longer than your heart can take it. So man up and take charge.

Thanks

thanks a lot,will do just that.what vitamin shots would recommend? BTW how's Chloe we never managed to c ha litter
Re: Help My Boerboel Is Not Eating by blasiangurl85(f): 11:23am On Mar 16, 2016
I believe Cbay has said everything. What I found that worked for me is once I offer my dogs food. I leave it for 15 minutes. Whatever doesn't get eaten is thrown away or kept till the next meal time. After 2 days they were all eating properly without wasting time. Usually shadow can take the whole night to eat his food but once I started this method he eats everything because he knows I will pack it all up if he doesn't finish it.
Also make sure she doesn't have any illness that could be causing her loss of appetite. And always ask your vet what they are giving the dog before they administer. I never allow my vets to give my dogs anything before knowing what exactly it is they are giving them. It's sad to say but you know there are a lot of quacks out there who just want to make money.

1 Like

Re: Help My Boerboel Is Not Eating by uchpanila(m): 1:03pm On Mar 16, 2016
blasiangurl85:
I believe Cbay has said everything. What I found that worked for me is once I offer my dogs food. I leave it for 15 minutes. Whatever doesn't get eaten is thrown away or kept till the next meal time. After 2 days they were all eating properly without wasting time. Usually shadow can take the whole night to eat his food but once I started this method he eats everything because he knows I will pack it all up if he doesn't finish it.
Also make sure she doesn't have any illness that could be causing her loss of appetite. And always ask your vet what they are giving the dog before they administer. I never allow my vets to give my dogs anything before knowing what exactly it is they are giving them. It's sad to say but you know there are a lot of quacks out there who just want to make money.

You are on point! Thought am the only one that do witness this. Sometimes if you ask them it will turn into argument saying "please allow me to do my job, don't teach me"

1 Like

Re: Help My Boerboel Is Not Eating by speedfreak(m): 6:58pm On Mar 16, 2016
thanks for all the advice,will try taking away ha food after sometime although she's pretty violent abt people coming close to ha wen she's eating. As for the vet I had to stop asking and even following them into the room where the administer treatments wen my last vet told me to stop my "busybody cos he did not go to school for nothing,n I should as well treat them myself if I know so much" (his words exactly).Now my sisters hubby does the vaccinations and all other treatment in his clinic so I don't bother much.
Re: Help My Boerboel Is Not Eating by cbay(f): 8:37am On Mar 17, 2016
speedfreak:

thanks a lot,will do just that.what vitamin shots would recommend? BTW how's Chloe we never managed to c ha litter

The crossing operation didn't work out.

She is on heat as we speak and by weekend she'll be consummating with her long time boyfriend Jeff grin
I really need my offspring from that native south African boerboel. I'll update pics when the frolicking commences cheesy

1 Like

Re: Help My Boerboel Is Not Eating by speedfreak(m): 12:54pm On Mar 17, 2016
cbay:

The crossing operation didn't work out.

She is on heat as we speak and by weekend she'll be consummating with her long time boyfriend Jeff grin
I really need my offspring from that native south African boerboel. I'll update pics when the frolicking commences cheesy
waiting for the pics...
Re: Help My Boerboel Is Not Eating by Hilzidea(m): 8:40pm On Mar 17, 2016
Nothing to really fear about bro. give her little food and make sure necessary medications are intact. later she will pick up. it happens. as she responds u gradually increase d meal. at a point she will demand for more. Fear not.
Re: Help My Boerboel Is Not Eating by tomdoggy(m): 11:49pm On Mar 17, 2016
You can contact me on whatzapp line,so I can give u a guardline!! 08034621956[color=#006600][/color]

(1) (Reply)

Top Adult male doberman for sale (purebreed) / Meet my GSD, Roger. / My Croc Getting Bigger

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.