Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,957 members, 7,873,082 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 07:49 AM

Why Really Did Azikiwe Abdicate His Laedership? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Really Did Azikiwe Abdicate His Laedership? (709 Views)

Why Did Azikiwe Reject Awolowo's Offer Of Prime Ministership In 1960? / THE OBA HAS TO ABDICATE / What Did Azikiwe And Michael Opara Do (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Really Did Azikiwe Abdicate His Laedership? by naliakar: 11:52am On Jul 23, 2009
Perhaps one thing I have never quite understood is why Nnamdi Azikiwe abdicated his leadership of Nigeria in 1965-66. I consider this to be the seminal point of the sad trajectory that Nigerian leadership has evolved into. Why did he do it?
Re: Why Really Did Azikiwe Abdicate His Laedership? by no21: 5:23pm On Jul 23, 2009
we will respond when you speak english
Re: Why Really Did Azikiwe Abdicate His Laedership? by Nobody: 5:28pm On Jul 23, 2009
poster

no man is an island.

where are you from btw.
Re: Why Really Did Azikiwe Abdicate His Laedership? by obiem(m): 8:19pm On Jul 23, 2009
naliakar:

Perhaps one thing I have never quite understood is why Nnamdi Azikiwe abdicated his leadership of Nigeria in 1965-66. I consider this to be the seminal point of the sad trajectory that Nigerian leadership has evolved into. Why did he do it?

@no21 it doesn't sound like arabic to me

@poster, Zik did not 'abdicate' his position as President as u r implying. Let me take you back a little. After the republican constitution of 1963, Nigeria adopted a parliamentary system of govt which was in the system practised in most former British colonies. Based on the alliance between the NPC and the NCNC and their eventual victory in the 1959 general elections, a govt was formed with Zik as president and Tafawa Balewa as prime minister. In parliamentary practise, the prime minister is the head of govt while the president is head of state, just like what is obtained in Kenya right now with Mwai Kibaki and Raila Odinga as president and prime minister respectively. Zik wasn't exactly' active' thus Balewa was more in the limelight. When Nzeogwu and co struck in 1966, Zik happened to be away in the United states and Balewa was killed. So to say that Azikiwe abdicated his position is not entirely true.
Re: Why Really Did Azikiwe Abdicate His Laedership? by naliakar: 12:09am On Jul 24, 2009
@Obiem
When Nzeogwu and co struck in 1966, Zik happened to be away in the United states and Balewa was killed. So to say that Azikiwe abdicated his position is not entirely true.

Was it no so convenient that he should travel first to Europe then to the Caribbean just when Nzeogwo struck and later on Ojukwu. Isn't emerging that he may have been aware of the events before traveling. Assuming he was in Nigeria. is there a likelihood he would have suffered the same fate Tafawa Balewa suffered.
Re: Why Really Did Azikiwe Abdicate His Laedership? by naliakar: 12:17am On Jul 24, 2009
@ Tpia

poster

no man is an island.

where are you from btw.

I thought the "where do you come from" game  was an Aloy-Emeka and Becomerich Hobi. Isn't it enough that I am a fellow  Naija abe. Or you are waiting to slot me into the Yoruba, Igbo or Hausa  set stereotypes.

Anyway, tell me how much of Enugu you know first.  What was that you said about the Nnamdi topic being an island?

@No21

we will respond when you speak english

OK I am sorry I used my native tongue initially. You will pardon my clumsiness. Here it is in English.

The annals of Nigerian history have barely interrogated Nnamdi Azikiwe's rationale of convenient self exile when Igbo nationalist aficionados like Nzeogwu and Ironsi struck and effectively railroaded the trajectory of Nigerian leadership toward the self destructive path of the ogre we now live with.And I am asking if there is an explanation out there for such reckless abdication.
Re: Why Really Did Azikiwe Abdicate His Laedership? by bawomolo(m): 12:22am On Jul 24, 2009
why would azikwe support a coup that was meant to take him out of power?

He didn't haven't anything to gain from the coup and spoke against it. he had no control of the army considering he was a ceremonial head.
Re: Why Really Did Azikiwe Abdicate His Laedership? by Nobody: 1:02am On Jul 24, 2009
naliakar:

I thought the "where do you come from" game  was an Aloy-Emeka and Becomerich Hobi. Isn't it enough that I am a fellow  Naija abe. Or you are waiting to slot me into the Yoruba, Igbo or Hausa  set stereotypes.

Anyway, tell me how much of Enugu you know first.  What was that you said about the Nnamdi topic being an island?

You seem Francophone, hence my question.

My island comment was in response to this:

naliakar:

why Nnamdi Azikiwe abdicated his leadership of Nigeria in 1965-66. I consider this to be the seminal point of the sad trajectory that Nigerian leadership has evolved into.

Nigerian politics isnt dependent on any one person.

btw, what I've noticed is you're the one trying to appear oversmart and labelling others while hiding your own identity.

You have a choice of giving yourself a stereotype or staying out of the game. So far you dont seem to be interested in the latter option.
Re: Why Really Did Azikiwe Abdicate His Laedership? by naliakar: 2:19am On Jul 24, 2009
@tpia
btw, what I've noticed is you're the one trying to appear oversmart and labelling others while hiding your own identity.

You have a choice of giving yourself a stereotype or staying out of the game. So far you don't seem to be interested in the latter option.

How studious of you tpia. I am just part of the swarming tide of naija opinions' eb and flow. In a collective forum such as this one, yone assumes a singular identity, but only within the collective (very much like in jazz music). My comments are meaningful only when pitted against/alongside others. It is in that spirit that my smartness nourishes and is nourished by everyone else's.

Here is an offer. Post your picture here first and I will invite you to a meal of ngwo-ngwo and reveal myself to you. Deal?

Now back to the topic
Re: Why Really Did Azikiwe Abdicate His Laedership? by Nobody: 2:35am On Jul 24, 2009
yawn.

You obviously think you're the next best thing since sliced bread.

Let me step aside and allow you to bask in your fantasies.

(1) (Reply)

Kidnappers, Ritualists Invade Presidential State Of Katsina / No Good Governance: No Winner For $5 Million African Leadership Prize / Dangote May File For Bankruptcy?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.