Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,670 members, 7,882,266 topics. Date: Saturday, 06 July 2024 at 08:20 PM

The Atheist: God's Judgement On Christless "christians" - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Atheist: God's Judgement On Christless "christians" (1313 Views)

Why Are The Atheist Not Seeing This? / Mock The Atheist. / God's Judgement "unfair" Or "just"? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Atheist: God's Judgement On Christless "christians" by Nobody: 5:22am On Jul 27, 2009
I once used to detest the atheists on this forum . . . but with time i have come to realise one thing . . . i would rather have them than the multitudes of "christians" parading our churches today.

When 40% of Joel Osteen's TV viewership openly label themselves non-christian and 57% of those who attend Granger community church do not believe the bible as the final authority on the christian life then you know there is something desperately wrong with the modern church.

When the atheist asks for "proof" that God exists . . . i used to think it was a most irrational question. Not anymore . . . brothers and sisters where is the proof that God truly exists? Where are the christians with burning zeal like the ancient apostles? where are the miracles? Where are the messages that once convicted 3000 on the day of pentecost?

Today we hear of "revivals" (more like religious entertainment), churches have become mini-rock concerts, worship bands have become mere secular music entertainers who also strive for godless music awards, worship in church is nothing more than standing for 30mins admiring the skill of the drummer or the lead rock singer.

I remember going with a friend to a new church sometime this summer . . . as usual when the message was about to start i brought out my bible and casually asked if she brought hers. She simply pointed to the big screen and sat back to enjoy the psychology seminar (sorry sermon!). I wasnt surprised . . . i wager less than 1% of church members even remember to bring a bible to church anymore. Its no longer relevant to read Christ's words . . . its ok to sit through another round of me me me me seminars . . . using one or two horribly misquoted bible references to lend some legitimacy to our heresy.

We have raised up teachers to scratch our itchy ears. We now time our services for no more than an hour because too many of us either suffer attention-deficit-disorder or cant understand why God would demand so much of our time (just 1 hr once a week!) when we could be out there hitting some golf balls or better still watching the football game!

Coming from Nigeria i'd always assumed that all big churches would have midweek bible studies . . . not anymore! We still have midweek "life" groups but its all about "fellowship", having fun and everything but the main reason we call ourselves christians in the first place.

And we seriously think the atheist is crazy? Our lives are no better than theirs, we curse like them, drink like them, chase chics like them, worship money like them, attend their concerts . . . and then berate them for deciding to sleep-in rather than join us for a pop-psychology class every sunday?

Listen to the "sermons" on offer these days . . . its always 7 ways to . . . 54 attitudes for a better you, 189 reasons your life is in the dumps . . . how to grow your marriage . . . where in the bible did Paul preach all these to Timothy? Our pastors are now bestselling authors of motivational books on money, marriage, sex, emotions . . . everything but Christ and His saving grace. Some churches are nothing but big theaters with strobe lights, smoke makers . . . our pastors dress casual (the in-thing!) to the podium (sorry pulpit), fans (sorry worshipers) go to church dressed in slippers and jeans . . . absolutely no reverence for the Almighty!

The Alpha and the Omega has become JC to many, a buddy we can order around when we need to feel good. yeah the message of the cross, the agony of gethsemane has been reduced to a me-centered religious feel-good activity.

Here is Rick Pino's (a worship leader by the way) latest "worship" song

Mess us up, mess us up in your presence, oh God…
Mess us up, mess us up in your presence, oh God… etc…

Grab your partner, do-si-do…
Don’t be shy just let it go…
Don’t be shy just let it go…
Mess us up!!!

Yeah, this must have been what Paul had in mind when he said we shld - Eph 5:19 Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord;

Long ago when i was a little boy, i would get in trouble for not bringing a hymn book to church . . . today i cant even remember if the last time i sang a hymn . . . thank God for the ipod.

At least the atheist is honest . . . he'd rather visit a qualified psychologist than the ones we parade every sunday.
Re: The Atheist: God's Judgement On Christless "christians" by Nobody: 5:29am On Jul 27, 2009
and just in case you didnt know . . . there are now pre-packaged sermons on the web. Just $199.99 for a 52 week plan complete with anecdotes, bible verses and all.

and in case you dont have money to purchase a plan, you can just plagiarise another pastor's sermon . . . heck Tadd Grandstaff shows us how to do just that . . .

[flash=425,344]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdMdnMfM6d8&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&feature=player_embedded&fs=1[/flash]

I hear he called it a "collaboration".
Re: The Atheist: God's Judgement On Christless "christians" by SeanT21(f): 5:53am On Jul 27, 2009
"When 40% of Joel Osteen's TV viewership openly label themselves non-christian and 57% of those who attend Granger community church do not believe the bible as the final authority on the christian life then you know there is something desperately wrong with the modern church."

WOW~~Shocking.

The Church is going downhill. I visited a friend Church a few weeks back and was so shocked. Homosexuals made up half of the Choir and they were also getting baptised. How can U be Gay,come to church every sunday and even sing in the choir?? Most Church's are just big money making machine. If U want to get rich quick then become a pastor. The Church I used to attend was another fake church. The pastor owed some of the congregation some money which he refused to pay..undecided

“Some go to church to see and be seen, Some go there to say they have been, Some go there to sleep and nod, But few go there to worship God”.

I hardly go to Church anymore. I rather just read and study the Bible on my own.Sometimes I catch Joel Osteen on TV.
Re: The Atheist: God's Judgement On Christless "christians" by Diva1(f): 6:17am On Jul 27, 2009
SeanT21:

"When 40% of Joel Osteen's TV viewership openly label themselves non-christian and 57% of those who attend Granger community church do not believe the bible as the final authority on the christian life then you know there is something desperately wrong with the modern church."

WOW~~Shocking.

The Church is going downhill. I visited a friend Church a few weeks back and was so shocked. Homosexuals made up half of the Choir and they were also getting baptised. How can U be Gay,come to church every sunday and even sing in the choir?? Most Church's are just big money making machine. If U want to get rich quick then become a pastor. The Church I used to attend was another fake church. The pastor owed some of the congregation some money which he refused to pay..undecided

“Some go to church to see and be seen, Some go there to say they have been, Some go there to sleep and nod, But few go there to worship God”.

I hardly go to Church anymore. I rather just read and study the Bible on my own.Sometimes I catch Joel Osteen on TV.

I quite agree with especially here in the US, most churches do not even encourage you or motivate you to want to go compared to Nigeria BUT still that should not be enough reason or excuse for one not to go to church. Not because of the so called hypocrites that fill the church, you find a church that you as the individual learn something, feel motivated, encouraged. Those tv shows like Joel Osteen and others, sure are ok but one should not form a habit to just stay home and watch it on sundays when much emphasis was put on that day. To take out time especially that day to gather with others to worship him. Joel Osteen and so on can be watched anytime, everyday, whenever.
Re: The Atheist: God's Judgement On Christless "christians" by SeanT21(f): 6:22am On Jul 27, 2009
Diva1:

I quite agree with especially here in the US, most churches do not even encourage you or motivate you to want to go compared to Nigeria BUT still that should not be enough reason or excuse for one not to go to church. Not because of the so called hypocrites that fill the church, you find a church that you as the individual learn something, feel motivated, encouraged. Those tv shows like Joel Osteen and others, sure are ok but one should not form a habit to just stay home and watch it on sundays when much emphasis was put on that day. To take out time especially that day to gather with others to worship him. Joel Osteen and so on can be watched anytime, everyday, whenever.

I know but Its hard to find a good church. I will keep on searching. Hopefully,One day I will find a good church to attend happily every sunday morning.
Re: The Atheist: God's Judgement On Christless "christians" by Nobody: 9:32am On Jul 27, 2009
@Davidlyan
You seem to be very passionate about your christianity and whilst i do share some of your passion i don't entirely agree with you on a number of issues. I have one question to ask you though, how do you that the bible is 100% accurate? As in what makes you so sure that it is the undiluted word of God given the fact that it was put together by the catholic church which you dis-trust so much. Remember the bible is a collection of books written over a period spanning at least two thousand years.
Re: The Atheist: God's Judgement On Christless "christians" by huxley2(m): 10:02am On Jul 27, 2009
davidylan:

[size=18pt]I once used to detest the atheists on this forum . . . [/size]but with time i have come to realise one thing . . . i would rather have them than the multitudes of "christians" parading our churches today.

When 40% of Joel Osteen's TV viewership openly label themselves non-christian and 57% of those who attend Granger community church do not believe the bible as the final authority on the christian life then you know there is something desperately wrong with the modern church.

Showing yourself up again for the hypocrite you are, are you? How long have you been familiar with the supposed Jesus's message of love? Did you detest the atheists in NL in spite of this message?

[size=18pt]Do you love the atheist now ( as you love yourself)?[/size]
Re: The Atheist: God's Judgement On Christless "christians" by Tudor6(f): 10:39am On Jul 27, 2009
I wonder why all the hulla baloo. People are just re-inventing their own brand of christianity and moving on albeit using the bible just like the hypocrite-general (jesus) created his own form of modified judaism using the Torah (changing some basic principles and laws).
The consequence of this was a more open and tolerant religion as seen in the acceptance of gentiles, preaching tolerance and forgiveness instead of an eye for an eye, laxing the law of sabbath e.t.c.

Christianity is moving on and getting reformed, reflecting our changing and improving society and tastes. The most important things in life are now money,sex and sexuality, marriage(gay and same sex) and work unlike in the days of jesus when farming,trading,livestock rearing,fishing and listening to parables were their biggest headache. People like davidylan are the pharisees and saduccees of our day, thinking they have a monopoly over the bible and the truth, trying to stifle change and reform like the high priests tried to do. Bad news david, just like the self-righteous pharisees couldn't stop jesus' reform what chances do you have in the 21st century where technology and media help spread their brand message wide. I predict that sometime in the future, certain pastors would be more popular than jesus and they'll be regarded as sons of god too! THE DEATH OF CHRISTIANITY AS TAUGHT BY JESUS HAS BEGUN.
Re: The Atheist: God's Judgement On Christless "christians" by toneyb: 10:57am On Jul 27, 2009
Tudór:

I wonder why all the hulla baloo. People are just re-inventing their own brand of christianity and moving on albeit using the bible just like the hypocrite-general (jesus) created his own form of modified judaism using the Torah (changing some basic principles and laws).
The consequence of this was a more open and tolerant religion as seen in the acceptance of gentiles, preaching tolerance and forgiveness instead of an eye for an eye, laxing the law of sabbath e.t.c.

Christianity is moving on and getting reformed, reflecting our changing and improving society and tastes. The most important things in life are now money,sex and sexuality, marriage(gay and same sex) and work unlike in the days of jesus when farming,trading,livestock rearing,fishing and listening to parables were their biggest headache. People like davidylan are the pharisees and saduccees of our day, thinking they have a monopoly over the bible and the truth, trying to stifle change and reform like the high priests tried to do. Bad news david, just like the self-righteous pharisees couldn't stop jesus' reform what chances do you have in the 21st century where technology and media help spread their brand message wide. I predict that sometime in the future, certain pastors would be more popular than jesus and they'll be regarded as sons of god too! THE DEATH OF CHRISTIANITY AS TAUGHT BY JESUS HAS BEGUN.

I don't think jesus ever created any new religion on his own, people created a new religion around him using him as the head of it all, people like paul, and the roman catholic bishops that compiled the bible and some borrowed ideas like the trinity and a clear distortion of the. torah.

Christianity has never been the same and will never be. Christians themselves do NOT agree on the basic nature of who and what god is.

Davidylan thinks his own idea or conception of god based on cherry picking some verses in the bible is the most accurate, he forgets that those he berates and calls their interpretation of the bible heresy all believe that theirs is the best and honest interpretation of the bible. Since no god has ever told christians that he exist, they accept the bible (which was written by men and put together by men through votes) as the word of god(because some men sat down and decided to call it the word of their god) and keep self projecting themselves as god using the bible by mostly cherry picking some of it's contents that agrees with their own theology or personal reflection of who they believe god is.
Re: The Atheist: God's Judgement On Christless "christians" by Krayola2(m): 11:05am On Jul 27, 2009
Everyone is an "atheist" in respect to other religions.
Re: The Atheist: God's Judgement On Christless "christians" by jagunlabi(m): 2:58pm On Jul 27, 2009
The entire christian religion is and has always been "christless",so what is new?To be christless is the very definition of christianity since the day the roman emperor Constantin saw it's usefulness as an empire religion and got hold of it,and even long before then.And it will continue to be "christless" long after you and i are gone.If christianity has not destroyed itself from within before then,that is.
Re: The Atheist: God's Judgement On Christless "christians" by JeSoul(f): 4:31pm On Jul 27, 2009
David,

I agree wholeheartedly with everything you've expressed. Let me add though that for a while I was very distressed and discouraged with the state of the 'church' in America and the world. I am still distressed but I am just as much enouraged because I see, read about and hear of believers all around the world standing up for Christ, living out the gospel - just the other day there was a story on the church in Iran facing persecution and standing in the midst of it all - stories like that remind me that[b] though the devil would have us believe true christianity is going extinct, it is still alive and flourishing[/b], Christians all over the world are standing up and living out the gospel of Jesus Christ - its just that we don't see them as they quietly serve the Lord.
Re: The Atheist: God's Judgement On Christless "christians" by Nobody: 4:47pm On Jul 27, 2009
@davidlyan
Whilst you are pondering over my previous question, i would like to ask you another. Do you consider your self as a christ like christian? cos i have read a lot of unchrist like posts written by you directed to other christians and non christians.
Re: The Atheist: God's Judgement On Christless "christians" by noetic2: 4:48pm On Jul 27, 2009
@ Davidylan

That was a rich video. . . .I have nothing to add.
Re: The Atheist: God's Judgement On Christless "christians" by Chrisbenogor(m): 5:01pm On Jul 27, 2009
@david
I still hate your guts grin but that came from a really disappointed person.
Re: The Atheist: God's Judgement On Christless "christians" by Nobody: 5:30pm On Jul 27, 2009
jagunlabi:

The entire christian religion is and has always been "christless",so what is new?To be christless is the very definition of christianity since the day the roman emperor Constantin saw it's usefulness as an empire religion and got hold of it,and even long before then.And it will continue to be "christless" long after you and i are gone.If christianity has not destroyed itself from within before then,that is.

that's false . . . why we still keep reading such nauseating lies is beyond me.

Jagoon:

@davidlyan
Whilst you are pondering over my previous question, i would like to ask you another. Do you consider your self as a christ like christian? cos i have read a lot of unchrist like posts written by you directed to other christians and non christians.

What is your definition of a "Christ-like christian"? A meek little lamb who turns all cheeks to you?
Re: The Atheist: God's Judgement On Christless "christians" by Nobody: 7:56pm On Jul 27, 2009
davidylan:

What is your definition of a "Christ-like christian"? A meek little lamb who turns all cheeks to you?

Well as a christian i expect you to know what a christ like christian is. It is not my definition but a bible definition. In your understanding of what being christ like is do you believe you exhibit christ like qualities? I know most christians don't but then there are exceptions.
Re: The Atheist: God's Judgement On Christless "christians" by Nobody: 8:58pm On Jul 27, 2009
No offence meant. . . but I think that 'Christ-less christian' is a contradiction in terms.
Re: The Atheist: God's Judgement On Christless "christians" by Nobody: 8:51am On Jul 28, 2009
imhotep:

No offence meant. . . but I think that 'Christ-less christian' is a contradiction in terms.
The truth is that most people that profess to be christians are christless or better expressed as NOT christ like in behaviour and attitude.
Re: The Atheist: God's Judgement On Christless "christians" by agitator: 9:34am On Jul 28, 2009
Nigerians are very good at misusing words
christian = Christ like.  There is noting like christless christians, that is, if you are not like Christ you are not a christian.  Christian simply means Christ like.
Just like one guy put on his 12ft X 20ft shop signpost DIVINE MALL  cheesy when did the meaning of mall change to small shops.
Re: The Atheist: God's Judgement On Christless "christians" by Nobody: 10:02am On Jul 28, 2009
agitator:

Nigerians are very good at misusing words
christian = Christ like. There is noting like christless christians, that is, if you are not like Christ you are not a christian. Christian simply means Christ like.
Just like one guy put on his 12ft X 20ft shop signpost DIVINE MALL cheesy when did the meaning of mall change to small shops.

Well it is not about mis-using words, if you read the bible in the books of acts the first people that were called christians were called christians becos they were christlike but today peope are called christians becos they profess christianity or they subscribe to the christian faith even though they don't behave christ like as stated in the bible. Another error we make today is in the use of the term "church" today we assume a place of worship for christians is what a church is were as the bible defines it as a gathering off believers irrespective of were ever they met whether in the open or in a building, it was the people that made up the church and NOT the building.
Re: The Atheist: God's Judgement On Christless "christians" by Nezan(m): 10:18am On Jul 28, 2009
The devil goes round, roaring like a lion. We war not against flesh but against principalities from the lowest pits of hell. Brethren, beware.

(1) (Reply)

The Two Witnesses. / "Einstein Was Right, You Can Be In Two Places At Once" / Nigeria Gospel Radio Debuts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.