Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,734 members, 7,875,841 topics. Date: Saturday, 29 June 2024 at 11:02 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (10303) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (12000686 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10300) (10301) (10302) (10303) (10304) (10305) (10306) ... (16398) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 9:15pm On Mar 12, 2021
Joelinton still plays in the premier league

Wow
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 9:39pm On Mar 12, 2021
andrewbaba44:

Chris wood of burnley right

Yes
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by JohnBullMySon: 9:45pm On Mar 12, 2021
12large1:
12 goals in the worst team in Seria A (big 3) all I will say is that SE striker position belongs to no one and strikers in form should be given a chance. It doesn't make sense when the people omitted has more goals than all the people invited combined. Makes no sense
I don't know why people are not talking about Iheanacho. because of that one goal, he got invited. Iheanacho shouldn't even be on that list.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Toylove: 9:58pm On Mar 12, 2021
Konsa is ahead of adarabioyo if Southgate is to consider 1 of the 2

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Karlovych: 11:36pm On Mar 12, 2021
Toylove:
Adarabioyo must be dreaming if he thinks England will call him up, there are over 9 central defenders ahead of him in the pecking order. The only reason why Southgate might call up Konsa is to cap-tie him.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 11:46pm On Mar 12, 2021
Ajax are interested in Okoye
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:59pm On Mar 12, 2021
Yes and the sources are many and legit like ESPN Netherlands and more.
They have made official enquiries shaa. Time will tell if they follow it up with concrete bids.

Nigeria's German Wall, Okoye is now getting the deserved attention after a fine season so far. On this, I have to admit that Rohr is vindicated.

jihday:
Ajax are interested in Okoye

8 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 12:40am On Mar 13, 2021
Omo... Rohr cannot call everybody. I agree his form needs to be rewarded and I have said this before but there is absolutely no way I would fault Rohr for not looking his way. Besides it was just this March Simy resumed his goals rush like he always does when Nigeria has a major tournament or Competitive line of fixtures coming up.

He did it prior to the WC in Russia and gatecrashed the squad. He did it again prior to the Afcon in 2019 while in Serie B... But Rohr didn't fall for it. Lol

Thing is for the latest squad, Rohr had to name three Strikers and he did. And all three strikers (Osimhen, Iheanacho and SADIQ) deserve it as well. Plus their style fits the fast pace of the team's attacking style. Onuachu no even make main list na Simy wan come enter? Lol

Just be glad with the depth we have. And I am sure if Simy was called now and starts against Benin and fumbles, na still Rohr una go come for saying "Okay, why didn't he call a player that he knows will fit the way our attack functions? Why didnt he call this or that?"

Make una dey cool down. This pattern always repeat itself. The best players to fans looking at a list are always those not on the list. Na wa.

On this "we can play to his style"... Just as in the case of Onuachu... I want to add something on this. The national team don't meet for weeks before a game to work on playing to the style of a particular player. In the short time that the team will meet, they will have to work on playing to the style that suits everyone and that will produce the desired result. If a player won't fit into how the team is meant to function to approach a game, then there is already problem.

If we wanna play to Onuachu's strengths which actually require an alteration of our fast attacking style that involves the striker also making channels of attack for the inverted wingers, then we will need more training sessions dedicated to just that. And we would need to play without skillful inverted wingers too. How many wingers do we have of traditional style? How many of them even start for the NT if any?

Any striker coming in will meet Chukwueze and Kalu/Simon as the wingers (not to mention Ejuke, Dennis, Lookman coming in) and have to cope with establishing that on-field synergy and understanding with them to flourish.

This is why folks here make me laugh when they run their mouths because somebody has goals stats. I want them to tell me the league goals stats of Giroud prior to the 2018 WC compared to Lacazette at Arsenal. When they have researched that and found out the obvious. They should please tell me why Giroud (on lesser goals) was picked ahead of a Lacazette who scored more.

In 2017/18 season prior to the WC in Russia, Laca outscored Giroud in the same league (EPL).

In 2016/17 season prior to the season that came before Russia 2018, Laca outscored Giroud also.

So why was Giroud always picked ahead of a player with the better goals stat??

National team football is not just about your club stats in as much as they also should be good. Ultimately it's more about how that national team functions and which players will carry out those functions best.

Let that sink in. It's good to have the club stats in your favor. But what good are your club stats if it cannot be translated to the national team because you struggle in the system of the national team? Question mark for those who don't seem to get (but may want to understand) the dynamics of why stats doesn't say it all.

IDENNAA:
Beautiful goals by Simmy Nwankwo. He is growing tremendously in confidence and deserves a call by Rohr. He is a little slow but we can play to his style.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 3:37am On Mar 13, 2021
TheSuperNerd:
Omo... Rohr cannot call everybody. I agree his form needs to be rewarded and I have said this before but there is absolutely no way I would fault Rohr for not looking his way. Besides it was just this March Simy resumed his goals rush like he always does when Nigeria has a major tournament or Competitive line of fixtures coming up.

He did it prior to the WC in Russia and gatecrashed the squad. He did it again prior to the Afcon in 2019 while in Serie B... But Rohr didn't fall for it. Lol

Thing is for the latest squad, Rohr had to name three Strikers and he did. And all three strikers (Osimhen, Iheanacho and SADIQ) deserve it as well. Plus their style fits the fast pace of the team's attacking style. Onuachu no even make main list na Simy wan come enter? Lol

Just be glad with the depth we have. And I am sure if Simy was called now and starts against Benin and fumbles, na still Rohr una go come for saying "Okay, why didn't he call a player that he knows will fit the way our attack functions? Why didnt he call this or that?"

Make una dey cool down. This pattern always repeat itself. The best players to fans looking at a list are always those not on the list. Na wa.

On this "we can play to his style"... Just as in the case of Onuachu... I want to add something on this. The national team don't meet for weeks before a game to work on playing to the style of a particular player. In the short time that the team will meet, they will have to work on playing to the style that suits everyone and that will produce the desired result. If a player won't fit into how the team is meant to function to approach a game, then there is already problem.

If we wanna play to Onuachu's strengths which actually require an alteration of our fast attacking style that involves the striker also making channels of attack for the inverted wingers, then we will need more training sessions dedicated to just that. And we would need to play without skillful inverted wingers too. How many wingers do we have of traditional style? How many of them even start for the NT if any?

Any striker coming in will meet Chukwueze and Kalu/Simon as the wingers (not to mention Ejuke, Dennis, Lookman coming in) and have to cope with establishing that on-field synergy and understanding with them to flourish.

This is why folks here make me laugh when they run their mouths because somebody has goals stats. I want them to tell me the league goals stats of Giroud prior to the 2018 WC compared to Lacazette at Arsenal. When they have researched that and found out the obvious. They should please tell me why Giroud (on lesser goals) was picked ahead of a Lacazette who scored more.

In 2017/18 season prior to the WC in Russia, Laca outscored Giroud in the same league (EPL).

In 2016/17 season prior to the season that came before Russia 2018, Laca outscored Giroud also.

National team football is not just about your club stats in as much as they also should be good. Ultimately it's more about how that national team functions and which players will carry out those functions best.

Let that sink in. It's good to have the club stats in your favor. But what good are your club stats if it cannot be translated to the national team because you struggle in the system of the national team? Question mark for those who don't seem to get (but may want to understand) the dynamics of why stats doesn't say it all.

You have it all with your unbiased analysis. The problem is so many people here follow their sentiments..tribal or otherwise. Rohr cannot please everybody. Westerhof used over 200 players between 1990 to 1994, he had to pick a final 23.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 4:48am On Mar 13, 2021
TheSuperNerd:

you have time and energy, I just dey look them. Like Simi haven't played for us before or did he suddenly turn to C Ronaldo over the past 1 year

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Olulong(m): 8:07am On Mar 13, 2021
Wow. This would be huge

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 9:20am On Mar 13, 2021
Toylove:

They are many self

Tyrone mings and Timor’s also and the players ahead of him aren’t even sure of a place in England squad
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Eizzy003(m): 9:21am On Mar 13, 2021
SAY WHERE YOU TO PLAY CARLO ANCELOTTI TELLS ALEX IWOBI

Carlo Ancelotti has said Alex Iwobi should tell him face-to-face where he prefers to play at Everton rather than resort to cryptic complaints on social media.

Iwobi marked his selection for Nigeria’s forthcoming internationals against Benin and Lesotho with an Instagram post on Tuesday that read: “Always an honour to get a call up to my national team. Hopefully I get to play in my preferred position.” The 24-year-old did not specify whether he was referring to club or country but posted the comment a day after being substituted in the 56th minute against Chelsea. He was also withdrawn in the 58th minute of Everton’s previous game at West Bromwich Albion, and has been substituted in his last six starts. Carlo Ancelotti has said Alex Iwobi should tell him face-to-face where he prefers to play at Everton rather than resort to cryptic complaints on social media.

Iwobi marked his selection for Nigeria’s forthcoming internationals against Benin and Lesotho with an Instagram post on Tuesday that read: “Always an honour to get a call up to my national team. Hopefully I get to play in my preferred position.” The 24-year-old did not specify whether he was referring to club or country but posted the comment a day after being substituted in the 56th minute against Chelsea. He was also withdrawn in the 58th minute of Everton’s previous game at West Bromwich Albion, and has been substituted in his last six starts.
I read the post. I want to speak to him, of course,” said Ancelotti. “I want to know his preferred position because usually I want to put a player on the pitch where they are comfortable to play, not where they are uncomfortable to play. If he has an idea of where he prefers to play I have to know, I want to know. I would be delighted to know his preferred position and I’ll put him in his preferred position for sure, no doubt.
“I am going to tell him: ‘Tell me, I am your manager, tell me where you want to play’. When I thought to put Pirlo as a holding midfielder I asked him: ‘Do you like to play there or not?’. ‘Yes’, he said to me, ‘I’d love to play there’ and so I put him there. If he wants to play number 10 or number nine I’ll put him at number 10 or number nine no problem. I can adapt the system.”

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 9:23am On Mar 13, 2021
Truidstar:

You have it all with your unbiased analysis. The problem is so many people here follow their sentiments..tribal or otherwise. Rohr cannot please everybody. Westerhof used over 200 players between 1990 to 1994, he had to pick a final 23.

There is nothing tribal in what anyone is saying abeg

We are yet to even complain of Simy not being called up

What 90 percent of us said Is musa and shehu should be nowhere near that team and that’s the true fact
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elunico: 9:46am On Mar 13, 2021
Olulong:
Wow. This would be huge

I believe this has something to do with Onana's ban. I would like for this to pull through, the young man has been steadily improving.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Olulong(m): 10:17am On Mar 13, 2021
elunico:

I believe this has something to do with Onana's ban. I would like for this to pull through, the young man has been steadily improving.

Yeah. But the question now is what happens when Onana ban ends??
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by JayromWrites: 11:15am On Mar 13, 2021
Eizzy003:
SAY WHERE YOU TO PLAY CARLO ANCELOTTI TELLS ALEX IWOBI

Carlo Ancelotti has said Alex Iwobi should tell him face-to-face where he prefers to play at Everton rather than resort to cryptic complaints on social media.

Iwobi marked his selection for Nigeria’s forthcoming internationals against Benin and Lesotho with an Instagram post on Tuesday that read: “Always an honour to get a call up to my national team. Hopefully I get to play in my preferred position.” The 24-year-old did not specify whether he was referring to club or country but posted the comment a day after being substituted in the 56th minute against Chelsea. He was also withdrawn in the 58th minute of Everton’s previous game at West Bromwich Albion, and has been substituted in his last six starts. Carlo Ancelotti has said Alex Iwobi should tell him face-to-face where he prefers to play at Everton rather than resort to cryptic complaints on social media.

Iwobi marked his selection for Nigeria’s forthcoming internationals against Benin and Lesotho with an Instagram post on Tuesday that read: “Always an honour to get a call up to my national team. Hopefully I get to play in my preferred position.” The 24-year-old did not specify whether he was referring to club or country but posted the comment a day after being substituted in the 56th minute against Chelsea. He was also withdrawn in the 58th minute of Everton’s previous game at West Bromwich Albion, and has been substituted in his last six starts.
I read the post. I want to speak to him, of course,” said Ancelotti. “I want to know his preferred position because usually I want to put a player on the pitch where they are comfortable to play, not where they are uncomfortable to play. If he has an idea of where he prefers to play I have to know, I want to know. I would be delighted to know his preferred position and I’ll put him in his preferred position for sure, no doubt.
“I am going to tell him: ‘Tell me, I am your manager, tell me where you want to play’. When I thought to put Pirlo as a holding midfielder I asked him: ‘Do you like to play there or not?’. ‘Yes’, he said to me, ‘I’d love to play there’ and so I put him there. If he wants to play number 10 or number nine I’ll put him at number 10 or number nine no problem. I can adapt the system.”

This smells like issue
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elunico: 1:43pm On Mar 13, 2021
Olulong:

Yeah. But the question now is what happens when Onana ban ends??

I believe the ban is for 2 years. It'd take something extraordinary for Onana to reclaim the spot. Remember, Maduka's improvement has been impressive. He's proving me wrong.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Eizzy003(m): 2:04pm On Mar 13, 2021
JayromWrites:

This smells like issue
To be sincere, I pray he doesn't have issue with his coach due to that comment
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by bengine: 2:19pm On Mar 13, 2021
TheSuperNerd:

Thank you Nerdy, very little to say after your exhaustive explanation to Rohr's reasoning.... B4 anyone advocate for any striker, tell us which one to drop and how they fit into the team pattern.

Ppl talking about not playing to Onauchus strength, not just a change of formation is required, a change of personnel is also required...

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 2:52pm On Mar 13, 2021
Subzero047:
Joelinton still plays in the premier league

Wow

Joelinton the 45 million fraud

I wonder which sane club will pay 45 million for a striker with just 7 league goals ,maybe because he is Brazilian

Joelinton won’t make super eagles squad If I am the coach
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 3:13pm On Mar 13, 2021
Eizzy003:

To be sincere, I pray he doesn't have issue with his coach due to that comment

He needs to put it out there, if he did not say this he may be relegated to RWB for the rest of his career
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 3:18pm On Mar 13, 2021
BREAKING: FIFA’s Veron Mosengo-Omba will be the new Secretary General of CAF.

He is expected to implement Gianni Infantino’s agenda of a 20-team Super League and changing the AFCON cycle to four (4) years.

Veron is a Swiss Citizen of Congolese heritage.

It will be the first time that CAF will be headed by a citizen of another continent since its inception.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by 12large1: 3:34pm On Mar 13, 2021
jihday:
BREAKING: FIFA’s Veron Mosengo-Omba will be the new Secretary General of CAF.

He is expected to implement Gianni Infantino’s agenda of a 20-team Super League and changing the AFCON cycle to four (4) years.

Veron is a Swiss Citizen of Congolese heritage.

It will be the first time that CAF will be headed by a citizen of another continent since its inception.

African leaders are just bunch of nincompoop. Imagine a forking European being the secretary of our organization. Now they will create a platform that's favorable to them bunch of mumu

7 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 3:49pm On Mar 13, 2021
12large1:

African leaders are just bunch of nincompoop. Imagine a forking European being the secretary of our organization. Now they will create a platform that's favorable to them bunch of mumu
It's very wrong
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 5:46pm On Mar 13, 2021
Iwobi starts for Everton, I don't know where he'll play but hopefully he puts in a big performance
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by JohnBullMySon: 6:28pm On Mar 13, 2021
12large1:

the guy is a black man na. by the way, who is bigger, president or general secretary?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 6:31pm On Mar 13, 2021
Iwobi playing in attacking midfield

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Tolulopefinest(m): 6:45pm On Mar 13, 2021
Onyekuru scores

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 6:46pm On Mar 13, 2021
Allan is looking very average without Doucoure
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Philosopher1979: 6:54pm On Mar 13, 2021
Tolulopefinest:
Onyekuru scores

In fact, he scored twice.
What must be done so that he transfers his form to a top 5 league.
What is missing in Onyekuru and what is the issue with him cutting it in a top 5 league.
Is it a lack of tactical knowledge or what?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Olulong(m): 6:54pm On Mar 13, 2021
Onyekuru brace.

9 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (10300) (10301) (10302) (10303) (10304) (10305) (10306) ... (16398) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: TheSuperNerd(m), gomol, TheGoodJoe(m) and 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.