Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,763 members, 7,875,921 topics. Date: Sunday, 30 June 2024 at 02:04 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (1082) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (12001816 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1079) (1080) (1081) (1082) (1083) (1084) (1085) ... (16398) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 7:09pm On Jun 08, 2017
ChrisKels:
This onyekuru's prospective move away from eupen is getting so tediously protracted. Now the whole thing is taking a different dimension and Arsenal seem to be on the back foot as West ham emerges the favourite because his advisors want regular playing time. I would have loved him a gunner but whatever option that makes him a better player with Russia 2018 lurking behind. I just hope he doesn't make the wrong move.

Kayode incures an injury in camp!!!
Now in the absence of Kayode who becomes the most second choice prolific striker in camp
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 7:10pm On Jun 08, 2017
safarigirl:
I actually am, kinda. I'm from Arochukwu in Abia state, my village and Annang are separated by a stream.

We speak Efik there.

only God knows how we manage to always argue
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 7:11pm On Jun 08, 2017
Joebie:
so you are a relationship expert now.. lol.. Anyway back to the Enyeama issue.. Rohr wants him. fans want him. Nff want him. But for some individuals in the NFF who are feigning ignorance to the issue, he will be back in the team.

NFF want him, but the same NFF are against him? undecided
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jotey(m): 7:13pm On Jun 08, 2017
Joebie:
Agbim. is he still playing? I don't think finding great goalkeepers is hard. If anyone want to argue about favoritism lets focus on the goalkeeping department in order to end the bad trend especially with these home/afro based keeprs.. Let's not distract ourselves with outfield players. Our goalkeeper coaches are very lazy. Why are they not scouting the NPFL and NNL?

oya let's invite agbim na

na joke o grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jotey(m): 7:14pm On Jun 08, 2017
Joebie:
if he use 3-4-3 nko.. many of our predictions will fail. MY lol

he CAN'T use 3-4-3
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 7:27pm On Jun 08, 2017
Madam ESE ah sight you ooo,
oya come out come contribute, ur line up, and cormation
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 7:33pm On Jun 08, 2017
Playing for Super Eagles, a dream come true

By Osita Duru

Ado Den Haag defender, Tyronne Ebuehi, has said his decision to play for Nigeria and not Holland will boost his promising career.

Right back Ebuehi has won two caps in friendlies against Corsica and Togo for his father’s native country and he is now in the frame to make his official debut against South Africa on Saturday in Uyo.

He also had the option to play for Holland, where his mother hails from and where he was born.

“The opportunity to play for Nigeria is a big step in my career. I am just 21 years old, I have just started,” he said in an interview with the official website of the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF).

“For sure, 100%, it was the best step to take.

“It’s something new being an international, something every player dreams of.

“I’m just blessed and really happy to be a part of the team.”

He further revealed that Eagles defender William Troost-Ekong, who could also have opted for Holland ahead of Nigeria, helped him to decide on his international career.

“William (Troost-Ekong) convinced me to come and play for Nigeria, he told me a lot of positives about the country and the team,” he revealed.

The young defender also expressed confidence that the Eagles will get off to a winning start in the qualifying tournament for AFCON 2019 against South Africa on Saturday in Uyo.

“We need to start strong and so we should win the game, We have all it takes to win the game against a good South Africa team. I have a good feeling about it.

http://www.thebreakingtimes.com/playing-for-super-eagles-a-dream-come-true/

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 7:34pm On Jun 08, 2017
safarigirl:
you may still be pining for me when we break up, but I could have a platonic relationship with you,which means i can come and visit.

Once I visit,the next thing is that you start getting ideas that maybe we still have something, just because I'm being nice to you

My analogy is right, you just don't understand the many intricacies of past relationships
Safarigirl this is not a man to woman relationship na. When it comes to things like this (particularly something that has been so integral to a man's life) men are so loyal to a point you might not understand. How many times has Messi hung his boot and returned despite the avowals not to, I think even Zidane came out of retirement to lead France to the finals of Germany 2006. Anything is possible. If the guy was wasted and if we had solid back ups for Ikeme no one would call for Enyeama. But look at us now, look at the goalkeeping position.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 7:37pm On Jun 08, 2017
Nigeria coach steps up the mind games and describes Bafana as "the best" in their Afcon group

www.nairaland.com/attachments/5466344_bafanabafana_jpeg86bdfe3f1069a911df4d3d77e3cd6fce

By Nick Said

Nigeria have been talking up the quality of South Africa ahead of their African Nations Cup qualifier in Uyo on Saturday‚ with German coach Gernot Rohr describing Bafana Bafana as “the best team in the group”.

Rohr has been with the team since August last year and despite having already led the side in qualifiers against Algeria and Zambia‚ and a friendly with Senegal in March‚ says this will be his toughest test yet.

“They are the strongest opponent I will face so far as [Super] Eagles coach because they have not lost a match over a long time‚” Rohr told reporters.

“I am also aware that they stopped Nigeria from getting to the Afcon in 2015‚ and that this match is very important to Nigeria.

“The game will be difficult. It will be a big challenge to beat the South Africans.

"It will be difficult with the young players that we have. Our captain‚ [John] Obi Mikel and our first choice goalkeeper [Carl Ikeme] are out of the match [with injury]‚” he added.

Aside from the valuable three points on offer in a bid to reach the 2019 Nations Cup in Cameroon‚ Rohr says they have a more personal reason for wanting to do well – to honour former coach Stephen Keshi‚ who passed away exactly a year ago today.

"We will dedicate our win over South Africa to Keshi to mark the one year of his death. The boys will play this game with all their might to ensure we get a win in memory of the former coach of Super Eagles‚" Rohr said.

"Keshi was a committed person as a player‚ I played against him in the French league while he was with Strasbourg. He was a good leader and good coach. We will play for him."

Meanwhile‚ Turkey based midfielder Ogenyi Onazi says he will be spurred on by the memory of the 2-2 draw in Uyo in 2014 that ended his side’s chances of going to the Nations Cup finals in Equatorial Guinea the following year.

“We remember that it was in this stadium that we missed the opportunity to play in Afcon 2015‚ when we drew with South Africa. It is still in our hearts‚ we have not forgotten it‚” the Trabzonspor star said.

“Though it is not a grudge match‚ we are approaching it with all seriousness. We expect to win the game. It is not going to be a do-or-die affair‚ but we are here to make up for the past.” - TMG Digital/TMG Sport

http://www.sowetanlive.co.za/sport/soccer/2017/06/07/nigeria-coach-steps-up-the-mind-games-and-describes-bafana-as-the-best-in-their-afcon-group

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 7:41pm On Jun 08, 2017
Nigerian-Born Winger Who Played On Same Team As Arsenal's Iwobi Wanted By Premier League side Watford

Premier League side Watford are being linked with a move for Nigerian-born winger Fred Onyedinma, according to reports from England.

Onyedinma will walk away from newly promoted Championship side Millwall as a free agent at the end of this month if he doesn't append his signature to the new deal that he has been offered.

Apart from the interest from the Hornets, Hertfordshire Mercury says the 20-year-old is also on the radar of Queens Park Rangers, Brentford and Hull City.

The highly-rated starlet has been on the books of Millwall since the age of 12, though he spent a portion of the 2014-2015 season on loan at Wycombe Wanderers.

Onyedinma played on the same team, Blackheath district, as Arsenal winger Alex Iwobi before he was spotted by a Millwall scout.

Igho Kingsley

http://allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=23332

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 7:43pm On Jun 08, 2017
komekn:

It is better to be in the top team in a supposed lesser league than the in the relegation facing bottom team in a higher league.

If Wolfsburg were to play Austrian Wien what do you think the result will be.

So on what basis can Osimhen be considered above Kayode. Drills by Rohr or past glories or maybe more time spent on the bench.

A fully fit Kayode top goal scorer verses a confirmed bench warmer recovering from Injury with just 45 minutes of football over a whole season.

The comparison makes a mockery of common sense.

.. shocked grin u mean common sense I no common. grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 7:43pm On Jun 08, 2017
Nigeria/South Africa: Ndidi - We Will Give All We Have Against South Africa

Bafana Bafana (file photo).

Leicester City forward Wilfred Ndidi, who played a crucial role in Nigeria's triumph against Togo on Thursday, has said the Super Eagles will give their all to come out victorious against the Bafana Bafana of South Africa in a 2019 Africa Cup of Nations qualifier on Saturday.

He will be among the squad to face South Africa in Africa Cup of Nations qualifier in Uyo on June 10.

The Super Eagles will be hoping for a winning start in their quest to book a ticket for Cameroon 2019, after missing the last edition staged in Gabon.

Speaking with Brila FM, Ndidi has revealed that he expects a good game on the 10th, as the players will give all they have. Ndidi also highlighted the match as must win, as he wants the team to do everything in order to emerge victorious.

Kelechi Iheanacho alongside Arsenal young sensation Alex Iwobi, Kenneth Omeruo, Elderson Echiejile, Ogenyi Onazi, Simon Moses, Leon Balogun and Arsenal target Henry Onyekuru are all set to be in action.

Zamalek defender Maroof Youssef was handed a surprise call-up with Dele Alampasu getting the nod owing to Carl Ikeme's injury.

Nigeria will face Bafana Bafana of South Africa at Godswill Akpabio Stadium in Uyo on Saturday.

http://allafrica.com/stories/201706070971.html

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 7:44pm On Jun 08, 2017
Icon4s:
TheGoodJoe, I know you like promoting youth a lot but you must also understand that the transition of a team should always be gradual especially when the team is already achieving results.

The new/ younger players would be introduced into the team but it would be a gradual process. The team is already a young one with Echiejile being the oldest among the likely to start 10 outfield players. Just check this out: Echiejile (29), Ekong (23), Omeruo (23), Shehu (24), Ndidi (20), Onazi (24), Musa (24), Etebo(21), Iwobi(21), Iheanacho (20). This puts the average at about 21-22. Which is pretty very young by any standards.

You can even talk of younger subs like: Awaziem (20), Onyekuru(20), Osimhen (18), Ebuehi(21), Alhassan Ibrahim (20), Dele Alampasu (20).
Kayode and Agu are still less than 24. John Ogu like Echiejile is 29.
The coach is clearing grooming these younger ones to compete with and possibly take over from the older 'young' ones. There time will come

Oga I laughed when I saw the ages of Musa, Onazi and Omeruo, even Etebo. I couldn't help laughing.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 7:48pm On Jun 08, 2017
Orkpekyandega:
Nigeria coach steps up the mind games and describes Bafana as "the best" in their Afcon group

www.nairaland.com/attachments/5466344_bafanabafana_jpeg86bdfe3f1069a911df4d3d77e3cd6fce

http://www.sowetanlive.co.za/sport/soccer/2017/06/07/nigeria-coach-steps-up-the-mind-games-and-describes-bafana-as-the-best-in-their-afcon-group

ya make Dem feel big , praise them vo highest, then hit Dem harder to send them crashing down

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 7:50pm On Jun 08, 2017
Mujtahida:

Safarigirl this is not a man to woman relationship na. When it comes to things like this (particularly something that has been so integral to a man's life) men are so loyal to a point you might not understand. How many times has Messi hung his boot and returned despite the avowals not to, I think even Zidane came out of retirement to lead France to the finals of Germany 2006. Anything is possible. If the guy was wasted and if we had solid back ups for Ikeme no one would call for Enyeama. But look at us now, look at the goalkeeping position.
Messi is a perennial loser who only returns to the Argentine team because his desire to win a major tournament for his nation far outweighs his affinity for being a sore loser.

Do not compare an AFCON champion to that fellow biko
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Napoleon55(m): 8:01pm On Jun 08, 2017
My prediction,
NIGERIA 3 - 0 SOUTH AFRICA.
one goal in the first half ,two goals in d second half. Or vise versa.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by oloriooko(m): 8:03pm On Jun 08, 2017
U20 semis
Italy 1 Eng 3
Eng goals by Lookman and Solanke

Urg 1 Ven 1 (4-5 pen)

Final between Eng & Ven

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 8:04pm On Jun 08, 2017
safarigirl:
Messi is a perennial loser who only returns to the Argentine team because his desire to win a major tournament for his nation far outweighs his affinity for being a sore loser.

As always when I mention names it is to illustrate a principle or buttress my point and the point here is that on such matters men are loyal to a fault. So discard Messi. Eto'o also retired and came back.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 8:09pm On Jun 08, 2017
Mujtahida:

As always when I mention names it is to illustrate a principle or buttress my point and the point here is that on such matters men are loyal to a fault. So discard Messi. Eto'o also retired and came back.
time will tell, not so?

BTW, I don't like this idea of monkey working and baboon chopping. Anybody that wants to share in a glory should be ready to start from the beginning of the struggle.

I don't think I could ever consciously participate in something I didn't help build

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 8:18pm On Jun 08, 2017
safarigirl:
time will tell, not so?

BTW, I don't like this idea of monkey working and baboon chopping. Anybody that wants to share in a glory should be ready to start from the beginning of the struggle.

I don't think I could ever consciously participate in something I didn't help build
You are right about the monkey dey work baboon dey work thing. I don't want it too and issues relating to the captaincy might cause disquiet and unsettle the prized harmony we have in the team. It just a wish in my heart sha.

Like you said Time;It sorts out a lot of things and puts the seal of reality on our wishes, hopes and desires.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:23pm On Jun 08, 2017
ChrisKels:

Remember I said pushing forward when needed? But Sir, if Onazi can't shield, then he should give way for better shields(Agu my pick) because we can't afford to miss those attempts from Ndidi just because we wanna accommodate a certain Onazi. I read Agu doesn't join attacks more often unlike Onazi and he never jokes with his defensive responsibilities too. I had to check on his clips and I saw exactly what I earlier read. He displayed it against Corsica and Togo, he passes better and he's tidy with his tackles, hence, doesn't accumulate cards. He doesn't take no prisoners, same with Onazi though. He even had a better stat than Onazi this past season. He was second to no other Nigerian DMF than Ndidi, in Europe this past season.

Lots of impressive insights in your post. However, it seems Rohr considers Onazi an asset and if Rohr goes with Onazi then Ndidi has a big role to play in instilling discipline in that midfield.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 8:25pm On Jun 08, 2017
Humility017:

one will easily guess right on which path you'll belong in a debate like this especially when players like kayode are being discussed.

Really! shocked Sorry, you can't use this cheap blackmail to stop me from expressing myself. grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by kingphilip(m): 8:32pm On Jun 08, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

I think Enyeama made his break through with Shorunmu as the keeper trainer. Ejide was also in fine form under Shorunmu. Agbim had the reflexes but his positioning was awful.
please who was our first choice in Korea/Japan

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 8:48pm On Jun 08, 2017
safarigirl:

chaiii that's y am in love with you, you don't like mincing words
Kai walai ah trowey 1000 kiss for you........ Catch am oooo cool cool
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 8:48pm On Jun 08, 2017
safarigirl:
Ngwa people are short and look like ikpeazu, Arochukwu men are so much better looking grin

Besides, I have never met one reasonable Ngwa person and I have met more than enough. Only Ngwa people have nice things to say about Ngwa people

History remembers Arochukwu as renowned slave traders and the most formidable opponents the British encountered in the East, nothing much on Ngwa people aside cannibalism.

Now that you know, I suppose we can return to the football.

Ngwas aren't short, dark skinned and ugly as you have described. It is a very wrong misconception that I can't just swallow it down my throat or pretend not t, see it.

Ngwas are the most reasonable and most hospitable set of people across the Niger. That is why an Nwaga dashed people lands to develop their city. Forget about the marginalization that brought ruins to their city, education, business etc

There are many things to say about the Ngwas. They have turned Aba to a city known for large scales productions of shoes, bags, belts, suits, etc mention it.

Now that you know, I suppose we return back to discussing football. cool

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 8:49pm On Jun 08, 2017
kingphilip:

SHORUNMU
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 8:54pm On Jun 08, 2017
Icon4s:

I am one.

Chinekemeeee! shocked shocked angry
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:54pm On Jun 08, 2017
kingphilip:

Point?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by kingphilip(m): 8:58pm On Jun 08, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

Point?
I was thinking Enyeama had his breakthrough in that world Cup in the third match against England while Shorunmu was the first choice

From your post I quoted you said Enyeama had his breakthrough when Shorunmu was trainer so I wanted to be sure if I haven't mistaken the first choice in Korea/Japan 2002
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by kingphilip(m): 8:59pm On Jun 08, 2017
do4luv14:

SHORUNMU
thanks boss
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 9:00pm On Jun 08, 2017
jotey:
solanke scores for England

Chai! grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:02pm On Jun 08, 2017
kingphilip:
I was thinking Enyeama had his breakthrough in that world Cup in the third match against England while Shorunmu was the first choice

From your post I quoted you said Enyeama had his breakthrough when Shorunmu was trainer so I wanted to be sure if I haven't mistaken the first choice in Korea/Japan 2002

First note "I think". Secondly, I am not talking about debut but commanding performance. Still vague in my head and additions are gladly accepted. Too tired to dig.

Thanks.

(1) (2) (3) ... (1079) (1080) (1081) (1082) (1083) (1084) (1085) ... (16398) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.