Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,775 members, 7,875,932 topics. Date: Sunday, 30 June 2024 at 02:54 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (1143) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (12002476 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1140) (1141) (1142) (1143) (1144) (1145) (1146) ... (16398) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 3:31pm On Jun 17, 2017
Leicester City Fail With First Bid For Man City Iheanacho, Talks With West Ham Stalls

Owngoalnigeria.com have been reliably informed that Leicester City have failed with their first bid for Manchester City out of favour striker Kelechi Iheanacho.

Leicester City are now the bookies favourite to land the 20 year old Nigerian forward after talks with West Ham broke down over the fee that will be inserted in his buy back clause.

The Foxes tried their luck for the forward who they view as a potential replacement for want away star Riyad Mahrez with a bid around the 20 miilion pounds mark, with add ons which will take the fee close to Manchester City valuation.

Their bid was turned down by the Etihad based outfit who are looking for a fee in the region of £24m for the prolific forward who still has four years to run on his deal with the club.

Man City are yet to comment on his future but as exclusively reported by Owngoalnigeria.com, Iheanacho has been told by manager Pep Guardiola that he will only be sold if the club are able to sign a replacement.

**Daniel Martins

Source: http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/06/17/leicester-city-fail-with-first-bid-for-man-city-iheanacho-talks-with-west-ham-stalls/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 4:11pm On Jun 17, 2017
Mickael2:

I know you hate Omeruo but let's try to be reasonable here. Awaziem better than Omeruo in aerial duels? Come on bro, isn't it Awaziem's lack of aerial awareness that led to the goal on Saturday? or you think aerial ability is just to jump up and head, it also includes your positioning to actually head the ball and if you think Awaziem is better in that aspect then you just need to ask yourself the last time we conceded a headed goal with Omeruo in the team.
how about the assist omeruo gave....the Zambian in Ndola...?
was that not an aerial ball
I don't hate omeruo....but everyone is making it look....as if omeruo playing that day would have make any difference....
same omeruo that gave rantie an assist few years ago and same RSA played same pattern they played few days ago
no difference...
I don't hate omeruo....but the truth be told...his inclusion on that day won't have make any difference.....

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 4:28pm On Jun 17, 2017
komekn:

I would like to see what objective indices were used to pick a player who has played only 45 minutes of football all season in bottom relegation threatened Bundesliga club and who is recovering from Injury.

My man I thought u w pick on Awaziem a Porto B team player finding his way to national team and even make starting line up or what do u think coz Osiemeh case is debatable.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by PDPGuy: 5:03pm On Jun 17, 2017
IFAB will consider scrapping 45-minute halves during their next meeting
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 5:04pm On Jun 17, 2017
Humility017:

I don't hate omeruo....but everyone is making it look....as if omeruo playing that day would have make any difference....
same omeruo that gave rantie an assist few years ago and same RSA played same pattern they played few days ago
no difference...
I don't hate omeruo....but the truth be told...his inclusion on that day won't have make any difference.....
Pls give little respect to Omeruo,honestly after re watching two two draw with South Africa,i said to myself was it not d same Omeruo of 2013.I watched him keenly against Zambia and i discovered psychologically d guy hasn't got over it coz apart from that blunder,he had a very good game even than Ekong,honestly with those blunders,no coach w put Omeruo in CB except a coach who can work on him psychologically.

As i said Omeruo deserves little respect coz comparing Awaziem with him is absurd,for God sake if we want to drop Omeruo,not for player like Awaziem,that's just d fact coz d guy bring nothing to table to justify his inclusion.

Rohr goofed big time and he need to be upright in his tactical approach.Remember Uche Agbo was dropped from d camp but later recalled and Ogu later played as CB in camp and Ogu was in superb form even as CB but rookie Awaziem who lack d talent of Iheanacho or Osimeh made d team but Ogu who can give us options either in d midfield or defence was not in d squad and three DM made d match day squad.

If Rohr was not comfortable with Omeruo,Agbo,why not use Ndidi who can also,play as CB,why not makeshift just like Ndidi played as RB against Zambia,though not perfect in that match but after watched Zambia match again i discovered that Ndidi did normal thing as a defender,clearing,go for aerial ball.Ndidi as CB against South Africa,d first goal would have been avoided coz such cross w never beat him but Awaziem oh too amateurish in his game..
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by signz: 5:10pm On Jun 17, 2017
TheSuperNerd:
He is a goalkeeper.... Plays for HNK Rijeka of Croatia. Was on loan this past season to Vitez of Bosnia where he was no 1 throughout. David Nwokolor is a very good prospect.

latest news have it that he may be Rijeka's no.1 ahead of the new season... but Let's see how pre-season goes.

Why in Bleep sake did we not invite him?

Thanks by the way
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 5:40pm On Jun 17, 2017
TheSuperNerd:
Leicester City Fail With First Bid For Man City Iheanacho, Talks With West Ham Stalls

Owngoalnigeria.com have been reliably informed that Leicester City have failed with their first bid for Manchester City out of favour striker Kelechi Iheanacho.

Leicester City are now the bookies favourite to land the 20 year old Nigerian forward after talks with West Ham broke down over the fee that will be inserted in his buy back clause.

The Foxes tried their luck for the forward who they view as a potential replacement for want away star Riyad Mahrez with a bid around the 20 miilion pounds mark, with add ons which will take the fee close to Manchester City valuation.

Their bid was turned down by the Etihad based outfit who are looking for a fee in the region of £24m for the prolific forward who still has four years to run on his deal with the club.

Man City are yet to comment on his future but as exclusively reported by Owngoalnigeria.com, Iheanacho has been told by manager Pep Guardiola that he will only be sold if the club are able to sign a replacement.

**Daniel Martins

Source: http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/06/17/leicester-city-fail-with-first-bid-for-man-city-iheanacho-talks-with-west-ham-stalls/
what's nacho business if the cocky coach is unable to get replacement?
is nacho now city's scout or club director?
these coach is seriously looking for who to tie down and waste his talent...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 5:48pm On Jun 17, 2017
Kog45:
Pls give little respect to Omeruo,honestly after re watching two two draw with South Africa,i said to myself was it not d same Omeruo of 2013.I watched him keenly against Zambia and i discovered psychologically d guy hasn't got over it coz apart from that blunder,he had a very good game even than Ekong,honestly with those blunders,no coach w put Omeruo in CB except a coach who can work on him psychologically.

As i said Omeruo deserves little respect coz comparing Awaziem with him is absurd,for God sake if we want to drop Omeruo,not for player like Awaziem,that's just d fact coz d guy bring nothing to table to justify his inclusion.

Rohr goofed big time and he need to be upright in his tactical approach.Remember Uche Agbo was dropped from d camp but later recalled and Ogu later played as CB in camp and Ogu was in superb form even as CB but rookie Awaziem who lack d talent of Iheanacho or Osimeh made d team but Ogu who can give us options either in d midfield or defence was not in d squad and three DM made d match day squad.

If Rohr was not comfortable with Omeruo,Agbo,why not use Ndidi who can also,play as CB,why not makeshift just like Ndidi played as RB against Zambia,though not perfect in that match but after watched Zambia match again i discovered that Ndidi did normal thing as a defender,clearing,go for aerial ball.Ndidi as CB against South Africa,d first goal would have been avoided coz such cross w never beat him but Awaziem oh too amateurish in his game..

of course I respect omeruo....I remember he was my favorite CB during and prior 2014 world cup...
his problem lies...in his inability to see beyond his nose....why keep going out on loans every season....
can't he choose to go for outright sale....
to be honest these constant loan spells are not helping his career.... he needs to settle somewhere... and grow to the player he wants to be. he was one dude that came to limelight so early....by now he should have rose to pinnacle of his career....

but on rohr...parts@ I agree wit you...rohr was carried away wit the victory against Togo... he thought both awaziem and troost can well do the job....likewise me...I was carried away too
though awaziem never flopped all our players performed below par that day

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 6:08pm On Jun 17, 2017
Icon4s:

Haha haha.

Seems the only Eagles he credits is his 1980 winning class.

Ask him to pick 5 best Nigerian players ever and 4 will come from his set.

He said Akpeyi is the worst Eagles goalie ever. He forgot there was one Chigozie Agbim. Hahahaha.
Pls pls don't get Segun Odegbami wrong,he was able to analysed d match in his best way just like any normal football pundits and what he said or raise was factual and u(Icon4)have said d same thing here,d team need mixture of experience and young ones who are in form!simple.

On Odegbami naming his old eagles as d best,well go and watch eagles of 1980 and compare and contrast with different generations of Eagles,then u w agree with him.

I had d opportunity of watching different generations of eagles and i can tell u i w pick Odegbami over Finidi George anytime anyday,a winger just like modern day Christian Ronaldo.Remember Segun Odegbami had 23 goals in 46 appearances for Eagles,just to tell u how good big Segun was in Eagles shirt.

Do u remember Adokiye Aimesimeaka,very good winger better than Emma Amuneke,pls go and watch d video clips of Adokiye,this guy pushed Felix Owolabi back to left full back position just to tell u how good was Adokiye.

Christian Chuckwu one of d best CB to come out of Africa,very reliable and dependable,only Keshi can compete with this man or may be Uche Okechuckwu.

Hope u know Mudashiru Lawal,a great midfielder that went to 76,78,80,82,84 Afcon,only Olishe cam compete with this man.

Henry Nwosu a great archon and creative midfielder that i w rate only Okocha ahead of him,pls go and watch Henry Nwosu at maroc 88.He made d star studded 1980 nations cup as a teenager.

This team should have been d first to qualify Nigeria for world cup in 1978 but Odiye denied us by scoring an own goal(d first golden generation of Super eagles 1976-1982)

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 6:11pm On Jun 17, 2017
Icon4s:

Haha haha.

Seems the only Eagles he credits is his 1980 winning class.

Ask him to pick 5 best Nigerian players ever and 4 will come from his set.

He said Akpeyi is the worst Eagles goalie ever. He forgot there was one Chigozie Agbim. Hahahaha.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 6:12pm On Jun 17, 2017
komekn:

I would like to see what objective indices were used to pick a player who has played only 45 minutes of football all season in bottom relegation threatened Bundesliga club and who is recovering from Injury.

Seconded.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Oasis007(m): 6:13pm On Jun 17, 2017
Huge Respect to the above Post by Kog45

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 6:34pm On Jun 17, 2017
Kog45:
My man I thought u w pick on Awaziem a Porto B team player finding his way to national team and even make starting line up or what do u think coz Osiemeh case is debatable.

I haven't watched Awaziem however, I listened to the comments on this forum about him. I didnt have anything to contend with those very positive comments.

I further believed Porto being a top European club his opportunities may be limited. Furthermore he had played a few games for the first team and was a regular in the B reserve team.

So potentially looked like he might have something to offer. It seems i was wrong from all the comments so far.

Cameroon will be playing Chile in confederation cup tomorrow it will be good to see how are upcoming opponents have progressed. And indeed if they are even much better than us.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 6:48pm On Jun 17, 2017
Kog45:
Pls pls don't get Segun Odegbami wrong,he was able to analysed d match in his best way just like any normal football pundits and what he said or raise was factual and u(Icon4)have said d same thing here,d team need mixture of experience and young ones who are in form!simple.

On Odegbami naming his old eagles as d best,well go and watch eagles of 1980 and compare and contrast with different generations of Eagles,then u w agree with him.

I had d opportunity of watching different generations of eagles and i can tell u i w pick Odegbami over Finidi George anytime anyday,a winger just like modern day Christian Ronaldo.Remember Segun Odegbami had 28 goals in 42 appearances for Eagles,just to tell u how good big Segun was in Eagles shirt.

Do u remember Adokiye Aimesimeaka,very good winger better than Emma Amuneke,pls go and watch d video clips of Adokiye,this guy pushed Felix Owolabi back to left full back position just to tell u how good was Adokiye.

Christian Chuckwu one of d best CB to come out of Africa,very reliable and dependable,only Keshi can compete with this man or may be Uche Okechuckwu.

Did u know Mudashiru Lawal,a great midfielder that went to 76,78,80,82,84 Afcon,only Olishe cam compete with this man.

Henry Nwosu a great archon and creative midfielder that i w rate only Okocha ahead of him,pls go and watch Henry Nwosu at maroc 88.He made d star studded 1980 nations cup as a teenager.

This team should have been d first to qualify Nigeria for world cup in 1978 but Odiye denied us by scoring an own goal(d first golden generation of Super eagles 1976-1982)

I am not faulting Odegbami's analysis of the SA game.

I was only elaborating on what someone said about his choice of Nigeria's best players.

I may not have followed the 1980 AFCON but o have memories (though faint) of the end of Odegbami's generation. IE 1982 WC qualifiers and 1982 AFCON. Even though most of the memories were re-televised matches I watched in the mid 80s.

If I want to make a list of Nigeria's top players ever from that era I will only consider Odegbami and Chukwu.

The 1994 Class had better quality.

Odegbami and his mates that could not qualify Nigeria for any world cup? Then playing teams like Tunisia, Algeria and Egypt was like Arsenal playing Barça or Bayern. Pessin go almost piss for body.

I have a 90mins video of that Nigeria '80 AFCON final. The standards displayed by the Nigerian players was nothing compared to the 94 Class.

You cannot tell me Adokiye was better than Amuneke. Amuneke from 1994 to 1996/97 was about the most deadly left winger in the world!

I know those guys played good football then. Apart from the popular ones like Odegbami, Okala brothers, Chukwu, Adokiye, Muda Lawal, Ogedengbe, Silvanus Okpala, I still recall some Like Okey Esima, Tunde Bamidele, Haruna Elerika and so on.

But I think they (Odegbami and Co) are over exaggerating their abilities . They are not much better than the Maroc '88 team IMO that had Stephen Keshi, Austin Eguavoen, Sunday Oboigbe, Ademola Adeshina, Henry Nwosu, Samuel Okwaraji, Rashidi Yekini, Wole Odegbami, Monday Odiaka, Bright Omokaro,Mike Onyemachara, Peter Rufai, and Co.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 7:51pm On Jun 17, 2017
Icon4s:

I am not faulting Odegbami's analysis of the SA game.

I was only elaborating on what someone said about his choice of Nigeria's best players.

I may not have followed the 1980 AFCON but o have memories (though faint) of the end of Odegbami's generation. IE 1982 WC qualifiers and 1982 AFCON. Even though most of the memories were re-televised matches I watched in the mid 80s.

If I want to make a list of Nigeria's top players ever from that era I will only consider Odegbami and Chukwu.

The 1994 Class had better quality.

Odegbami and his mates that could not qualify Nigeria for any world cup? Then playing teams like Tunisia, Algeria and Egypt was like Arsenal playing Barça or Bayern. Pessin go almost piss for body.

I have a 90mins video of that Nigeria '80 AFCON final. The standards displayed by the Nigerian players was nothing compared to the 94 Class.

You cannot tell me Adokiye was better than Amuneke. Amuneke from 1994 to 1996/97 was about the most deadly left winger in the world!

I know those guys played good football then. Apart from the popular ones like Odegbami, Okala brothers, Chukwu, Adokiye, Muda Lawal, Ogedengbe, Silvanus Okpala, I still recall some Like Okey Esima, Tunde Bamidele, Haruna Elerika and so on.

But I think they (Odegbami and Co) are over exaggerating their abilities . They are not much better than the Maroc '88 team IMO that had Stephen Keshi, Austin Eguavoen, Sunday Oboigbe, Ademola Adeshina, Henry Nwosu, Samuel Okwaraji, Rashidi Yekini, Wole Odegbami, Monday Odiaka, Bright Omokaro, Peter Rufai, and Co.

My man am not saying they are better but d likes of Odegbami,Chuckwu,muda Lawal,Adokiye and probably Henry Nwosu w break into Eagles US 94 squad.

Mind u not qualify for world cup should not be your yardstick,this team closely make it and remember then to qualify for world cup in Africa was tougher and it even takes two team to make it.

Nigeria was able to make it for d first time in US 94 when there was added slot for Africa.In d 80s it was Cameroon,Morocco,Algeria,Tunisia,Egypt making swayed.

Oh 1980 standard to 1994 standard would just be like comparing 1982 world cup standard to 1994 standard but player like Paulo Rossi of Italy w make any team of US 94 or what do u want to say of Dino Zoff of famous 1982 world cup or what do u have to say about great Pele who is still regarded as d best player ever despite playing in 60s

Remember till today Netherlands still rate Johan Cryuff leading team of 1978 world cup as d best till today in Holland history.What of England that are still rating 1966 world cup team as d best,pls can u compare d standard with England 1990 semi finalist.

1980 nations cup was a strong squad than 1988 maroc team,wole Odegbami,Folorunsho Okenla,Sunday Eboigbe,Ndubuisi Okosieme can not make 80 nations cup squad.

Pls forget the modern day rating,Adokiye w bench Emma Amuneke anytime anyway.I told u Adokiye displaced great Owolabi from that position,just to tell u how highly rated Adokiye was at that time.Pls tell me a player Amuneke was benching at that time,Victor Ikpeba abi but Ikpeba cannot make 1980 squad.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 8:09pm On Jun 17, 2017
Humility017:

no difference...

oga the goal against Zambia was a grounder, that's a cross that was on the ground, nowhere close to an aerial ball na, fear God. with Omeruo we wouldn't have conceded that first goal at least and Omeruo is a great defensive leader. he is outspoken unlike Troost. So Ramos has never had a bad day before?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 8:35pm On Jun 17, 2017
Kog45:
My man am not saying they are better but d likes of Odegbami,Chuckwu,muda Lawal,Adokiye and probably Henry Nwosu w break into Eagles US 94 squad.

Mind u not qualify for world cup should not be your yardstick,this team closely make it and remember then to qualify for world cup in Africa was tougher and it even takes two team to make it.

Nigeria was able to make it for d first time in US 94 when there was added slot for Africa.In d 80s it was Cameroon,Morocco,Algeria,Tunisia,Egypt making swayed.

Oh 1980 standard to 1994 standard would just be like comparing 1982 world cup standard to 1994 standard but player like Paulo Rossi of Italy w make any team of US 94 or what do u want to say of Dino Zoff of famous 1982 world cup or what do u have to say about great Pele who is still regarded as d best player ever despite playing in 60s

Remember till today Netherlands still rate Johan Cryuff leading team of 1978 world cup as d best till today in Holland history.What of England that are still rating 1966 world cup team as d best,pls can u compare d standard with England 1990 semi finalist.

1980 nations cup was a strong squad than 1988 maroc team,wole Odegbami,Folorunsho Okenla,Sunday Eboigbe,Ndubuisi Okosieme can not make 80 nations cup squad.

Pls forget the modern day rating,Adokiye w bench Emma Amuneke anytime anyway.I told u Adokiye displaced great Owolabi from that position,just to tell u how highly rated Adokiye was at that time.Pls tell me a player Amuneke was benching at that time,Victor Ikpeba abi but Ikpeba cannot make 1980 squad.

@ your first paragraph. That's why I said I can only consider Odegbami and Chukwu among Nigeria's top 10 best.

I know Felix Owolabi(aka Owoblow) Wella. Growing up way back some of us used to take his identity on the field of play. Particularly wingers.

Adokiye was good as a winger but I still rate Emmanuel Amuneke ahead of him.

Amuneke that was so lethal that his every move was electrical and would always create panic in the opposing defense. Created and scored lots of important goals for Nigeria even with his short stink in the national team owing to injuries. To play for Barcelona FC no be beans o.

He and Finidi were rated among the best Wingers in the world then (though no official ratings)

Talking about WC slots. Even if there was only one slot available for Africa in that 1994 we would have taken it. Gba bee.

Muda Lawal was a midfielder then right? Can't remember. But if he was, compare him with the likes of Oliseh and Okocha.

The 94 team erased the numerous heart aches we had in the 1980s.

O I remember one clip I saw of the qualifiers for the 1978 WC. Tunisia Vs Nigerian. A Tunisian player called 'Hagger'. We lost that game either 3-0 or 3-1 after losing the first leg 0-1 in Nigeria.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AIG07: 8:59pm On Jun 17, 2017
Hmmmm...
Chai...
*The Arch Guardians of Experience have taken over this thread*

I salute you o Sir Kog45. You mean se you follow Naija's first golden generation (the mid 70s-mid80s) team. Daju daju you belong to top quarters of this great house.

Most of the names you put up there na from my Pop man and Austin Milado's song I heard them.

But on a more serious note, I think the NFF should create, have and run documentaries of Nigeria football since inception. Put them on youtubes, play them on NTA sports channels(instead of all this olympic reshow those one de show) and other stations. This will help us alot. Tell us where we were coming from, the huge sacrifice some have made to reach where we are and lots more.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jerryclinton: 9:15pm On Jun 17, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

I agree. At the end it falls back to set up we plan to approach the game and screening for the best. From the keeper, backline to offence.

And please can someone sack Alloy Agu. It seems the man is not serious with his job. Get a coach who can invite the best crop of keepers to camp and screen out the best two to cover for Ikeme.

We should not interest ourselves with names or history but the best for the job.

Thanks for your insightful contributions. Really well thought. Also props to Humility017.
It still baffles me how Alloy Agu remains our goalkeeper trainer. He himself and Ike Shorumnu were not very good keepers you can easily recall their exploits when they played for super eagles. To me they were average and at times fringe keepers. Why is Peter Rufai never our goalkeeper trainer?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 9:16pm On Jun 17, 2017
Mickael2:

oga the goal against Zambia was a grounder, that's a cross that was on the ground, nowhere close to an aerial ball na, fear God. with Omeruo we wouldn't have conceded that first goal at least and Omeruo is a great defensive leader. he is outspoken unlike Troost. So Ramos has never had a bad day before?

then...if you know Ramos too do have bad days...then awaziem shouldn't be left out...
the dude too had a bad day.
omeruo playing in that match won't have prevented the SA from winning the eagles that day...
someone like Mikel and V.Moses presence would have made the difference not playing omeruo
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 9:23pm On Jun 17, 2017
TheSuperNerd:
Just as I predicted.... the thread went into a bashing tone just because of one loss.... cheesy

I could easily predict who will bash who.... wink

Sir TheGoodJoe... thank you for your invaluable analyses. You tried to be objective and you were to a great extent.... but when it came to Akpeyi. Lemme say this.... That guy is a nightmare... yeah... but he is better than an Agbim at least. "Slightly Better"... lol. That first goal have beaten a good number goalies I know and have seen on TV in top leagues. Besides... there is the saying that a "Header on target is 9 out of 10 times a goal".... that saying was back in the days when I was a junior forward in secondary school. I just recoined it... wink

And On Awaziem... wow! I remember being among the first to say His partnership with Ekong will likely feature against South Africa. I said so after the Togo game.... honestly when I saw him in the line-up, Initially I was happy... lad is good quality no doubt. But well... the occasion was too much for him and yes he had a game he wouldn't wanna remember but I wouldn't blame him entirely. Our Midfield was the problem >>>>> MIGHTY TRUTH... IF NO ONE HAMMERS ON THIS, THEN THAT PERSON IS TALKING ABSOLUTE TRASH.

I remember when I dropped a post here warning that that game will be lost and won in the midfield. I listed Furman and even a Zungu as men to be wary of but also said if our midfield three of Onazi, Ndidi and Etebo clicks.. then it would not be an issue. But On Saturday I saw The New Revelation of St. Eagles....

It seems Onazi and Ndidi cannot play together... On paper that midfield three looks really good and solid... but when played out... what did we see?? too many overhit passes to the forward line especially the center forward line... Iheanacho suffered Majorly from poor service and too many over hit passes and through balls... Up to about four or five times in that first half, My Goodness, Had it been Mikel or lemme say An Ajagun (WHERE IS FORGIVENESS?? He hasn't even taken advantage to make case for Ajagun since Etebo as a 10 just didn't click...), Iheanacho would have gotten those balls well hit to him and he will do the rest... and wreck those Southies.... but it was not to be..... Even a few minds who saw the game with me were always asking "Plsss, who is the person in that midfield hitting these rockets to outer space when the no.9 is just there and have opened up??" smh...

... But Hey Iheanacho also didn't have a great game.. he was simply below par but ofcos the best Eagles Chance of the first half was created by Him... Etebo flunked it!!! if Nacho had missed that we will be seeing new tones from the prosecuting attorney of Sir Goldfish80 and Sir Mickael2 pointing it out with the "I told you so" and "Nacho is not top quality" sticks.... loollll

Well... they both have been doing a good job of it lately. Kudos to their "Attorneyship" grin

It is amazing how Iheanacho became the center of the blame here when the midfield was the Eagles' problem all game!!! All the players were poor.... most especially all the midfielders.... Onazi (love him when he tries to make amends but in doing so some times, he ends up scattering our midfield organization), Ndidi (my favorite MF in the team after Mikel... lad was all over the place and no where at all... lol), and Etebo (our beloved workhorse.... was just confused as the guys watching and wondering who the hell is hitting those poor balls from the CMF/AMF positions to Kentucky when Nacho was in Baltimore) were all poor....... buuuutttt Simon Moses gave me the best response I expected from the other players when we went one nil down.

Simon moses showcased the fight and hunger in him with his daring plays...... but ofcos his end product is still lacking but at least we saw the fight in the lad.

I didn't see this fight in Iheanacho.... sorry... I Love him but he should have taken the bull by the horn also... seeing how scattered our midfielders were... Nacho should have talked to Etebo and Onazi (captain on the day and one of two most experienced players on the field that day)..... boned the tactics that were not working and simply taken matters into his hands... Like Dropping deep and allowing Etebo take up advanced positions upfront while he Nacho under chameleon effect takes over the No.10 role... he is still good at that (the no 10 role) God Dammit!!!!! angry

That way Ndidi and Onazi will adjust and Maybe.. just maybe we would have salvaged a draw.... who knows?

NOW THIS IS ME TALKING FROM A PERSONAL ANALYTICAL STANDPOINT... BUT STILL, HE IS NOT TO BLAME... His primary duty as the no.9 was well defined and he stuck to it... but the passes from midfield were always Overhit and "overcooked" (Mind if I borrow that word Sir BascoVanVeli... thank you wink )

So in all.... I could go on and on.... But let me commend Sir Joebie for trying to bring back that science of the game talk.... gosh! our team really needs to be looked at and let us decide on the one formation that suits us... and the players best for that formation... Even if it means Iheanacho benches... then so be it mehn! I just Want the Super Eagles to grow into world class competitive level... but you see a player like Nacho?

I see him occupying a big role in this team's future.... we have to be fair when analysing the lad. The act he pulled when dragging his feet and being almost non-challant to the sub situation he found himself didn't actually mean Disrespect...... nooo... Nacho was not disrespecting anyone... neither was he just being Stupid.

Truth is this... from a keen psychological point of view... I have it on good authority that Nacho's attitude that day was the reaction you see from " Winners" or "Players with winners' attitude".... Champions beat and blame themselves even when the bulk of blame is not theirs to bear...

Nacho sees himself as one of the team's saviors when it matters most and HE JUST DIDN'T COME TO THE PARTY. He was just BELOW PAR. Yes we can talk on and on about the Over hit passes but truth is... Champions make the best out of any situation they find themselves and Nacho knew within himself that he didn't do enough. So he was right to shoulder the blame.. because that, right there, is what Champions (or players with champions attitude) do.

Teaser: Do you know that The June 10 historical loss to South Africa was Iheanacho's First Loss as A Super Eagles player when on the pitch?? He has only known Victories and draws... He was not even involved in the 1-0 loss in Alexandria, Egypt under Siasia...

That should tell you more of the psychological wave of guilt that swept through Nacho's mind when he saw himself being substituted... Imagine when you are nicknamed " Goals" and the coach takes you "Goals" out.... loolll... that is game over for you and for the team. Nacho knew that and he was indeed Below par in that game. Case Closed on Nacho. He will bounce back stronger I am sure... but let the best and most suitable start against Cameoroun... if august comes and it is still Nacho... then fellas... sorry... Nacho must play. Gbam!

Lemme end it here....
or should I? wink

From now, let's move on forward... one loss cannot suddenly rubbish the fact that we indeed have a golden generation on our hands....

We just have to get things right and utilise the very best we have... NOT BASED ON WHO PLAYS FOR THE BIG CLUBS... NOPE! BUT ON WHO IS TOP QUALITY EAGLES MATERIALS....

Sir JOEBIE DROPPED A LIST OF THE CAMEROONIAN TEAM THAT CONQUERED AFRICA... I remember Sir Goldfish80 talking about the quality of that team... he was right about them and we saw how they roared to the title...

It is not in glamorous clubs that we must base our analysis of the team's Line-up....... it is in actual top talents and what these players can bring to the team...

When I talk for Iheanacho for instance, it is because I know what that lad brings and we all here know it too... we know his talents and his growing reputation... IT IS NOT because HE IS IN MANCHESTER CITY.... NOPE!!!

It is because Kelechi is truly a class-Act.

When I called Mikel World class... people said I was stupid... and just crazily sentimental... you see now that he is the one world class quality that would have won us that game against South Africa and even made Awaziem's debut look so good sef... I bet you that had Mikel been on that pitch leading that team... we would have won and Awaziem will be hailed as Omeruo's quick super replacement...

Mikel's quality alone covered for the team's loop holes... but many didn't know... yet Some time ago... some of you wanted Mikel out... it is okay... sebi I am still mad to call him World class...See as i just dey look all of una....

The only invasion the thread ever experienced was becos I called Mikel World class... Some even termed him useless and a non-entity.... chaiiii... Now guys are saying... Ohhh Mikel is so important to the team... he was greatly missed. Shut up joor! Na now some people dey know... Loolll cheesy

Bottomline:

We need to move forward and do so wisely... WE MUST NOT BE OVERLY REACTIONARY because OF ONE LOSS... Like Sir Jospeh1013, I too am not bothered we lost... To be honest I kinda saw it coming after seeing Baxter's last batch of technical interviews before the game. He got our team spot on and knew we wouldn't be fielding a Mikel or moses or balogun or Ikeme... he played on our subtle weaknesses and exposed them... and that was my biggest silent fear... and our midfield made matters worse than worst.... sad

I just didn't wanna be seen as suddenly "Pessimistic" which is why I stayed away long before the game began but coincidentally I also fell sick (wasn't feeling too good in the week leading up to the game)... so I'm back... and it is for us to move forward...

Enough of the bashings... Let's move forward...

Enough of "Experience vs Youth..."

Truth is Both failed us that day... But we have the chance to make things right.

We still have a new golden generation on our hands people... this is the gospel truth... let us not blow it.... we can see this through...

come on now... let's do this okay... come on y'all... cheesy

Let's make a come back... wink

My opinion about Kelechi is very clear. I have always advocated that he's more of a second striker than a top striker.

Playing him as striker have reduced his influence to a six yard box striker. This is exactly the reason 90% of his goals are tap-ins and sure for him to do this on so many occasions shows he has a great instinct to be in the right place at the right time. But with such a player to be at his best the team as a whole needs to be tailored around such a player.

To get the best of Kelechi, the team have to play for him and make sure he's the last man in every move.

Unfortunately against South Africa, all these couldn't come together. The team was crying out for a target man. A top target man who could cause a nuisance to the South African defence. The kind of target man who will hold the ball up and bring others into the game. This was the reason the midfield failed. They basically lacked someone to bring them into the final 3rd of the South Africans.

The team was not set up to have a poacher who will wait on the shoulder of the last defender for something to fall for him. This was exactly the reason Kelechi had no influence in the game.

France for all the talents of Griezman, Mbappe,Dembele, Lacazete, etc still start a lesser talented Giroud because they need that imposing figure to bring others to play.

Football people in the country have all submitted that the big strikers should be recalled. It was very obvious that the team was unbalanced because we couldn't hold the ball up in the final 3rd. Even Rohr have admitted to the recall of Ideye and Co.
The whole country cannot be wrong at the same time.

Kelechi is useless as a lone forward. I can say this before any Oracle.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 9:52pm On Jun 17, 2017
www.nairaland.com/attachments/5136068_barnabas_jpeg10c2a4ee8ce559df040f2b4ae0a62706
Lobi Stars FC VA Akwa United 1:0
Goal.

Beautiful header by Barnabas Imenger Jnr.

And the game between Lobi Stars vs Rivers United ended 1-0.
In favour of Lobi Stars with a spectacular header from a player of Lobi Stars.. I was here live. I did not send my secretary. gringrin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:55pm On Jun 17, 2017
Unfortunately against South Africa, all these couldn't come together. The team was crying out for a target man. A top target man who could cause a nuisance to the South African defence. The kind of target man who will hold the ball up and bring others into the game. This was the reason the midfield failed. They basically lacked someone to bring them into the final 3rd of the South Africans.

Na wa. Over hit long balls,
Iheanacho breaking free from the defence repeatedly
and you are talking of a target man to cause the defenders nuisance.

It seems you did not read the fact making an attacking change was the wrong call and instead sorting the midfield out was the best option.

Bringing in Kayode yielded nothing. If you like bring Giroud. We were building from the back and breaking through. The problem was accurate balls and personnel changes/shuffle midfield was the solution.

Target man Ke.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:03pm On Jun 17, 2017
goldfish80:

My opinion about Kelechi is very clear. I have always advocated that he's more of a second striker than a top striker.

Playing him as striker have reduced his influence to a six yard box striker. This is exactly the reason 90% of his goals are tap-ins and sure for him to do this on so many occasions shows he has a great instinct to be in the right place at the right time. But with such a player to be at his best the team as a whole needs to be tailored around such a player.

To get the best of Kelechi, the team have to play for him and make sure he's the last man in every move.

The team was not set up to have a poacher who will wait on the shoulder of the last defender for something to fall for him. This was exactly the reason Kelechi had no influence in the game.

France for all the talents of Griezman, Mbappe,Dembele, Lacazete, etc still start a lesser talented Giroud because they need that imposing figure to bring others to play.

Football people in the country have all submitted that the big strikers should be recalled. It was very obvious that the team was unbalanced because we couldn't hold the ball up in the final 3rd. Even Rohr have admitted to the recall of Ideye and Co.

So to you, if a ten holds the ball and makes a bad pass to the forward repeatedly despite the forward making good runs, you will remove the striker for a target man to cause nuisances.

Haaa.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:08pm On Jun 17, 2017
goldfish80:

Do you have an idea there is a thing like strategy in football? If you think just bring in big striker then you miss a big picture. When you have a smallish mobile forward like Suarez, the strategy of play is totally different from when you have someone like Benteke.

In the game against South Africa, the build up worked but the final balls failed.

Saying Iheanacho is useless as a lone forward also shows the height of ignorance. I will explain.

Did you watch Iheanacho during the beginning of last season when Aguero injured? He was on fire. Fantastic. I remember his dummy against Stoke City or the counter attack I think against Bournemouth or his goal against Celtic, I think Monchengladbach with an assist from Sane. Or the one he dribbled the keeper and gave a brilliant pass to Nolito.

He did these playing as a lone forward and you use the distasteful term as USELESS.

FEAR GOD.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 10:16pm On Jun 17, 2017
AIG07:
Hmmmm...
Chai...
*The Arch Guardians of Experience have taken over this thread*

I salute you o Sir Kog45. You mean se you follow Naija's first golden generation (the mid 70s-mid80s) team. Daju daju you belong to top quarters of this great house.

Most of the names you put up there na from my Pop man and Austin Milado's song I heard them.

But on a more serious note, I think the NFF should create, have and run documentaries of Nigeria football since inception. Put them on youtubes, play them on NTA sports channels(instead of all this olympic reshow those one de show) and other stations. This will help us alot. Tell us where we were coming from, the huge sacrifice some have made to reach where we are and lots more.

bro KOG4 go be grandpa now ooo grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 10:17pm On Jun 17, 2017
And sir THESIPERNERD returns hmmmm
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 10:21pm On Jun 17, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

Do you have an idea there is a thing like strategy in football? If you think just bring in big striker then you miss a big picture. When you have a smallish mobile forward like Suarez, the strategy of play is totally different from when you have someone like Benteke.

In the game against South Africa, the build up worked but the final balls failed.

Saying Iheanacho is useless as a lone forward also shows the height of ignorance. I will explain.

Did you watch Iheanacho during the beginning of last season when Aguero injured? He was on fire. Fantastic. I remember his dummy against Stoke City or the counter attack I think against Bournemouth or his goal against Celtic, I think Monchengladbach with an assist from Sane. Or the one he dribbled the keeper and gave a brilliant pass to Nolito.

He did these playing as a lone forward and you use the distasteful term as USELESS.

FEAR GOD.

You're attempting to compare Suarez to Kelechi. Do they have the same skill set? Apples and oranges

If Kelechi was this awesome as a lone forward, I don't think Man city would have had him on transfer list.
I have seen plenty of anonymous games from him down the centre. I wonder why you dint mention the game against Leicester which he touched the ball just 13 times before being substituted.

Why didn't you mention the game against Algeria, which he was anonymous, he barely touched the ball all game.
How about the Senegal friendly? Save for the penalty, what else can you point out was his highlights?
How about the Zambian game, how many times did he touch the ball after Ideye was substituted?

I'm saying this for posterity sake. I'm not trying to convince you. It will be a total waste of time to try convince a delusional fellow who thinks Kelechi is better than Mbappe.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:24pm On Jun 17, 2017
goldfish80:

You're attempting to compare Suarez to Kelechi. Do they have the same skill set? Apples and oranges

If Kelechi was this awesome as a lone forward, I don't think Man city would have had him on transfer list.
I have seen plenty of anonymous games from him down the centre. I wonder why you dint mention the game against Leicester which he touched the ball just 13 times before being substituted.

Why didn't you mention the game against Algeria, which he was anonymous, he barely touched the ball all game.
How about the Senegal friendly? Save for the penalty, what else can you point out was his highlights?
How about the Zambian game, how many times did he touch the ball after Ideye was substituted?

I'm saying this for posterity sake. I'm not trying to convince you. It will be a total waste of time to try convince a delusional fellow who thinks Kelechi is better than Mbappe.

Why not I am comparing Anichebe to Benteke?

I am talking of style of play and you re talking comparing players.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:26pm On Jun 17, 2017
goldfish80:

You are the one telling tales by moonlight. You are totally wrong when you said Kelechi is useless as a lone striker. There are games he played very well as a lone striker. If that is your definition of useless, then you need to recheck the meaning of the word.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:29pm On Jun 17, 2017
goldfish80:

You are the one who is confusing your self. I said Kelechi is more lethal in the box than Mbappe. Mbappe has other qualities he uses to surpass Iheanacho.

Also I said, judge Iheanacho after he gets his run of games. I wonder why simple things like you is so hard to comprehend. It is too basic.

How that equates to Iheanacho better than Mbappe is baffling. Judge after Nacho gets his run.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 10:37pm On Jun 17, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

So to you, if a ten holds the ball and makes a bad pass to the forward repeatedly despite the forward making good runs, you will remove the striker for a target man to cause nuisances.

Haaa.
I don't know your football background. But I will be surprised if you played organised football and still come up with some of these opinions you push out.

Kelechi played close to 70 minutes of a game and all you could muster to defend his poor output was about 3 misplaced passes which didn't get to him from midfield.

I never knew players were judged by the number passes which didn't get to them.

Let me explain this to you again. South Africa had their defence well organised. Their defence was set up high up the pitch which translated to an offside trap strategy. Balls over the top from midfield will look to have bypassed the defence which will mislead a spectator into thinking the ball was over hit.

The defence was so set up like that to deceive midfielders to hit those type of passes,which wouldn't come through anyway.
It is a dangerous strategy but if it works to perfection, what you saw last Saturday was about the result you will get.

This is the technical breakdown of what went down against Bafana.

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (1140) (1141) (1142) (1143) (1144) (1145) (1146) ... (16398) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: people3 and 7 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 174
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.