Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,944 members, 7,873,032 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 07:00 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (1151) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11989047 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1148) (1149) (1150) (1151) (1152) (1153) (1154) ... (16392) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:51pm On Jun 19, 2017
Dedebanky85:
In all honesty, I'd not advise Nigeria to attack CMR in any of the legs. We are ahead on points so ot boils down to them to attack us. Worse case scenario is we take 2 points. If Algeria does the double over Zambia then they'd be 1 point after us. If Zambia does d double then they'd be one behind is as well. So we should be smart about these CMR games.

We must not attack the Camerounians all out in that game. Instead we frustrate them by keeping possession and moving the ball continuously. With time, the Camerounians will lose organization and we can deal them decisive blows with incisive passing and clinical finishing.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:53pm On Jun 19, 2017
Mickael2:

what does he use to hold up play? this is pure blasphemy

You must not hold up play with body strength. When a striker who is light in weight gets the ball, he can drop deeper with the ball or evade his opponents with evasive skills, drawing the defenders off position.

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:01pm On Jun 19, 2017
TheSuperNerd:
Rohr Dares NFF Technical Committee – I Won’t Submit My List For Vetting

Coach of the senior national team of Nigeria Gernot Rohr says he won’t agree to the demands of the technical committee of the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) over vetting of his list of players called up to the senior team of Nigeria.

Shortly after Nigeria’s 0-2 loss to South Africa, the technical committee of the NFF held an emergency meeting with the Franco-German coach, which according to head of the department Chris Green several decisions were reached.

Green said the coach will no longer have monopoly over the players called up to the Super Eagles, and the committee will vet his list of call ups before it is released to the public in a press conference, where questions will be asked on any questionable call up.

However Ade Ojeikere of Sportinglife reports that the coach through one of his aides said Rohr won’t submit his list to the committee for vetting, as the list is usually drawn alongside his assistants.

Furthermore he said the coach insist players called up to the team is usually done with the opposition in mind, as not all players are needed for particular games.

**Ade Emmanuel

Source: http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/06/19/rohr-dares-nff-technical-committee-i-wont-submit-my-list-for-vetting/

Rohr carry and go. Do not mind the technical committee who lack ideas of the technical insights of team selection. Are the committee members going to analyze the opposition, come up with a strategy, train the players to fit the strategy and select the best for it.

As I said, what does Dalung know in the United States of Nigeria.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 10:05pm On Jun 19, 2017
Sir Bigblangston.... hmmm... thanks for the complement. Kudos too. Never expected this.

bigblangston:
what a balanced debate. kudos
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 10:35pm On Jun 19, 2017
Yes, that creative spark..... Creativity plus possession-based mobility in our plays.

We must starve them of the ball and play an evasive game where we don't have to clash with their physical might. We have more technical players than physical and we must utilise that to great effect.

Quick possession-based passing and Creative mobility of our forwards and midfielders will be greatly needed in that game and we got the players to execute that plan.

Coming to set-pieces.... You are spot on with your observation.

I must say that the Oliseh Era saw us make good improvements from set piece situations. We had an Efe Ambrose who was always winning those aerials in the opponent's area and scoring goals from them. Now in as much as I really don't like how Oliseh handled the team, I must give that short era of his kudos for making us a little more dangerous from set pieces.

Now under Rohr... we need to get that back. We have the likes of Ekong and Balogun and a few tall midfielders like Ogu or Ndidi... who can always be aerial threats in the opponent's box when we have freekicks or Corners in our favour.

So I really hope Rohr brings this back coz we saw it play out good a few times in the Oiliseh era. We haven't really seen such under Rohr.

Truth is.... we need not approach the Camerounians with pressure. They are the ones under pressure and need more points than we do... our Job is to frustrate them and drag the game by keeping possession and hitting them with fine through balls from Mikel and also quick passing interchanges in cameroun's half so as to penetrate by evading their physical approach and bringing in our speed via our forwards in behind their muscular defenders like we saw Chile do.

Chile's forwards and midfielders were all of average height and some quite short yet they outclassed Cameroun by avoiding going physical with them. They utilised their superior technical depth. We must do same and Sir TheGoodJoe in a reply to Sir Dedebanky85 just put in nicely in a nutshell comment. Similar to what I just tried explaining sentences ago.

We have two big battles on our hands but we must realise that the aces still lie with us. Firstly, Let them come at us...... and let us just focus on controlling the game and starving them.... when they realise they really need to badly get on the ball, they are prone to break a chain in their defensive organization .... and then, that is when we hit them big time. smiley

Well shaa.... not as straightforward as it seems but we can work with this and its many branched scenarios.

chrisooblog:
shout out to super nerd, joebie for their balanced write ups. in my humble estimation if we are going to get anything against the cameroonians in september we would really need to find a player with that creative spark to undue them. it would be fool hardy to say it will be enough matching them in their physical play. i think we have better technical players and that's the kind of play we should impose and not gidigbo football. we should take a cue from okocha and kanu's performances against them in the 2000 and 2004 AFCON. plus we need to be strategic if getting two draws is the best we can get against them then so be it we would still be leading our group no matter how the matches between zambia and algeria pan out. the cameroonians need the win more than we do.

another side note from the south africa game is our failure to utilize set pieces especially corner kicks even though we created a gazillion of them this is not good enough since we are blessed with big guys. coach rohr earn your pay on this regard

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 10:41pm On Jun 19, 2017
TheSuperNerd:
Bafana Bafana Star – We Have Shown Cameroon How To Beat Nigeria

South Africa forward Themba Zwane who starred in their 2-0 win over Nigeria says Bafana Bafana have shown the rest of the world how to beat the senior national team of Nigeria.

The midfielder struck the woodwork twice in the game said South Africa could have won the game by more goals as the 2-0 scoreline didn’t justify their dominace in the game played at the Godswill Akpabio Stadium in Uyo.

He said their tactics of hitting Nigeria on the counter paid off, and insist that teams playing Nigeria who are to take on Cameroon next in the World Cup 2018 Qualifiers can borrow a leaf from their game plan.

“Upon our arrival at the airport there in Nigeria, some of the locals told us that we must forget about the possibility of beating their senior national team, especially at home. They told us that we were going to lose that encounter.

“That alone was the motivation for us to do well in that match. We also had a proper game plan. The coach told us to always maintain shape at the back and catch them on the counter. And we did that pretty well.”

**Ade Emmanuel

Source: http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/06/19/bafana-bafana-star-we-have-shown-cameroon-how-to-beat-nigeria/
what is this one saying?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 10:44pm On Jun 19, 2017
Dedebanky85:
You know I'd hold you to ur word. So don't be shocked if you get subpoenaed by FIFA. Lol. But I hope Naija wins both legs and close the qualifiers by September. But to be on the safest path, hence my defensive approach.

Lol...yes ooo
hopefully we will get enough opportunity to cap the likes of aina and co....with the match against Zambia and Algeria...
because for now....AFCON...qualifiers is something none should dare wit...we're approaching the remaining matches wit all seriousness

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 10:49pm On Jun 19, 2017
Mickael2:

Oga arrogance is not the way to go. I remember before we met SA it was 5-0, going into the second half of that game we started saying 2-0, by 70 mins we were singing ' he is a miracle working God '
forget it...nobody is being arrogant here...
had it been...the likes of V Moses, Mikel and Leon was present in that match against RSA
I tell you....the south Africans won't have it easy...
better still a draw....
just relax....we all will get to watch.
beating Cameroon in Nigeria is achievable and realistic....I thank God for the loss against RSA...something that really made rohr to know that he is not there yet ..
it is a blessing in disguise

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 10:50pm On Jun 19, 2017
jotey:

Home and away ke
bros no go hope on super eagles too much o
i know what I am saying
chief relax ...... I just pray...our best legs stay fit for that match.. and rohr get his tactics ryt
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 10:51pm On Jun 19, 2017
TheSuperNerd:
Yes, that creative spark..... Creativity plus possession-based mobility in our plays.

We must starve them of the ball and play an evasive game where we don't have to clash with their physical might. We have more technical players than physical and we must utilise that to great effect.

Quick possession-based passing and Creative mobility of our forwards and midfielders will be greatly needed in that game and we got the players to execute that plan.

Coming to set-pieces.... You are spot on with your observation.

I must say that the Oliseh Era saw us make good improvements from set piece situations. We had an Efe Ambrose who was always winning those aerials in the opponent's area and scoring goals from them. Now in as much as I really don't like how Oliseh handled the team, I must give that short era of his kudos for making us a little more dangerous from set pieces.

Now under Rohr... we need to get that back. We have the likes of Ekong and Balogun and a few tall midfielders like Ogu or Ndidi... who can always be aerial threats in the opponent's box when we have freekicks or Corners in our favour.

So I really hope Rohr brings this back coz we saw it play out good a few times in the Oiliseh era. We haven't really seen such under Rohr.

Truth is.... we need not approach the Camerounians with pressure. They are the ones under pressure and need more points than we do... our Job is to frustrate them and drag the game by keeping possession and hitting them with fine through balls from Mikel and also quick passing interchanges in cameroun's half so as to penetrate by evading their physical approach and bringing in our speed via our forwards in behind their muscular defenders like we saw Chile do.

Chile's forwards and midfielders were all of average height and some quite short yet they outclassed Cameroun by avoiding going physical with them. They utilised their superior technical depth. We must do same and Sir TheGoodJoe in a reply to Sir Dedebanky85 just put in nicely in a nutshell comment. Similar to what I just tried explaining sentences ago.

We have two big battles on our hands but we must realise that the aces still lie with us.
Firstly, Let them come at us...... and let us just focus on controlling the game and starving them.... when they realise they really need to badly get on the ball, they are prone to break a chain in their defensive organization .... and then, that is when we hit them big time. smiley

Well shaa.... not as straightforward as it seems but we can work with this and its many branched scenarios.

Just a quick remark @the bolded.
The Chileans might appear smaller than the Camerounians but they have incredible stamina and power. They aren't shy to go physical and fight the towering Cameroun. Its not all about height and physic.
The pitbul Gary Mendel is just about a tall dwarf (if there's anything like that), but I will put my money on him killing Vincent Aboubakar in a UFC cage fight.

Inasmuch as we suggest quick and elusive players to battle Cameroun, due consideration must be given to battle harden players, who will roll up their sleeves and fight the Camerounians. I don't expect a pretty game, this is African football. Anything less, my hand no dey am oh.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:02pm On Jun 19, 2017
WORLD CUP DISASTER IN WAITING? VARS COULD RUIN FIFA'S 2018 TOURNAMENT
By Peter Staunton

Initial efforts to embed video assistant referees in the Confederations Cup suggest Gianni Infantino's plan will backfire spectacularly in Russia

The Confederations Cup is a warm-up ahead of the World Cup in 2018 and the video assistance referee (VAR) system is going through its testing stages here in Russia with FIFA president Gianni Infantino said to be insistent about its usage in the main tournament next year.

If any message is to be fed back to Infantino it’s that much more work needs to be done to have everyone prepared for the widespread implementation of the VAR system at the top level.
Liverpool finalising £35m Salah deal

If we don’t see an improvement in the calls that are currently being made then bringing it in would do more to spoil the World Cup than any other decision.

What occurred in the game between Cameroon and Chile could only be described as chaos. It gets to the root of the current issue around VARs: on-field referee’s doubting their own decision making capabilities. This would appear to go against IFAB’s philosophy regarding VARs of “minimum interference, maximum benefit”.

The question that VARs seek to answer is not “was the decision right?”, but rather "was the decision clearly wrong?”. In the case of Eduardo Vargas’ goal at the end of the first half – even after multiple replays – there is simply no justifiable way in which you could say that the original decision to award the goal was clearly wrong.

If referees are going to start demanding replays for every marginal call then we are in for a disaster World Cup.

However, we should not rush to judgement considering that VARs are new for players, coaches and referees alike. Everyone needs time to get used to it. Some are further along the process than others.

VARs were used to great effect in a recent friendly between France and Spain but that was because the team of German officials all had “offline” training before the game. All Bundesliga officials have benefited from that in the year before the VARs roll out in German football.

FIFA has got to make sure that its full list of officials for the World Cup can do similar before forcing it onto the agenda. If the game is not ready then we should overlook its implementation until it is.

"This system needs time to get it right,” said the Chile coach Juan Antonio Pizzi. “We are still in the testing phase and it is true that feelings can be difficult because we are used to a different situation in our world of football.

"So we have to wait and see. Maybe after some time it will get better. The first half incident created some distress but then also because we are not used to it.

"I would say that such technology can bring us more justice in football but right now it's still a little difficult for the players. Even if it's the right decision it still has an impact on their emotions.”

Thirteen national federations or competition organisers have either been participating or have applied to be part of the trials, meaning potential World Cup officials will be relatively inexperienced in working with VARs by the time the tournament rolls around.

We don’t expect the final word on whether VARs will be used at World Cup 2018 until next March.

What we cannot afford is another situation like the Vargas goal, when a perfectly legitimate goal is scored and acknowledged as such by the on-field referee only to be discarded in the mistaken belief it was offside.

Source: http://m.goal.com/s/en-ng/news/4055/main/2017/06/19/36476182/world-cup-disaster-in-waiting-vars-could-ruin-fifas-2018
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 11:03pm On Jun 19, 2017
When a football man talks, you cannot help but listen. Respect to you Mr Mastoroudes.
He talked like someone who followed the after game analysis on this thread.

Mastoroudes : Super Eagles Have Capacity To Overcome Bafana Setback; Must Fight Cameroon ‘Fire To Fire ’

By Nnamdi Ezekute:
Veteran Nigerian football administrator and onetime boss of Leventis United FC of Ibadan has predicted that the Super Eagles will stage a strong comeback following a disgraceful 2-0 defeat to Bafana Bafana of South Africa in a 2019 Africa Cup of Nations qualifier in Uyo, Completesportsnigeria.com reports.
Nigeria host Cameroon in a 2018 FIFA World Cup qualifier on August 28, looking to win and extend lead in the Group B of the African qualifying zone.
Mastoroudes, slams Gernot Rohr's team for confronting South Africa without grit and losing disgracefully at home, but believes
the Nigerian side has the capacity to bounce back on winning note if the coach and players get back to work with the hard lessons learnt.
"I am still optimistic they will bounce back. Yes, we lost the first match of the AFCON qualifiers, but we haven't lost everything. There are still many matches to play. We were wounded but we're not out yet," Mastoroudes tells Completesportsnigeria.com.
"Cameroon is the next game. We must resolve to stand up to them fire to fire.
"I saw Cameroon against Chile at the FIFA Confederations Cup. They have speed, great physique, height and power. It is a very important game to play, and we must win it to qualify for the World Cup.
"I am convinced that Nigeria can fight well and win when they have their back against the wall."
The Greek-born Mastorodes continues on his desire to see the national team his adopted country bounce back from the loss to South Africa.
"We did not play well in that match against South Africa, so losing it was inevitable," reckons.
"I felt that the players approached it like a friendly match. It's like they didn't realize the importance of of the game. I was very disappointed with their performance. Like I've always said, the new crop of Nigerian players coming through have the capacity to go far, but unfortunately they didn't show that promise against South Africa.
"I notices too many weaknesses in the team against South Africa. For example, the two full-backs were so much below par.
"The Eagles initially held the game but lacked creativity to to last the distance and then allowed South Africa to come up in the match.
"Going forward, Moses Simon was holding the ball, doing all sorts of tricks, but his final touches were so pathetic. Ahmed Musa was a disappointment when he came in. Most of us believe Musa is fast, but many African defenders are faster than him. His speed was completely neutralized by the Bafana defenders.
"Iheanacho was played completely out of position. We need a top class centre-forward. The forwards were substandard against South Africa. I did not see one Nigerian forward that I liked in the match.
"I was also very disappointed with Arsenal boy, Alex Iwobi. He didn't play well in that match.
"The only player who impressed in the midfield was Onazi. He fought like a lion, but unfortunately, he was on his own.
"I think we missed players like Mikel Obi in the midfield. And of course, we missed Victor Moses. He is such an important player for us. Without him against South Africa, the Super Eagles lost 50 per cent of his capacity.
"Going by the selection that played South Africa, I can say we don't have a team. We should just forget that match and concentrate on the future games.
"I have confidence in the capacity of the talents Nigeria have. We need to work very hard going forward. Hard work is the alfa and omega of every team. I believe we can improve. We should look for and get the right players to man the positions we have found to be weak. We have the players."
He also challenges Super Eagles Technical Adviser, Gernot Rohr to brace up with the lessons he must have picked from his howlers against South Africa.
"Yes, the coach is to blame when the team loses, but it's a very good lesson for him. When people talked highly of him – about having not lost a match, I said good, the team must play more matches to test him properly. He may not have expected the players to play badly like they did even with his selection lapses, but it's a lesson for him going forward," he says.
"It's up to the coach now. He should get the right players for the positions. We have them out there. The team must work harder and play African football. This is important. They must play African football, not Oyinbo football. We have the talented players who will play that brand of football and make the difference."

http://www.completesportsnigeria.com/mastoroudes-super-eagles-capacity-overcome-bafana-setback-must-fight-cameroon-fire-fire/

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 11:04pm On Jun 19, 2017
Kog45:
Oh Rohr is watching but Salisu is not watching?why are u so racist against your Nigerian brother for God sake,losing against South Africa is purely Rohr's fault,he is d boss.Remember Olishe resigned ir fired but Agu was retained,just to tell u d boss carry d blames.

If Rohr is not satisfying with their performances,he should say it out instead of all this blackmailing against Nigeria assistants,mind u Rohr have foreign assistants working with him but funny enough nobody saying anything about those guys.

When we won Zambia and Algeria did anybody mention Salisu or any Nigerian assistants,it was Rohr all d way but losing to South Africa,Nigerian assistants are d issues.Thank God no home based was fielded,it would have been hell or let say Awaziem is home based player.

If i may ask does Rohr need any Nigerian assistant tactically before he can beat South Africa coz i don't understand your remarks'hope Salisu is watching'

It seems some of us believe anything about foreign,truly they are sincere but that does not mean they don't have their weakness.

I remember euphoria that greeted Bonferre Jo when he won Olympics gold and d euphoria of Samson Siasia 2008 Olympic team,despite playing with young team.

Also euphoria of westerhoff Afcon 94 team and Keshi 2013 Afcon team,despite winning Keshi was bashed up and down with undue criticisms.

Pls let appreciate and respect our own,though they are not better than d foreign ones but we need to show love not unnecessary remarks

unfortunately I am not being racist...
the problem we have in this country the best always does not get the job...
i was expecting his input or contribution prior and during the RSA match...he was around when the RSA drew few years ago....his advice would have been very useful to help cage the RSA
u saw...the South Africans...had to go get rantie to come play against the eagles and also a coach who once beat Nigeria in friendly...
it wouldn't have been bad...if they had invited aluko all fr the purpose of the RSA game...same RSA never changed their style of play like they did when we meet last...
one should expect the likes of siasia to be among the technical crew....but the norm of putting square pegs in round holes won't let us ..
on agu...one should expect by now...he should have been able to scout good goal keepers home and abroad for the SE... but to no avail...
rather...the FC ifeanyiubah goalkeeper keep getting invitation even when it is obvious he is not the best the Npfl parade at the moment...
I think the custom should be revisited.....all members of the coaching crew...should be praised and fired at the same time....
because some assistants too are at fault
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:08pm On Jun 19, 2017
They have stamina and power but so also did the Camerounians.

The difference physically was clearly size and Height which the camerounians had in abundance and high level over the Chileans... since they are both matched in stamina and power. So Chile did play an evasive game but ofcos their defenders had to be both physical and technical with the towering Camerounians.

In the attacking third, Chile were all about technicality and evasive techniques. In midfield, Vidal did most of the physical fights... in addition to his box-to-box dutiee allowing Aranguiz and Diaz focus more on orchestrating Chile's plays from the middle.

In all, it boils down to Character and resilience from each and every player who will dorn the green and white for Nigeria to execute our game plans coz Cameroun will want us to play to their physical tunes all game and we must not allow that.

P.S: Speaking of battle hardened players... This where the likes of Mikel, Moses, Balogun and even Success come in... Mikel can play physical and technical... Moses' stamina is world class bad-ass... Success is a beast.... Balogun is our best and most battle-hardened defender.... So the generals will be back to lead the young troops. wink

goldfish80:

Just a quick remark @the bolded.
The Chileans might appear smaller than the Camerounians but they have incredible stamina and power. They aren't shy to go physical and fight the towering Cameroun. Its not all about height and physic.
The pitbul Gary Mendel is just about a tall dwarf (if there's anything like that), but I will put my money on him killing Vincent Aboubakar in a UFC cage fight.

Inasmuch as we suggest quick and elusive players to battle Cameroun, due consideration must be given to battle harden players, who will roll up their sleeves and fight the Camerounians. I don't expect a pretty game, this is African football. Anything less, my hand no dey am oh.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 11:17pm On Jun 19, 2017
TheSuperNerd:
They have stamina and power but so also did the Camerounians.

The difference physically was clearly size and Height since they are both matched in stamina and power. So Chile did play an evasive game but ofcos their defenders had to be both physical and technical with the towering Camerounians.

In the attacking third, Chile were all about technicality and evasive techniques. In midfield, Vidal did most of the physical fights... in addition to his box-to-box dutiee allowing Aranguiz and Diaz focus more on orchestrating Chile's plays from the middle.

In all, it boils down to Character and resilience from each and every player who will dorn the green and white for Nigeria to execute our game plans coz Cameroun will want us to play to their physical tunes all game and we must not allow that.

P.S: Speaking of battle hardened players... This where the likes of Mikel, Moses, Balogun and even Success come in... Mikel can play physical and technical... Moses' stamina is world class bad-ass... Success is a beast.... Balogun is our best and most battle-hardened defender.... So the generals will be back to lead the young troops. wink

What I'm saying is that we should field players who will be able to match them for power. They will give us a rough rugged and raw type of game.
If we play ajebo players because we want to out maneuver them. It will be bye bye to Baghdad for us.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:27pm On Jun 19, 2017
We play to our strength. Not to the strength of the Camerounians. Going forward with a power tussle will be a suicidal move. They will kill us. Hold the ball and the Camerounians will foul you. Anyone the referee does not blow is a clear case of counter attack with players off position.

The solution is to starve the Camerounians of the ball. We have the technical ability to pull that off.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:28pm On Jun 19, 2017
Must we play their rough rugged type of game??

We must play to our greatest strength and mix that with Grit and power needed to match the Camerounians. They have more super physical players than we have.

Talking about players of power and stamina who also got fine technique.. we got Balogun, Mikel, Moses, Ekong, Ndidi, Onazi, Ogu... just to mention a few. These are fighters and battle-hardened Monsters... So we should be fine. But going all power for power for all 90mins playing Gra gra football is not what we must do. I forbid it.

goldfish80:

What I'm saying is that we should field players who will be able to match them for power. They will give us a rough rugged and raw type of game.
If we play ajebo players because we want to out maneuver them. It will be bye bye to Baghdad for us.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:44pm On Jun 19, 2017
Mikel : I Will Return To Action In Few Weeks
By Johnny Edward

John Mikel Obi has hinted that he will be back in action for his Chinese Super League club, Tianjin Teda in few weeks, and later for Super Eagles of Nigeria, reports Completesportsnigeria.com .

Mikel has been out of action for the past three months after undergoing a surgery to repair the abdominal strain he sustained while in action for Tianjin Teda.

The former Chelsea midfielder shared a short video of him via his Instagram page @mikel_john_obi as he did a ball work, pacing in different directions with a set of cones.

"Few more weeks and I'm back on the pitch with my boys #TianjinTeda #SuperEagles #recovery," Mikelwrote beneath a video he posted on his Instagram page.

Mikel's last appearance for Tianjin Teda was in their 2-0 victory over Chongqing Lifan in April in a Chinese Super League clash.

He missed his club side's last 13 games and was sorely missed for the Super Eagles who lost 2-0 to South Africa in Uyo in an Africa Cup of Nations qualifier.

Source: http://www.completesportsnigeria.com/mikel-will-return-action-weeks/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 12:54am On Jun 20, 2017
Oduamadi Rejects Saudi Mega Bucks Deal Offer , Seeks Career Progress In Europe
By Johnny Edward

AC Milan's Nigerian winger Nnamdi Oduamadi has rejected a lucrative offer from Saudi Arabian top division side, Al Ahli Completesportnigeria.com has reliably gathered.

Al Ahli have offered a fee in the region of $3m for Oduamadi services who is in the final year on his contract with Milan, but the 25 year old is not keen on a move to Saudi Arabia.

Oduamadi admitted that he was poised for a move away from the San Siro this summer and further hinted that he will join a top flight team in Europe in a bid to earn a recall to the Nigerian national team.

"My agent has been receiving offers but I'm not sure a move to Saudi Arabia sounds interesting now," he told Completesportnigeria.com .

"There are some teams in Europe who have shown interest, but everything has to be official."

The former Flying Eagles and U23 star has played for Torino, Varese, Crotone, Brescia, Latina and HJK Helsinki on loan from AC Milan since joining the club in 2008.

Source: http://www.completesportsnigeria.com/oduamadi-rejects-saudi-mega-bucks-deal-offer-seeks-career-progress-europe/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:46am On Jun 20, 2017
Akwa Ibom Commissioner Demands Apology from NFF

Akwa Ibom State Commissioner for Information and Strategy, Mr. Charles Udoh, insisted on Tuesday that the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) should apologise to the government and people of the state, if reports in the media that Super Eagles next home match has been moved away from Uyo.

Speaking in his office on the reasons advanced for the purported moving of future Super Eagles matches away from Uyo as a result of the recent 2 – 0 loss to the Bafana Bafana of South Africa, Mr. Udoh described them as weak and baseless.

The Commissioner maintained that Eagles had the best of support from the government and people of Akwa Ibom State, and that the NFF should not have contemplated such a move, it at all it did.

According to him, “the 30,000 capacity facility in Uyo remains the best maintained stadium in Nigeria and ranks among the best in the world.”

He stressed that “at no point in time were the Nigerian players booed throughout the duration of the match against South Africa, as would have been the case in other venues.”

On the distance from Le’Meridien Ibom Hotel to the Stadium, as one of the reasons for the poor result posted by the Eagles, Mr. Udoh said it could not have been, because the Bafana Bafana team was also lodged at the same facility and covered the same distance before the match.

He stated that on the contrary, the Ibom Le’Meridien Hotel & Golf Resort was a nice environment for good team bonding.

According to Mr. Udoh, “if truly the next Super Eagles Russia 2018 World Cup qualifier against Cameroon, earlier scheduled for Uyo, has been moved to Port Harcourt, as reported by a section of the sporting press, then the NFF would have to apologise to the government and people of Akwa Ibom.”

He recalled that it was at the same stadium in Uyo that the Super Eagles played brilliant football and defeated the Fennecs of Algeria, stressing that the support from football fans at the magnificent stadium has always been massive.

The Information Commissioner emphasised that instead of throwing blames in the wrong direction, the NFF should critically analysis the last match, with a view to identifying lapses and make adequate preparations for the next matches.

However, feelers from NFF’s Glass House in Abuja revealed that no decision has been taken on moving the Nigeria versus Cameroon World Cup qualifier from Uyo to Port Harcourt.

“I don’t know where the story of moving Super Eagles match against Cameroon from Uyo coming from. This is news to me. As far as we are concerned no decision has been taken to move the match from Uyo,” a top level NFF official told THISDAY last night.

Source: http://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2017/06/20/akwa-ibom-commissioner-demands-apology-from-nff/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 2:22am On Jun 20, 2017
goldfish80:
When a football man talks, you cannot help but listen. Respect to you Mr Mastoroudes.
He talked like someone who followed the after game analysis on this thread.

Mastoroudes : Super Eagles Have Capacity To Overcome Bafana Setback; Must Fight Cameroon ‘Fire To Fire ’

By Nnamdi Ezekute:
Veteran Nigerian football administrator and onetime boss of Leventis United FC of Ibadan has predicted that the Super Eagles will stage a strong comeback following a disgraceful 2-0 defeat to Bafana Bafana of South Africa in a 2019 Africa Cup of Nations qualifier in Uyo, Completesportsnigeria.com reports.
Nigeria host Cameroon in a 2018 FIFA World Cup qualifier on August 28, looking to win and extend lead in the Group B of the African qualifying zone.
Mastoroudes, slams Gernot Rohr's team for confronting South Africa without grit and losing disgracefully at home, but believes
the Nigerian side has the capacity to bounce back on winning note if the coach and players get back to work with the hard lessons learnt.
"I am still optimistic they will bounce back. Yes, we lost the first match of the AFCON qualifiers, but we haven't lost everything. There are still many matches to play. We were wounded but we're not out yet," Mastoroudes tells Completesportsnigeria.com.
"Cameroon is the next game. We must resolve to stand up to them fire to fire.
"I saw Cameroon against Chile at the FIFA Confederations Cup. They have speed, great physique, height and power. It is a very important game to play, and we must win it to qualify for the World Cup.
"I am convinced that Nigeria can fight well and win when they have their back against the wall."
The Greek-born Mastorodes continues on his desire to see the national team his adopted country bounce back from the loss to South Africa.
"We did not play well in that match against South Africa, so losing it was inevitable," reckons.
"I felt that the players approached it like a friendly match. It's like they didn't realize the importance of of the game. I was very disappointed with their performance. Like I've always said, the new crop of Nigerian players coming through have the capacity to go far, but unfortunately they didn't show that promise against South Africa.
"I notices too many weaknesses in the team against South Africa. For example, the two full-backs were so much below par.
"The Eagles initially held the game but lacked creativity to to last the distance and then allowed South Africa to come up in the match.
"Going forward, Moses Simon was holding the ball, doing all sorts of tricks, but his final touches were so pathetic. Ahmed Musa was a disappointment when he came in. Most of us believe Musa is fast, but many African defenders are faster than him. His speed was completely neutralized by the Bafana defenders.
"Iheanacho was played completely out of position. We need a top class centre-forward. The forwards were substandard against South Africa. I did not see one Nigerian forward that I liked in the match.
"I was also very disappointed with Arsenal boy, Alex Iwobi. He didn't play well in that match.
"The only player who impressed in the midfield was Onazi. He fought like a lion, but unfortunately, he was on his own.
"I think we missed players like Mikel Obi in the midfield. And of course, we missed Victor Moses. He is such an important player for us. Without him against South Africa, the Super Eagles lost 50 per cent of his capacity.
"Going by the selection that played South Africa, I can say we don't have a team. We should just forget that match and concentrate on the future games.
"I have confidence in the capacity of the talents Nigeria have. We need to work very hard going forward. Hard work is the alfa and omega of every team. I believe we can improve. We should look for and get the right players to man the positions we have found to be weak. We have the players."
He also challenges Super Eagles Technical Adviser, Gernot Rohr to brace up with the lessons he must have picked from his howlers against South Africa.
"Yes, the coach is to blame when the team loses, but it's a very good lesson for him. When people talked highly of him – about having not lost a match, I said good, the team must play more matches to test him properly. He may not have expected the players to play badly like they did even with his selection lapses, but it's a lesson for him going forward," he says.
"It's up to the coach now. He should get the right players for the positions. We have them out there. The team must work harder and play African football. This is important. They must play African football, not Oyinbo football. We have the talented players who will play that brand of football and make the difference."

http://www.completesportsnigeria.com/mastoroudes-super-eagles-capacity-overcome-bafana-setback-must-fight-cameroon-fire-fire/
Did I hear John Mastoroudus saying he was impressed with Onazi but here to some guys reversed is d case,
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 6:00am On Jun 20, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

You must not hold up play with body strength. When a striker who is light in weight gets the ball, he can drop deeper with the ball or evade his opponents with evasive skills, drawing the defenders off position.

I am talking about Suarez here, Suarez does not have body strength? a player who weighs 85kg does not have body strength? just admit that you didn't know that Suarez can shield the ball not this lame excuse you want to cook up
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 6:22am On Jun 20, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

We must not attack the Camerounians all out in that game. Instead we frustrate them by keeping possession and moving the ball continuously. With time, the Camerounians will lose organization and we can deal them decisive blows with incisive passing and clinical finishing.

nice point, but you know playing a possession based game requires a lot of mobility, on other words it means our fullback have to be moving constantly to provide passing options, now what happens when we have a misplaced pass? those Cameroonians are seriously fast, at some point against Chile I thought their feet weren't touching the ground when they started running. there was this particular incident that I want to highlight, I think it was that defender wearing a long hand that misplaced a pass before three seconds Aboubakar was already in front of the goalkeeper and if not for a lucky leg from the goalkeeper and sheer utter luck it would have either been a goal or an own goal. now this affects us because we don't really have possession based guys in our team. we all know Onazi will start, I don't really trust Echejile's ability to maintain possession, if he receives twenty balls I almost expect him to lose five and against those quick guys any misplaced pass is surely going to create an imbalance. So I don't really think we should approach the game with a Barcelona-style possession based game rather with a Van-Gaal style possession based game, that is one were we retain possession in our own half mainly so that we are never caught out of position because we lack pace to deal with them

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 7:09am On Jun 20, 2017
Kog45:
Did I hear John Mastoroudus saying he was impressed with Onazi but here to some guys reversed is d case,

Some people just want to give the guy a bad name so they can protect their favourite Ndidi who had a game to forget.
I remember saying that Onazi had a better game than the rest of them midfielders. Funny enough, some said he was the captain, that he should have made the whole team played better. I can't understand what that means.
Could it be he was supposed to use a cane and flog Ndidi and Etebo to perform better?

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 7:20am On Jun 20, 2017
TheSuperNerd:
Akwa Ibom Commissioner Demands Apology from NFF

Akwa Ibom State Commissioner for Information and Strategy, Mr. Charles Udoh, insisted on Tuesday that the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) should apologise to the government and people of the state, if reports in the media that Super Eagles next home match has been moved away from Uyo.

Speaking in his office on the reasons advanced for the purported moving of future Super Eagles matches away from Uyo as a result of the recent 2 – 0 loss to the Bafana Bafana of South Africa, Mr. Udoh described them as weak and baseless.

The Commissioner maintained that Eagles had the best of support from the government and people of Akwa Ibom State, and that the NFF should not have contemplated such a move, it at all it did.

According to him, “the 30,000 capacity facility in Uyo remains the best maintained stadium in Nigeria and ranks among the best in the world.”

He stressed that “at no point in time were the Nigerian players booed throughout the duration of the match against South Africa, as would have been the case in other venues.”

On the distance from Le’Meridien Ibom Hotel to the Stadium, as one of the reasons for the poor result posted by the Eagles, Mr. Udoh said it could not have been, because the Bafana Bafana team was also lodged at the same facility and covered the same distance before the match.

He stated that on the contrary, the Ibom Le’Meridien Hotel & Golf Resort was a nice environment for good team bonding.

According to Mr. Udoh, “if truly the next Super Eagles Russia 2018 World Cup qualifier against Cameroon, earlier scheduled for Uyo, has been moved to Port Harcourt, as reported by a section of the sporting press, then the NFF would have to apologise to the government and people of Akwa Ibom.”

He recalled that it was at the same stadium in Uyo that the Super Eagles played brilliant football and defeated the Fennecs of Algeria, stressing that the support from football fans at the magnificent stadium has always been massive.

The Information Commissioner emphasised that instead of throwing blames in the wrong direction, the NFF should critically analysis the last match, with a view to identifying lapses and make adequate preparations for the next matches.

However, feelers from NFF’s Glass House in Abuja revealed that no decision has been taken on moving the Nigeria versus Cameroon World Cup qualifier from Uyo to Port Harcourt.

“I don’t know where the story of moving Super Eagles match against Cameroon from Uyo coming from. This is news to me. As far as we are concerned no decision has been taken to move the match from Uyo,” a top level NFF official told THISDAY last night.

Source: http://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2017/06/20/akwa-ibom-commissioner-demands-apology-from-nff/

Nigeria is a 3rd world country. The hallmarks of a 3rd world country is superstition and faith that God will intervene in all of their affairs.
People should be looking at bringing the right players and preparing adequately for the next game,instead they want to blame the stadium.
Africa man

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 8:22am On Jun 20, 2017
do4luv14:

hurrrrryyyyyy!!!!!!!!........

FIRSRLADY is back

#goingformywooingvear cool cool cool
this thread discourages me a lot, so I don't even want to be here these days.

So many pessimists, I'll just drop by once or twice and be like Eseose. Can't wait for our next game, hopefully the optimism will be back by then.

We will still beat SA in South Africa and collect 4 points at least from Cameroon.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 9:00am On Jun 20, 2017
safarigirl:

So many pessimists, I'll just drop by once or twice and be like Eseose. Can't wait for our next game, hopefully the optimism will be back by then.

We will still beat SA in South Africa and collect 4 points at least from Cameroon.

you are. Right dear, but pls don't do an ESEOSE in the thread, I will be missing you,
plssss
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 9:08am On Jun 20, 2017
safarigirl:

yea, you are right,

but pls don't do an ESOSE in the thread, cos I will be missing you and ur contributions
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:33am On Jun 20, 2017
Chaaiiiii.... The Eseose9 effect in action.... wink
She got a fan now and that is Safarigirl.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:37am On Jun 20, 2017
Promising Bayern Munich Nigerian Left Back Names His Role Model

Bayern Munich wonderkid Kimberly Ezekwem has revealed that Austria international of Nigerian descent David Alaba is the player he looks up to and is waiting to step into his shoes at the Bundesliga champions.

The German-born left wing-back is concentrating on his studies and will make a decision on the national team he hopes to represent in the near future.

''My father and mother are Nigerians. I am too young to play for Nigeria now, I won't say too young but I am concentrating on my studies,'' said Ezekwem to
allnigeriasoccer.com .

''I don't like rating myself. David Alaba is my role model at Bayern because I love the way he plays.''

The 16-year-old Ezekwem featured for the youth teams of SC
Freising, SE Freising and 1860 Munich before he was acquired by Bayern Munich.

He was one of the most impressive players for The Bavarians at the Puskás Cup held in Hungary this month.

**Ifeanyi Emmanuel

Source: http://allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=23475

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:40am On Jun 20, 2017
Soon-To-Be-Married Edomwonyi Refuses To Rule Out Rizespor Exit This Summer

Bright Edomwonyi has refused to rule out an exit from relegated Turkish club Rizespor in the summer transfer window, allnigeriasoccer.com understands.

The former Flying Eagles invitee joined Rizespor in the January transfer window from Sturm Graz, and it is thought that there's no relegation clause in the contract he signed that will allow him leave the club as a free agent this summer.

Rizespor are hoping to retain the services of Edomwonyi, but he is set to hold showdown talks with the management of the club when he returns to Turkey for pre-season.

The striker previously represented Austrian teams Red Bull Salzburg, FC Liefering, FC Wacker and Hartberg.

Edomwonyi will tie the knot with his girlfriend Esosa Osayantin in a ceremony that will take place at Living Faith Church Ikorodu, Lagos on July 1, 2017.

**Ifeanyi Emmanuel

Source: http://allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=23476
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 9:49am On Jun 20, 2017
Joebie:
in fact, the science of the game have long been studied and used to the detriment of many African teams. With our African way of holding on to crude ways of doing things.
Take for example the Chile game. I've watched other Cameroon friendlies that they have lost woefully. Although you can see that the Cameroon players are talented, but they are always outsmarted by clever tactics. This is where South Africa got it right against us.

Yes Sir TheSuperNerd we really need to look at our preferred formation and also assign roles to maximize the strengths of our top players. Where is that creative midfielder who can dictate the tempo of the game? Where is that player who can string all kind of passes with ease? We have enough forwards in our teams who can perform very well with the right midfield structure behind them. In today's game you can survive and even win tournaments without a true number 9, especially since dedicated winger roles have been almost discarded over the years. Today, we only speak of Left, Right and center forwards, who can play all three roles. Granted, we still have true number 9s. But you can't go on searching for a true Number 9 if the player is not readily available. Still speaking of the midfield, it seems we have many holding midfielders these days. However having one play on the same matchday can spell problems if their job is to do almost the same thing. I think for balance sake and for a good flow even if a player has many qualities he should be assigned a role, not saying he will not use his other qualities, but based on the game plan he will need to do more of one role than the other, and another player do the other more. I think a player like Ndidi has improved a lot in his passing game -- judging by the Senegal friendly. Let's talk about these roles, because this was the major problem in our midfield versus South Africa. Like I said earlier, the problem was not player selection in the midfield, but roles assignment.
Let's talk about Onazi, Ndidi, and Mikel. How about Ogu, Esiti, Etebo? What roles should they rather play in our winning 4-2-3-1 formation for example. Also considering an opponent like Cameroon.

Hmmm i read your beautiful post and that of Supernerd,but my submission is this,we already have a team that beat Zambia and Algeria but due to injuries,players like Ikeme,Mikel,Balogun were out,also Moses was un available,Omeruo couldn't make d starting lineup

The South Africa match have come and gone but we learnt a lot but d technical crew learnt more than us,there should be no emotions or sentiments in their own analysis of things,is either they performed or kick out.

Whether we like it or not Cameroon game we be decisive coz of age rivalry,being Africa champion is a plus for them,also being a leader in our group is a great advantage to us,all we need is to go back to basics coz we started well under Rohr but something went wronged against south Africa and must be addressed without sentiments.

Rohr first assignment was Tanzania match and later Zambia but against Algeria he brought out his XI team,namely Ikeme but injured,Akpeyi came as a replacement,Omeruo as RB,Echiejele as LB,Onazi as DM,Balogun and Ekong as CB,Iwobi at d right midfield,Victor Moses at d left side,Mikel and Etebor doing it at central midfield and Nacho doing it upfront.

The match against South Africa saw lot of changes especially due to injuries to some players and this brought imbalanced to d team and Rohr failed in this aspect,for instance d pairing of Onazi and Ndidi was an eyesore,it is not compulsory for d two to make starting lineup,despite Kante of Chelsea rise,he is still a second fiddle in French national team,Benzema despite wearing Real shirt,find it difficult to break into French national team of late.

Despite the presence of Onazi,Ndidi which i believe is enough for now,some are clamouring for Esiti,whereas Agu is in d waiting,do we need to invite all this guys coz i realized they are all DM.Instead of inviting Agu and Esiti we need to give room for attacking midfielder like Ajagun or put Iwobi in his right place so that absence of Mikel w not be felt.

If care is not taking Rohr we still get it wrong against Cameroon coz looking for a striker at this time to prosecute Cameroon match is out of it,we already have Nacho,Kayode,he should just add Ideye who is already part of d team and move on.

Rohr should just revisit his XI against Algeria with omission of Akpeyi and probably Iwobi with Ideye coming to d line up to give Nacho chance to do his things.

My line up against Cameroon is Ikeme in goal and 4-3-3 formation with Omeruo, Echiejele,Balogun,Ekong in d defence,Onazi,Etebor,Mikel in d midfield,Moses,Ideye,Iheanacho in d attacks,just hope no injury set in,this team we do it against Cameroon.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (1148) (1149) (1150) (1151) (1152) (1153) (1154) ... (16392) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Toylove, shawwal1(m), viciati(m) and 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 187
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.