Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,698 members, 7,889,229 topics. Date: Sunday, 14 July 2024 at 06:04 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (11789) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (12074548 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11786) (11787) (11788) (11789) (11790) (11791) (11792) ... (16433) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 11:53pm On Nov 30, 2021
TheGoodJoe:

Denied by Nigeria, Osunwa turns Arab goals king

The name on the lips of football fans in the Arab world right now is definitely not the inimitable Saeed Al-Owairan, neither is it Rabah Madjar, Badou Zaki or even Mohamed Aboutreika, a more recent star of that part of the world.

It’s an unlikely name: Kelechi Osunwa, a Nigerian, a great goals scorer of repute, who plays for Al Ahly Shendi in the Sudanese topflight league.

The Nigerian striker stands tall as the record all-time highest goals scorer in a single season in the Arab leagues, after he notched 38 goals for Shendi, which erased Algerian Nacer Bouiche’s 36 goals record for JS Kabylie in the 1985/86 season.

Before now, the 31-year-old has never lacked as far as goals scoring is concerned, right from his time with the national U-17 team 15 years ago.

Numbers they say, don’t lie and Osunwa’s intimidating goals statistics would have many heads rolling.

In ending the season on 38 goals in Sudan, he grabbed five hat-tricks, six braces and seven Man-of-the-Match awards. His entire tally is now 137 goals in the Sudanese league, and this include 40 in 51 games in 2012, the highest all-time goals. He also notched nine goals in African club competition while at Al Hilal in 2005, a record at that time; and then another five at the African U-17 Championship in 2002, another record then.

https://punchng.com/denied-nigeria-osunwa-turns-arab-goals-king/

You can see, I did not even know, he was the highest goals scorer in the U17 AYC before the world cup at Trinidad and Tobago.

He was a special talent. Unfortunately, things did not work out. Even when he was called to Super Eagles camp, he just wanted a chance. Kai. Osunwa.
bros as long as he never did it in European top league it doesn’t stand out to me

I know osunwa well even when he was banging in goals for fun in Sudan. He played for Sudans best clubs before moving to one of the Arabian leagues

His stats then even got him an invite in the super eagles then for a friendly. I never doubted his impressive stats but since he didn’t do it in any decent league in Europe he shouldn’t be counted as one of Nigeria’s generational talents
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:54pm On Nov 30, 2021
charlesemeka85:
yes of course you are right to a certain extend but what brought mikel to lime light wasn’t even the u20 World Cup but 2003 u17 World Cup where Eguavoen was their coach.

I followed the team in the competition and even as young as I was then I singled out mike to be a star in the future. I remember in the competition he scored a goal against Costa Rica abi Chile

Then mikel was a shinning light in the 3 games the team only played in the group stage. Another player that was very good then was Emmanuel sarki. The chukwueze we rate high today wasn’t as half as good as sarki was then. Ogbuke, issac success and okoronkwo where other decent ones in the team but amongst all mikel stood out

Kola anubi if am correct paired mikel in midfield

I watched that team and Mikel even showed more flair than he did in the U20 but I think Mikel had more elegance in the U20 and maturity to his game.

Either way, Eguavoen did a mean job raising that team. At that time Eguavoen was criticised of carrying babies to the U17 but it paid with time.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:55pm On Nov 30, 2021
charlesemeka85:
bros as long as he never did it in European top league it doesn’t stand out to me

I know osunwa well even when he was banging in goals for fun in Sudan. He played for Sudans best clubs before moving to one of the Arabian leagues

His stats then even got him an invite in the super eagles then for a friendly. I never doubted his impressive stats but since he didn’t do it in any decent league in Europe he shouldn’t be counted as one of Nigeria’s generational talents

Not because he did not get to play in Europe due to some circumstances does not change his status. He was a rare talent and a gem. He was built for the stars. Unfortunately it did not happen. Does not change the fact Osunwa was a generational talent.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 11:57pm On Nov 30, 2021
TheGoodJoe:

I watched that team and Mikel even showed more flair than he did in the U20 but I think Mikel had more elegance in the U20 and maturity to his game.

Either way, Eguavoen did a mean job raising that team. At that time Eguavoen was criticised of carrying babies to the U17 but it paid with time.
that team produced 50% of siasia’s u20 team that finished second in the wyc 2005

It’s like kenedy chinwo and vanezekin were members of that team too

Is like obinna nsofor was in the team too but was latter dropped when the final team to the World Cup was listed

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 11:58pm On Nov 30, 2021
TheGoodJoe:

Not because he did not get to play in Europe due to some circumstances does not change his status. He was a rare talent and a gem. He was built for the stars. Unfortunately it did not happen. Does not change the fact Osunwa was a generational talent.
bros forget circumstances

From your narrative it implies they re a lot of generational talents that wasn’t even lucky enough to play in the npfl

Go maraccana for ajegunle dem many. You go even see player wey better pass jay jay there but wasn’t fortunate enough to take his game to Europe
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:00am On Dec 01, 2021
charlesemeka85:
that team produced 50% of siasia’s u20 team that finished second in the wyc 2005

It’s like kenedy chinwo and vanezekin were members of that team too

That is why the way Pinnick is running our football is frustrating me. No drive or passion to aim high. We can do it if we focus but, it is always about the money.

Forgetting if we get it right we stand to make more money. Well it is their choice.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:02am On Dec 01, 2021
charlesemeka85:
bros forget circumstances

From your narrative it implies they re a lot of generational talents that wasn’t even lucky enough to play in the npfl

Go maraccana for ajegunle dem many. You go even see player wey better pass jay jay there but wasn’t fortunate enough to take his game to Europe

I will like to know them but unfortunately, you can not tell me their names and history.

Someone like Osunwa, we could. He was special. I told you how he came as an academy player and dismantled the U17. They had to do a rescreen of the team.

He went to the AYC and broke the record there.

Joined Dolphins, won the golden boot.

Went to Sudan and broke records.

This is not some kid juggling balls in Ajegule.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 12:04am On Dec 01, 2021
This is the u17 2003 team

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by SATANlST: 2:28am On Dec 01, 2021
zuchyblink:
show us your real face and send a bank account not wallet
the guy na heavy scammer. scammed me of close to 6k. he has close to 100 profiles all for begging see the quote below, is where he is begging me not to expose him.

JOHNalagwuSCAMM:
SATANIST @JOHNPAUL

Behave. Nah hustle I dey. No disturb me.
I no troll U again, so stay far.
I get your mention for the Goodybag package you quote.

angry

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Karlovych: 4:19am On Dec 01, 2021
Dutch-Nigerian youngster Gibson Yah has extended his contract with Ajax Amsterdam.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 4:43am On Dec 01, 2021
daveP:

Heard he submitted CV sef. Shey no newbie or better young manager dey ni?
Hmm seems you don't trust him

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 4:49am On Dec 01, 2021
elyte89:

Sincerely speaking I would want to go with u on dis...looking back at d years we av been employing foreign coaches...let us juxtapose deir achievement with our local coaches..is dere any much difference? So y waste tax payers money to bring someone who we can easily get d same quality in here with lesser amount?....henceforth,my support is for a local coach to take over from rohr. smiley
I quite disagree with you, since the beginning of the millennium we’ve only had 4 foreign coaches, remove Lagerback (time too short) and you have 3 foreign coaches compared with 7 local coaches. Since 2000 we’ve not witnessed a serious improvement with our football aside the false Dawn of 2013/2014. I say let the NFF do serious search and give it to the most deserving whether local or foreign coach enough of using it to compensate explayers

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 4:56am On Dec 01, 2021
fabyom:
Ejuke plays street football. He needs massive improvement. Always dribbling without purpose!
Yea very true... He's still a diamond in the dirt but the talent is Clear.

He reminds me of a very young Sergio Aguero.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by seankafor(m): 5:02am On Dec 01, 2021
MetalJigsaw:

was aguero a dribbler one time in his career shocked

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by zuchyblink(m): 5:43am On Dec 01, 2021
SATANlST:
the guy na heavy scammer. scammed me of close to 6k. he has close to 100 profiles all for begging see the quote below, is where he is begging me not to expose him.

Lol that small boy with little mind called 'Arabian.... Whatever is empty upstairs,all he knows is to argue like a drunkard
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 6:41am On Dec 01, 2021
seankafor:

This clip will give you an idea of Aguero's dribbling skills while in Independiente.

He was king of that club at such a young age.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKso6MyQHeY
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 6:50am On Dec 01, 2021
charlesemeka85:
mikel always had that elegance in his game but was restricted by Jose and Chelsea

Mike growing up was too smooth on the ball with football intelligence beyond his age

He is blessed but never reached his full potentials

I beg to disagree a little,

Mikel, playing his main position then, means sitting strapped to the bench, cos there is no way an enterprising Englishman will be benched for him,

And Jose don't wanna send him out on loan, hence converting him, and giving him game time, fortunately Mikel, deliver, hence he was kept playing there,

thing is if he had not deliver, none of us would had known the outcome, and having this conversation
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 7:09am On Dec 01, 2021
seankafor:
Of course... If you didn't know him then you've missed a lot.

In his days at Atletico Madrid playing alongside Diego Forlan and co. He was a winger then.

Very fast and tricky although he was a bit more direct.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Curtisaxel10: 7:36am On Dec 01, 2021
andrewbaba44:

And someone is praying for another okocha who they see as a generational talent ,someone that cannot win common apoty

If okocha Na generational talent abeg I no want another one grin

Okocha WAS a generational talent and is still recognized as such even in England. The only problem was that he lacked proper guidance for his career as well as his personal choices.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 8:06am On Dec 01, 2021
AndSunGorilla:

To your point, not a captain based on age and appearances so we don't have another bench candidate as captain. But someone who will definitely deserve a starting shirt and has good charisma and character

Osimhen would be my pick for that role grin ..
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 8:08am On Dec 01, 2021
AndSunGorilla:

Sports ministry that struggled at the Olympics with providing shikini money for kits required.

Corruption abounds in the ministry for sure... But I still think they can pay off Rohr's contract termination fee if they really want to ..
They just need the NFF to scumble to their demand...

Don't forget that th NFF will still earn a fatter paycheck next year should we qualify for the world cup and progress further at the AFCON...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by fabyom: 8:11am On Dec 01, 2021
Cristiano Ronaldo for me is the greatest footballer ever!
No one comes close!
People generally have soft spot for those pretending to be humble while they harbor dislike for those with self-efficacy/esteem.
There is nothing great or joyous in receiving an award you know you don't deserve. Not once but twice! 2010 and 2021.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by temi1290: 8:16am On Dec 01, 2021
TheGoodJoe:

To me it was not one I was passionate about as pure robbery. Can not even remember the details. I talk about the ones I know. Like Zidane - Ronaldo de Lima, Canavarro - Ronaldiho etc.

You can't remember details of 2013, but you remember those of 06 and 98, good

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by temi1290: 8:19am On Dec 01, 2021
andrewbaba44:
Now their new agenda is to talk about 2005 world youth championship Officiating

Shameless people grin

Sore loosers

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by temi1290: 8:39am On Dec 01, 2021
fabyom:
No one comes close!
People generally have soft spot for those pretending to be humble while they harbor dislike for those with self-efficacy/esteem.
There is nothing great or joyous in receiving an award you know you don't deserve. Not once but twice! 2010 and 2021.

Yen yen yiun yiun tfdfjfwsyyy, but Ronaldo accepted 2013 balondor, pained ass.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 8:43am On Dec 01, 2021
Curtisaxel10:

Okocha WAS a generational talent and is still recognized as such even in England. The only problem was that he lacked proper guidance for his career as well as his personal choices.

Recognize in England for doing what exactly ?

Maybe fit always helping Bolton stay at the epl since he was their best player

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 8:44am On Dec 01, 2021
fabyom:
No one comes close!

Buhahahahaha

That’s one is for you ooo ,for the wold we know who is the greatest

Enjoy your opinion jare

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 8:50am On Dec 01, 2021
MetalJigsaw:

A young Sergio Aguero was t dribbling without purpose jare
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 8:51am On Dec 01, 2021
charlesemeka85:
This is the u17 2003 team

I followed this tournament host at Finland ,Na for this tournament I take know Mikel

I think Nigeria was eliminated at group stage

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 9:09am On Dec 01, 2021
andrewbaba44:

I followed this tournament host at Finland ,Na for this tournament I take know Mikel

I think Nigeria was eliminated at group stage
yes. Mikel and sarki were class above their peers in the tournament

The chukwueze we rate so high today wasn’t half as good as Emmanuel sarki then
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 9:17am On Dec 01, 2021
charlesemeka85:
yes. Mikel and sarki were class above their peers in the tournament

The chukwueze we rate so high today wasn’t half as good as Emmanuel sarki then

Emmanuel sarki Na fine player nah ,that’s why he got the Chelsea move maybe

You are right about chuks ,las las Na senior football be the koko
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 9:56am On Dec 01, 2021
fabyom:
Victor Moses is back in Super Eagles! He won us the 2013 AFCON and qualified us for the 2018 World cup. #Factsonly

Vicmo & Chuz on the wings will be fire!
hard to believe this

(1) (2) (3) ... (11786) (11787) (11788) (11789) (11790) (11791) (11792) ... (16433) (Reply)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.