Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,175,025 members, 7,893,788 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 July 2024 at 04:10 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (12554) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (12102946 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12551) (12552) (12553) (12554) (12555) (12556) (12557) ... (16445) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Stormtrooper11(m): 1:37pm On Feb 04, 2022
ChrisKels:

Lol for now, I dun hands off Nwakali matter. Be like him and his family no serious. For their mind, they have made enough money. How many minutes did he play at the AFCON that he had to take this long to return to his club?

grin You wanna abandon Jibola Adebola?? Midfield generalissimo?? Commander-in-chief of the Midfield of the Federal Super Eagles of Nigeria?? grin grin

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 1:40pm On Feb 04, 2022
COOL10:

What I am against is the hypocrisy. If people are willing to condemn Rohr for being tactically inept, why do they turn shy when Eguavoen does the same thing? Eguavoen looked lost that day. He was bereft of ideas.

I understand where you're coming from. We both want the same thing: Good team play with long term results. But we need to be practical here.

It's easy for the Spainish national team to play highly possessive football because that is how most of their players play in their respective clubs. La liga teams are known for this.

It's easy for the German National team to play their highly attacking football with gen gen pressing because that is how most of their players play in their respective clubs. Bundesliga teams are known for this.

Now tell me, what is the NPFL known for? How do teams in the NPFL play? We keep talking about identity, identity, identity, but this so called identity cannot even be reflected in our very own league. No be kick and follow them dey play for there?

If you want the Super Eagles to play highly progressive, highly attacking possessive football, you need the right set of players. You need players plying their trade in teams that support this same philosophy. You need players in Barcelona, Manchester City, Real Betis, Atalanta etc. How many of our players play in such clubs?

It is difficult for players to do one thing in their clubs and to be asked to do another thing in the National team.

Talking about coaching philosophies, take Xavi for example. Leaving Xavi at the helm of affairs is more understandable because we've not only seen the intent to reacquaint the players with the club's age old philosophy, we also know that he'll be given the free hand to buy his desired players.

Eguavoen won't have that luxury being that he's a national team coach. You simply make use of the players you have. Players who are bound to find contrasting philosophies difficult to imbibe.

What is astonishing to me is that you went on and on and failed to say what is your problem with Eguavoen.

Identity:

If there is something Eguavoen did was finally unravel our identity. He made people rethink the Super Eagles. Showed us than passion that came with our play.

Eguavoen showed us selection belief, damning critiques and selected players that suited the Nigerian game.

He allowed us see a template for long term result in the team, showing that the Super Eagles is about instilling fear in our opponents with direct play.

Eguavoen was there for a very short time but in that time, transformed our players and had many playing beyond what people know.

The Eguavoen way was a clear template for long term results. Not short wins. His game was about building a strong Super Eagles that plays a particular brand of football that will cause oppositions problem and have us winning titles in a long run.

So I do not get why you are having problem with him.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by nelszx: 1:42pm On Feb 04, 2022
oloriooko:
I saw a pastor in a church probably not 9ja, 2 weeks ago predicting the outcome of this AFCON, ironically, so far his predictions have been hitting the bull's eye, so so accurate grin grin grin
Show us link or was it physical?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by yinkeys(m): 1:43pm On Feb 04, 2022
Meliforme:

Ndidi and Osimhen have been so exceptional in GWG that's the reason why i didn't place Nwakali over them.

Even for Ndidi, i will dig out posts where many on this thread have berated his quality and said he brings very little, but we see what we see. That was so funny, so funny to the point that except we pointed out his vital blocks, tackles and interceptions, they won't see those. Ndidi is the only identity the midfield has for now and that identity is a defensive identity.

Was it not on this thread that i rated Frank Onyeka of Midtjylland in Denmark over Philip Billing Anyanwu that plays in the EPL. Did you not argue me, Mr Andrew. You can still go on with the debate.

It was still on this thread that i expressed my preference for Sadiq Umar over Taiwo based on the little i saw of him against Egypt. Many came for my head for saying that, now the story has changed.

And now Nwakali.....
That Tunisian beat Ndidi & our right back before taking that hot shot smiley
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 1:43pm On Feb 04, 2022
COOL10:

What I am against is the hypocrisy. If people are willing to condemn Rohr for being tactically inept, why do they turn shy when Eguavoen does the same thing? Eguavoen looked lost that day. He was bereft of ideas.

There is no hypocrisy here at all. The point was simple, playing dross football for short term wins will take us no where. With time, it was clear Rohr was taking us no where.

With Eguavoen, we played in a brilliant fashion which is a sign that with time, we can become a force to reckon with

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by COOL10(m): 2:09pm On Feb 04, 2022
TheGoodJoe:

What is astonishing to me is that you went on and on and failed to say what is your problem with Eguavoen.

Identity:

If there is something Eguavoen did was finally unravel our identity. He made people rethink the Super Eagles. Showed us than passion that came with our play.

Eguavoen showed us selection belief, damning critiques and selected players that suited the Nigerian game.

He allowed us see a template for long term result in the team, showing that the Super Eagles is about instilling fear in our opponents with direct play.

Eguavoen was there for a very short time but in that time, transformed our players and had many playing beyond what people know.

The Eguavoen way was a clear template for long term results. Not short wins. His game was about building a strong Super Eagles that plays a particular brand of football that will cause oppositions problem and have us winning titles in a long run.

So I do not get why you are having problem with him.

So you're telling me you read the first paragraph on my post and still couldn't see my problem with Eguavoen's tactics?

How did he react when he was put under pressure? Did he inspire confidence in any way?
He made more/early substitutions; that's the only thing that separates him from Rohr in terms of reacting when under pressure. It was the same drab football in that Tunisia game.

How will he react when he plays against highly counter attacking teams? How will he react against teams that will refuse to sit back and give us pressure for pressure?

You talked about instilling fear in opponents. I'm sure we instilled so much fear in the Tunisians that they had the temerity to push our defenders into our box and take a shot from outside the box which resulted in a goal that knocked the so called African Giants from the AFCON in the Round of 16. Yeah, good fear undecided

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by oloriooko(m): 2:15pm On Feb 04, 2022
On facebook

nelszx:

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Meliforme: 2:16pm On Feb 04, 2022
do4luv14:

Bear parlour analyst, you will rate Nwakali in the GWG over Etebo

Yes, i rate him over Etebo for now, but from what i have recently seen of Etebo, the rating might change, but for now it is Nwakali over Etebo.

The skillset that Nwakali commands, nobody in the current crop has it. That places him in the foremost. His skillset is needed for composed play. We will make good transitions, we will be more coordinated, if we have at least two players in Nwakalı's mould.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 2:19pm On Feb 04, 2022
Meliforme:

Yes, i rate him over Etebo for now, but from what i have recently seen of Etebo, the rating might change, but for now it is Nwakali over Etebo.

The skillset that Nwakali commands, nobody in the current crop has it. That places him in the foremost. His skillset is needed for composed play. We will make good transitions, we will be more coordinated, if we have at least two players in Nwakalı's mould.

there nothing like for now, how many games had he played in the GWG, for you to rate him over Etebo,

skill set, yet the place that same skillet can take him is not segunda in how many years

Let's us be truthful at times pls,

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Meliforme: 2:22pm On Feb 04, 2022
yinkeys:

That Tunisian beat Ndidi & our right back before taking that hot shot smiley

It would have been 2 nil if not for the same Ndidi.

I am not exonerating Ndidi, but the right back takes the greater blame.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by yinkeys(m): 2:25pm On Feb 04, 2022
Meliforme:

It would have been 2 nil if not for the same Ndidi.

I am not exonerating Ndidi, but the right back takes the greater blame.

I guess I’d watch the game again
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Meliforme: 2:33pm On Feb 04, 2022
do4luv14:

there nothing like for now, how many games had he played in the GWG, for you to rate him over Etebo,

skill set, yet the place that same skillet can take him is not segunda in how many years

I don't need many games to appraise a player or to determine what he can offer. I did the same to Sadiq on his cameo against Egypt when i expressed my preference for him over Taiwo.

The truth is what i am giving you now.

You require more than skills to get to big places in life.
You should know this.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Meliforme: 2:47pm On Feb 04, 2022
TheGoodJoe:

Do not stress yourself too much. Those who understand do. It was like this years ago when people tried to tear Mikel down.

The point is about the quality Nwakali brings to the team. Unfortunately, we can not force him to wake up and get serious with showing the world his ability.

However, that guy has an undeniable mad talent. His performance at the AFCON beat my expectation.

Thank you TheGoodJoe.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Meliforme: 2:48pm On Feb 04, 2022
yinkeys:

I guess I’d watch the game again

Okay.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 2:48pm On Feb 04, 2022
COOL10:

So you're telling me you read the first paragraph on my post and still couldn't see my problem with Eguavoen's tactics?

How did he react when he was put under pressure? Did he inspire confidence in any way?
He made more/early substitutions; that's the only thing that separates him from Rohr in terms of reacting when under pressure. It was the same drab football in that Tunisia game.

How will he react when he plays against highly counter attacking teams? How will he react against teams that will refuse to sit back and give us pressure for pressure?

You talked about instilling fear in opponents. I'm sure we instilled so much fear in the Tunisians that they had the temerity to push our defenders into our box and take a shot from outside the box which resulted in a goal that knocked the so called African Giants from the AFCON in the Round of 16. Yeah, good fear undecided

We did not lose to Tunisia because of tactics. We lost because we failed to take our chances. We had 13 goal attempts.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 2:59pm On Feb 04, 2022
Meliforme:

I don't need many games to appraise a player or to determine what he can offer. I did the same to Sadiq on his cameo against Egypt when i expressed my preference for him over Taiwo.

The truth is what i am giving you now.

You require more than skills to get to big places in life.
You should know this.

be shooting yourself in the foot,

Then who have that more than skills btw Etebo and Nwakali

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TFLASHOGEE(m): 3:05pm On Feb 04, 2022
alekside:
Lol. I remember how one of his praise singers wrote a 3 pages scientific paper on why we conceeded possession against Egypt as a result of the midfield Generalisimo not starting. Fast forward to the game against a relatively poor Guinea Bissau side, the possession was even despite the General playing a large part of the game. I have been waiting to hear from the analyst since then. grin grin grin

Fact is, the guy is not as half as good as he was hyped by his hype gang.
observant comerade I gbadun you grin

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TFLASHOGEE(m): 3:08pm On Feb 04, 2022
[quote author=Stormtrooper11 post=109948866][/quote] comerade you go collect grin if you know follow hype our general wink

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TFLASHOGEE(m): 3:17pm On Feb 04, 2022
andrewbaba44:
I don’t know how can someone be one of the most important player in a national team yet the player is new to the national team and not even a regular or yet to contribute anything

The way some people hype some players is
beyondd me and it’s very annoying
after reading 3 scientific paper and numerous blue font article he wasn't only convince but confused that nwakali is the field Marshall and the only one with special skill set grin and deserve a place in our top 3 if you argue to much you will be served a court latter to be present at the next super Eagles match in abuja to defend your case wink on leaving him out of top 10 cool

7 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Papi85: 3:33pm On Feb 04, 2022
cheesy
TFLASHOGEE:
after reading 3 scientific paper and numerous blue font article he wasn't only convince but confused that nwakali is the field Marshall and the only one with special skill set grin and deserve a place in our top 3 if you argue to much you will be served a court latter to be present at the next super Eagles match in abuja to defend your case wink on leaving him out of top 10 cool

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by joelsteron: 3:34pm On Feb 04, 2022
TheGoodJoe:

We did not lose to Tunisia because of tactics. We lost because we failed to take our chances. We had 13 attempts on goal.

Thank you for telling truth. Cyriel Desser can't be joking with chances as those rookies were. Infact we went to AFCN without any real top 9.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Papi85: 3:36pm On Feb 04, 2022
do4luv14:

skill set with 0 goal and assist this season is that wan skill set? cheesy

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Papi85: 3:37pm On Feb 04, 2022
Meliforme:

you be comedian ooo grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TFLASHOGEE(m): 3:40pm On Feb 04, 2022
Papi85:
skill set with 0 goal and assist this season is that wan skill set? cheesy
baba our midfield general skill set na to throw long balls and recycle ball to boost possession nothing concern am with goal and assist by the time he retire he get plans to open recycling company for aba to continue special skill set wink

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 3:42pm On Feb 04, 2022
https://twitter.com/FisayoDairo/status/1489357745534947331?s=20

Was pretty accurate so far. Let's see what sunday brings.

nelszx:

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 3:45pm On Feb 04, 2022
TFLASHOGEE:
baba our midfield general skill set na to throw long balls and recycle ball to boost possession nothing concern am with goal and assist by the time he retire he get plans to open recycling company for aba to continue special skill set wink

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Meliforme: 3:52pm On Feb 04, 2022
do4luv14:

be shooting yourself in the foot,

Then who have that more than skills btw Etebo and Nwakali

You clearly did not understand me.
What i meant in the second paragraph is that there are other things you require to be in the biggest of places than skills. I said it because you said Nwakali plays in the Segunda division.

We can do without an Etebo, but without a Nwakali our poor coordination and struggles lingers.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tglobal(m): 3:54pm On Feb 04, 2022
Interesting perspective on Rohr's salary, opposition scouting and Ekong's contribution in the Tunisia match

[url=
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4vzsJRQFVY][/url]
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Daninya33: 3:59pm On Feb 04, 2022
joelsteron:

Thank you for telling truth. Cyriel Desser can't be joking with chances as those rookies were. Infact we went to AFCN without any real top 9.

I expressed my fears when Ighalo's participation was jittery.
I expected NFF and Eguaveon to pay a fine and include Dessers but probably they don't think he was good enough.

There are some chances we couldn't convert that Dessers would have converted.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 4:11pm On Feb 04, 2022
Daninya33:

I expressed my fears when Ighalo's participation was jittery.
I expected NFF and Eguaveon to pay a fine and include Dessers but probably they don't think he was good enough.

There are some chances we couldn't convert that Dessers would have converted.
How are you so sure?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 4:28pm On Feb 04, 2022
I and a couple other monikers here talked about us not being distracted by that news from the Tunisia camp. Also, you should always monitor your opposition regardless of the circumstances. All that being said, I do not think we did not come into that game seriously.
There should have been a switch in style noticing that the Tunisians were bent on neutralizing that in the wing. We had something in store in the second half but for two quick unfortunate circumstances. Not to mention not converting our several half chances We would have carried that day but it was not meant to be.

tglobal:
Interesting perspective on Rohr's salary, opposition scouting and Ekong's contribution in the Tunisia match

[url=
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4vzsJRQFVY][/url]

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by zuchyblink(m): 4:35pm On Feb 04, 2022
joelsteron:

no number 9, no goal keeper

(1) (2) (3) ... (12551) (12552) (12553) (12554) (12555) (12556) (12557) ... (16445) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: KpagoGIN(m), kingphilip(m), dymusty86, do4luv14(m) and 11 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.