Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,097 members, 7,880,429 topics. Date: Thursday, 04 July 2024 at 06:09 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (1306) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (12027147 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1303) (1304) (1305) (1306) (1307) (1308) (1309) ... (16408) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:51pm On Aug 21, 2017
pyrex23:

are u a city fan

Look at my signature.
http://www.justcityzens.tk/?m=0
Got too busy to keep writing.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 10:51pm On Aug 21, 2017
Daninya11:

Only time will tell.Lol
Time from when to when?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 10:54pm On Aug 21, 2017
TheGoodJoe:
There is this hunger I see in some players, especially Brazilians I do not see in our players. I think we need to change our mindset and believe we can do better.

My jaw dropped when Danilo made that sprint to get the ball and also take that shot. That is pure hunger and belief in his talent.

There was this long ball that Ederson played. As soon as he hit it, I told someone that is a pass. I was still shocked when the ball landed squarely on Aguero. That kind of ability takes lots of hard work and that is a major determinant for greatness.

Our players need to develop this kind of hunger to achieve extraordinary things.

It goes beyond hunger. Abilities play a major role.

Now you understand why a coach would see more prospects in a Brazilian teen than a Nigerian teen.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 10:57pm On Aug 21, 2017
Icon4s:

Time from when to when?

1st to 4th sept
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 11:03pm On Aug 21, 2017
Icon4s:

Who is that closer RWF?

Moses Simon, Ahmed Musa and Iwobi have all played @RWF. We can add Etebo, Henry and even Imoh Ezekiel. Not forgetting Bonaventure and Kalu.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:03pm On Aug 21, 2017
Icon4s:

Now you understand why a coach would see more prospects in a Brazilian teen than a Nigerian teen.

Either way, Gabriel Jesus conversion rate is still poor. He squanders chances. That is his major challenge. Apart from that, he is superb in his all round play, hardwork, passing, speed, ball control, uses both feet and plays comfortably on all roles in the attack and attack midfield. I still feel Nacho is a better finisher. But, Guardiola wants all round play.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 11:05pm On Aug 21, 2017
Joebie:
Final Score: Feirense 2-1 Ferreira

Feirense's number 1 shirt, Dele Alampasu, was in bench for the second consecutive time.

It takes time but he is doing great for a keeper his age especially when his race is concerned.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 11:06pm On Aug 21, 2017
BascoVanVeli:

Moses Simon, Ahmed Musa and Iwobi have all played @RWF. We can add Etebo, Henry and even Imoh Ezekiel. Not forgetting Bonaventure and Kalu.

Victor Moses towers above all those players you mentioned.

How can you say we should confine him to the RB position. We don't have that kind of options upfront that will warrant us to do such.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:07pm On Aug 21, 2017
Icon4s:

To me it is hunger. I agree these Brazilians have exceptional abilities but it takes hard work to keep growing.

Watching Gabriel Jesus practicing his skills, I wondered if we have players who can spend time working on their skills on the training pitch.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 11:18pm On Aug 21, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

To me it is hunger. I agree these Brazilians have exceptional abilities but it takes hard work to keep growing.

Watching Gabriel Jesus practicing his skills, I wondered if we have players who can spend time working on their skills on the training pitch.

It is a blend of the two but your abilities keep encouraging you to go the extra mile.

When I see how some of our young players are hyped here I just shake my head. Especially when I hear things like 'world beater'.

The Nigerian factor will always set in.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:20pm On Aug 21, 2017
Icon4s:

It is a blend of the two but your abilities keep encouraging you to go the extra mile.

When I see how some of our young players are hyped here I just shake my head. Especially when I hear things like 'world beater'.

The Nigerian factor will always set in.

I get your point.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 11:24pm On Aug 21, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

Either way, Gabriel Jesus conversion rate is still poor. He squanders chances. That is his major challenge. Apart from that, he is superb in his all round play, hardwork, passing, speed, ball control, uses both feet and plays comfortably on all roles in the attack and attack midfield. I still feel Nacho is a better finisher. But, Guardiola wants all round play.
A modern striker does more than waiting for that super final pass to Jab the ball into the net.

Strikers of today are a lot more enterprising in terms of involvement in overall play.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 11:25pm On Aug 21, 2017
TheGoodJoe:
I get your point.
Thumbs up.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 11:42pm On Aug 21, 2017
Icon4s:

A modern striker does more than waiting for that super final pass to Jab the ball into the net.

Strikers of today are a lot more enterprising in terms of involvement in overall play.

the final job of a striker is to strike. If a striker is involved in overall play, but is not scoring those goals, he has failed.

Midfielders are there for creation, defenders are there to defend, if a striker is a hybrid of a MF and DF, but is not scoring, nobody really cares.

The primary aim of a striker is to strike, every other thing is secondary. This clear understanding of roles is the reason CR7 has been trumping Messi for the past two seasons and is set to trump him the third time.

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 12:05am On Aug 22, 2017
safarigirl:
the final job of a striker is to strike. If a striker is involved in overall play, but is not scoring those goals, he has failed.

Midfielders are there for creation, defenders are there to defend, if a striker is a hybrid of a MF and DF, but is not scoring, nobody really cares.

The primary aim of a striker is to strike, every other thing is secondary. This clear understanding of roles is the reason CR7 has been trumping Messi for the past two seasons and is set to trump him the third time.

well said my dear FIRSTLADY cool

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 12:28am On Aug 22, 2017
You are doubting Alli's age, but not doubting Mba's. Double standard oh. These players are not from the MRI era.

Icon4s:

Sunday Mba was 24 when he featured at that 2013 AFCON.

This is the same Rabiu Alli that a lot of people here criticized Salisu for including in the CHAN list.

Nobody has also commended Ikechukwu Ezenwa for the penalty save that ensured we qualified for the CHAN. Why? Because he is Ikechukwu Ezenwa, a guy alongside Akpeyi, that we don't want in the Super Eagles.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 1:02am On Aug 22, 2017
There goes Emmanuel Daniel. The man Nigerians on the Internet want in goal for Cameroun ahead of Akpeyi.
His last competitive appearance should be close to a year now. When we said Daniel was not the answer, it was for a reason.

OFFICIAL: ORLANDO PIRATES PART WAYS WITH EMMANUEL DANIEL

Daniel found game time hard to come by despite Kjell Jonevret rotating his goalkeepers for different competitions last season
Orlando Pirates have confirmed the release of Nigerian goalkeeper Emmanuel Daniel.
He becomes the latest player to leave the club after Oupa Manyisa, Roger Majafa, Brighton Mhlongo, Sello Japhta,James Okwuosa and Donald Mokondelela to mention but a few.
The news was confirmed on Thursday by new coach Milutin 'Micho' Sredojevic in a press briefing, saying they only have three goalkepers right now.
"Daniel is not with us. We have three goalkeepers - Sandilands, Mabokgwane and Mpontshane," Sredojevic told the media.
Daniel leaves the club without having made a single official appearance following his arrival in January.
http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/official-orlando-pirates-part-ways-with-emmanuel-daniel/11whx53z8fzju1q85n6f9vhou0
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by EEGA: 1:30am On Aug 22, 2017
AIG07:
I was about taking this list serious not until I saw Isaac Success name.
Isaac Success will be invited for the cameroon matches and he is likely to start from the bench in one of those matches.Most of the players who played the friendly against Senegal will also feature .Remember we played Senegal in order to be prepared for those two matches against cameroon.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AndreTAyodeji(m): 4:41am On Aug 22, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

Wow. Number 1 shirt. That is interesting. The young man needs to work hard. Get his muscles and reflex sharp.
Giving him the 1 shirt means they believe in him and he is in their long term plans.I really want to see Alampasu and Uzoho in the SE in the next few years.Exciting Prospects!!!

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 5:54am On Aug 22, 2017
Joebie:
You are doubting Alli's age, but not doubting Mba's. Double standard oh. These players are not from the MRI era.

Did I say anything that points to me doubting Rabiu Alli's age?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 5:56am On Aug 22, 2017
EEGA:
Isaac Success will be invited for the cameroon matches and he is likely to start from the bench in one of those matches.Most of the players who played the friendly against Senegal will also feature .Remember we played Senegal in order to be prepared for those two matches against cameroon.

You have a point here

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 6:00am On Aug 22, 2017
safarigirl:

Striking is the primary role. But striking and creating opportunities for others too to strike makes you a better striker.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 6:25am On Aug 22, 2017
tbaba1234:

One example but i will argue Arsenal struggled many times were mental not physical. It is the same reason they capitulate when the pressure is on.
Other technical and less physical teams like Man Utd whooped Bolton left, right and center. Chile are not anywhere close to the physicality of Cameroon.
even Croatia who aren't physical in anyway whopped them 4-0 at the last World Cup

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 6:35am On Aug 22, 2017
pyrex23:
me too was shocked wen tbaba said they werent dat physical....
FYI it wasn't the physicality that got arsenal it was the long balls and negative football wenger always whined about.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by pyrex23(m): 9:33am On Aug 22, 2017
jihday:
FYI it wasn't the physicality that got arsenal it was the long balls and negative football wenger always whined about.
i was referring to cameroon
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 9:39am On Aug 22, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

Compared to our creative players.

I asked you a question, you failed to answer it, trying to counter me with another.

However, my point is we are not creative enough to depend wholly on the sleek/evasive/creative process.

We keep using Chile as an example, saying Chile weren't physical against Cameroon, they were more creative and so... But they were physical enough to not get bullied by the Cameroonians.

Our strength lies not in our creativity, so if we rely on it totally we'd get bullied into submission by the Cameroonians.

So I ask again, this time demanding an answer, HOW MUCH CREATIVITY DO WE HAVE IN OUR PRESENT TEAM??
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by zuchyblink(m): 9:41am On Aug 22, 2017
Cameroon will beat Germany on a rough pitch. We must use physically active players on Cameroon because we would play on a not-too-good pitch. Being technical on physical teams works well on a smooth pitch
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 10:56am On Aug 22, 2017
zuchyblink:
Cameroon will beat Germany on a rough pitch. We must use physically active players on Cameroon because we would play on a not-too-good pitch. Being technical on physical teams works well on a smooth pitch

Please name the "physically active" players that you want Rohr to add to the team.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:31am On Aug 22, 2017
junnyjake:

I asked you a question, you failed to answer it, trying to counter me with another.

However, my point is we are not creative enough to depend wholly on the sleek/evasive/creative process.

We keep using Chile as an example, saying Chile weren't physical against Cameroon, they were more creative and so... But they were physical enough to not get bullied by the Cameroonians.

Our strength lies not in our creativity, so if we rely on it totally we'd get bullied into submission by the Cameroonians.

So I ask again, this time demanding an answer, HOW MUCH CREATIVITY DO WE HAVE IN OUR PRESENT TEAM??

I am not using Chile. I am using our talent on ground. If you list most of our quality players, most of them are more on the creative side than physical.

From Iheanacho, Simon Moses, Victor Moses, Iwobi, Onyekuru, Kayode, Osimhen. These are mostly our forward line.

Even Ighalo does not fall squarely on the physical category. Same with Onazi who relies a lot on hardwork and speed than power game. Echiejile, Seth, Musa Mohammed, are more of speed and skill than what os termed Jam Body football.

Ekong and Balogun are are physical but are also comfrotable on the ball, play on the highline and help in build up play.

Etebo also plays with lots of speed and has creative instinct.

So our strength lies more in speed, skill and creativity than power. We should play to our strength and not the strength of the Camerounians.

Okay.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 11:36am On Aug 22, 2017
the point is they are both old papas. supports my earlier statement
Icon4s:

Did I say anything that points to me doubting Rabiu Alli's age?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by femianski: 11:43am On Aug 22, 2017
good morning everyone in this thread
this would be my first post on nairaland
I av been a ghost reader for about a year
I must really commend you guys for a great work in this thread most especially the goodjoe the supernerd sir icons safari girl

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:45am On Aug 22, 2017
femianski:
good morning everyone in this thread
this would be my first post on nairaland
I av been a ghost reader for about a year
I must really commend you guys for a great work in this thread most especially the goodjoe the supernerd sir icons safari girl

Welcome. I hope we have a nice, informative and educative time with you around. Welcome again and Good Morning.

(1) (2) (3) ... (1303) (1304) (1305) (1306) (1307) (1308) (1309) ... (16408) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: soetanoreoluwa(m), Ginistev, MetalJigsaw(m), Welcomme and 5 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.