Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,843 members, 7,872,834 topics. Date: Wednesday, 26 June 2024 at 11:16 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (1320) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11987392 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1317) (1318) (1319) (1320) (1321) (1322) (1323) ... (16391) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by EEGA: 7:57am On Aug 24, 2017
2018 WCQ: Injury stops Cameroon star ahead Eagles' clash
.com Aug 21, 2017 1:00 PM
By: Ayodeji Tunde Share:
Cameroon
Cameroon’s Indomitable Lions will not enjoy the services of their USA-based star, Ambroise Oyongo for next month’s back-to-back World Cup qualifiers against the Super Eagles of Nigeria it has been confirmed.

Owing to injury concerns. Oyongo’s name will be conspicuously missing when Lions’ coach, Hugo Broos announces his roster for the two crunch matches against Nigeria this Friday, August 25, a week before they face the Super Eagles.

The Lions’ Belgian manager has decided to summon 23 players for both games, ahead of which he is expected defend his call-ups when he faces the Cameroonian media on Friday.

However, Montreal Impact defender, Oyongo, who had surgery in June after picking up an injury while on international duty, is certainly not in contention to add to his Cameroon caps.

The Lions will on September 1 play away to the Eagles, who top Group B of the qualifiers with six points, followed by Cameroon who have two points after two games drawn.

The Cameroonians will hope to get back on track with both matches, from which they hope to get at least a draw in Uyo then make the best of home advantage in the second game on September 4 in Yaoundé
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 7:59am On Aug 24, 2017
the cameroonian football association is in shambles.i think it will work in our favour.there is no better time than now.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Geestunnar(m): 8:03am On Aug 24, 2017
Joebie:
I like to see versatile forwards and midfielders. Considering match ups, it would be easy for the players to switch positions and be unpredictable.
Both Nwakaeme and Etebo can plays LWFs. Both can also play as CFs. Etebo can drop defensively as well at the midfield. And switch to RWF. Moses can play in both wings. He can even cut in while charging forward. That's dynamism. Between Ndidi and MIkel, we would need a dedicated holding midfielder. Our center backs need that cover. With Etebo and Moses at the wings, I think our not too dependable (defensively) full backs will get some support.

In Alampasu, we are see our own version of Donnarumma -- well, hopefully. And that would be the end of our era of average benchwarming goalkeepers..

oya make una come fight

Nice Analysis!!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 8:10am On Aug 24, 2017
Nigerdeltaboi:
ah never play there but I don hear gist wells, e good as AJ boys dey for this match grin

ah be AJ GUY body and soul, and anywia I go I dey rep AJ
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 8:23am On Aug 24, 2017
TheGoodJoe:
Dropping Omagbemi and her two assistants, Ann Cheijine and Perpetua Nkwocha is highly unacceptable. I wonder what Barr. Green is smoking. Someone should get that man out of that office.

that guy is an insult to our game, one of the causes of our national team struggles

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 8:31am On Aug 24, 2017
do4luv14:

ah be AJ GUY body and soul, and anywia I go I dey rep AJ
confirm I have friends in AJ thou
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 8:44am On Aug 24, 2017
Nigerdeltaboi:
confirm I have friends in AJ thou

naso oooo!!!!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by pyrex23(m): 10:42am On Aug 24, 2017
Just decided to try a formation with 3 at d back..... cool
Its wide open for critism nd support smiley

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 10:55am On Aug 24, 2017
Icon4s:

My brother, forget Chelsea matter. This is the Super Eagles.

We can't ignore what he does week in week out. We also cannot ignore that our defense is sometimes leaky. From what I see Moses doing at Chelsea, he would have no problem marking out Bassogog even if it is on the left wing.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 11:01am On Aug 24, 2017
Chisom Egbuchulam excited to fire first hat-trick in Sweden

By admin -
August 24, 2017

Chisom Egbuchulam has expressed satisfaction after he scored his first-ever hat-trick in Sweden in the cup.

BK Hacken defeated Kvibille 9-1 in a second round game Wednesday night with Egbuchulam, who is on a season-long loan from Enugu Rangers, hitting target in 16th, 51st and 72nd minutes.

He also provided two assists.

“I am happy to get my first hat-trick and two assists in our FA Cup…thank you Jesus,” he celebrated on Twitter.

The winger whose goals helped Rangers to an historic league championship last October has gradually found his feet in Europe after his delayed arrival in Sweden.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by DrKlever(m): 11:07am On Aug 24, 2017
pyrex23:
i swear this your formation is best suited for the current eagles players. but i think we can try it after all important Cameroon fixture, maybe in a friendly. my only issue with your selection is Awaziem... Aina trumps him in that position.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Flipo: 11:18am On Aug 24, 2017
Waiting to see some awesome Match
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by pyrex23(m): 11:21am On Aug 24, 2017
DrKlever:
i swear this your formation is best suited for the current eagles players. but i think we can try it after all important Cameroon fixture, maybe in a friendly. my only issue with your selection is Awaziem... Aina trumps him in that position.
thanks....chose awaziem cuz i expected him to play better as a centre back dan aina would...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 11:36am On Aug 24, 2017
pyrex23:
Its wide open for critism nd support smiley www.nairaland.com/attachments/5863123_lineup1_png8e6466948f257f939409ac4b93df0d07
Great formation! Ndidi and Ogu's combination alone is a stellar! talkless of having mikel in front of them, that will mouthwatering and awesome to watch!

When they are not in possession of the ball, Moses and Etebo can assist Ekong and Awaziem as wing backs in defense. While Ogu, mikel and ndidi can comfortably contain the midfield and even the flanks too. with this formation, scoring many goals in a single match will very easy if God be for us. Which means the team can easily outscore the number of goals conceded. Brilliant formation and lineup.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 11:39am On Aug 24, 2017
BascoVanVeli:

We can't ignore what he does week in week out. We also cannot ignore that our defense is sometimes leaky. From what I see Moses doing at Chelsea, he would have no problem marking out Bassogog even if it is on the left wing.

that had been the problem with our coaches, and the more reason why we always struggle to get going on national duty

play the players according to their strengths and position played at club level, and see wonders,

reason y I pick IGHALO as my CF against Cameroon

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by joseph1013: 11:40am On Aug 24, 2017
pyrex23:
It's an adventurous line-up that looks tantalizing. Of course we have never used it so it's too risky in the forthcoming competitive games, but something to think about during our friendly matches.

Something I like about this is that it plays to our strength as we have so many attacking players. In fact when we are at the back foot with the opponent attacking us from all angles, Ogu and Ndidi can also feature as CBs, so they can be deployed so we have 4 at the back, while Ogu and Mikel shield the defence.

Worth giving a look.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 1:18pm On Aug 24, 2017
edi287:

Akpeyi will remain first choice for now in Rohr's eyes.
Apart from Mikel, Ogu has to be the best passer among our CMs. Sure he's not quick, but he can dictate play from deep better than Onazi or Ndidi. He should've played against SA.

I haven't really said it but I thought I was the only who noticed that he is somewhat slow and cumbersome.

Big and powerful yes but fast definitely not, that could be a problem in the first 30 minutes the speed and intensity will bring out fouls for the players who lack pace.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 1:20pm On Aug 24, 2017
joseph1013:

It's an adventurous line-up that looks tantalizing. Of course we have never used it so it's too risky in the forthcoming competitive games, but something to think about during our friendly matches.

Something I like about this is that it plays to our strength as we have so many attacking players. In fact when we are at the back foot with the opponent attacking us from all angles, Ogu and Ndidi can also feature as CBs, so they can be deployed so we have 4 at the back, while Ogu and Mikel shield the defence.

Worth giving a look.

I want Mikel pushing up as far front as he can go threading passes to attacking players and defending from the front not back. But with his focus on attack.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 1:23pm On Aug 24, 2017
jerrythafinisher:

Nah, I don't think Rohr would ever risk starting team rookies like Nwakaeme and aina

The question is about the best players available to us. Considering the right back slot, who is actually better than Aina experienced possibly but clearly much better, Who

I actually think playing Victor on the right wing with Aina as a wing back could give us much joy. Just the club understanding between these two players creates far better understanding and anticipation.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ToluOlDavies: 1:37pm On Aug 24, 2017
Isaac Success staying put at Watford? http://itsagoal.ng/isaac-success-staying-put-watford/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ToluOlDavies: 2:58pm On Aug 24, 2017
Cameroon has landed in FIFA trouble. Advantage Nigeria?

FIFA to send emergency team to run Cameroon Federation http://itsagoal.ng/fifa-send-emergency-team-run-cameroon-federation/

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 3:00pm On Aug 24, 2017
BascoVanVeli:

This is a game we'll need to play to win.

Moses is too useful in our attack to be limited to the defensive role.

The crop of defenders in the list I believe are set out to do the defensive job.

We need to set up the team to win.

We, need not going back and forth on this cos Moses is already listed among the forwards
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 3:14pm On Aug 24, 2017
do4luv14:

that had been the problem with our coaches, and the more reason why we always struggle to get going on national duty

play the players according to their strengths and position played at club level, and see wonders,

reason y I pick IGHALO as my CF against Cameroon

Two factors you mentioned: " according to their strength and the position they play for in their clubs".
You can only play players according to how they play in their clubs if the team is sufficient in all departments.

I think playing them according to the strength of the players and the team holds more sway in the national team setup.

Typically national teams put players in make shift positions because of lack of depth in quality in some departments.

Eg Efe Ambrose featured at RB for Nigeria for many years because of lack of quality RB options.

John Utaka and Osaze Odemwingie were featured more in wing positions because of then lack of quality wingers.

Nani and Christiano Ronaldo were strikers for Portugal in the last Euros. Also David Alaba featured as an attacking midfielder for Austria.

Mikel is playing as an AM for the Super Eagles because he is the most suitable for that position for now.

The ideal is to have players playing in their natural positions but when the ideal condition is not attainable at a material time the available conditions are considered.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 3:19pm On Aug 24, 2017
Icon4s:

This is a game we'll need to play to win.

Moses is too useful in our attack to be limited to the defensive role.

The crop of defenders in the list I believe are set out to do the defensive job.

We need to set up the team to win.

We, need not going back and forth on this cos Moses is already listed among the forwards

Offense sells tickets, defense win's championships. Sad to say we don't have a championship winning defense.

U are the one going back and forth with my opinion. Moses being listed as a forward does not make u right.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 3:39pm On Aug 24, 2017
@bolded. And that applies to BOTH club and country

Modified

e.g Ajagun now playing in right midfield for Kortrijk.
e.g Mikel as DM at Chelsea, maybe because he was not seen as the BEST AM threat compared to other midfielders at the time, or he was seen as the one who could do the Makalele job BEST.

The mistake some of us are making in our argument is that club/coaches don't make different decisions as to where a player plays. It applies to clubs just as it applies to countries. Just because Etebo is seen on the LW at Feirense, does not mean that is his natural position. Club coaches have to make decisions based on conditions (players they have available and the various positions they can play) as well.

Icon4s:

Two factors you mentioned: " according to their strength and the position they play for in their clubs".
You can only play players according to how they play in their clubs if the team is sufficient in all departments.

I think playing them according to the strength of the players and the team holds more sway in the national team setup.

Typically national teams put players in make shift positions because of lack of depth in quality in some departments.

Eg Efe Ambrose featured at RB for Nigeria for many years because of lack of quality RB options.

John Utaka and Osaze Odemwingie were featured more in wing positions because of then lack of quality wingers.

Nani and Christiano Ronaldo were strikers for Portugal in the last Euros. Also David Alaba featured as an attacking midfielder for Austria.

Mikel is playing as an AM for the Super Eagles because he is the most suitable for that position for now.

The ideal is to have players playing in their natural positions but when the ideal condition is not attainable at a material time the available conditions are considered.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 3:47pm On Aug 24, 2017
not bad, as long as Awaziem is solid. But can Etebo handle Basogog. Unless you want to switch Moses to the Left. We have not seen Etebo at the right though.

pyrex23:
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 3:52pm On Aug 24, 2017
BascoVanVeli:
Chisom Egbuchulam excited to fire first hat-trick in Sweden

By admin -
August 24, 2017

Chisom Egbuchulam has expressed satisfaction after he scored his first-ever hat-trick in Sweden in the cup.

BK Hacken defeated Kvibille 9-1 in a second round game Wednesday night with Egbuchulam, who is on a season-long loan from Enugu Rangers, hitting target in 16th, 51st and 72nd minutes.

He also provided two assists.

“I am happy to get my first hat-trick and two assists in our FA Cup…thank you Jesus,” he celebrated on Twitter.

The winger whose goals helped Rangers to an historic league championship last October has gradually found his feet in Europe after his delayed arrival in Sweden.

POWER!

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 3:54pm On Aug 24, 2017
He should go back to La Liga

ToluOlDavies:
Isaac Success staying put at Watford? http://itsagoal.ng/isaac-success-staying-put-watford/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 3:57pm On Aug 24, 2017
I agree, he is a better threat at attack than defense. Should he be more defense minded, do we have the forwards that are good enough to do the job? That's the situation in Chelsea. However, our full backs are not dependable in terms of helping us protect our goals. So either way, i'm not comfortable.

komekn:

I want Mikel pushing up as far front as he can go threading passes to attacking players and defending from the front not back. But with his focus on attack.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 4:16pm On Aug 24, 2017
Roma’s Young Nigerian Talented Right-Back Injured Again
Add Comment1 hour agoby SpotKik Taker91 Views
Nura AbdullahiASroma.com
Share:
FacebookTwitterGoogle

Roma’s talented left-back who was expected to make his Serie A debut this weekend has been ruled out of action for six to eight weeks.

The medical update was released in the Italian giant’s official website, asroma.com, just yesterday. It read:

“The club’s medical staff have issued the following bulletin on the condition of defender Nura Abdullahi:

On Tuesday defender Nura Abdullahi left training after suffering an injury to his right leg.

Medical tests conducted on Wednesday morning revealed evidence of a muscle injury/tendon issue in the femoral biceps of the right thigh.

His recovery is expected to take between six and eight weeks.”

Abdullahi’s rise to stardom have been hindered by frequent injuries, which has seen his market value fall recently.

The 20 year old, who has not featured for any of Nigeria’s underage team, was an instant hit while with Spezia’s youth set up in the 2014/15 season, making 24 appearances at the Primavera youth league, and scoring 7 times from his natural right-back position.

The player was diagnosed with a heart condition early in November 2015, which kept him out of action for 61 days. Later, in May 2016, he was sidelined again due to cruciate ligament surgery, which kept him out for another 263 days in the 2015-16 season. However his limited appearances of 11, for AS Roma in Primavera Group C that season, saw him notching 3 goals and making 2 assists in that number of appearances.

After his promotion to the club’s senior team just before the start of the current season, he was an unused substitute in their 1-0 away win at Atalanta. Bruno Perez who is Roma’s first choice Right-Back, was forced out due to injury during the match, leading to speculations of Abdullahi’s impending debut — but not with this sad medical update.

http://spotkik.com/2017/08/24/romas-young-nigerian-talented-right-back-injured-again/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 4:24pm On Aug 24, 2017
CSKA Moscow Launch N2.57 Billion Bid For Nigeria International Midfielder
Published: August 24, 2017
CSKA Moscow Launch N2.57 Billion Bid For Nigeria International Midfielder Russian Premier League giants CSKA Moscow are hoping to complete the signing of Nigeria international Anderson Esiti before the transfer window slams shut.

Championat.com claims the Muscovites have bid six million euros (around N2.57 billion) to secure the signature of the central midfielder.

Since joining Gent in the summer of 2016, Esiti has been a regular for the Belgian First Division A club and featured in the Europa League last season.

The 23-year-old wore the jerseys of Leixões S.C and Estoril before moving to The Buffalos.

Super Eagles striker Aaron Samuel is on the books of CSKA Moscow, having penned a permanent deal in January 2017.

Igho Kingsley

Photo Credit : kaagent.be

--ANS

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 4:24pm On Aug 24, 2017
Joebie:
I agree, he is a better threat at attack than defense. Should he be more defense minded, do we have the forwards that are good enough to do the job? That's the situation in Chelsea. However, our full backs are not dependable in terms of helping us protect our goals. So either way, i'm not comfortable.

I suspect we will most likely play 4-3-3.

The club understanding that Aina has with Victor will free him up to attack comfortably with Aina over lapping when needed.

I have watched Aina play for years that has been his position since he was 15. I don't think he has anything to learn than perfect his ability from games.

Considering what options we have at RB who do you think is better more experienced yes, but better

Further, most of our RB's in recent times are improvised it's not thier most comfortable position. Efe, Omeruo, etc. Add to that some of these guys will struggle to get into the youth teams like Chelsea where Aina has come from.

(1) (2) (3) ... (1317) (1318) (1319) (1320) (1321) (1322) (1323) ... (16391) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: TheGoodJoe(m), elyte89, Abusule007, isan(m) and 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.